Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

steinrokkan posted:

I think I have bad news for ya, it's based on a novel and has a pretty clear schedule to complete the story.

So was under the dome, but it ran off track ages ago. I can't remember if that was supposed to be a one off thing or not, but that spring show with Ryan Phillippe (secrets and lies I think?) was definitely advertised as an Event but now is having a second season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.
What's the reasoning for the nurse acting creepy when she's actually normal? This show is loving garbage.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Mustached5thGrader posted:

What's the reasoning for the nurse acting creepy when she's actually normal? This show is loving garbage.

You act normal when you're actually creepy

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Mustached5thGrader posted:

She's a sociopath, normal is a mask.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Mush mouth the kid.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While I've been enjoying the show, last night's ending was kind of goofy with the magic teleporting explosion where they both somehow just appeared outside of the truck.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Yeah, the kids thing was silly and should have been cut.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

wormil posted:

Yeah, the kids thing was silly and should have been cut.

Also the walls look as reenforced as a hydro dam, they're massive. That little fart of a bomb wouldn't even scorch the concrete.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Also the walls look as reenforced as a hydro dam, they're massive. That little fart of a bomb wouldn't even scorch the concrete.

I think the truck bomb was a decoy.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
who else gets this is halloween in their head as soon as the opening theme starts up every week

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Frostwerks posted:

Mush mouth the kid.

I'd like to see the casting agent who thought "Yes, this playdoh homunculus is just what we need!"

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
It was all worth it to see him get blown up.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Dear god this is a terrible show. Why am I still watching it?

TunaSled
Jun 4, 2003

dik-dik posted:

Dear god this is a terrible show. Why am I still watching it?

For the purgatory reveal in the finale

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
M Night STRIKES AGAIN

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
No wonder M. Night got attached to this project. People in the present finding out they're really in the future reminded me immediately of people in the past finding out they're really in the present.

But to be fair, I really enjoyed the sinister, creepy mystery of the first few episodes before the big reveal, and now I can't look away.

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
This was my least favourite episode by far. You can't continuously build up in outlandishness and then expect us to care about something so rudimentary as rebels. They better go big in the final few episodes. Wonder when we'll get the reveal that Dillon is playing Frankenstein's Monster?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

But to be fair, I really enjoyed the sinister, creepy mystery of the first few episodes before the big reveal, and now I can't look away.

Yeah, this is basically what happened to me too. It seemed like a genuinely interesting mystery at first and then when they blew the lid off it it seems they had nothing left.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

steinrokkan posted:

I'd like to see the casting agent who thought "Yes, this playdoh homunculus is just what we need!"
the same one who thought a severely butt-chinned teen with the face of a retired model would be a good love interest for said gumby-looking bowlcut turd

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

dik-dik posted:

Yeah, this is basically what happened to me too. It seemed like a genuinely interesting mystery at first and then when they blew the lid off it it seems they had nothing left.

Right, the first episode, that was actually directed by MNS, was intriguing, but each reveal makes it less interesting because the world becomes more rational. Like in the latest episode - it's not particularly interesting to observe the conflict between Burke and the rebels when we know the objective truth, and therefore are left with no ambiguity vis a vis the clashing factions.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

God, remember Ep 1 when it looked like Ethan's wife and kid were going to be peripheral characters that wouldn't continue ruining this show for more than a couple more episodes? Goddammit.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

steinrokkan posted:

Right, the first episode, that was actually directed by MNS, was intriguing, but each reveal makes it less interesting because the world becomes more rational. Like in the latest episode - it's not particularly interesting to observe the conflict between Burke and the rebels when we know the objective truth, and therefore are left with no ambiguity vis a vis the clashing factions.

But but but he has a history of hallucinations! :pseudo:

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

TheRationalRedditor posted:

the same one who thought a severely butt-chinned teen with the face of a retired model would be a good love interest for said gumby-looking bowlcut turd

It's probably goonsay as hell she looks kinda weird to me too.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Frostwerks posted:

)

She looks fine, imho, but it's bad she didn't die. :goonsay:

Echophonic posted:

But but but he has a history of hallucinations! :pseudo:

They used Burke's history of halucinations to a good effect in like the first two episodes, then they forgot about it and just decided to show us the truth, nullating the defining characteristic of the protagonist.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

They used Burke's history of halucinations to a good effect in like the first two episodes, then they forgot about it and just decided to show us the truth, nullating the defining characteristic of the protagonist.

This, except, for every single thing in this show.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Frostwerks posted:

they're definitively the weirdest looking things in a show starring Toby Jones & CG alopecia vampires.

vrath
Jul 6, 2015

Buy 1 get 1 bottle of Lysol FREE!

dik-dik posted:

God, remember Ep 1 when it looked like Ethan's wife and kid were going to be peripheral characters that wouldn't continue ruining this show for more than a couple more episodes? Goddammit.

And then they couldn't even do a good job of killing his kid! Or even better, having his wife get in with the rebels, and then forcing him to kill her and his son to save the town. I'm with the camp that loved the mystery of the show, but after the big reveal...it's just a waiting game of tv drama till the end....That is unless there's a second twist, and they're actually in the PRESENT! Orrrr that humans actually survived all that time and the Brotherhood of steel is gonna roll up on them....that would also be dope.

Subcomputer
Nov 2, 2004
Some minor sperging on the location/art direction:

Subterfrugal posted:

Oh, the climate changed. Boise went from high desert at the base of the foothills

to a coastal pacific rainforest valley

so maybe Oregon fell into the sea?
Both these pics are facing North, in the first pic the Boise River is behind the line of conifers on the left. Burke should have been looking South towards the back of the capitol building unless he got really, really lost. And yeah, 2000 years of climate change, but the region got its name because of a French explorer/fur trapper going nuts seeing the cottonwood forests along the river after miles upon miles of sagebrush steppe/desert. Maybe if the temperature dropped just enough for the Great Basin to fill up again, it might change Boise into a regular forest and Lowman into rainforest why not.

Going from "around Lowman" straight to Boise along his planned route is also pretty lol, there's a lot of tight granite canyons and fairly steep slopes through that area.

Location-wise the area really wouldn't be that bad, one of the main reasons the state is largely undeveloped or wilderness is that the center is made up of giant granite deposits that nobody's had the money/will to do anything with besides narrow access roads. If whoever is truly behind the effort had the money, they could have entire underground cities.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

vrath posted:

That is unless there's a second twist, and they're actually in the PRESENT! Orrrr that humans actually survived all that time and the Brotherhood of steel is gonna roll up on them....that would also be dope.

That's the next logical progression, to take the show up to the next level. Kinda like they keep doing on The 100, revealing parts of a larger world with higher stakes. So next we find out there's bunkers of Chinese or Brits or Planet of the Apes style radioactive telepathic mutants with no skin.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Astroman posted:

That's the next logical progression, to take the show up to the next level. Kinda like they keep doing on The 100, revealing parts of a larger world with higher stakes. So next we find out there's bunkers of Chinese or Brits or Planet of the Apes style radioactive telepathic mutants with no skin.

What I'm really hoping for is an "I Am Legend" style twist where it turns out the mutants are "civilized" and are only attacking Wayward Pines because the generators are poisoning their water supply.

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

DarklyDreaming posted:

What I'm really hoping for is an "I Am Legend" style twist where it turns out the mutants are "civilized" and are only attacking Wayward Pines because the generators are poisoning their water supply.

There's another fence, around which is a thriving futuristic mutant civilization. Wayward is inside of their prison.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Did this just air in the last couple hours? Because i watched it before i went to bed like 12 hours ago.

Great ending... loving the Human 2.0's

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
I worked out of the Lowman ranger station for a summer, as soon as I saw loving washington forest and like the wife and their little kid in the first episode stop the car right in a western rainforest it totally killed it. That and Boise being like "get out of trees, here's boise" when it's at least 25 miles of high desert with zero trees before you even get close. At least they got the hosed up part right, Lowman and Idaho City are in barely populated mormon meth wasteland

vrath
Jul 6, 2015

Buy 1 get 1 bottle of Lysol FREE!

Rocksicles posted:

Did this just air in the last couple hours? Because i watched it before i went to bed like 12 hours ago.

Great ending... loving the Human 2.0's

The ending should have been the ending of the episode before, this episode was a waste of airtime.

I already know David Pilcher is willing to do anything.

I already know the sherrif is kind of a tool, and not nearly rick grimes enough to do what he needs to.

That would be awesome. This show needs more Rick.

Honestly the only thing this episode showed was that The nurse goblin lady is real stupid and not as hardcore as she was the episode before.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Please be mute, please be mute, please be mute, please be mute.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
gently caress.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

vrath posted:

The ending should have been the ending of the episode before, this episode was a waste of airtime.

I already know David Pilcher is willing to do anything.

I already know the sherrif is kind of a tool, and not nearly rick grimes enough to do what he needs to.

That would be awesome. This show needs more Rick.

Honestly the only thing this episode showed was that The nurse goblin lady is real stupid and not as hardcore as she was the episode before.

How's that parachute account working for you Mr. Opinion

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Frostwerks posted:

gently caress.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Sister nurse is all over the place characterwise. One episode she's an alpha sociopath the next she's compassionate and subordinate. Initially I thought she was inconsistent because she was pretending but maybe she's bipolar or something. Or maybe she's none of those things...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm actually enjoying this loving stupid show in spite of itself.

wormil posted:

Sister nurse is all over the place characterwise. One episode she's an alpha sociopath the next she's compassionate and subordinate. Initially I thought she was inconsistent because she was pretending but maybe she's bipolar or something. Or maybe she's none of those things...

Maybe she has a twin.

• Locked thread