Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Saga posted:

I claim zero personal expertise in this, but didn't we have threads on this a while back where people whose cars do regularly catch on fire (Vanagon owners basically?) said that an extinguisher isn't much use for a significant underhood / fuel fire? As in, you empty it directly into the bay and then about 15 seconds later it's burning again.

If so, it probably wouldn't do the tiniest amount of good if the source of the fire's on the other side of the euphemistically named firewall from you. In which case easily reachable glass breakers might be more helpful.

I asked this question here are few months ago and the concensus was that a fire extinguisher was not much use for a car fire as in the real world, once it is on fire, get out and call your insurance company.

It did encourage me to buy window breakers and I've just ordered a couple of ResQMe knock-offs from ebay. I did look at the hammers, but youtube videos suggest that they don't always work, but the resqme does - especially if you aren't able to swing a hammer.

astrollinthepork - thanks for trying. It sounds like there wasn't anything you could have done, even if you'd rolled up with a full disaster kit.

spog fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

astrollinthepork posted:

Thank you for the kind words and advice. Especially to fjelltorsk. Learning how little extinguishers actually affect car fires is a sobering realization, but I am still going to carry one. I think that even a few seconds is very important in such situations. Fatalities from car fires are a relatively rare thing but it does not hurt to be prepared as much as possible. At the very least a safety hammer, seat belt cutter, and basic first aid costs very little and takes up little room. Barring that, first aid knowledge will definitely help you in these situations. Don't come across a wreck and be helpless like I was, whatever the situation may be. Fire, overturned car, trapped passengers, shock, or a million other scenarios. Don't be unprepared without basic equipment or ignorant of what to do. Even something as simple as knowing when to keep someone still and calm vs extricating them from a vehicle is invaluable.

People like you save lives.

In this case, there wasn't anything that you could have done: the situation was too bad and had already gone past the point of rescue when you arrived.

But you made an effort. You kept your head and tried and for that, you deserve my thanks.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/..._rd_p=577138707

Coincidentally, for Brits, the ResQMe tool is going be an Amazon supersale tomorrow at 9am

Which I am hoping the firefighers here will tell me are a good idea to buy, since were not not allowed to carry big knives here.

Actually, on that subject, how do you break a car window in an emergency without a special tool? I have a swiss army knife, but I get the impression that it would struggle?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

kastein posted:

Someone in the midwest chapter of the club had an electrical fire* result in the fuel system catching fire as well a while back. One person was hospitalized with burns to one of their feet, everyone else was fine, the jeep is still wheeling today. However, it took over fifty of the little 2.5lb fire extinguishers to put it out, and they started using them about as soon as there was evidence of a fire.

This is a hilarious image: you guys gang-banged a jeep.

In fact, now I think about, did you form a queue; each of you making awkward small talk before taking your turn in the spotlight, only to for it to be over in a disappointingly small time, then join the growing group of the spent, avoiding eye contact and not mentioning your failures to each other?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

quote:

A Texas man and his dog died after they apparently became trapped inside the man’s car because the doors wouldn’t unlock, according to a Houston-area television station. Officials with the Port Arthur Police Department told KBMT that 72-year-old James Rogers was found unresponsive inside his vehicle with his dog, Leia, the station reported on Tuesday.

The door locks in his 2007 Chevy Corvette are completely electric, and officers said it appeared the battery cable came loose while the pair was inside the car. With no power, the doors would not unlock.

The fire department was called and they had trouble getting inside the vehicle, according to KBMT. When they finally got inside, they found Rogers and Leia dead. Evidence at the scene indicated the man struggled to get out of the car before he died, the station reported.

His death was likely a result of the heat, police told KBMT. The victim was not able to call anyone for help because he accidentally left his cell phone at a Waffle House.
Another reason to have a window breaker in your car

quote:

According to Corvette experts, there is a manual release inside the vehicle, but most people don’t know about it and many say it is difficult to see. The release is usually located on the left-hand side of the floorboard by the driver and the right-hand side by the passenger.

Or, reading the manual that came with the car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Trip report:

I bought a couple of Resqme knock-offs from China for £1 each. I then immediately thought how dumb it was to save a couple of pounds on something that your life could depend on and bought a couple of originals for £9 each

After testing, it is definitely worth spending the extra: The originals require a consistent push to fire, the knock-offs require all the effort at the end of the push and seem to need twice the effort. The original punches a hole half the size of the knock-offs (tested in a bit of wood), so probably is more concentrated force.

In fact, I can't get the knock-offs to fire by using my weak hand at all. Bloody useless.

• Locked thread