Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I don't think I'm better than other people. I am, emphatically, better than a cow. I'd save a human being before I saved a cow. I recognize there may be a threshold issue, and would think twice before eating dolphin or chimpanzee, but by that point we're just arguing over degrees.

Also, I wouldn't even consider the threshold issue with respect to any animal that would eat me if our sizes and circumstances were different, so chickens, fish, and probably pigs are out of luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I think the real lesson is that cannibals are preferable to vegans.

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
But Hannibal thinks he's better than people, so he eats people. You just showed us that you think you are better than animals, so you eat them. That's the comparison here.

Now, when it comes to deciding whether you are better than a cow, that actually isn't the argument. The argument is whether it deserves to live, which is emphatically a yes. Therefore it doesn't matter if you are better or worse. What matters is that humans are the only creature (well, even that's debatable) that can choose. So we choose to act as less consciously aware beasts because of a superiority complex? The point of Hannibal is to show that there is no difference between the types of meat and it is all flesh ripped off the body of an otherwise living creature.

ufarn posted:

Facetious remark #4

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

the_homemaster posted:

The argument is whether it deserves to live, which is emphatically a yes.

Is it? I don't think anything deserves to live per se. Not meant to be edgy, but rather I'm a firm believer in the circle of life. I am grateful that I'm lucky enough to be on top of the food chain right now, but I have a healthy respect for the fact that I'm distinctly not on top of the food chain when I go hiking in the mountains where the bears are, or go on safari.

I believe our bodies are made to function best with consumption of meat, and I do in fact place the health of my body and my quality of life above that of animals. I have no problem with this, nor do I believe this is somehow a superiority complex.

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
'Circle of life' my arsehole. We are so technologically and philosophically advanced that the circle of life is rendered meaningless. If a zebra escapes a lion, that's just lucky. loving cows, chicken, etc CANNOT escape and are indeed bred purely to be slaughtered and eaten. That is not natural (which is the argument you are using here, that it is somehow natural). A cow or whatever WANTS to live, just like us. By your definition we should just kill disabled people, leave babies on the streets like the Spartans and see who survives.

Now, I can almost guarantee you've not done any nutrition research and so therefore I ask why do you think our bodies work best with meat? Have you tried not eating meat? And I don't mean just eating bread and oreos, I mean eating a variety of food to get all the essential amino acids (which the animal protein only has because, guess what, they eat plants and grains). It is entirely a subconscious superiority complex, as discussed in Hannibal, and the only thing holding anyone back is an adherence to tradition.

the_homemaster fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 31, 2016

Hatrocious
Jan 1, 2013
Clearly, the hidden moral of Hannibal is that vegans are obnoxious, self-righteous and confrontational

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
Facetious remark #5

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Hatrocious posted:

Clearly, the hidden moral of Hannibal is that vegans are obnoxious, self-righteous and confrontational

Freddie Lounds is a vegan/vegetarian on the show and while she's complex and three dimensional, she's also despicable and exploitive. Not a resounding endorsement of not eating animals if you want to go that route.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
I loved the salad that Janice Poon made for Hannibal's table when he had Freddie over for dinner.

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015

HIJK posted:

Freddie Lounds is a vegan/vegetarian on the show and while she's complex and three dimensional, she's also despicable and exploitive. Not a resounding endorsement of not eating animals if you want to go that route.

Ah this is fantastic, I had forgotten since she hasn't been in season 3 yet.

Added bonus: her role is to spread the truth, which is of course what all vegans do. Brilliant, Mr Fuller, absolutely brilliant.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

the_homemaster posted:

Sorry, I meant vegetarians/vegans who do it for real reasons, not dumb gently caress health reasons. Also >implying human flesh is healthy.

You guys must be so blind to your own meat eating habits if the juxtaposition of man flesh and animal flesh whooshes right by your heads. There is literally a scene in season three where an arm is made into a wing, juxtaposed with Chiyoh preparing a fowl.

Quote time

Talking about power over other beings. Veganism is about accepting animals as equals in terms of right to live. Hannibal eats people because he thinks he's better than them

Particular note that last sentence there, and then please apply it to your own meat eating.

Your elegant dinners are more important than the suffering of animals.

I could go on and on.

The stag and hunting motifs. Mason Verger referring to himself as the apex predator. Heck, Will has loving rescue dogs. The whole show is about animal welfare.

Yeah you're certainly on point here. There's also the line about the absurdity of a "kind butcher" or something like that, a pretty explicit reference to the inherent cruelty of all meat-eating.

(I'm not a vegetarian btw)

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 31, 2016

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Veganism derails are bad, but reading those quotes did remind me of how amazing this show was and that I need to watch it again.

So thanks for that, I guess.

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
No problem! It is a brilliant show. I can't think of a single thing I dislike about it.

I didn't really want to derail the thread, but was just pointing out how clearly the vegan message is woven into an otherwise fantastic crime show. I derailed once some people's backs went up at the idea that maybe the show is anti-meat eating.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Honestly uncertain if this is some species of parody or have we gone full tofu can't melt steel beams here.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

the_homemaster posted:

Ah this is fantastic, I had forgotten since she hasn't been in season 3 yet.

Added bonus: her role is to spread the truth, which is of course what all vegans do. Brilliant, Mr Fuller, absolutely brilliant.

A wonab who exploits a girl, who was abused by her father because he wanted to cannabalize her, for cash, is a truth teller now?

Wow, vegans have terrible morality.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

XboxPants posted:

Yeah you're certainly on point here. There's also the line about the absurdity of a "kind butcher" or something like that, a pretty explicit reference to the inherent cruelty of all meat-eating.

Humans being eaten by pigs is heavily played up as this distorted, grotesque thing too, hell most of the Verger plotline touches on humans and animals being juxtaposed.

Honestly I eat tons of meat and find some of the food scenes in this borderline seductive, but arguing that this show doesn't have a stong vegan theme in it that hasn't actually been addressed much in these threads is just inane. Especially because veganism is just outright morally better than eating meat and this is about about a battle between good and evil.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

HIJK posted:

When hunting season rolls around I will think of you as I kill and eat a deer.

drat, busting out only the choicest 1999 Maddox burns in the Hannibal thread today.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

ufarn posted:

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Vitamin P posted:

Humans being eaten by pigs is heavily played up as this distorted, grotesque thing too, hell most of the Verger plotline touches on humans and animals being juxtaposed.

Honestly I eat tons of meat and find some of the food scenes in this borderline seductive, but arguing that this show doesn't have a stong vegan theme in it that hasn't actually been addressed much in these threads is just inane. Especially because veganism is just outright morally better than eating meat and this is about about a battle between good and evil.

Honestly I probably would have eaten the roast of leg Hannibal mad out of Eddie Izzard. It looked delicious, although I wonder if it would have tasted a little funny.

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
Proof that humanity should go extinct.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

This little discussion blipped the show back onto my radar and made me rewatch the last episode.

I don't know what it is, but every season, Chilton's future is the one I always anticipate more than anyone's (except Hannibal).

His last scene (along with the "Quantifiably bitchy" scene from the penultimate episode) really made me wonder how much of an angry bitter jailer he would when Hannibal is inevitably caught again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtphC6OFCdM

Hatrocious
Jan 1, 2013

the_homemaster posted:

Veganism is about accepting animals as equals in terms of right to live.

the_homemaster posted:

humanity should go extinct.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Oh good, we attracted a preachy vegan fruitfly.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

the_homemaster posted:

Proof that humanity should go extinct.

So eating delicious animals is wrong, but every man, woman and child on the planet dying is fine? :rolleyes:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

So eating delicious animals is wrong, but every man, woman and child on the planet dying is fine? :rolleyes:

Oh no, it's not wrong if they're delicious.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

If putting people on the menu is what it takes to make everything else on the menu an ethical choice, so be it. I'll take that soylent green to go, please!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Honestly, it's simpler than that. "Do the least harm you can to other moral actors."

Rules out hurting (and eating) pets, children, the disabled, very smart animals, and people in general. It's consistent, practical, and preserves most intuitive taboos. It even lets you be vegan if you want, for economic reasons like "there's not enough meat to go around and raising meat is less efficient use of land than raising crops."

e: It does, however, mean that you probably have to give Hannibal his books. Sorry, Chilton.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 31, 2016

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I think the vegetarian aspect of Hannibal is interesting insofar that it reminds me of how we only tend to rather serene experience of preparing meat in stark contrast to the process that goes into procuring it.

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015

ufarn posted:

I think the vegetarian aspect of Hannibal is interesting insofar that it reminds me of how we only tend to rather serene experience of preparing meat in stark contrast to the process that goes into procuring it.

My man!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Honestly, it's simpler than that. "Do the least harm you can to other moral actors."

Rules out hurting (and eating) pets, children, the disabled, very smart animals, and people in general. It's consistent, practical, and preserves most intuitive taboos. It even lets you be vegan if you want, for economic reasons like "there's not enough meat to go around and raising meat is less efficient use of land than raising crops."

e: It does, however, mean that you probably have to give Hannibal his books. Sorry, Chilton.

What do you mean 'moral actors'? How does that include pets? Why not eat vegetative humans? You're all over the place.

Also meat is sometimes a very efficient use of land and is far preferable to plants.

Also, poor people need animals for money/food. This of course plays into the class aspects of Hannibal, as everyone is very wealthy and opulent, tied to extravagant consumption of meat.

the_homemaster fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Feb 1, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

the_homemaster posted:

What do you mean 'moral actors'? How does that include pets? Why not eat vegetative humans? You're all over the place.

Hurting a pet hurts their owner, because the owner cares about them. That's what makes them pets and not just animals. The pet isn't a moral actor, but the owner is.

You don't harm vegetative humans for a similar reason, plus you might argue that just generally hurting other humans (even if they individually aren't moral actors due to brain damage or whatever) violates a taboo which broadly protects human interests. Taken to an extreme, you could apply that second argument to harming any life, but then we're arguing over degrees again, just from the opposite direction.

If you say that growing livestock is more efficient use of land in some circumstances than growing plants, I will happily trust you on that.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Feb 1, 2016

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
We interrupt VEGANTALK to bring you Hannibal news!

An auction of Hannibal props! Look at how amazing these costumes and props are!
http://www.propstore.com/hannibal-auction-preview/?_ga=1.223705695.5132898.1458261741

1300 items!

Registration info here:
http://propstore.auctionserver.net/view-auctions/info/id/34/

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 18, 2016

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007
morality is a lie and vegans should be carved up for burgers.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
ALSO

If you've ever wanted to see Mads in his dancing days, somebody uploaded a video today: (he's furthest to the left I think; apparently his wife is the blonde on the right?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX9-GaBkZy8

Quincyh
Dec 24, 2011

He's stolen the fire chief's hat!
I spent ages not watching this show and just finished marathoning its entirety in two weeks and I adore it. At least I waited until it was over so I was spared the crushing disappointment of its cancellation.

...and now I want props.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
When's the auction start?

General Wishy
May 8, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

http://www.propstore.com/hannibal-auction-preview/?_ga=1.223705695.5132898.1458261741

1300 items!

Registration info here:

How many plaid 3-piece suits do you think I can wear at the same time?

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
Also Hannibal was cancelled because of online pirating:

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3383890/hannibal-cancelled-partly-due-online-piracy/

Apologies for the somewhat obnoxious source site, but this had relevant excerpts from the statement.

This is an interesting theory. Considering how aggressively the show and its fans were campaigning for views, I'm not so sure this is a clear-cut case. For example, I specifically set up my cable (which I hadn't set up until this point) and also watched the streaming available the next day to make sure they had ratings. Granted I'm just one person, but I think the message was clear cut about what was needed to save the show. To be frank, it was drat hard to sell the show to friends and family during that third season.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

1300 items!

Registration info here:
Mads and I are the same height. Makes me wonder if I should try for one of his suits.

Who am I kidding, nothing is going to go for less than $1,000.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Wiggy Marie posted:

Also Hannibal was cancelled because of online pirating:

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3383890/hannibal-cancelled-partly-due-online-piracy/

Apologies for the somewhat obnoxious source site, but this had relevant excerpts from the statement.

This is an interesting theory. Considering how aggressively the show and its fans were campaigning for views, I'm not so sure this is a clear-cut case. For example, I specifically set up my cable (which I hadn't set up until this point) and also watched the streaming available the next day to make sure they had ratings. Granted I'm just one person, but I think the message was clear cut about what was needed to save the show. To be frank, it was drat hard to sell the show to friends and family during that third season.

These claims are always ridiculous. I doubt Hannibal was even in the top 10 of pirated shows since I doubt it was in the top 10 most viewed shows period.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/game-of-thrones-tops-2013-list-of-most-pirated-tv-shows/

Seems like all the shows on that list are doing fine or have ended for reasons other than lack of ratings. If it *had* been in the top 5 most pirated shows during 2013 (Season 1) it would likely still be on the air today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Wiggy Marie posted:

To be frank, it was drat hard to sell the show to friends and family during that third season.

This, to me, seems like the actual reason it was cancelled: because it wasn't easy enough to watch the previous seasons. I could tell people how good it was all day long, but if they weren't able to go watch it on one of the services they already paid for, they weren't going to bother seeking the old episodes out, and it is not a show that lends itself to jumping in halfway through.

• Locked thread