Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

dik-dik posted:

I think you guys are making a big mistake in assuming that episodes are written with any planning for how the following episodes will work out or any respect for what happened in the previous episodes. Remember that M Night Shyamalan is involved here, people.

AFAIK Shyamalan only directed the forst episode, and is an executive producer of the series as a whole (aka not creatively involved). Also it seems to follow the pre-existing novel quite closely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
My brother refuses to watch past the first episode because M Night Shaym-alien has his name all over it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

meanolmrcloud posted:

Also, if it is really the last of the humanity, keeping the truth from the adults is a really dumb plot device. A few might despair at humanity dying , but you'd think that they would realize they have a chance to raise a new generation and do things right?

Show is dumb.

Do not tell your parents. Jimmy told his parents and everybody died. Send a copy of this letter to ten other people within 2 weeks and good fortune will find you.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Well I finally watched the first episode and thought, this is dumb. Before deleting it I came here, read some spoilers, went back and watched all the episodes so I'm current. So this is basically Riverworld meets The Prisoner with a dash of Lost and The Matrix for good measure; but mostly a scaled down Riverworld. It's completely bonkers and makes no sense but I'm obviously hooked.

Some things I don't like:
Hypno-teacher - Hope Davis - her character is weird and seems all wrong. I feel like she's a pedophile or something.

Mrs Burke - Shannyn Sossamon - her scenes with the kid are cringe worthy, I had to fast forward through them. And yeah, the kid is a bad actor but that's true for 99% of children and teens.

The science is ridiculous. Not that I expect primetime tv to give a quark about science but it wouldn't have hurt to run things by a scientist, or even someone reasonably well educated. Why are there no crickets? That was a big deal in Ep2.

Everyone is too subdued. If you woke up and suddenly lived in a different town where everyone acts creepy and won't let you see or contact your family, I'm pretty sure most of use would get a reckoning on the first day. And if everyone was chosen, why choose so many dimwits?

Things I like:
Nurse Sociopath - Melissa Leo - I hate the character, love the actress, she's nailing it. There is some good acting in minor roles too.

Subtle indications that more time has passed than it seems. I'm talking about Burke's wounds apparently healed within hours. But I'm guessing he was actually out of commission for days. He goes to sleep in a bloody shirt and wakes up with a clean shirt. Burke never questions these things.

Someone asked why those things don't climb the fence, cause it's got a bajillion volts running through it. Just ask the former realtor. The cliff is a good point though, if Burke can go up, they can come down.

Why is Burke's family there? So they can control Burke. Why is Burke there? Well because I assume they can't or don't want to stay inside the walls forever and they need a manly man.

When I first saw Jenkins/Philcher, I thought he was the doctor from Total Recall.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

wormil posted:

The science is ridiculous. Not that I expect primetime tv to give a quark about science but it wouldn't have hurt to run things by a scientist, or even someone reasonably well educated. Why are there no crickets? That was a big deal in Ep2.

The waitress was trying to warn Burke about the surveillance equipment. The note says there are no crickets, but when Burke goes outside, you can clearly hear clicks and chirps.

wormil posted:

Everyone is too subdued. If you woke up and suddenly lived in a different town where everyone acts creepy and won't let you see or contact your family, I'm pretty sure most of use would get a reckoning on the first day. And if everyone was chosen, why choose so many dimwits?

The show has indicated that many people have freaked out and/or tried to escape. Pilcher told Burke "you're the first one to make it this far." The people left are the ones that learned to cope/survive. I would guess that they give new people a tiny bit of leeway the first day or so, and in that time, the people in the town cryptically warn them to watch out/follow the rules, like they did with Burke.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Apparently the show leaked yesterday and so spoilers are out.

Episode 6 is suppose to answer a lot of the questions like:

LEAKED EPISODE 6 SPOILERS

- why they keep everyone under surveillance The current Wayward Pines is group B, group A were told the truth and people either tried to escape and got eaten or killed themselves so the cameras and the fence are for their own protection

- where they get all their stuff from There are two massive facilities in the mountains surrounding the town, one for food and one for everything else that are run by volunteers/cultists. Pilcher was some kind of billionaire and just started funnelling everything he had into Wayward Pines

-how the people were chosen All the people there are either cultists or were incredibly gifted or talented but had somehow hosed up in their previous lives. They were then kidnapped to give them a second chance at life.

- why they unfroze Ethan To guide the town to a nicer place away from the public executions

I think that pretty much answers most of the questions I had and I'm guessing that the second half of the series is going to deal with how Ethan is as the new sheriff. It's a pretty gutsy show that switches genre half way through but if they can pull it off, it'd make for some pretty decent TV.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

violetdragon posted:

The waitress was trying to warn Burke about the surveillance equipment. The note says there are no crickets, but when Burke goes outside, you can clearly hear clicks and chirps.

The no crickets thing was to let him know how fake the town was. As in, he went outside and heard crickets but upon looking it was just a box making those noises.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
I can't stop laughing any time the kid has lines, his voice is such a marblemouthed disaster

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Yeah, but why are there no crickets? Crickets are extremely common and have been for millions of years. They live almost everywhere, even on islands thousands of miles from the mainland. It's an odd thing to call out if there is no meaning to it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Well if 2000 years is enough time for man to evolve into weird caveman super hunters, then maybe crickets evolved into the cars they drive around.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I enjoyed this episode, seems to get better every week. The reveals are coming pretty quickly now.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

wormil posted:

Yeah, but why are there no crickets? Crickets are extremely common and have been for millions of years. They live almost everywhere, even on islands thousands of miles from the mainland. It's an odd thing to call out if there is no meaning to it.

The dumb murder monkeys are the ultimate predators - of course they ate all the crickets.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

steinrokkan posted:

The dumb murder monkeys are the ultimate predators - of course they ate all the crickets.

And all the humans, but not the deer.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

I just realized that 4028=2014x2 :vince:

Also Ethan Burke is being kind of a turd.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 20, 2015

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
I love that we just got an hour of Toby Jones spouting pulp philosophy on Network TV. This show is pulling off what Dome, Helix and all the other out there sci-fi shows have tried and failed too.

I have to think that a major reason why this show works is the cast. So many of those other B-Grade shows get B-Grade actors that devolve the already dodgy material into an aberrant mess whereas the ridiculously good cast manage to make half their lines work here, elevating the whole endeavour. Even Dillon, who I've not been a big fan of in the past brings something more compelling to the blank protagonist role than a hunky Aussie with a bad accent would have. I could honestly watch him lumbering round and trying to use his monster hands for hours.

That said, as much as the last two episodes worked for me I don't know how the show can't peter out from here. Wayward Homeland doesn't seem anywhere near as compelling as campy sci-fi.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
For some reason I can't help but think the show is really dumb, but Dr. Pilcher is charismatic enough that I don't car. Good job, I guess?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
While I think the books are merely OK, they do a good job of basically getting into the heads of the people in town. They essentially live in fear and so just go about their lives. Some of them adjust fine, others don't. Some people think they're actually dead and are just living out a purgatory.

The books are also a lot more violent. Beverly's death is a lot harsher, and the town sort of gets into this orgasmic frenzy when there's a reckoning. Literally, in some cases the townsfolk are half naked and it does a great job of having this disconnect between their usual buttoned-down selves and their bloodlust. Also I think it handles the Theresa stuff a lot better in the books. The first time you meet her it's a year after Ethan has gone missing and they're 'burying' him. Then Pilcher shows up and makes her an offer. By the time Ethan catches up with everything they've already been living in the town for a few years.

As an adaptation it's sort of interesting to look at what changes were made. The show is pretty much in book 2 territory now, which is when Ethan is the Sheriff. But he finds out the whole secret of the town (And finds the bunker with the cars in it) right at the end of book 1. At least it gives Theresa some agency though, in the books she's just this sort of repressed housewife.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

el oso posted:

The show took a turn for the totally insane but I'm enjoying it a lot, don't even care about the massive plot holes (or perceived plot holes that might be addressed later). It's fun to see a TV series go in a totally different direction than you expect - it's far more like The Prisoner, not much Twin Peaks (which I was expecting) or Lost.

In terms of the defenses, I would say that if Matt Dillon can climb up a big cliff to get out of WP, the mutants could pretty easily scale down it to eat everybody in WP up.

Much like a species of alien, say, might be fatally allergic to water, the mutants are clearly terrified of heights.

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

We just went back and watched the end of Ep. 1, where Pilcher meets with Ethan's boss, and noticed that Pilcher has short hair in that scene instead of the long hair he has when he gets unfrozen. Continuity error, or does he have time travel abilities?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Silent Linguist posted:

We just went back and watched the end of Ep. 1, where Pilcher meets with Ethan's boss, and noticed that Pilcher has short hair in that scene instead of the long hair he has when he gets unfrozen. Continuity error, or does he have time travel abilities?

Definitely a continuity error. Honestly (even though this was originally a book, I know), it feels like they wrote and shot each episode before even thinking up the plot points for the next one.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Not to defend the mess but... Pilcher may have been the last one frozen so his hair could have had a haircut in the stead of years between freezing and activating his plan.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

Not to defend the mess but... Pilcher may have been the last one frozen so his hair could have had a haircut in the stead of years between freezing and activating his plan.

So wait. He lost his hair, he got frozen, and his hair grew back in time for him to unfreeze?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

dik-dik posted:

So wait. He lost his hair, he got frozen, and his hair grew back in time for him to unfreeze?

Ohhhhhh.......well its been 2000 years so.....yes. Thats why the former people are weird caveman animals and deer haven't changed.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

dik-dik posted:

Or he didn't freeze himself right after we last saw him in the "present" and maybe several months went by?

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
I thought they waited for society to be on the verge of collapse before the cultists all went in.

That or it's a toupee.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

Or he didn't freeze himself right after we last saw him in the "present" and maybe several months went by?

I still don't see how this accounts for him having hair when he was unfrozen.

The problem, stated simply, is that, in episode 1, there is a scene of him, bald, in what appears to be the year 2014. Then, a few episodes later, there is a scene that takes place 2000 years later, where he is unfrozen, and appears much younger than he did in 2014 (e.g. with hair).

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 27, 2015

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

^^This. You're probably right, they probably hadn't planned out his "young" hairstyle yet when they filmed ep. 1.

Also, if they have all these workers who volunteered to be frozen and run Wayward Pines, why not just use THEM to repopulate the world instead of kidnapping unwilling people??

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Astroman posted:

Which of course begs the question, knowing what we now know about the timing--if Pilcher thought Ethan was so special (based on his files or whatever Pilcher knew about him before he was "selected" to got to Wayward Pines in 2015), why wait til now to wake him up? He could have woken up Ethan 20 years before, when the town was being set up to be the Sheriff then.

Also, this may not have been the first time Ethan was woken up.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

dik-dik posted:

I still don't see how this accounts for him having hair when he was unfrozen.

The problem, stated simply, is that, in episode 1, there is a scene of him, bald, in what appears to be the year 2014. Then, a few episodes later, there is a scene that takes place 2000 years later, where he is unfrozen, and appears much younger than he did in 2014 (e.g. with hair).

He spent all his money on cryonics (and rogaine).

TunaSled
Jun 4, 2003

:siren:Something Awful:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=g32i2eE2DC8#t=10

something something about showrunners being goons etc

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

TunaSled posted:

Oh this show is something awful, alright. :v:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

TunaSled posted:

The truth is worse than you can even imagine... it's full of slaw. Slaw and dogs.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If this doesn't get a second season in a world where we're on Season 3 of Under the Dome then what the gently caress.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

precision posted:

If this doesn't get a second season in a world where we're on Season 3 of Under the Dome then what the gently caress.

I think I have bad news for ya, it's based on a novel and has a pretty clear schedule to complete the story.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

precision posted:

It's been advertised as a 10 episode "event" series, which usually means just the one season.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm pretty sure Awake was billed as an "event" but they also wanted to make a second season, but if they wrap the story up completely at the end of episode 10 then that's fine by me.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

precision posted:

I'm pretty sure Awake was billed as an "event" but they also wanted to make a second season, but if they wrap the story up completely at the end of episode 10 then that's fine by me.

Awake. T_T

I don't remember it being billed as an event series, but it was like 3 years ago.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The showrunner said they can very easily be a second season and Fox has said it's a possibility. The only issue is that all the cast is only signed on for one season and the option lapsed for season 2.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The two guys who are writing most of the show have already signed a deal to do a series for Netflix, so they wouldn't be available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Doesnt matter:

http://www.avclub.com/article/another-surprising-twist-wayward-pines-may-get-sea-221527

• Locked thread