Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp
wayward pines , cheap twin peaks.

It's a show on fox on thursdays that makes no sense.

You get in a car accident and "wake up". The time so far, can between 50 years, to 3 weeks.

The show is campy and has no plot at all, even on episode 3.

The major players in the opening are

Was on a fbi mission, was in car crash, played by matt dillon

Sherrif of the town played by Terrance Howard

Doctor jenkins played by Toby.

jwiilet lweis played by ?

the monsters are coming for you.

Use this thread to discuss or not how wayward pines is are not is bad, because there is no past.

only the future.

edit : http://www.fox.com/wayward-pines

Catch up here, the first episode gets locked this week, after that you have to sign in to watch it.

SpeedGem fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Is this in any way related to the book called "Pines"?

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

Yes. That book is part of a trilogy. Don't know if they'll cover all 3 books since this is just a miniseries I think.

Show is decent. I know the plot from the books, seems like they're almost to the end of the first book.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

"You seem to be the manager here."
"Thank you."

ten_twentyfour posted:

Yes. That book is part of a trilogy. Don't know if they'll cover all 3 books since this is just a miniseries I think.

Show is decent. I know the plot from the books, seems like they're almost to the end of the first book.

According to the AV club, these 10 episodes are only supposed to cover the first book.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jun 5, 2015

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

dik-dik posted:

"You seem to be the manager here."
"Thank you."

According to the AV club, these 10 episodes are only supposed to cover the first book.

Nope. The series is all three books, with the big reveal from the end of book one coming in episode 5.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
This thing kind of lost me about halfway through episode 3. I guess I just don't have the patience for "Okay, I know this show is a confusing, illogical mess right now, but just bear with us until episode X when things totally make sense." any more.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
It's probably a video game, and the next season will focus on the neckbeard playing it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I haven't read the books but my speculation is that the show has been lying to us about when things are taking place. Like how the first couple of episodes had the stuff in town intercut with the wife and son trying to find Matt Dillon as if it was happening at the same time. While actually all that stuff happened well before he woke up in town.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
I'm a sucker for shows like this and Persons Unknown/Prisoner/Twin Peaks etc and so far the show has been pretty watchable for the most part. Its no Twin Peaks but I don't think its trying to be.

muscles like this? posted:

I haven't read the books but my speculation is that the show has been lying to us about when things are taking place. Like how the first couple of episodes had the stuff in town intercut with the wife and son trying to find Matt Dillon as if it was happening at the same time. While actually all that stuff happened well before he woke up in town.

I agree and I think they've given enough hints to show that Wayward Pines takes place in the future and all the non Wayward Pines scenes are in the past. The last two episodes seem to confirm that the wall and the barbaric rules are designed to keep something out and to protect the town's citizens.

I haven't read the books so my guess is that they're either aliens or the town is some fallout vault and the overseers add in people when its time to dilute the gene stock

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Nope. The series is all three books, with the big reveal from the end of book one coming in episode 5.

Yeah, wouldn't be the first time AV club was wrong. I ended up giving in to the suspense and reading summaries of the books online and that makes more sense given how much they've covered already. Also I'm glad because from the summaries I've read I don't think there is 30 hours worth of material in there.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, my mother read the first book and apparently they've covered most of it already.

I'm not sure if the show's terrible or not. Then again, I also think I needed a mess of a show to fill the void that The Following left, so it'll do.

Kegslayer posted:

I'm a sucker for shows like this and Persons Unknown/Prisoner/Twin Peaks etc and so far the show has been pretty watchable for the most part. Its no Twin Peaks but I don't think its trying to be.

I agree and I think they've given enough hints to show that Wayward Pines takes place in the future and all the non Wayward Pines scenes are in the past. The last two episodes seem to confirm that the wall and the barbaric rules are designed to keep something out and to protect the town's citizens.

I haven't read the books so my guess is that they're either aliens or the town is some fallout vault and the overseers add in people when its time to dilute the gene stock

Persons Unknown was pretty good and had my attention from the beginning. This is just kind of a mess. Oh boy, power tripping nurse doesn't like the main character, the sheriff is casually brutal and menacing, every episode does a flash cliffhanger. They better start tying off some of the threads they started, it's episode 4 out of 10 and they've said almost nothing besides town spooky and Orwellian.

:phone: kill you are parents

Wax Lion
Aug 24, 2009

I'll just be the one to say I unabashedly love this show. It's trash, of course, but I was shocked to realize Thursday I was looking forward to a new episode of it almost as much as the season premiere of Hannibal. Some thoughts:

1. The kid is a great example of despicably stupid and whiny television teenagers and looks like a troll doll, face-wise.

2. That shot of Terrence Howard eating ice cream and threatening the wife a couple episodes was kind of interesting for TV.

3. I actually read the first book and can't remember what the explanation for all this is so it must not have been that satisfying. Really dumb beach read, BTW.

electricsugar
Jan 21, 2008

Tum again?
This show is basically Twin Peaks by way of Lost, and how that makes you feel probably has a lot to do with how much you liked Lost.

It's pretty trashy, but I totally love it. The story is a bit silly and contrived, but Matt Dillon was quite well cast in the lead and the plot has walked a good line between being silly and weird and taking itself too seriously.

Excited to see if this series finds an audience. I hope it does.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I've been recording but not watching this. Poked my head in to see if goons are enjoying it and ... I can't tell? :shrug:

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

wormil posted:

I've been recording but not watching this. Poked my head in to see if goons are enjoying it and ... I can't tell? :shrug:

I'm enjoying it, give it a shot!

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Things just took a turn for the mental in the latest episode.

The first episodes were campy as gently caress but this whole "the truth" stuff is pretty good so far.

edit: hopefully it doesn't do some bollocks at the end to imply that it could all be a lie.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The first episode or two were merely OK, but the show has definitely picked up now that it has gone full on wackadoo. It's really good.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
It feels like seventies era dystopia right now. Hmm the big reveal - not sure why I should keep watching? Well whatevs let's see.

Kin posted:

Things just took a turn for the mental in the latest episode.

The first episodes were campy as gently caress but this whole "the truth" stuff is pretty good so far.

edit: hopefully it doesn't do some bollocks at the end to imply that it could all be a lie.

At first I was like, "but that doctor talked to the fbi agent in episode 1, how is that possible?", but they're probably gonna explain it with clones

midnightclimax fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 12, 2015

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That is a lot longer than I was thinking it would be.

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

Isn't this pretty much the plot of that awful Kris Kristofferson flick Millenium?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Grave $avings posted:

Isn't this pretty much the plot of that awful Kris Kristofferson flick Millenium?

Didn't that involve time travel? This is more like Futurama where everyone was just frozen.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
The first two episodes seemed like the show might have some potential to be an actually good show (for summer), but this episode completely sealed it as a typical insane hatewatch nonsense bag of wtf. I'm just pissed it's on at the same time as Under the Dome.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Well, didn't see that coming!

Minghawk
Oct 9, 2012

midnightclimax posted:

At first I was like, "but that doctor talked to the fbi agent in episode 1, how is that possible?"

They've already explained it, though - that was in the past, when he was setting up candidates and such. He got frozen a bit after that, then revived like everyone else.

This is absolute trash but it's quite well-made trash, and is clearly not looking for a life beyond this one run. That in itself is refreshing.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I'm calling it that the doctor created the holocaust and/or the creatures, so he could have his perfect little village.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

Minghawk posted:

This is absolute trash but it's quite well-made trash, and is clearly not looking for a life beyond this one run. That in itself is refreshing.

Those are always the ones that get renewed.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just came in to say how phenomenal the shot of Melissa Leo sidling in in the background while Theresa talked to the new guy in the hospital was.

Other than that this show is pretty good. I think they're trying to set a record for number of times you can open a scene with the wife standing at the kitchen sink though

Toothy
Jan 30, 2006

There's treasure everywhere!
I... I think I like this show better now after the reveal. I was ready to give it up completely, but I'm a sucker for time travel. That said, the teacher really could have been a bit more subtle explaining it to the students. Script sucks balls.

Am I crazy or does Matt Dillon run like retarded Gumby?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
4028! holy poo poo.. this was a loving great TV Sci-Fi episode.

I'm staying out of any spoilers, because that surprised to poo poo out of me. A+

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jun 12, 2015

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005
On episode 3 and the show is great, cheesy fun. Reminds me of LOST. Also Matt Dillon looks like Frankenstein's monster.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

blarzgh posted:

I'm calling it that the doctor created the holocaust and/or the creatures, so he could have his perfect little village.

But the Doctor was setting everything up in 2014, and the coin from 2095 signifies that society continues functioning for decades after the doctor presumably freezes himself. Not saying it's impossible, but they would need a clever explanation.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rocksicles posted:

4028! holy poo poo.. this was a loving great TV Sci-Fi episode.

I'm staying out of any spoilers, because that surprised to poo poo out of me. A+

Yeah I like the show but didn't expect... uh... that

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Norwegian Rudo posted:

But the Doctor was setting everything up in 2014, and the coin from 2095 signifies that society continues functioning for decades after the doctor presumably freezes himself. Not saying it's impossible, but they would need a clever explanation.

Descendant/clone/froze himself and periodically woke up.

The whole thing falls apart if you try picking at it too much. Like, how was their town undisturbed for 3000 years, have they just started "unfreezing" people over the last 2 or 3 years?

It's nonsense, but it's sci-fi nonsense though. I hope they continue with more of this "the truth" in the next episode and we get a thought out explanation for everything before they just run with it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While I didn't expect it to be that long I had already pieced together that it was no longer the "present."

Edit: Considering one character has been there for 12 years already they've obviously been doing this longer than "2 or 3 years."

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Kin posted:

Descendant/clone/froze himself and periodically woke up.

The whole thing falls apart if you try picking at it too much. Like, how was their town undisturbed for 3000 years, have they just started "unfreezing" people over the last 2 or 3 years?

It's nonsense, but it's sci-fi nonsense though. I hope they continue with more of this "the truth" in the next episode and we get a thought out explanation for everything before they just run with it.

I'm just guessing but I don't think this is the first version of Wayward Pines. I think the town has always existed as a social experiment on how to best structure life after the apocalypse which is why there are cameras and mics everywhere.

Given that the kids at that gas station in the present/past all knew about the town, I think the reveal is that the government has been preparing for this for a long time and the town's rules probably got harsher and harsher as the experiment went on. People like the sheriff, nurse and the teacher were probably raised from birth to help the town.

We know that there is another massive facility somewhere else that provides utilities, food and amenities to the town as well as store the cars we saw, house the frozen bodies and the military staff that are in on the program so I wasn't too curious about that. I mean, they flew around in a shiny looking helicopter and they mentioned that the houses were new and only about a decade old so they must have some means of production even 2000 years into the future.

If I had to guess, I think they probably did tell the truth to the adults in previous versions of the town but the adults all fell to depression and suicide. Those that survived went on to help this new version of Wayward Pines where they keep the adults in the dark but start preparing and training the children for life in the new world.

I'm curious where they're going to take the story because it seems like humanity is hosed either way. I'm not sure how the book addresses this but by having humanity rapidly devolve, there's no hope for Wayward Pines since its only a matter of time before the people there start devolving too.

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

muscles like this? posted:

Didn't that involve time travel? This is more like Futurama where everyone was just frozen.

Yeah I posted that before they expanded on it. The whole accidents / choosing people to repopulate the earth in the future seemed to fit.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Good point. If I'm right though, I'll find whatever explanation they give more plausible than, "The doctor totally predicted that hundreds of years from now people would evolve into these specific monsters and destroy society and we couldn't stop them with like guns and medicine and stuff and gene therapy in the year 2095."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Wayward Pines, the Island from the Prisoner, and the Island from LOST are all the same place.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
I really like that this show has chosen to go off the deep end so early, just really embracing that crazy sci fi poo poo. Way better than Under the Dome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
I find it hilarious that the doctor needs to preserve human culture by only saving a bunch of mostly white middle class Americans.

• Locked thread