Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales
I know this thread is mostly for trolling but this game could have Morrowind-era textures and I'd still spend 200+ hours crouch-walking the wastes, sniping people in the dick and stealing their clothes so :shrug:. It would be nice if they built upon some of the general gameplay improvements of FNV (ammo types, companion wheel, faction rep, getting rid of Big Guns, etc) but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm guessing there's no way it will be released until 2016, at the earliest? Teasers like this always come out about a year ahead of time, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
I played Fallout 3 first, so I assumed after I went back and played 1+2 I would understand the Harold references in 3.

I still don't. What an awkward mess.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side

Tile wallpaper version tia

Republican Vampire posted:

It's complicated. They've been at war with the NCR since before there was an NCR. They were formed from one of the four factions that emerged from Vault 15 after the Vault collapsed into violent conflict. So there's this long shared history there. Most of their raiding's basically an extension of that conflict, since the only raiding they ever seem to do targets Shady Sands. Sure, they had a couple rear end in a top hat leaders, but on the whole they're pretty chill people who the Republic's treated like poo poo for years. Garl Death-Hand could get along with Killian Darkwater, so clearly they're not that bad. There's a quest in Fallout 2 that involves violently driving them out of their ancestral home and killing most of them so that the NCR can use its tech to launch a violent and corrupt expansion campaign. I think that raiding and doing violence against the people who have been brutally oppressing you for ages is not really that evil a thing to do.

If I'm remembering right the only way to join the Khans in the first game is by beating their sex slaves to death because their boss is bored with them :raise:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side

Republican Vampire posted:

Like I said: They've had a couple rear end in a top hat leaders. But the wasteland as a whole is a pretty toxic place full of horrible people. The NCR is habitually way worse, and so is House by the time New Vegas rolls around.

not really, though

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side

CommissarMega posted:

The NCR is ruled not by its democratic ideals or a President elected by the people, but by brahmin barons and their lobbyists, willing to send hundreds, maybe thousands of their men and women to die in Bumfuckistan, Arizona for more $$$ and prestige, while also being such a bureaucratic nightmare that Fantastic managed to snag an important, high-paying job. Independent endings may leave New Vegas better off in the short run, and maybe you can headcanon a Good karma Courier with access to Big MT as making sure everything stays peachy, but read as written all you're doing is leaving a bunch of independent states too small to resist any organised attempt to take the place over.

Since leaving the technological marvels that are New Vegas and Hoover Dam to the Legion is an exercise in idiocy, the only proper solution is to leave it to someone who can truly appreciate and use them. A leader whose vision, knowledge and foresight had saved Vegas once before, and who also has the will and vision (along with the lifespan to ensure proper enforcement of said will and vision) to do so again.

Hell yeah. This guy gets it. House: good for the Mojave, good for the courier, keeps himself out of trouble with his securitron sex maid.

Blistex posted:

I'm just hoping that they make it so I am not an invincible god by the 35 minute mark like FO3/NV. New Vegas tried to remedy that by requiring 3,500 rounds of .50 AP to kill each of Caesar's men that you would bump into every 15 minutes, but other than that I felt like I was some sort of super-soldier walking around in caveman times.

New Vegas was actually pretty good about the DT system not making things too bullet spongy; even deathclaws and power-armored guys would die pretty quick if you hit them with the right thing. That right thing was usually "any unarmed weapon after getting the perk that makes unarmed ignore DT" but still. There were still a few rough, spongy spots (roboscorpions, the irradiated deathclaws) but it never reached the complete absurdity that was the albino radscorpion.

Having said that I expect Bethesda learned no lessons from NV's example because the exact same bullshit happens in Skyrim after you level high enough :shrug:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side

Crabtree posted:

That's why I really wanted to like the East Coast Brotherhood or the Mid West Chapter from Tactics, certain Elders left to their own devices suddenly realizing the potential they have to create nations or territories for themselves instead of just wasting away until the outside has the numbers and weapons to devour them like another Pre-War relic. Hell, if you even casually try present yourselves as the guardians of people willing to follow your laws, idiots like Three-Dog will gladly preach the gospel of the Good Brotherhood is better than Bad Mutants or Enclave. Of course, there will also be staunch traditionalist that would go against this idea which is also why, in theory, the Outcasts were great. Schisms in the ranks would have been a vastly interesting idea if properly explored. Because then you could see the power minded Brotherhood eventually be the ones to devour the Outcasts as they make no friends or allies in the wastes. The Outcasts would eventually undermine Lyon's authority and Order and they'd have to be dealt with while the Outcasts would desperately call to the West for reinforcements that they ultimately couldn't send thanks to the Brotherhood-New California Republic War.

But seeing as this is Fallout 3, if they followed up on it the Outcasts would then be made cartoonishly evil to set a clear moral choice from the Brotherhood. The dudes in black and red would burn down villages and capture people to be slaves/meat shields to be used in ruin scouting, and even if you sided with them they'd treat you as nothing more than a very talented Wasteland Monkey.

To be fair, while the BoS were a lot more morally ambiguous in the other games, every Fallout lets you, some random jackass, join up if you jump through enough hoops. You even get to chat a bit with your roommate in the first game :v:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side

Duckbag posted:

It's not just minor dialog. Like, the whole reason Redding exists as a town is to mine gold for the new mints that have started up. That's why the three factions are all trying so hard to take control of it. I'm not sure if there's a "canon" ending for Redding, but the Fallout wiki seems to think they joined the NCR (I guess Hanlon's from there?), but I'm not sure I trust them. Anyway, at some point between games, the NCRs gold currency collapsed and they had to switch to paper dollars (I think someone says the BoS destroyed their gold reserves during the war). Gold does still appear to be valuable (I know because I got multiple addictions trying to haul like 30 Sierra Madre ingots), so Redding is probably still around, but it might not matter as much who's controlling it.

A lot of the Fallout 2 endings are left ambiguous in New Vegas. It's not at all clear how much of the north NCR controls, or even how many states they have. A data disk in Fallout 2 establishes them as having five states: Shady (in the high desert near the Nevada border, includes the capitol, Shady Sands, as well as Junktown and maybe the Squat), Dayglow (Ghoul-inhabited San Diego), Angel's Boneyard/Los Angeles, Maxson (built around the Brotherhood base in the Lost Hills/Tehachapi area, it's unclear how far west it extends or what happened to it during the Brotherhoold War), and Hub (The Hub/Barstow. Maybe Necropolis/Bakersfield as well). The Wiki lists Arroyo, Klamath, Redding, and Vault City as having joined as states, but provides absolutely no evidence for this and I think it's just some idiot fan assuming more than is reasonable from the Fallout 2 ending slides (all four communities have slides where they join, but it's unclear when or if those events will happen). I'm inclined based on dialog to think Vault City at least is still independent (the others may or may not be NCR territories), also would make no sense for NCR to have annexed two states in Oregon, but not most of the territory in between. There's a quote I can't track down (might not actually be in-game) about the Mojave being a potential "sixth state" for the NCR, which would suggest that Shady is actually still their northernmost state, but a lot of stuff about the NCR is actually super unclear. Like, there isn't even an official map anywhere.

As far as I can tell, the canon choices from Fallout 2 are:

-The NCR absorbed Vault City and that other vault the Great Khans were loving around in.
-The Chosen One was a male who hosed Bishop's wife and/or daughter without protection, producing an illegitimate son who is a successful night club owner/wasteland explorer.
-The Chosen One killed the Modoc dearhclaw with a sick-nasty eye crit.
-The Wrights still have a controlling interesting in New Reno.
-Marcus lived, Cassidy lived, Myron died.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side

frajaq posted:

I think NMA hated New Reno and that just ain't right :colbert:

New Reno is easily the best part of the original isometric games by a wide margin. So much to do, so many connections between all the NPCs and so many little sidequests and ways to make the crime families permanently hostile to you. Fighting my way out of Salvatore's after turning down his offer to join up is probably one of my favorite moments in the series.

Does any other bit of Fallout even come close to anything like New Reno? Even Freeside/the Strip is pretty pared down in comparison.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side

Rinkles posted:

Speaking of Salvatore's, one thing I missed in the new generation of Fallout was the old world mystique of energy weapons.

It's in service of gameplay balance, but being able to find laser weapons on any random fiend feels wrong. I also don't particularly like the ramshackle look of FO3's EWs.

I actually disagree here (about availability of certain weapons, though I don't mind the ramshackle look). Having a weapon skill that is useless for 2/3rds of the game is bad design. I liked the way New Vegas did it by giving you a clear alternate progression to Guns, though rope kid also mentioned that he considered eliminating Energy Weapons as a skill entirely and just making them the top tier weapon type of each category (pistols, rifles, etc), and eventually it just came down to that being less fun/interesting.

Of course I expect Bethesda to learn nothing from NV and still have a lovely useless Big Guns skill and an Energy Weapons skill that has four weapons in it, two of which you'll never use and two of which are better than every other ranged weapon in the game.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
I'm not sure if I missed the resolution to this but for the guys who were super upset that this game is betraying Fallout's roots by having you play a fairly predefined person, you do realize that every game in the series except New Vegas accounted for literally everything you've done in your life (sat around in a vault/sat around in your lovely tribal village) up to the beginning of the game right? I mean, you even get to talk to your aunt and cousins in the second one. Maybe they were confusing Fallout with the Elder Scrolls or something :raise:

Also, RE:crafting, Jesus Christ I've probably spent hours just getting my player homes in Fallout 3/New Vegas/Skyrim to look right as it is, getting to build my own city and then having to place and replace everything to account for whatever weird clipping and AI pathfinding bugs exist will inevitably lead to me spending like 70% of the game doing exactly that and ignoring the plot even harder
:negative:

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jun 16, 2015

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side

steinrokkan posted:

I think it's that in the previous games once you left for the adventure, you left your background behind, and were no longer bound by any ties to the past (debatable). In FO4, with the PC returning home to his robot, there being an implied plot about his family etc., it seems like the plot will be at least partially about the character reclaiming his pre-war background, rather than about escaping it - so in effect there will be less of a space for player self-actualization. It's all speculation, but it's natural, given how prominently the character background features in all promo materials.

Actually the previous games were about saving and trying to return to your home? The only one where that isn't true is New Vegas.

Also worth noting that you were a straight white person in the first two games no matter what you chose. Well, I guess a female Chosen One could still hit up a couple of the brothels and the male Chosen One could be gay for pay but I wouldn't exactly call that progressive.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side

Mordaedil posted:

It's just going to equate a lost sale, ain't much I can do about that. And there's probably a fair bunch of them, calling them babies isn't going to sway them to either side.

If by 'fair bunch' you mean a very small but vocal minority, then yes, you are correct.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side

CarlCX posted:

I've always sort of felt like Fallout 3 was closer to a sequel to 2, and New Vegas a closer sequel to 1. 1 is a whole lot more serious and dark, 2 is looser and more fun. Before 3 was even a thing people used to be super-upset about how Fallout 2 was perverting the serious tone and lore of 1.

But I think they're all pretty great so :shrug: 4's gonna be fun as hell.

I always saw it the other way around, wackiness aside.

Fallout 1 and 3 have a lot of the same problems; the few settlements are almost totally disconnected and nothing you do at one really impacts the others. The combat is basic and the weapons are limited. The companions were an afterthought and have no bearing on anything that happens.

And then, Fallout 2 and New Vegas have a lot of similar improvements; towns that actually interact in some way. The combat is still lovely, but adds things like ammo types and new weapons to keep it fresh. Companions actually matter and can do things in the plot.

Judging by that metric, we can expect Fallout 4 to have the most in common with Fallout Tactics.

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 16, 2015

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side

Raygereio posted:

Does that mean we'll be getting Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel for Fallout 5? :ohdear:

I'm fairly certain that we, as a society, have decided that Brotherhood of Steel never actually happened.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side

frajaq posted:

I actually never heard about it before you guys just started talking about it, I always thought the only fallout spin-off was the Tactics one

That's because it doesn't exist. Let this conversation be stricken from the record, forever.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
This isn't surprising since Broken Steel added both a perk that made Dogmeat respawn and about 30,000 HP to his health pool. I once watched him solo two deathclaws by slowly whittling their health away, his own never dropping below half. They really, really wanted to make sure that he wouldn't die.

That said I don't give two shits about Dogmeat. I'm glad us gay console babies are getting mods, because the second a 'turn him into Rex' mod is available I will never turn it off.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
I'm not a huge fan of essential NPCs but I do remember when Dawnguard came out and people were pissed that vampires would attack and kill random unimportant merchants and beggars and such. I think people like the idea of some harsh unforgiving game-world more than they like actually playing in it.

Having said that I do like the way Skyrim did it with random companions, where they could be basically stunned by enemies but only finished off by you, that way you could still kill whoever but don't have to worry about that one cazadore or giant radscorpion wandering into town and killing all of Goodsprings.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side

megalodong posted:

Mr Bibs is an exceptional gimmick account but you really shouldn't take him seriously.

I thought the point of gimmicks was to make low-effort shitposts, not post paragraph after paragraph about how loving retarded you are :raise:

OwlFancier posted:

Uhhhh why?

I mean, you could basically tell everyone to get hosed every step of the way during the fallout 3 plot, as well as ignore the plot entirely if you wanted to.

You are required to do plot things to progress the plot, obviously, because that is how a story works, but you can approach it in a variety of ways.

I think the main problem people had in Fallout 3 is more that you can't progress in the game without being a good guy. You can enslave half the wastes, blow up Megaton and eat everyone you kill, but you're still going to help your dad tinker with a water purifier, because that's what good guys do. You can be kinda mean to your lovely, stupid dad if you want, but you'll never not help him fix the purifier, and there's absolutely no alternate approach to this situation either. And "just don't do the main quest" rings pretty hollow considering one of the DLC doesn't start until after you finish it.

New Vegas doesn't do this; there is always an alternate path. If you do the NCR path, you won't even necessarily ever meet Caesar or confront Benny, which is strange considering most people consider that the 'best' ending (its actually House, but I digress). Of course, New Vegas is an outlier in that regard, being the most open-ended game in the series by a wide margin, but it's not like Bethesda couldn't do those things if they really wanted to (they don't).

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side

OwlFancier posted:

You are entirely able to use it to murder everyone in the wasteland if you want to though.

Yeah, but for no personal gain or benefit whatsoever, and you still basically play a good guy up until that exact moment. It would be like if at the end of Die Hard John McClane just decided to shoot all the survivors after beating the bad guys. It's dumb and basically nonsensical.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side

sout posted:

I know, just a dumb observation. Do they say where everyone gets their purified water in Fallout 3 before Broken Steel?

I wanna say they at least made a token effort to show that the bigger settlements like Megaton, Rivet City and Tenpenny Tower had some kind of small-scale water purification thing going on. You even fix the lovely, leaky one in Megaton I think, though the others all just seem to exist offscreen.

The fridge stocked with purified water was just a one-off event, which also makes no sense because it's humans vs. ghouls and ghouls suffer no ill effects from drinking irradiated water and oh God it's the ending all over again nngggghhhh

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side

Mordaedil posted:

The first Fallouts and nearly no RPG ever (that I've ever played, but I hate the Witcher so ymmv) has put you into a relationship at the beginning of the game, given you an off spring that is yours and essentially forced a religion on you.

I mean, I see a lot of you defending this, but it's frankly something I don't see much outside of narratives that are more common in first person shooter games and the like. But I guess if you count Bioshock as an RPG, then that'd explain why you'd be okay with this. Personally though, I accept a certain amount of limits pushed on my character, like where he came from, where he grew up, what his past family was, his siblings, mother, father and such stuff. But spouse and child? That is really something I would like a say in, for an RPG. Otherwise I'm just playing someone elses character after they left the game and that makes me super uncomfortable.

I think the problem is that you can, generally speaking, either have a reactive plotline or have a total blank slate. While it's great that you can play a cannibal wizard cat-man gay married to a lizard-man in Skyrim, the game will treat you the exact same way it treated the guy who went with the generic Nord hero and that's way more jarring and immersion-ruining than 'my character was married at the start of the game'. And while that may be slightly better for your head-canon, most (filthy casual) gamers want a voiced and somewhat defined character you can push in different directions, because then the game-world will actually react to this character.

quote:

But I'm okay with it assuming they are fake memories put in my head as I'm an android, so don't expect me to be boycotting or anything. I'm thoroughly hyped, it just put a damper on it for me, is all. You can't erase that, but you apparently can ridicule me for feeling that way.

Yep! I mean, you won't know what the plot twists are until the game's been out awhile, so I guess you're either going to wait to buy it until someone spoils it for you, or just play the game normally but then if it's ever revealed that your memories aren't fake then you'll turn off the game in disgust I guess :raise:

And yes, if you're the guy who could only enjoy New Vegas by pretending the Courier was secretly the Lone Wanderer or a time-traveling alien or something then that's stupid and you're stupid.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side

Praetorian Mage posted:

I can understand this, which is why my ideal situation would have you choose some parts of your background during character creation.

If Mass Effect or DAO are anything to go by, that just adds a handful of moments where they kind of awkwardly fit it into the pre-existing plot dialogue :effort:

And not saying this is an either/or situation, but I feel like being able to craft an entire shanty town down to the style and placement of the furniture is far more interesting in terms of role playing a certain 'character' than whatever job your guy had in the first five minutes of the game before the bombs dropped.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
A lot of people are ragging on Fallout 3 for having 'bad' characters and a 'nonsensical' plotline, but I just started replaying it when the Fallout 4 news hit and two hours in I was half-dead and addicted to whiskey, sold a flamethrower I'd found on a corpse to a wandering doctor to cure my addiction, and then watched as she proceeded to equip said flamethrower and singlehandedly burn an entire raider camp to the ground.

What I'm saying is you have to make your own fun in Bethesda games.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side

Sharkopath posted:

From what they've released so far the UI for the vault suit and power armor at least is customizable by limb, but also they've shown off a few different versions of what you can wear over the vaultsuit.

I really hope Scum isn't just a class of raider and if you decide to antagonize them all raiders get labeled as raider scum.

I'm gonna guess that it's going to be like Bandit, Bandit Outlaw, Bandit Highwayman and etc. from Skyrim.

I also super hope that they've found a way to do late-game combat that isn't just adding 10,000 HP and 85% DR to enemies which has literally been the same problem in Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Skyrim. Say, by adding some kind of damage threshold system, possibly with different types of ammunition? Just a thought.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
Yeah, I'm gonna guess that only a certain subset of mods approved by Bethesda will make it to consoles. It'll likely mean never getting to experience firsthand the ability to rape Sonic the hedgehog but it's something us gay console babies will have to learn to live with.

ThePutty posted:

can someone tell me what the point of the settlement customisation stuff is? is it just going to be a place where you can buy poo poo from vendors and absolutely nothing else happens of importance, or will it actually effect poo poo in the wasteland? it's kind of like yeah, that's cool and all but i really don't see a point in actually going to the effort of making a big clubhouse that raiders attack every 3 ingame days

Has Bethesda made a game yet where your actions in any town affect things in other towns? Blowing up Megaton doesn't even elicit that much of a response, I can't imagine that the inhabitants of Fucktown or Bonerville are going to have a huge impact on the wasteland especially after Todd Howard went out of his way to mention it's more of an optional sidequest than the main emphasis of the game.

Phlegmish posted:

It will probably a pointless minigame as strongholds usually are.

All video games are pointless, sorry if you're just finding this out now.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
You nerds talking about gameplay and reactivity are ignoring the important questions.

Namely, if I don't take off my wedding ring before utilizing Fisto's services, am I cheating on my dead husband?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side

King Vidiot posted:

Speech is great because it's entirely optional and just affords you another way to bypass quests you don't want to do. The two big things you miss out on without Speech in New Vegas are Cass' quest and recruiting Arcade Gannon. While those are two cool companions and it sucks not getting to run around with them, they're not essential by any means.

You can still recruit Cass with decent barter, and Arcade by either helping the Followers enough (donating a bunch of meds), lowering INT enough that he takes pity on you or just by being super, super gay.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side

Reason posted:

I don't mind if they consolidate the ammo dealing with a million different types for a million different guns made me CRAZY.

So between this post and the guy who said having a Speech skill was too hard are people just fakeposting or are gamers really just this dumb now :raise:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
Is using your weapon until it breaks seriously a problem for people playing F3/NV? The game literally warns you when it's about to happen and there are both items to repair it with and people who can do repairs in abundance (to say nothing of weapon repair kits and Jury Rigging in NV). I think it maybe happened to me twice in the 300+ hours I've played.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side

Walrus Pete posted:

"It's easy to manage" isn't enough of a reason to keep including a feature that adds nothing to the gameplay.

I was always a fan of it, actually. Stripping the pieces off of four or five lovely hunting rifles just to get yours in decent condition conveys that post-apocalyptic vibe quite well. Also, if we take out degradation that would mean that big, special weapons have to either be extremely rare, which is unfortunate because fleeing in terror as super mutants spray minigun fire at you is a highlight of early-level Fallout 3, or be extremely cheap so you can't just sell a dozen of them, which is dumb because an intact minigun should be an insanely good find in the wasteland.

I actually thought the durability-free smithing skill in Skyrim was pretty bad, too. I mean, I like that they added crafting, but playing as an adventurer who takes the time to poo poo out a bunch of iron daggers and rings every few days vs. someone who just maintains their gear regularly a la Morrowind/Oblivion seemed pretty dumb! And also as a result of that half the weapons/armor in the game cost about as much as a cheese wheel and a jug of wine to balance the economy.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side

King Vidiot posted:

But you wouldn't have the required Science and/or Repair skills by then, and the materials aren't that common on the road to Primm. You'd have to go way out of your way, like east to Repconn, to get the parts you need.

Maybe you wouldn't :colbert:

I always bump repair first thing, and that Lone Wolf shack near Primm has all the items you need that aren't in the town itself. Having said that, as a diehard New Vegas fan I hate the whole Primm/Mojave Outpost area and all the little quests there and usually skip straight to either Novac or Freeside. As a result I never pick up ED-E until late-game, even if I'm playing as Dr. Scientist.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
Holy poo poo people defending the weapons in Fallout 3, there are literally five unarmed weapons in the entire game including all four DLCs. There are two shotguns. There is one sniper rifle called 'Sniper Rifle.' The Big Guns category may as well have not existed, and the most varied weapons available are melee weapons, all of which are worthless after about Level 5.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side

Rutibex posted:

But they took out the Rock-It-Launcher, why does Obsidian hate fun? :(

It unfortunately didn't work right with their baller ammo system. Unfortunate, though Big Guns is such an incredible waste of points in F3 that I only ever used the Rock-It Launcher briefly as a gimmick to kill raiders with teddy bears and pool balls that I could've otherwise one-shot anyway :shrug:

2house2fly posted:

Please don't misrepresent the weapons, there are also unique versions of each one with an identical appearance but a funny name.

Okay, there are two shotguns and then two other shotguns that look and act identical to the first two in every way but do slightly more damage, and there are six unarmed weapons :toot:

Pretty sure that if you include GRA there are literally more unique guns in New Vegas than total guns in all of F3.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
I would rather talk to a Confederate apologist for a full hour than someone who cares that much about gun realism in video games.

Actually there might be some pretty big overlap, there.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side

Minorkos posted:

Agreement. I hope bullet casings fall upwards into the sky in Fallout 4 because frankly that's a lot cooler than them falling boringly into the ground.

Agreed, and instead of walking people should teleport by farting and have knives for eyes, and this is all just as fantastical and implausible as a gun working slightly wrong because I have severe autism.

sout posted:

Having played more Mass Effect, Shep just shot this guy in the face and killed him when I thought I was just going to threaten him through the dialogue wheel. Don't think I got bad karma either.
Oh well, I guess I'm roleplaying Wild Card Shepard then. Which is what I'll have to do in Fallout 4.

Was it the dickish corporate guy on Feros? You need bizarrely high paragon/renegade points to talk that guy down, otherwise every option leads to you shooting him in the face. Kinda strange for some mid-level office bureaucrat :shrug:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
Personally I think they should go full-on gay characters or not deal with it at all. Was anyone playing Skyrim really satisfied to find out literally everyone in the province is a bisexual (but only for the PC, outside of that you see zero gay relationships anywhere ever). Same with the Hawkesexual poo poo from DA2. I liked how New Vegas did it by making being gay part of Arcade and Veronica's personality and backstory, but then Obsidian was also wise to completely exclude player romance at all (Fisto aside).

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side

Kurtofan posted:

The previous games are there for comparison's sake, we compare and we find that bethesda's narrative is much more limiting in many aspects, including this one. No one is "demanding" anything, just saying "hey look how lovely this is".

Not really. If you take out New Vegas all the previous Fallout games were pretty similar to this one in terms of predefined backstory and heterosexuality.

Not saying that makes it okay, but it's better than the Skyrim method of making everyone 100% bisexual and/or down to gently caress lizardmen.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side

Psychotic Weasel posted:

You could play doctor with some drooling moron in Modoc in FO2 and after being walked in on you're forced to get shotgun married to them.

Wasn't that gender specific, though? Like if you're a girl you gently caress the guy's son and as a guy you gently caress his daughter. At least that's the way I remember it :shrug:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
Hey JackBadass could you use your gimmick of defending the shittiest parts of Fallout 3 to talk about Little Lamplight, curious to see what you come up with tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side

JackBadass posted:

I'd dumb it down for you, but I don't think I could make it any more simple.

I jumped ahead thirty pages, bravo on keeping the low-effort trolling going this long. I mean, it's in the easiest thread to troll outside of D&D so that's not a huge accomplishment but still :golfclap:

• Locked thread