Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

kierrie posted:

Fantastically stereotyped.

It's hard to choose my favorite character between the sassy transgendered girl, the actor's flamboyant boyfriend, the autistic scientist, and the ice queen businesswoman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hernando isn't flamboyant, I really enjoyed seeing a gay couple that wasn't flaming. Flamboyant/center of attention people piss me off, be they gay or straight.

Hernando was a great character, and the actor sold his scenes like a motherfucker.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Rocksicles posted:

Hernando isn't flamboyant

:thejoke:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjfkynJ4hbI

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

1.) Guy complains about the characters being poorly-written stereotypes.
2.) I decide to rattle off actual stereotypes that have fleeting -- if any -- resemblance to the actual characters within the show.
3.) I quickly lose confidence in my execution and explain the joke.
4.) I run crying back to Internet Comedy School and am told to consider switching to Botany School, as medical marijuana is a growth industry.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
You should.... maybe we can be on the same level. I'm high as poo poo.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

DivisionPost posted:

It's hard to choose my favorite character between the sassy transgendered girl, the actor's flamboyant boyfriend, the autistic scientist, and the ice queen businesswoman

The only correct choice :colbert:

Flamboyant Boyfriend is a good number 2 though.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Van Damme was pretty much the best. Talk about upbeat.

Posthumor
Jan 13, 2015

~amine~
Between this and Jupiter Ascending it's as if the Wachowskis have been replaced by the horniest teenagers.

Knew I was in for something special when fifteen minutes in there was a lesbian sex scene involving a rainbow strap on that ended in them saying "happy pride day" as they came.

Subtle as a piano to the head.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
There is no way this was directed by the same people. Not a chance. Jupiter Ascending is rear end wrapped in rear end cheese.

Posthumor
Jan 13, 2015

~amine~
Jupiter Ascending was a ludicrous romance fantasy for teen girls who watch too much lovely genre programming. Sense8 is that but for sexual and diversity politics.

I love it so far, the scripting and scenarios are hilariously on the nose didactic about every Tumblr-level social justice topic. Which is great! It’s good stuff to put on screen. But I can’t help but laugh when so much of the dialogue is just setup for a lesson on transmisogyny or gang violence or drugs.

Crash74
May 11, 2009
Well i just slogged through this series :munch: (and my god was it a slog), the 30 min or so of action with the asian chick and the black guy were p cool. The rest had me eather skiping through or just :rolleyes:. Was this designed to be :shlick: bate or something? Because it seemed really days of our lives soap. The action trailer for this was really misleading.
The only one I gave a poo poo about in twelve hours was the black guy, the rest could all eat a bullet and I wouldnt care. What was up with the villian, he was just some dude? was that it? Kind of lame. This whole show was knd of like watching one of the bad episodes of the x files.

Fake e: A+++ / 11/10, 5stars /golf clap for all the: :huh: :a2m: :roboluv: :horse: :gizz: hunnnng :gizz: gay pride :gizz: :sax:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Crash74 posted:

Well i just slogged through this series :munch: (and my god was it a slog), the 30 min or so of action with the asian chick and the black guy were p cool. The rest had me eather skiping through or just :rolleyes:. Was this designed to be :shlick: bate or something? Because it seemed really days of our lives soap. The action trailer for this was really misleading.
The only one I gave a poo poo about in twelve hours was the black guy, the rest could all eat a bullet and I wouldnt care. What was up with the villian, he was just some dude? was that it? Kind of lame. This whole show was knd of like watching one of the bad episodes of the x files.

Fake e: A+++ / 11/10, 5stars /golf clap for all the: :huh: :a2m: :roboluv: :horse: :gizz: hunnnng :gizz: gay pride :gizz: :sax:

k

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wow... even more emotes than the previous edit. Let's be honest, your dick moved a little during the orgy scene.

Crash74
May 11, 2009

That p much sums it up thx.

Which one? There were like 5

Crash74 fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jun 7, 2015

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

Posthumor posted:

I love it so far, the scripting and scenarios are hilariously on the nose didactic about every Tumblr-level social justice topic. Which is great! It’s good stuff to put on screen. But I can’t help but laugh when so much of the dialogue is just setup for a lesson on transmisogyny or gang violence or drugs.

The sad thing is is that some people still need it to be that blunt on certain issues.

I've only watched the first episode (thanks to me clicking this weird thread title and finding out about it today), but I have to say I'm on board. It's got enough intriguing hooks for me to finish it up, and like has been said before the characters are pretty likable all in all.

EDIT: Also shout out to the literal drug brownie fairies. Those dudes look like they'd be a blast to hang out with.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
I watched 2 episodes and thought it was kinda poo poo.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Junkfist posted:

I watched 2 episodes and thought it was kinda poo poo.

Yeah the first two episodes are pretty terrible. I'd say that if you're still not digging it by episode 4 then it's safe to bail.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Like I watched the first two without knowing anything about this and was going "ok so it's an interesting premise but man whoever's making this can't capitalize on it at all and sure do lean heavily on cheap on-the-nose characters and themes hmm what's going on here is that Joe Pantoliano?" and so I came to this thread and saw "Wachowskis" in OP and oh ok that mystery's solved.

So genuine thanks to the thread you actually helped me figure something out.

Junkfist fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jun 7, 2015

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I made it through the first three episodes today before leaving for work, and I'm digging what it feels like it's building to so far. Capheus' stuff is my favorite thread, because Van Damme.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

E10: holy poo poo rocket launcher

did Lito just order six tequilas and pay for it with a kiss?

bullet cigarette????

ok really though wtf who takes photos of their friends loving

okay that 8-way birth montage was pretty cool but goddammit Riley why are you still in Iceland? :ohdear:

E11: "no touching!"

okay "_____ is easy; it's what i do" wasn't great the 1st time. i am not looking forward to the 8th time.

E12: omg that Wilhelm scream

is Riley gonna be the next octomom?

I was really hoping Will was gonna turn the tables on Whispers and like make him crash the helicopter or something but I guess we'll have to wait for that

In sum: ended up being a pretty cool show. Definitely could've used a bit of trimming, but overall I'd say it's definitely a worthwhile 12 hours of TV. Definitely more of a character-driven piece than the action piece it seemed to be advertised as, and could probably have benefited from a little less "this is exactly what we're trying to say in plain words" but whatever, it was fun and I'm looking forward to more. Supposedly they have this planned out as a 5-year arc. Wonder how many of those Netflix will allow to happen.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jun 7, 2015

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
E10: :stare: A BAZOOKA?!

ufarn
May 30, 2009

DivisionPost posted:

The other way to look at it is that this year is all about where everybody's coming from and how they all come together. So the focus is very much on individual stories, and the end sets up a more group-oriented story for the next season (though there are hooks to continue the individual stories; one instance is a straight-up cliffhanger, and at least two others wrap up neatly but change the character's circumstances in ways that can be explored on the next go).

But yeah, don't think of this as a plotty sci-fi epic in the vein of The Matrix. It's a multi-character study that shares more DNA with Babel or Short Cuts with clever science fiction elements spliced in.
Well, I still stand by it, partly because (season spoilers:) the personal stories for Kala and Riley don't have much of a resolution. Especially with the weird introduction of Riley's back story. Sun didn't get a lot of screentime, but there was clearly still an arc to her story. That said, the characters and their interactions are likeable, and I don't think watching the show for (all) the individual stories will necessarily be satisfying. My biggest beef was probably with Kala, who, as lovely as she and her interactions with Wolfgang were, didn't really go anywhere. She's still to be married, as far as we know, although recent events have dragged that out. But she doesn't really develop and act in an interesting way short of what she does to help her cluster.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jun 7, 2015

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

dik-dik posted:

Wonder how many of those Netflix will allow to happen.

Has Netflix ever cancelled an original show?

eta- I mean this has to be a better subscription re-newer then Hemlock Grove or Lillyhammer.

Zythrst fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jun 7, 2015

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
spose it depends how expensive it is, it's a lot of countries to film in.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Rocksicles posted:

spose it depends how expensive it is, it's a lot of countries to film in.

Sure, but some of that is saved on having a newcomer cast.

eta- to put it another way, Marco Polo has been renewed and that cost as much as game of thrones.

Zythrst fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jun 7, 2015

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Okay, I finished all the eps. All in all, I liked the show. The season A-plot was generic conspiracy poo poo I didn't care about but I enjoyed all the individual characters' stories as well as their interactions. The What's Up montage at the end of episode 4 was probably the highlight of the show for me, and I'd like to see more stuff like that. If there's a next season, I'd like them to start meeting in person, and not leave their character arcs hanging in favor of the Whispers plot.

The one thing that did really annoy me about the show was how Will and Riley were the only two who bothered to confirm that they were actually real people. I guess all the hacking Nomi did at the end eventually confirmed to her and Martha that it was more than just hallucinations, but shouldn't the other five go and test it out, or at least see real doctors?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Who's Martha? Do you mean Amanita?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Errrr yes, my bad for continuing to refer to her as Martha when discussing it with my brother and friends. :geno:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The series was pretty cool, tho I hope it gets renewed with what explaining nothing and all. And less pushing of an agenda by Lana Wachowski.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Combat Pretzel posted:

The series was pretty cool, tho I hope it gets renewed with what explaining nothing and all. And less pushing of an agenda by Lana Wachowski.

What agenda is that?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Combat Pretzel posted:

I don't see it that way. I'm no expert of LGBT politics by any stretch. But having minimal to do with the hardships or intolerance i suspect a lot of trans people suffer, actually in the show... Nomi had a lovely relationship with one parent, everyone else was either super supportive or gave zero fucks. Making the character trans gave a bit of depth to a normal lesbian relationship, that was nothing if not beautiful to watch. Lito and Hernando were just an amazing couple who clearly loved one another. Albeit closeted because of his job.... which sort of makes sense given where they were.

Not seeing an agenda, just characters that are not normally shown as such.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 7, 2015

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

depicting LGBT folks = agenda :ssh:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Just finished it. The last episode was the weakest of the season. The strength of the show is in having all the different stories and how they bounce off of each other, the finale lost that by narrowing in on Will and Riley. Not that they're bad characters or anything but they do suffer a little bit from boring lead character syndrome. The ensemble storytelling in all the other episodes goes a long way to dispel that. I did like that the finale showed how Kala's skills can contribute to the group, before that it felt like she didn't have much to offer them.

Also a moment of appreciation for the Van drat kick.

Combat Pretzel posted:

And less pushing of an agenda by Lana Wachowski.

I wouldn't call it pushing an agenda (apart from that one lovely scene in the pilot). Nomi being trans was the least interesting thing about her and was irrelevant to her actual plot. The only time it was really a big deal was that scene with Lito, where it made total sense.

dik-dik posted:

E10: ok really though wtf who takes photos of their friends loving

The way Dani is sorta part of the Lito/Hernando relationship and they're cool with that is adorable and I'm glad they seem to still be going like that even after Lito decided to stop hiding his sexuality

Crash74
May 11, 2009

dik-dik posted:

depicting LGBT folks = agenda :ssh:

Cumming and saying happy pride is a agenda.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Argue posted:

The season A-plot was generic conspiracy poo poo I didn't care about but I enjoyed all the individual characters' stories as well as their interactions.

Yea, the main plot line with Whispers was probably the weakest part of the show to me too, mainly because he's literally nothing. We have no clue of his agenda, his motive or his history and barely get a glimpse of his personality. He only appears for about 2 minutes or so total in the entire show most likely. I found myself feeling way more dread that Capheus' mom would bite it in relation for his actions or that the British drug dealer would follow Riley and murder her dad than anything to do with Whispers.

I dislike conspiracy style stuff like this though, because you eventually have to reveal the full mystery you've built up and it's never nearly as good as the anticipation has built expectations too, and if you want the show to continue past that point then the only thing you can really do is reveal a deeper, even more mysterious and hosed up conspiracy that was hiding behind the original one. Which always reeks of idiocy.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Crash74 posted:

Cumming and saying happy pride is a agenda.

I'm sorry you don't have a sense of humor.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

tsob posted:

Yea, the main plot line with Whispers was probably the weakest part of the show to me too, mainly because he's literally nothing. We have no clue of his agenda, his motive or his history and barely get a glimpse of his personality. He only appears for about 2 minutes or so total in the entire show most likely.
He is The Patriarchy.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

I like to hope that they have a cool story for why and how he turned against the other sensates but yeah, I realize this is a foolish thing to hope for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

dik-dik posted:

I like to hope that they have a cool story for why and how he turned against the other sensates but yeah, I realize this is a foolish thing to hope for.

I think that's down the road.

As is the inevitable "one of the cluster betrays the other seven" and "one of the cluster dies" plots.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but (ep12) is Whisphers part of the same cluster that Sayid and Angelica were, or is he part of a third cluster? What about the icelandic sens8? What's her deal again?

• Locked thread