Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The idea that New Vegas is too linear or something is also kind of stupid unless you also think games like Fallout 2 were too linear. You could go to San Francisco right at the beginning if you wanted to, but you clearly weren't supposed to, and doing it once you knew it was there and what to do functioned as an incredible sequence break that made the midgame a joke when you went back and did it.

Having a critical path through even an "open" worldmap is normal for RPGs. Bethesda games are the only ones that are different, and a lot of the mechanics that annoy people about them like pervasive level scaling are a byproduct of that choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

cargohills posted:

Did you know that Fallout 1+2 and Fallout 3+NV are games made in a different style and that something that works in Fallout 2 doesn't necessarily work in NV?

Don't talk back to me, kid. You'll get bruised!!!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I liked that there were no clearcut good guys in the Skyrim civil war. Skyrim channeled the major dynamics and themes of Morrowind hard - colonialism, the battle between imperialist powers and indigenous cultures with nasty slavery-shaped skeletons in their closet - and while I didn't think it was as well-written or fun to explore there were hints of the same interesting ideological struggles going on. My least favorite thing about New Vegas is that there is no meaningful ideological conflict aside from how you feel about the NCR; regardless of how you feel about the NCR's worst assimilationist tendencies, Mr. House is completely self-interested and Caesar's Legion is loving evil. There's no reason for a sane player character, whether heroic or selfish, not to choose the NCR or independent paths.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ShadowMar posted:

Please don't make me imagine a Fallout game with literally nothing but memes as dialogue.

What if I told you it already exists...

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I ultimately prefer NV as a game but the guy is right that the opening of Fallout 3 is better

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Bholder posted:

They say F2 was poo poo, so they must be wrong.

So just to be clear is Fallout 1 the only game in the six game series they're ostensibly a fan community for that they actually like

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

cthulhoo posted:

im sorry bethesda is not designing this installment of their perennial hiking simulator for tumblrinas

not yet, at least

jesus christ shut up you whinging human being

you guys are worse than the people you hate

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

He really isn't, though.

NOT YET, AT LEAST

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

cthulhoo posted:

are you feeling microaggressed by my poasting

no i just think you're a tedious idiot

i mean in fairness so is the other dude but

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I Will Play Fallout 4

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Neeksy posted:

a non-cypher protagonist with established characteristics is a negative thing for a game to have on pure principle

This is a stupid thing to think wrt "games" but gets a lot less stupid in the context of a genre and series defined by your ability to create a character and make choices; there's a reason TES does "you're a prisoner" as the setup for every game in the series aside from tradition or Bethesda being uncreative, it's also an amazingly good RPG character design hook by giving you a little bit of something to hang a personality/backstory on that is in no way definitive or railroading

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know that any choice they make could quadruple their market share, weren't Fallout 3 and Skyrim megahits regardless of their lack of a voiced protagonist?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ChogsEnhour posted:

If you start with 0 Charisma how did you get a wife and child?

:q:

10 Luck

And yeah it's less "BLLAAARGH VOICE ACTING WILL RUIN THE GAME NEVER CHANGE ANYTHING" and more "voice acting seems like a really questionable cost/benefit for players, and it's not like these games were critical and commercial failures in desperate need of more mass appeal"

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

frajaq posted:

I'm super happy the dog will have a tackle attack, the dogs companion in Fallout 3 and NV always felt useless to use

Dogmeat in 3 was p indestructible though, I went in some office building and he rounded the corner barking then came flying through the air back out of the doorway on-fire (apparently he ate a direct hit from a rocket or something) and slammed into the far wall and I was like "oh man my dog's dead"

He wasn't dead. He still had most of his HP.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

oblomov posted:

Why exactly? I pretty much play Bethesda games as a sandbox and it only really shines with mods. There is little point of pre-ordering unless mod support is there. I will still get the game but will now likely wait couple of months for the creation tools and some patches.

He could be saying "it is the dumbest poo poo that the mod tools for the most popular mod games won't come out for six months", and not talking about you

I don't see an issue with waiting, though; the worst case scenario is you get the game for 30 or 40 bucks on sale next summer instead of paying 60 AND have a better experience, I've never understood why gamers make such a big deal about being early adopters when games are almost always noticeably better 12 months later than they are at launch now (less bugs and more content at a lower price)

Baku fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 15, 2015

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Walrus Pete posted:

In a word - impatience. Nobody wants to wait for anything if they don't have to. Also, there's some value to be had in the shared experience of playing a game when it's at its most active and relevant, which is virtually always right after it comes out. Even for a single player game, there will never be a more active discussion around a game than when it's brand new.

Yeah I can see that, but you also get my point, right? I never played Borderlands 2 and didn't think it was worth $60 so a buddy and I just got it this Steam sale to try out the co-op. I paid $9 for the same game/content that originally sold for over $100 in total and aside from being part of a cultural conversation or whatever our play experience will probably be better due to an abundance of things like bug fixes, balance adjustments, and recommendations from the community like "use cheat engine to raise the drop rates".

Being months/years behind the new release cycle of games you're interested in owns in some ways.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

I chose that perk three levelos ago,not exactly knwing hwta it meant,and now im regreting the decision,Would it be worth it to go back to a save before i got it?I like the extra damage against the guys,but it technically makes my charecter gay,and i dont really want that..

The thing I find weird about peoples' reaction to it is that besides the damage bonus all it does is open up new dialogue options that let you flirt with dudes and poo poo. If you don't want to be a gay guy you can just... not choose those?

Kind of a "lady doth protest too much" thing imo. Also you can just take Lady Killer too.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ShadowMar posted:

it's true, everyone knows bisexuals are the most hardcore of all humans.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

F.A.G.G.O.T. posted:

I'm old and I still love video games. Fallout 4 looks bad.

look forums user "human being", I know your hearts in the right place and I love video games too, but given that you haven't posted about any other videogame except mechwarrior online in the year 2015 i'm going to have to take this post with a grain of salt

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Meowbot posted:

im not trying to be mean but there needs to be some equieliubrium because its like theres a lot of animocsity that should be better used for todd howard and his lying bag of tricks like an evil felix the cat

post some leaks, talk about ur fallout experiences and chillax

Today I fired up new vegas since my titty mod was fuckin up the game, I decided to see maybe if it would work - I got ENB working with 1920x1080 in new vegas and all of the colors were super bright butI was like ok ... heres mys tory

I put on the "metal armor" on my wasteland waifu, equipped the only shotgun I had after punching some brahmins and having to reload. I then started the arduous trek from goodsrpings to primm and some guy was like

HEY, can you help me? as I loaded up VATS. HE was bitching about something, and all I said to him was "Sorry, I Got my own problems" GOODBYE and he was like "I Really hope that my girlfrien..." but it was too late, VATS had a 98% critical chance on his head. Like a beautiful hummingbird in flight all of the sounds around medisappeared as his head exploded i nto a fine mist and his body crumpled up before me.

Good I thought. gently caress him I thought.

I moved on, there has to be more people to kill I thought. Some "Posh gangers" or something that had chibi faces had giant tits stretching to the horizon as I thought I was hallucinating because there is SOMETHING REAL wrong with my inztallation of the game, all of the textures and models pop in and out and a huge blue light shows up (If you dont believe me I will fraps this because its kinda funny) ... so I see these two girls throwing bottles or grenades at me? Well, time to die I think. I line up some shotgun blasts and watch their titties stretching to the horizon collapse and coalesce into more halluninogenic colors.

Ah, Primm. That was a long trek! At least 2 or 3 minutes in a "running animation", another town to unleash my hell. I see a guard, he tells me to go somewhere else? No, not today fucker. I kill him and his body starts spinning out of control and other guards shoot me and I die. as I fall to the ground I decide thats enough fun for one day. This was my new vegas experience. Now I see why people like Fallout. This will be a memory that will never die in my eyes but it wasnt the jankiness of bethesda, it was the jankiness of my 100+ mods that didn't want to play together and they created a wonderful short lived experience.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
worse, his count is off!!!! there's actually two fewer rifles than that in fallout: new vegas. time for a recount!!!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Effectronica posted:

There are several million people who believe in a flat earth, but I can go about my day without handwringing about how they might be right.

Why do you post in D&D then

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
if you think oblivion is a better game than skyrim you need to turn your freaking monitor on!!!

EDIT: BITCH!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

VideoGames posted:

can people please try and be positive. so much negativity all the time turns you into unhappy husks. not fun at all

bbb...bbbbut....but... how will people know i'm old as hell then?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Bholder posted:

Again, because the complaints are asinine, easily ignored, similar to ones found in other games or just based on empty nostalgia.

ppl like that guy also labor under the delusion that they're waging war on groupthink and preventing games from being an echo chamber, when in reality being relentlessly and obsessively critical about trivial nonsense is the most universal kind of posting

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

sector_corrector posted:

It's funny to call graphics, AI, and engine performance trivial issues. It's also funny to see people jumping down my throat for such a bland comment.

sector_corrector posted:

I'm glad that they're bringing back the gently caress-awesome memes that we all loved, but with a new, more epic catte twist. Classic Bethesda.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
gas

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

FauxGateau posted:

Ah the shield of the idiot.

nobody wants to borrow your shield, fag!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Effectronica posted:

*in an increasingly frantic voice* You don't know! It could be Bethesda is addressing the consequences of nothing but Fancy Lads Snack Cakes and Sugar Bombs Cereal surviving the apocalypse, causing everyone's teeth to fall out! Yeah! Epic! This game is going to be so much Fun!!

just point to the place on the doll where the bad-sounding raygun touched you already

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Enjoy jail.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Harrow posted:

What about CHA? I've read that persuasion checks don't really affect quest outcomes this time around--more just bargaining for better rewards--so now whether I level CHA or not is going to depend on if the perks are worth it. Like, Local Leader--what do you actually get for those supply lines?

Seconding this question, in particular I wanna know if Inspirational (the 8 Cha perk) makes the dog better or just humanoid companions, because my goal is to do the ultimate powerfull dog build and if it does help then I guess I'm doing a Charisma playthrough for my first guy

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

I'm pretty sure it applies to the dog too. The Dog-specific perk is for his grab attack only.

Cool thanks. Also I assume the answer is probably no but since Skyrim DLC added it it's worth asking: is there a way to respec your character without cheating?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Soral posted:

the game is designed to be played by small children and the mentally impaired so if youre thinking about "builds" and "planning" going in youre already putting more thought into character creation than anyone at bethesda did

this doesn't even make sense, the scaling in oblivion/fo3/skyrim was such that it's actually pretty easy to completely gently caress yourself over by being a noob to how videogames work or trying to do something like maxing talk skills or crafting first

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

FauxGateau posted:

Is there a Katana in the base game? As I'm just gonna rush that hanzo steel.

behold

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Tenzarin posted:

Its a shame bloody mess was removed.

it's supposed to still be one of the luck perks?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Third World Reggin posted:

I feel like I am in the fall out 3 thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QBl-BuEIV8

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Harrow posted:

I wonder what Codsworth calls you if you give your character a first and last name and both of them are on his list of things he can say. If I name my guy Leo McCoy, is he going to call me Mr. Leo or Mr. McCoy?

Mr. McCoy, which makes the inclusion of names like "Spider Jerusalem" and "Katniss Everdeen" that you're obviously supposed to use as first/last kind of weird.

Mister Adequate posted:

I really feel like the game, at least so far, would be significantly enhanced had there not been the scene with Baldy killing Spousey and stealing Babby. Just have you wake up, open up your husband's cryopod, and oh poo poo he's dead and Shaun is missing. And that's it. It would not, it seems, have changed anything else so far, but it would have kind of enhanced the mystery and the feeling of entering a different world that Fallout is supposed to evoke.

I totally agree about this. It would've also reduced the sense of narrative urgency in an open-world game, and prevented you from witnessing an inexplicable "woke up in the middle of cryo sleep for no reason" scene.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ShadowMar posted:

how do you get a law degree with 1 INT

bribery

actually the diploma is just in the house at the beginning, I'm not sure if it specifies whether it belongs to you or your spouse even when you inspect it

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
What's the deal with/what triggers the mutation healing thing on boss enemies, anyway? I died to a legendary super mutant because of it, and then killed a legendary raider earlier that did it once but never again.

Do they all just do it once?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Broken Cog posted:

Anyone know where the INT bobblehead is? I want that 6th int point so I can get Science! but I don't want to waste a perk point going over.

Boston Public Library, northeast of Diamond City. You'll need either the first rank of Locksmith or possibly a long trip through the subway station beneath it to get in. Explore thoroughly, and look out for robots and mutants. If you don't interfere they'll do a good job killing each other.

• Locked thread