Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

bring back old gbs posted:

Yeah the Smart Abbies and the Resistance should have been woven together, but now it's revealed Abbies were there first and know the layout/storm drain system so people with an inside knowledge of the town geography aren't important now. Maybe it will be revealed Muppet got swarmed by those 3 abbies but was saved by the Queen and he is helping them. Probably not though seems like they are dead set on wiping out the entire first season cast.

I doubt Ben's coming back, given that he was identified as dead and subsequently buried by his mother outside the wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

God, that scene was so awkward. Come on, you guys really couldn't have sprung for him showing up in just one more episode?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ShakeZula posted:

I doubt Ben's coming back, given that he was identified as dead and subsequently buried by his mother outside the wall.

That happened? Completely missed it, NOBODY IS SAFE!!!!*

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Great episode. I always saw it as a hole in the plot that they just woke up 2000 years later and had nobody keeping an eye on things. Showing the guy waking up every few years and checking on the outside neatly filled that.

I'll miss Megan and her sage hypnotherapist science, and admiration for the little cars in the garages on the town blueprints. :(

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

This last episode was unusually good. Things got accomplished, we learned about the dude periodically waking up and witnessing the end of everything, which was surprisingly profound in this otherwise goofy rear end show. I was behind a couple episodes because I just couldn't bring myself to watch it, but this last episode actually made me interested again.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

Astroman posted:

Great episode. I always saw it as a hole in the plot that they just woke up 2000 years later and had nobody keeping an eye on things. Showing the guy waking up every few years and checking on the outside neatly filled that.

I'll miss Megan and her sage hypnotherapist science, and admiration for the little cars in the garages on the town blueprints. :(

What was the deal with him doing those phone calls? There were some big issues with what was going on in each bit, but if you ignore them like usual, it was a great episode and gives a real personality to someone we've barely seen. So now we have, what, 3 likable adults?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Just gotta put a few bullets in Jason now, thanks.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Just watched the first season of this and i'm not sure if i care enough to watch the second.

It was good for 4 or 5 episodes and fell apart once the mystery got revealed. It's just a crappy sci-fi band of survivors/apocalypse show now and The Walking Dead is already more than enough bad TV in the same vein for me to endure.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

spudsbuckley posted:

Just watched the first season of this and i'm not sure if i care enough to watch the second.

It was good for 4 or 5 episodes and fell apart once the mystery got revealed. It's just a crappy sci-fi band of survivors/apocalypse show now and The Walking Dead is already more than enough bad TV in the same vein for me to endure.

It's actually getting pretty good after starting out lovely. That's all relative, of course, but there's a few plot points that seem thought out this time.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Just binge watched the first season in a couple days with my girlfriend and we both have the same sentiment most people seem to here - started off intriguing and strong, peaked with the mid-season reveal (despite being the epitome of "tell don't show" lazy exposition), then immediately went downhill into laughably bad territory.

Felt like it was trying to be 3 or 4 shows at once that happened to share characters. Spent way too much time on useless plotlines like the resistance group and barely any on the ones that are apparently actually important, like the First Generation bad kids.

I kept getting bothered by how, despite the presence of a heavily armed and trained security team with helicopters and assault rifles, they entrusted the security of the entire town to one dumbass guy. Like, why didn't they send the PMC lookin dudes to gun down the resistance group in the woods as soon as they knew there was a real threat of them blowing up the fence? There was a little hinting that the genius Seldon doctor man was resigned to the town being eventually wiped out anyway so maybe that's why, but that seems like it's giving the writers too much credit.

Despite that I'm still probably going to watch season 2 at some point...seems like they go into more detail about the backstory of the apocalypse and the town, which sounds neat.

Really felt like a story that would come across much better in book form than television. It did make me feel smart cuz I predicted the big twist after first few episodes though, kudos to them for that...

One question I did have that I'm sure as hell not going to re-watch to answer - in the first episode, the glum son kid tells his mom 'everyone has a tell' when they're lying, did that carry through at all? Would be a nice touch if the characters all had a distinct tell when they were lying to someone else (granted most of the lying was obvious enough where that wouldn't even be necessary).

my bony fealty fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jul 13, 2016

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

my bony fealty posted:

One question I did have that I'm sure as hell not going to re-watch to answer - in the first episode, the glum son kid tells his mom 'everyone has a tell' when they're lying, did that carry through at all?

The series' tell is that M Night Shyamalan is involved so obviously no it did not

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

If you guys want to see this sort of story done right (isolated community post-apocalypse), I'd highly recommend the Silo Saga by Hugh Howey. Excellent writing with great reveals that poo poo all over this show. I haven't read the Wayward Pines book though so maybe it's good.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Wow this episode was a trainwreck.

There were also some real dialog gems: "He's not breathing, is he ok?"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I was pretty sure Jason was gonna shoot his barren girlfriend in the head for being barren in the Fuhrerbunker.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The episode felt like they took a bunch of cutting room floor side plots, slapped them in an episode and just had the female abby run around the town to connect them all up. For as tight as the narrative was last week, this was a jumbled mess.

The gun standoff scene was so goddamn confusing. These people were standing in the middle of an empty street. The abby was skulking in the treeline tens of yards away. At what point did things get so confused that people got shot accidentally? That scene was HORRIBLY directed.

Here was another thing that was sloppy editing-wise. The kids are clearly in school when the lockdown happens as we see them there. But then we have a montage of shots in the town (including the merry go round) and there were a ton of kids in those scenes too. Do those kids just not go to school?

Why did the abby go on a town-wide tour when she knew where she needed to go to leave?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Astroman posted:

I was pretty sure Jason was gonna shoot his barren girlfriend in the head for being barren in the Fuhrerbunker.

They can finally have the kind of sex that the board game doesn't mention.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
wait what the gently caress

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Haha, that's a pretty messed-up reveal.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
That some kind of poo poo right there.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Old Boy via Shyamalan

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

bring back old gbs posted:

Old Boy via Shyamalan

I NNNNNOPE'd so hard at that reveal and then starting laughing when that dawned on me.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

I'm not going to lie, I enjoy this series a lot and think it's sad the thread title is so misleading. But man that reveal was so hosed up and I loved it.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The crazy thing was it was just a total dumb accident--Jason picked her out of a hat to be revived, she had no idea her baby had been frozen, Pilcher was dead when she was revived so nobody could tell her. Possibly Megan knew, but she was so hosed up she'd have probably just rolled with it and smiled creepily.

Makes me wonder though if there were any clues beforehand that she wasn't an actual First Generation, and that she had a life before. Of course if she was revived, Jason would have known that. How exactly did he pass her off as First Generation to the rest of his cadre anyway if she popped up post Pilcher?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Astroman posted:

The crazy thing was it was just a total dumb accident--Jason picked her out of a hat to be revived, she had no idea her baby had been frozen, Pilcher was dead when she was revived so nobody could tell her. Possibly Megan knew, but she was so hosed up she'd have probably just rolled with it and smiled creepily.

Makes me wonder though if there were any clues beforehand that she wasn't an actual First Generation, and that she had a life before. Of course if she was revived, Jason would have known that. How exactly did he pass her off as First Generation to the rest of his cadre anyway if she popped up post Pilcher?

She was openly not First Generation. She brings it up to Jason at dinner one episode when they're talking about Ben. Jason says "He wasn't really First Generation," and she replies, "Neither am I, are you going to put me outside the wall?"

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Astroman posted:

That's Jason's name for his mother's vagina.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Haha finally watched the last episode and that was great. This season is a lot better than I ever thought it would be.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Next week is the finale you guys. I feel kind of weird for wanting a third season now.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

They did a pretty good job of turning it into a whole new show this season. Maybe next year they can expand further and we can see more of the world like The 100 is doing, perhaps find more groups of intelligent survivors. Surely there must be other assholes in bunkers somewhere.:allears:

Or alternately, everyone goes back to sleep, they wake up in 1000 years and the world is even more different.

Either way, they'll have to continue the tradition and slowly kill off most of this season's cast over the first few episodes.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Astroman posted:

Or alternately, everyone goes back to sleep, they wake up in 1000 years and the world is even more different.
Supposedly the book ended with them going to sleep again, and waking up 70,000 years later.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I'd be into this show slowly morping into Marooned in Realtime.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

They'll wake up and an abbie lawyer will be waiting to sue them for the crap that happened to their ancestors.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't understand why they didn't try and use the cryo chambers earlier when they looked like they were going to starve. That seems like a good way to cut down on how much food you need.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I watched the first 2 episodes of season 2 and wasn't impressed. Should I give it another chance?

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

SalTheBard posted:

I watched the first 2 episodes of season 2 and wasn't impressed. Should I give it another chance?

Depends. What are your views on incest?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You can skip to episode 7, which has an interesting premise, and get pretty much the same out of it. The only thing you have to know about the episodes inbetween is that any season 1 character you don't see any more has died.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Overall for a show that I truly thought was not renewed for a second season until like a week before it aired, it was pretty drat good. It had it's goofy moments, but it's better than say Under the Dome or even Falling Skies. If that's any indicator for you. And I watched both those from beginning to end.

I'd say it's comparable to The Strain. Not everyone's cup of tea, really stupid at times, but overall fun to watch if you kick back and enjoy the ride. :cool:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
aw poo poo this is getting good, they got an age of empires city going. That shot of 200+ abbys was just all the town mayors? And then they each go rouse up 1000+ guys?

town's dead.

EDIT: AAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA doctor you are the best.

Are you alright?
"No."

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 28, 2016

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

As far as silly sci-fi goes, this show is pretty fun. I hope they get a third season to finish it.

Xander stepping out of the car going "I got this" and shooting a molotov cocktail resulting in the holder burning to death, was a great scene.

Atreiden fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 28, 2016

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Also the Doctor's plan was metal as gently caress, and then whats her face stole it and will probably screw it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I'd kind of like a third season too, honestly. S2 had a rough start and some seriously dumb bits but I liked where it ended overall and there's potentially-interesting territory to explore when people wake up again in another 10K years. In a way a third season might be in sort-of-prequel territory, in that we never got much about originally building the town / getting infrastructure in place / exploring the world. That's way more interesting than the 'life under hitler youth' bent of this season.

Main sciency question is about lack of gene pool diversity but whatever. Maybe there are a bunch of backup embryos that got frozen that Pelcher never told anyone about because the writers hadn't thought of it yet.

A lot of this is just because I really like post-post apocalypse as a setting and there aren't that many examples of it around.

• Locked thread