Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'll pull up this video as soon as I get home! I'm a fan of this game and will definitely enjoy having a new avenue to talk about it fresh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

pkfan2004 posted:

Not a spoiler: this whole thing is Carver and Norton's fault.

Blame it on Rico Velasquez.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Along with gameplay, one major criticism I see (predominately from the "It's not THAT good, guys" camp of negative people) is that the story is derivative and basically just not actually gonna spoil that fast, guys in video game form. My usual response to that is "So is everything else." It's virtually impossible to find a story that isn't derived from a past work or even unconsciously inspired by it, or a story so simple that it's been retold a million times. What makes a game, movie, or book story good is HOW it tells the story. I like the story in Spec Ops: The Line not because it's brilliantly original, but because the creators did a very good job in telling it.

A good example would be Mad Max: Fury Road. Is the story original? Eh, not really. Hell, it's intentionally simple enough that it can be followed with absolutely no dialogue. But Miller does an exceptional job telling it through good characters and actors and heavy use of non-verbal cues to the point where story developments and characterization continue through over half an hour's worth of car chases. It's an impossibly epic action movie, yes, but it's engaging precisely because it makes you care about the characters and feel engaged and immersed in the world even if the story is such a simple tale that people who don't even speak English can understand it just by the acting and framing.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

On the topic of ammo, Spec Ops has a relatively realistic ammo system. The M4 and AK don't fire even close to the same "bullet type"; the M4 is 5.56x45mm and the AK is 7.62x39mm. Some games (like Far Cry 2 and 3) share ammo types between types of gun even if it's not realistic, but Spec Ops accounts for different ammunition. You don't just pick up AK mags and suddenly have M4 mags.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CJacobs posted:

For the record, by "bullet type" I meant "type of gun", like how walking over a machine gun in most games gives you ammo for whatever machine gun you have, shotguns give you generic shotgun ammo, etc. In Spec Ops they only give you ammo for the type of gun you currently have in your hand, everything else just gives a switch prompt.

Yeah, generally almost every gun in a particular category in Spec Ops uses a different cartridge in real life and they all use different magazines from one another (Walker's M4 and Lugo's TAR-21 are the only two assault rifles/battle rifles to share magazines in the whole game and you never get Lugo's gun from enemies) and so they're all separated in the game.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

....so where do the primers and gunpowder come from?

Probably pulling apart unneeded ammo for their important bits.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Wiggy Marie posted:

The 33rd is a battalion I believe, and numbers range from 300-1500 if I remember correctly.

This is correct, though the usual upper limit is 1200. But at that number, 1200 vs. 1500 is a pretty minor change.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Save Gould. I saved the civvies on my own playthrough.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

If you want the most realistic depiction of white phosphorous in film, check out Fury. They pull it out during urban fighting (can't find a clip online), and they clearly did their research on it. A lot of media (Spec Ops included) just depicts it as being a white cloud that causes everything to burst into flame like it was soaked in gasoline, sometimes even causing Hollywood-style fireball explosions. In reality, the particles emitting the smoke are burning extraordinarily hot; they light flammable items on fire if they land on them, but on human skin they'll basically carve a hole down to the bone with the heat.

If you can stomach it, you can find pictures of the burns they inflict. They more closely resemble extreme chemical burns than fire. It's one of the most inhumane weapons still being used. And Israel has been firing it at civilians in Gaza!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

I know this isn't Let's Play Modern Warfare but I feel like the AC-130 mission in the first MW did exactly that and was a good game for it - it was the right mix of being fun enough to keep the player engaged while having uncomfortable undertones of playing the untouchable executioner.

Unfortunately the sequels were just victims of their own success and repeated the mission over and over as an epic cool killstreak reward.

I played that mission in Call of Duty 4 many times over, and never once did it actually try to engage the player with any form of discomfort. It plays as a fun, very easy shooting gallery where the AC-130 crew even make jokes about "lots of little pieces down there". If you personally felt uncomfortable that's one thing, but the writers seem to have never tried to actually do that.

Then again, I also found that "No Russian" fell flat. The first time you shoot the terrorists in the back and they turn out to be invincible and kill you and the game restarts the level for you, you realize that their attempted message about the player choosing to participate in mass slaughter is as shallow as the rest of the game. It's a 100% linear experience with no player agency, and the game outright punishes you for not doing it "correctly." You're supposed to feel bad about killing civilians, but you're given endless opportunities where a reasonable person could stop the insanity and save the world and the game slaps your hand for doing a naughty if you try.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

You can also see some hypocrisy in Lugo's anger. He hates Walker because he "turned us into killers", but isn't that all they've been doing? The trio are responsible for easily over a hundred deaths by the time they reach the mortar. Obviously dumping white phosphorus on civilians is different from shooting the guys who have been shooting you, but Lugo has been a killer for a long time and has so many lives on his conscience that he's probably lost count. But I think he doesn't view what he's done before as really "killing", maybe to try and justify the world's longest self-defense situation. It wasn't "really" killing, you see? He just defended himself, and bad people happened to die. Right?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

White phosphorus remains in use despite being an awful incendiary/chemical weapon combo because the burning hot smoke provides an excellent screen for infrared sights (like common tank gunner sights). The heat makes it completely opaque to such sights, which is especially useful at night. As long as it gets excused as having non-killing reasons for usage, it's staying until enough people force a change.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Obviously no spoilers, but I will say that what's been brought up about the rewrites provides a different tone to the story that I personally prefer to the original "Gotta get Konrad" concept.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CJacobs posted:

Walker, Lugo, and Adams would not survive probably the first five minutes of the game in real life. Pretty much the entire modus operandi of the game is, "if three people COULD survive all this crazy bullshit, what kind of person would you have to be to do so and what kind of person would it turn you into?"

And that's probably as far as we should explain the implications from this point...

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

There's some legitimate explanation behind the story, but it's not going to be revealed until very late in the game.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The reason "No Russian" falls apart after the first time you play it is because it actually makes perfect sense for the player character to shoot Makarov and his boys in the back. He was ostensibly sent in specifically to stop a terrorist from killing loads of people, but instead willingly joins them on a killing spree. If his goal is to stop the death of innocent people, the first thing he should do is empty his M240 into the trio on the spot. The fact that he doesn't (and in fact goes along with the killing if the player wants him to) goes against the character's stated motivations. It also goes against the writing. The player character is supposed to be a good soldier, a patsy who gets duped into being put at the scene of a mass murder to frame the United States for a terrorist attack against Russia. He's supposed to be a well-meaning but ultimately clueless good guy who gets caught up in an atrocity. When he's never even given the option to stop the chaos when such a chance is put right in front of him, it stops making sense.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 27, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It reminds me a bit of Bulletstorm. The game will always magically give you ammo if you're required to shoot something to progress. During boss fights it'll even give you unlimited Peacemaker reloads so you don't get stuck running around the arena looking for ammo.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

You know what? I feel like being different.

Shoot the water thief.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Walk away.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kill

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I do have to agree on the screaming. You're getting so much louder than the game that it actually hurts my ears or bothers other people when it happens.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

IronSaber posted:

Shoot Evil Tim for being a massive buzzkill.

I kid, I kid.

Retroactively changing my vote to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This is gonna be interesting. I was going through Scruffy's blind LP of it after I tried to beat it myself, only to be stymied by loving invisible enemy hordes.

• Locked thread