Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

A few observations having just gotten the game.

Dogmeat is a loving idiot and constantly gives away my position, runs off for no reason, and sits on whatever I'm trying to loot. Despite this, I can't stay mad at a dog wearing goggles

The enemy AI is so much better than it was on FO3 and FONV that I'm consistently being reminded of the lovely habits I formed fighting them and have to actually think about what I'm doing.

I can't be the first one to say this, can I assume that It's A Man is universally regarded as the new Johnny Guitar?

And one question. I'm building my first settlement and keep getting a notification to connect devices requiring power to a generator. I had originally built something that required power but put it in storage when I realized I had no copper. Is this a known bug?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Found a container with 10000 rounds of 5mm in Cambridge. Obviously I'm running around in power armor with the minigun for the forseeable future, but that has to be a bug, right?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

7c Nickel posted:

What it actually is and what it's intended to represent might be two different things. What it actually is one of the architectural busts you see around the city. They style is a little more abstract than most but it's just a human head. By scaling it up 3 or 4 times and covering up 90% of it with mud you get the impression that it's part of some 500 foot tall statue/corpse of some weird slit eyed alien being.
It's a reference to Lovecraft's [i]The Shunned House/i]. Here's what it looks like from outside the map where you can see the whole thing http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/fallout/images/9/9a/Dunwich_Borers_Bust.png/revision/latest?cb=20151117192530

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Is there a cumulative quicksave/autosave bug like in previous games, or have I just screwed myself up with mods?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

marshmallow creep posted:

Both are very possible. I'd try turning off auto-saves and trimming your save file folder down to just the stuff you've done in the last day or so to see if that helps.
I'll try that. The specific problem I had with my past two playthroughs is that after a while, I couldn't fast travel because it would sit on the fast travel screen forever. It wasn't freezing up completely since the text would change, the model would keep spinning, and the Vault Tec logo was still animated, but I would have to Alt-quite with F4 and end the process through task manager. In the last one I gave up on, I also couldn't sleep because the screen would go black and nothing I tried would fix it (timescale, image modifier reset, changing cells, etc.)

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I feel like this is an unrealistic hope, but I'd really like to see some light multiplayer in the next game. I like building settlements and it's relaxing to spend a couple of hours building something nice, but at the same time it's kind of unfulfilling that it's just for me to run around in and not something I can easily share with other players. I'd also love to see a better build interface with 3D mouse support, but I recognize that it's such a small niche that it's unlikely that they would bother to include it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

tweet my meat posted:

Honestly, I think one of the biggest flaws in the game is the lack of unique loot. Every area has basically the exact same drop table, there's only a small handful of unique weapons in the game. Looting is such a big part of the game and it all feels so homogenous when pretty much every area can spawn the exact same stuff, and any cool weapon variant can just be crafted.
It's not just the loot, it's overall homogeneity. I installed a whole bunch of mods and tried to build each settlement up in a unique style, but after 4 or 5 it's more of the same. I get bursts of a week or two where I feel creative/want to blast stuff/want to build and play every day, but after a week or two I get bored of it and drop the game for a few months. To the good/bad discussion, they did something right if I have almost 800 hours of gameplay, but those hours are a lot of duplication of effort and following the main storyline to get back to where I was before adding a new mod to make it interesting screwed up everything and made me start again. I don't fault Bethesda for mods screwing up saves, but there's something to the fact that I still enjoy playing the game but have to take months-long breaks at a time because it gets monotonous and I want to do more.

That said, I hear the final battle in New Vegas was good, I should probably actually finish the game at some point because I'm going to have another Fallout game to complain about someday.

• Locked thread