Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

So, not going to get into the details, but my girlfriend outright refuses to can/jar or eat anything that is home canned/home jarred (Major OCD about botulism, yes I know it's ridiculous and yes she's trying to get help but it's been her trigger for years).

That being said we have a garden every year and we freeze our bags of pureed tomatoes and bags of sauce. The issue is ice crystals that get in there. When we dump the tomato sauce into the bag and lay it flat in the freezer , no matter how full we fill the bag there's that little bubble that forms on the front of it and the ice crystals start forming. We also freeze chicken stock, local corn, etc and it's always the same problem.

All the vacuum sealers i see look like they are for meat, and solid things, as opposed to liquids. Is there a liquid vacuum sealer out there? I would love to be able to freeze these bags solid with no ice crystals. We bought a chest freezer this year so we can store more of the stuff, I would just like it to last a little longer.

Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Vertigo posted:

So, not going to get into the details, but my girlfriend outright refuses to can/jar or eat anything that is home canned/home jarred (Major OCD about botulism, yes I know it's ridiculous and yes she's trying to get help but it's been her trigger for years).

That being said we have a garden every year and we freeze our bags of pureed tomatoes and bags of sauce. The issue is ice crystals that get in there. When we dump the tomato sauce into the bag and lay it flat in the freezer , no matter how full we fill the bag there's that little bubble that forms on the front of it and the ice crystals start forming. We also freeze chicken stock, local corn, etc and it's always the same problem.

All the vacuum sealers i see look like they are for meat, and solid things, as opposed to liquids. Is there a liquid vacuum sealer out there? I would love to be able to freeze these bags solid with no ice crystals. We bought a chest freezer this year so we can store more of the stuff, I would just like it to last a little longer.

Thanks

You could get a chamber sealer, but they're big and expensive.

There are gimmicky tricks to sealing liquids with a regular vacuum sealer, like double bagging or putting a towel in front of the pump, or just relying on ninja reflexes to stop the pump at the exact right time.

Probably the easiest solution: freeze the liquid the old fashioned way in a ziplock bag or whatever, then transfer the frozen block to a vacuum bag and seal that.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
^^^
Exactly, just freeze normally and vacuum the next day.

Now for the real question of the thread: Why is your gf so weird about putting stuff into jars? Did a family member die of botulism or something? You know it is very rare and also treatable right?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Vertigo posted:

yes I know it's ridiculous and yes she's trying to get help

Nooner posted:

You know it is very rare and also treatable right?

Good job, Nooner.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Croatoan posted:

Good job, Nooner.

Relax kid

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...

Vertigo posted:

she's trying to get help

this is doubtful.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
RAWR IM THE BOTULIZARD PHEAR ME

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

ayy lmao

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Nooner posted:

ayy lmao

lol poo poo

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Nooner posted:

^^^
Exactly, just freeze normally and vacuum the next day.

Now for the real question of the thread: Why is your gf so weird about putting stuff into jars? Did a family member die of botulism or something? You know it is very rare and also treatable right?

I'm not his girlfriend, but I'm the same way. I'd love to can my own food, but it terrifies me since I watched a friend's mother get some weird heart condition from eating her home-canned beans that weren't canned correctly.

Maybe that was a bullshit story, but it was pretty bad :( She died because her heart was too weak to rehab after a car accident a few years later.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
**smokes 2 packs a day, hasnt been sober in years**

fuckin canned beans did me in again!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I use the mason jar sealer attachment. Works like a charm for freezer-bound stocks, soups, and stuff.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Suspect Bucket posted:

I use the mason jar sealer attachment. Works like a charm for freezer-bound stocks, soups, and stuff.

please include a trigger warning in your future posts, tia

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Suspect Bucket posted:

This or freeze overnight vacuum next day works wonders. I make like 12 servings of ricotta gnocchi, spread them on pans and freeze until hard, then vac two servings per bag. Literally takes longer for the sauce to heat and the water to boil to pull bag, tear it open and cook the gnocchi. Even easier than that, if the sauce is well composed and not too runny, you can just seal it without doing any of that by leaving plenty of headspace, using the moist/low setting on the sealer, and hitting the seal button as soon as the liquid starts to creep up.

But freezing is your best bet.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Suspect Bucket posted:

Wait, you freeze stocks inside Mason jars? What keeps them from expanding and breaking the glass?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Wait, you freeze stocks inside Mason jars? What keeps them from expanding and breaking the glass?

Don't fill em up that much?

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

Nooner posted:

\

I... don't know. She has got major OCD issues about certain things. Botulism being one of them. Nothing you say to her can make her stop worrying about it once she's convinced there's a risk.

Thanks for the answers in the rest of this thread, you guys got me laughing.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

No Butt Stuff posted:

I'd love to can my own food, but it terrifies me since I watched a friend's mother get some weird heart condition from eating her home-canned beans that weren't canned correctly.
Go go modern life

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Casu Marzu posted:

Don't fill em up that much?

Pro. Leave an inch and a half headspace. Freezes no problem then. Have had a few bust, but that was when I overfilled. The freezing stock just expands into the vacuum.

The trick is to keep them in the door so they don't fall out and shatter on your foot. That hurts.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
While we're talkin pro-tips, when you want to thaw the food

1) start your faucet, get water as hot as possible
2) leave the frozen mason jar under the hot water
3) voila!

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Fetus Tree posted:

While we're talkin pro-tips, when you want to thaw the food

1) start your faucet, get water as hot as possible
2) leave the frozen mason jar under the hot water
3) voila!

pro-tip for getting the botulism maybe -- no one listen to this troll!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Nooner posted:

pro-tip for getting the botulism maybe -- no one listen to this troll!

Maybe don't leave it there for four hours?

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

you can quickly thaw a frozen turkey by using a deep fryer

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Libelous Slander posted:

you can quickly immolate a frozen turkey by using a deep fryer

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

MasterFugu posted:

Libelous Slander posted:
you can quickly immolate yourself using a frozen turkey and a deep fryer

MoldyFrog
Oct 28, 2006
Who doesnt like a green fuzzy thing?
I have a vac master VP215 chamber sealer. Its a beast and what you are after but spendy. Like others mentioned theres various tricks you can do when freezing to try to minimize that air pocket but you'll never 100% get rid of it.

She does realize that if you're canning tomato sauce that you're still generally safe. Even if you made a huge batch of botulism bombs that had no obvious signs of spoilage that boiling destroys the toxin. In the case of sauce you are probably simmering that sauce for some time and you will be safe. Its a reason I make my sauce a bit on the thin side so I can simmer it down.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
Ask her if she knows what botulism is. I have a very strong feeling she couldn't even tell you.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
botulism is a funny-sounding word for "gross vomit and poo poo death"

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

that's just a dumb urban legend fyi

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

Vertigo posted:

So, not going to get into the details, but

This would have worked if you didnt immediately follow it up with details. Did your girlfriend ask you to make this thread to seek a food preparation solution compatible with her special needs, or did you act on your own accord?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Whatever dude sometimes people are freaked out by things that they shouldn't be freaked out by that's why it's called a phobia.

Can we focus on the vacuum sealing please I'm trying to get off over here.

• Locked thread