Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I thought this was excellent scifi, and for one didn't mind the transgender hacktivist, cause please point to another character like that anywhere. Her background is loving brutal and amazing at the same time.

Probably one of the more positive LGBT Scifi series .. uh ever? Yeah I'd say ever.

Like seriously finally LGBT television series that kicks rear end? Yes please.

Everyone in the entire series is depicted as literally open minded, and The Group sex with all of them was loving hot.

Not enough love in this thread for the group sex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

DoctorX posted:

I think that since sensates can "share" their bodies allowing them to possess each other's bodies consensually, Whispers could do the same with the lobotomized guy only he was like an empty husk so Whispers could possess him even without his permission.

Yeah but I thought it was :

Outside of your cluster - Visit only
Inside your Cluster - Visit and Share

So the Zombie guy is part of his "cluster".

Also, I kind of wonder how their connected because it's obvious when one is in danger everyone in the cluster is alerted.

Kind of wonder if Whisper killed his entire cluster.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 11, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

DoctorX posted:

I think what being part of a cluster determines is which people you can connect with without having met in person, while the only way of connecting with a sensate that isn't part of your cluster is having looked into each other's eyes.

You can visit or share with anyone you have a connection with, but sharing not always means possessing the other person. Unless the other person allows you to control their body, it's just like looking through their eyes.

That's what the main characters did at the beginning, and when they started possessing each other it was always because one of them needed help and another one was willing to help them. Whispers just took over an empty body, so to speak.

At least that's what I thought.

When Jonas is talking to Will in the car he explained to him didn't he? I thought it was inside cluster share, outside cluster visit and know what they know but can't visit anyone else but who you had eye contact with. Whispers knows everything that Will sees and experiences from that point forward but not like who the other sensates are?

Midnight City posted:

Finished Ep 9 and I don't even know how I feel about the show. I like Wolfgang, Riley, Sun and Van Damm (legit can't remember his actual name) but all the rest are boring slogs that I don't give a poo poo about in any way whatsoever.

The constant trans/gay dropping, like the group sex making everybody bisexual(?) is getting really annoying. By the 5th or 6th episode I called it to myself that there was no way they weren't going to have an Antony and the Johnsons song on a montage and bingo, end of episode 9. I'm actually a big fan of the band but still had to roll my eyes.

This basically feels like a show Tumblr would write. Gotta show the trans couple being perfect bastions of trust and understanding, the marginalized woman in a patriarchy society overlooked, etc.

You do realize that this is a LGBT Science fiction show, like it couldn't more clear that it's going to be from that viewpoint? Literally the opening of the show has the rainbow flag in multiple scenes, and two men kissing.

Do you watch Queer as Folk and say things like " Man, wish that they'd stop bringing up HIV and all the gay sex scenes".

It's Queer Sci Fi.

Also, Wolfgang has a amazing loving story. His and Caphias are amazing, ugh but Lito's is so good to.

When Lito goes to get back Dani was awesome.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Can we mention how loving amazing Lito's birthscene was? I really wanna know what they were watching but seriously getting born during the middle of a dramatic act on a telenovella while the whole family laughs and cheers is loving amazing.

Everyone complaining about Nomi's struggle being cliche, but no one has said anything about all the other cliche's in the series. Like every single person is living out a stereotype and the others are able to help them out of that situation.

Wolfgang - Berlin Gangster / Russian?
Caphias - Everybody got aids
Sun - Women not respected
Nomi- Transgender issues
Lito - Closeted gay actor in a oppressive society
Icelandic Manic Pixie goth girl with troubled past
Will - a cop with one unsolved case that troubles him, Dad on the force.

Every single person's story is about cliche's and it's about overcoming these Commonproblems within their society with the help of their family.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

qbert posted:

How does that make the theory impossible?

Twin's don't actually come out of a vagina at the same time, one comes out first then the next one. They're not technically "born" at the same time

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

No it does work both ways, Jonas does exactly that I believe in one of the last two episodes. I think this will probably occur with Will in the next few ones as well.

Also, the acting in this is really good. That scene where Nomi and Lito are in the art museum was loving brutal.

Anything involving Lito is a amazing.

Also, Caphias in the van during the group sex scene and he's watching the Van Damm movie. I kind of get the feeling that maybe Caphias is secretly gay. I'm not sure though.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 12, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

There's also the whole thing of the other Sensate Riley encounters who claims Jonas and someone else worked for Whispers creating clusters purposefully and hunting them down which to me doesn't make sense?

Stracynzki's a decent television writer and does actually deliver the goods when it comes to long arcs. So I have no doubt if this goes the distance that It'll end satisfactorily.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Out of all of the characters in the series Lito for me had the most interesting character arc when he goes to confront Dani's abusive boyfriend after taking 4 shots of Tequila then the intro plays out like a soap opera as he drives up. All of that was fantastic. I think I like him and Wolfgang the most , but it's also hard to not like Caphias as well.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

No I think the way it worked was Rajan asked her father and his father who both agreed and the family pressured her into it. However , she saw how happy that it made her family so she went along with saying "we're in love". The fact that Rajan is such a nice person is something I really like a lot. Like he genuinely loves her , but she is not in love with him. However , I don't think she's being completely honest.

There are moments in their story where it seems to me at least that she does feel something for him. I think that came off really well like she doesn't hate him she actually likes him quite a lot but isn't "in love" with him.

I think it'd be interesting if one of the sense8's actually does fall in love with Rajan , because he's such a good person and through that she grows to love him.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 13, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

My ranking for story would be probably be Lito, Wolfgang, Capheus, Sun, Hala, Will, Riley, Nomi.

Nomi and Lito though have probably the best acted scene in the series , where they are sitting in the art museum and just talking to each other about their lives.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Uh, I thought Nomi was probably one of the better Actresses on the show , people are saying she is not a good actress? Did they watch the scene between her and Lito in the museum.

Like everyone on the show except for maybe will and Riley had dynamite performances .

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Actually my theory about Whisker's is that that is not his original body. Simply killing Whispers won't work. They have to destroy his "husks" and escape hatches.

Whiskers is controlling people who are Lobotomized, which is scary when you realize they've been lobotomizing people all over the world, so Whiskers may have multiple Husks. These also may be his "escape" hatches.

Meaning he's unkillable, if they kill him he'll jump into another body before the one he inhabits dies. The body he has now may not actually even be his "original" body.

Whisker's is a lot scarier than as he's presented, he's basically unkillable as long as he has other Husks around. They have to kill those husks.

Reminder, this same thing happens to Will when he's chasing Jonas in the car. It's also allowing Angelica to visit the Sense8s possibly even though she is "dead".

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 17, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

PaganGoatPants posted:

Didn't Angelica have some means of masking herself too?

Heroin.

What did the other Icelandic Sense8 say about Jonah? That they hunted Sense8's with Whiskers?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Belgian Waffle posted:

Everyone we've seen so far shows up as their True Selves when they're appearing in someone else's head, so Whispers being a puppet seems unlikely. It might be something he's working towards, though?

With that said, Angelica's dead and she's been doing Ghost Jedi poo poo throughout the entire show. I figure that it's because she's the Mother of the protagonist Cluster and we're seeing some sort of mental after-image in their psyches.

Lots of unexplained mechanics with the sensates but it's been pretty consistent with the things they've presented so far, I think.

That's actually not it, other Sense8s see them as their true selves in mirrors for example. Nomi sees Whispers controlling the guy that goes after them. Whispers is in full control of those guys.

The rule is

Inside your cluster - Visit and Share
Outside your cluster - Visit Only

However if a Sense8 is lobotimized some how Whispers can control that body and visit and share that body.

Everything is actually explained through out.

Powers of Sense8s

Visit - and Can visit with Time Dilation , meaning they can "visit" at the speed of thought. Wolfgang and Lito do this exact thing.

Share - Inside Cluster only, also not only skills but experience memories - Lito and Nomi go through this.

Sense8s also experience past trauma and emotions more strongly and with out the help of their other cluster can go insane Riley is a example of this.

If a Sense 8 is not conscious cannot visit

Must gain eye to eye contact in person if outside of cluster and you wish to visit.

ElCondemn posted:

I'm totally cool with them not really getting into the motivation of Whispers yet, there's still so many questions about how sensates actually work that it's not super pressing to find out why there's a killer sensate hunting them. I'm sure the second season will dive into what's going on, we don't even really have any idea who Angelica was/is and how she connected and/or created their cluster.

Don't forget the ghost that will was apparently seeing all the time as a child, who knows how this whole telepathy thing really works, it's still not clearly defined.

That's not a ghost that's Riley as a child watching other mother be autopsied by Whispers. Riley's mother was a Sense8 and the other woman and my theory she was inside the other sense8 in icelands cluster.

Will confuses the two in his memory.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah my EMS siren went off at the hospital scene, that's completely unrealistic to a degree. I have had hospitals lock their doors and be like gently caress you tak them somewhere else though.

I actually think the birthing of clusters is what Whsipers is trying to prevent because it's a exponential growth when you think about it. If 1 can produce 8 then 8 can produce 64 and so on.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Christmas episode is real good. Surprised though that they have a Christmas episode kind of odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Apparently he was just a rear end in a top hat which is disappointing. It's Capheus btw.

• Locked thread