Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

astrollinthepork posted:

Thank you for the kind words and advice. Especially to fjelltorsk. Learning how little extinguishers actually affect car fires is a sobering realization, but I am still going to carry one.

You should, because it just might make the difference. I've been a firefighter for the better part of my life so I've seen a whole lot. If you get the extinguisher on things early you just might stop the nightmare fuel that you unfortunately had to experience. But based on your description I concur with the others saying that is was just too late. Anything short of a mini pumper, preferably with CAFS, would have done little to nothing.

Mini tools for breaking windows and cutting seat belts are great, but often impractical for everyday carry. I have two, one in my gear and one attached to my gear bag that sits in my car. You can tell they've been though some poo poo:

What you might want to carry is a knife or multi tool. That's actually useful enough for everyday situations that it's worth carrying and could be useful in extraordinary situations as well. You can learn to break automotive side windows relatively safely with the handle of a folding knife or multi tool.

I'm sorry to hear you had to go through that. I still can't sleep much the evening after a fatal that I've been on. And I'm nearly 25 years into seeing this poo poo on a regular basis.

But thank you for stopping and actually trying to do something. You are among a minority who would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

fjelltorsk posted:

Motronic: could you shed some light on something for me?

Why does american firefighters seem so stubborn not to don their masks when working a car fire?

I will kick my guys in the balls right on the fire ground for that kind of macho horse poo poo. It's stupid, but it's a pervasive problem in the US fire service because of watching too many episodes of Emergency and poo poo by guys who are too young to have ever been fighting fires before we didn't know this was a problem and long after demand draw packs where you could just hang your mask and take a hit off of it every once in a while when you "needed to."

It's definitely a department by department thing, but we have too many departments that still don't trust new fangled things like laptops with map books in trucks. Or electric valves on trucks. Or <insert well proven system made past 1980 here>.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 7, 2015

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SouthLAnd posted:

If you find yourself dwelling on it (or having nightmares), might help to talk to a professional about it.

This is a really good point.

At the squad/fire department we have other people who have been through this to talk to as well as professional councilors. I've needed it plenty of times.

• Locked thread