Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm curious if this and Noah/Mio are gonna be the end of the line for amiibo as a whole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Naw. They will keep making em.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
I missed Sora it looks like and also missed whatever the last smash one was, think im just going to sell them all now anyway, maybe Id keep the Zelda ones and some random ones to put in my office or whatever.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Sora hasn’t even gone up on Best Buy, Amazon, Walmart, etc.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Nanigans posted:

Sora hasn’t even gone up on Best Buy, Amazon, Walmart, etc.

Please, this is how I get out, don't make me stay in the game

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

Naw. They will keep making em.

Yeah they’ll keep doing one or two for their big releases. Tears of the Kingdom got one at launch and then got two more months later that I’m sure wouldn’t have happened if the launch one didn’t do well, and these last few Smash ones were up to a year or more apart. They’re gonna slow down but not be finished for a while.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Also, just wait for the smash switch 2 electric boogaloo bros super edition that has another 30 new dudes from all over the place and all the amiibos that come with that. It's never going to end.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I’ll be honest, I don’t think Smash 6 will come out before the end of amiibos.

But then again I also don’t expect Smash 6 until at least, like, 2026.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The question is, are Amiibo profitable? If yes, there will be more.

All signs point to yes.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
The Xenoblade 3 amiibo are coming out over a year and half after the game. Nintendo still sees amiibo as worthwhile despite the toys to life fad being dead for nearly half a decade at this point.

We’ll never get a huge line like Smash Bros or Animal Crossing again. But hopefully continue getting new Mario, Zelda, and Metroid amiibos for select new games.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

nintendo is too idiosyncratic to bank on them doing something just because it returns some amount of profit. also that time/effort could be moved to something else they think will make more profit
have there been useful improvement to nfc chips or anything
i like amiibos in theory but if theyre gonna keep doing them for switch 2 they need to implement them in games more/in weirder ways. 80% of the smash ones are good in smash and maybe mario kart to unlock a suit and thats all

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
You collect amiibo because they're little statues of video game characters not because of their really limited in game use

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

You collect amiibo because they're little statues of video game characters and are made by Nintendo as opposed to good smile or sh figuarts or whatever not because of their really limited in game use

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

they should remove all in game functionality

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Ms. Unsmiley posted:

they should remove all from their packages

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

GameStop is taking in store preorders for the Sora amiibo right now.

glassyalabolas fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 9, 2023

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Sora comes out tomorrow. The usual places should have some up for order if you are on top of things.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
I was able to get one with in-store pickup at Best Buy today but it seemed like they didn't have many total. I do have a Target pre-order but it's getting delivered while I'm out of town and I got paranoid. If I end up with an extra it probably will not be hard to re-home.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Similarish story.

My Target order said backordered and because I didn't want to risk it, I placed an order w/ BB last night.

I got a pick up email earlier today but then a few hours ago I got a cancelled email. That's kinda lame. Means someone snagged my order.

Pretty sure the Target one will come though, though. Got a shipping notice but the tracking just says waiting for pickup.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

I tried getting one with in-store pickup from Best Buy this morning, but instead of being able to pick it up, they just cancelled it. The listing is also completely scrubbed from the site/app at this point.

Same for Target, except I didn't try getting one from there since the only place near me with one was over 25 miles away. Ah well. At least I got B-K and Mr. Bogard after missing/not being able to get them from their original print run.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
I haven't looked but I was assuming Sora would be particularly chased since it's a combination of last Smash Amiibo, A Kingdom Hearts Thing, A Disney Thing.

I if my extra does arrive (and it doesn't somehow disappear before we get home from our vacation) I will post here to see if someone wants it for retail + shipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

/