Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm one of the fairly unapologetic lovers of this game: the shooting is servicable and the story can and will get cheesy, but the environment and atmosphere are utterly fantastic and definitely but it way above the average military shooter. Looking forward to experiencing this game again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Part of the problem with translating that sentiment to a game is that it's apparently hard to make a game with this statement fun - and it's an effort and risk most companies aren't willing to make.
All the better this game exists.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, what do you call it when there's a Kurtz in Apocalypse Now? Same deal.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Bruceski posted:

Bullets come from the bullet farm.
China Miéville did a really good twist on this in The Kraken. Bullets are gun eggs that hatch in bodies.
Unrelated, but a good book.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I never realized just how much more interesting this game must be to play through when you're American.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Save Gould, I don't remember how that one goes.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Fish Noise posted:

Uhh, yes? Mr. Violence, this is not a game about CEC Engineer Isaac "Babypunt" Clark. I understand how this can be confusing, especially since Delta Force Captain Martin Walker never uses stasis, but that's because he doesn't actually have a stasis module.
This is either heavy caliber irony or a setup for really interesting experience on your part. Walker is there for a reason, that's about all that can be said for now.

Spudd posted:

I can't get all that emotionally invested in this game is all so feeling bad about civilians or mowing down American troops (I'm Australian in the first place :v:) just doesn't do anything for me. Learning more about the plot is for me.
Yeah, I pretty much felt the same way. We're all used to gunning down soldiers of various nations en masse in games, there's no reason why Americans should be different. That being said, this game must be one hell of a treat for the orthodox jingoists out there.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The WP scene was a pain in the rear end for me because all their talk about choices and ways actually leaves it a bit ambigous. It's entirely possible for you to just start shooting the enemies one by one - and then you'll get mobbed and killed by endlessly coming snipers on the surrounding buildings.
Didn't stop me from trying to beat it this way for about an hour, though. WP is terrifying stuff.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Wa11y posted:

The story just really seems disjointed and forced, unless I'm just not paying attention and really missing things.
I think you're asking just the questions you're supposed to ask at this point. As for the 33rd killing civilians, remember, there was a cease-fire before we showed up; it's not unreasonable to assume the 33rd is trying to reassert control.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

biosterous posted:

Every chapter so far, Walker ends of physically lower than before. Symbolism, yo.
This is a good catch as it's present in a lot of this game's associated material. I remember we used this game's trailer (in which Walker is more or less constantly falling, rapelling, dropping) in a class as an illustration for a part of Campbell's monomyth thing - this game is one big descent to the belly of the whale.

pkfan2004 posted:

Team members and their reactions
I wholeheartedly agree; one of my favorite parts about this game's writing is that while all three of our, eh, intrepid heroes are basically action movie stereotypes, this story goes pretty drat deep to explore what makes these stereotypes tick - and what makes them break down. It just takes to the logical conclusion what most other war-related forms of entertainment (and holy poo poo is that a phrase that says something about humanity) are comfortable with handwaving off. As for what it leads to, we'll see.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jun 24, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
"It's fine it tortures to death anyone caught in the affected zone because we aren't actually using it to kill people. Any damage is collateral, honest."

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So it's an atrocity but it's fine to use it as long as it doesn't hit too many unintended targets?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
This whole level is one of the best setpieces in the game; it's amazing what they managed to do to get away from the whole brown desert atmosphere.
edit: Let him burn. Again, choosing what I didn't do.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 4, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Dead Reckoning posted:

Hahaha, please tell me you have a link for this.
Dunno about the apology, bit it managed to break two LPers here before they could finish it. e: Unless there's more than one FG game in which case welp.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jul 5, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
MURDER DEATH KILL
(Still going with the "voting for what I didn't do" strategy)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Aces High posted:

Of course I might be misremembering and he says that if he gets shot too many times, can't recall exactly but I do remember thinking it was a good delivery from North
He gets a lot of sneering at because he's everywhere and people have him in the "generic voice" label (up there with Steve Blum - who is way more recognizable), but North is a pretty drat good VA. Hell, try playing DotA2 and identify everything he voices there - you're bound to miss a bunch, his range is crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
At the risk of losing my gooncred, this game worked for me. Here's why: I know gently caress all about warfare and good storytelling. But I play a lot of shooters, and Walker behaves like a shooter protagonist even in the context of his world - progress at any price, a line he's being pushed along, never turning back and reflecting, approaching every situation as an obstacle that has an inherent solution present somewhere within it (hey, let's not try to use a different route when we have this WP mortar thingy here).
It's not realistic and I don't know enough to be able to judge whether it was meant to be but it's obvious a lot of situations are game situations - think the CIA's autodestructing trucks, all the "hold the line until your squadmates do something" situations, hell, loving turret segments - that are presented in an overly serious, grimdark context that just makes them stand out more. The message I took from that wasn't about the nature of warfare, choice, responsibility, whatnot, but that shooter games are a pretty absurd storytelling medium, simply because at some point your disbelief at mowing down hundreds of mooks just has drop, potentially killing the story.
I got this triumvirate of fairly modern shooters that I feel manage to work story-wise because they embrace that absurdity - this one, Bioshock Infinite and (obviously) Shadow Warrior 2013 - but they do it in different ways and in case of The Line, it's because it stands back and points at what exactly your character is doing, not just in the context of the story, but also in the context of the player sitting behind a computer. Forcing you to commit what you do in this game isn't there to feel bad, it's to make you distance yourself from the game and think about it. Just my two (currency of choice).

Oh, for the inevitable rebuttal, you're probably right.

• Locked thread