Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I just uploaded my W.A.S.P. fighter as a World because someone asked for it, and I've left a little gift for anyone willing to check the following GPS coordinates in said world. Just plug this in as a Waypoint and go take a look;

GPS:Special Toy:-584.82:-444.95:-1301.4:

If you want to spoil the surprise; There's a small-block Projector containing the blueprint for the Dongfighter :gizz:. I'll probably quietly remove it in a day or two just in case :ninja:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
Latest creation. Unfinished, so don't expect too much. Also note that there's a lot of useful things concealed under shutters along the dorsal armour, like backup solar panels, an IFF beacon, and maintenance access for four of the assembler modules.

The Iron Llama
Mar 12, 2011

A genius billionaire playboy camelid.

It's got a very homeworld sort of vibe to it. I'm digging it, especially the interiors.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

The exterior Homeworld look is all GotLag's wizardry, essentially I cut and re-welded various sections from two of his ships and then added a few bits and pieces externally, before totally reworking the interior.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
There were some early mods in the workshop that were 1:1 scale replicas of the Nabal Shipyard, the Hiigaran Carrier and the Vaygr Frigate.

Those things were pretty intense, and I think you could get some excellent functionality out of craft that size if you rebuilt them with all the new toys.

I think once planets are a thing, that's what I'll do for the Shipyard. Perfect size to serve as a proper space station with plenty of room to throw in a capitol manufactorium inside.

Then all of a sudden gravity is a thing and you get to watch from the bridge as it falls to earth Hiigara. :getin:

SexyCommando
Mar 1, 2014

Just do your best.
Just do your worst.
Working on a new standard rifle, trying to make it fit the Space Engineers aesthetic more than the modern-day-military-looking vanilla rifle. I still need to give it a proper stock and add an iron-sight to it, but after that it's on to the texture.
Once I'm done with this I'm planning on doing a pistol as well as a third weapon, maybe a sniper rifle or shotgun.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SexyCommando posted:

Working on a new standard rifle, trying to make it fit the Space Engineers aesthetic more than the modern-day-military-looking vanilla rifle. I still need to give it a proper stock and add an iron-sight to it, but after that it's on to the texture.
Once I'm done with this I'm planning on doing a pistol as well as a third weapon, maybe a sniper rifle or shotgun.

I really like that design, but I think for a more Space Engineers aesthetic you need something slightly more simple and chunky for a rifle designed to be used in space. That one's just a shade too sci-fi, if you get what I mean, though I'd totally want that one as well.

SexyCommando
Mar 1, 2014

Just do your best.
Just do your worst.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I really like that design, but I think for a more Space Engineers aesthetic you need something slightly more simple and chunky for a rifle designed to be used in space. That one's just a shade too sci-fi, if you get what I mean, though I'd totally want that one as well.
Thanks, I tried to stick to straight lines and flat surfaces for the most part, except for a few details. Keep in mind some of the lines are actually separating two pieces of one continuous part and they won't actually appear in the final model-- it might make it look more complex than it really is. That said, I'll probably re-work the more intricate-looking parts to simplify it even more.

Hell, even if the guns I make don't necessarily look 100% Space Engineers, at least they'll be a new gun set with a consistent look to them, which is the most important thing I'm after.

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Please send them a very large crate marked "SCIENCE. PROBABLY DANGEROUS. BUT VERY SCIENTIFIC. YES."
Don't make a shotgun. All close range combat should be done with hand tools :black101:

SexyCommando
Mar 1, 2014

Just do your best.
Just do your worst.
What about a re-skin of the grinder into a chainsaw?

E: Now that I think about it, we're getting planets with trees, so it wouldn't even be that out of place.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SexyCommando posted:

What about a re-skin of the grinder into a chainsaw?

E: Now that I think about it, we're getting planets with trees, so it wouldn't even be that out of place.

Yes please :allears:. All you really need for a gun to look like it'll fit is something that's big and boxy, or at least has as few separate parts as possible. It's gotta go through all that space dust in/around asteroids to blow away pesky miners, after all.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Buttmeister posted:

(I'm working off the source code, which is another issue: how the hell am I going to distribute this? Dumb move on my end, but if all else fails I can just make an installer maybe I guess that permanently modifies in game files??)

:confused: The EULA in their github repo is pretty clear about this: you can make and distribute derivative works as long as you don't remove the Steam integration and they require a valid install of SE to work. Just (a) make sure it depends on some of the stock SE content and (b) don't include that in your download and you're good, AIUI.

(Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer of any kind)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Another week, another round of new Scenario Mode conditions and steps towards Planets.

1.089 posted:

Summary
New conditions for scenarios have been added. Time condition will allow to set time limit in which mission should be completed. The limit is being set in minutes. Minimum value that can inserted is 1 min, if time is set it will be displayed in the right corner. There is also possibility to set time limit for spawning in respawn screen. If players hangs in respawn screen for too long he will lose the game. Another condition is the block destroyed. Both new settings can be used as both win and lose conditions. Scenario description can be displayed in-game by pressing 'U' key - the description will match the one from the workshop. Lastly we added new voxel material - organic matter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVa5IGvEu84

Features
- Mission condition: mission time
- Mission condition: block destroyed
- Mission condition: respawn screen time
- In-game mission briefing screen
- New voxel material
- Assembler now processes more than 1 item per Update (community contribution: joemorin73)

Fixes
- fixed animation when running and shooting at the same time
- fixed shooting while sprinting

Alas, "Organic Matter" is merely soil and grass, not the nightmarish incomprehensible living flesh of a world devouring all who approach it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Alas, "Organic Matter" is merely soil and grass, not the nightmarish incomprehensible living flesh of a world devouring all who approach it.

But now we can make grassteroids!   :downsrim:

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Another week, another round of new Scenario Mode conditions and steps towards Planets.

Someday, we will be able to remake The Meat Planet, with its rivers of beef and pork, with its potato-shaped moons :allears:

The Iron Llama
Mar 12, 2011

Seeing as I've torn apart and restarted my cruiser for probably the eighth time now, I figured I'd share an interceptor I've been working on for a while:

It's taken quite a bit of tweaking to pack in all the guns, thrusters, boosters and gyros... it's far too much power packed in too small a space. It hits top speed in about six seconds, but has a tendency to redline the reactor if you start maneuvering with inertial dampeners on. Flipping on an auxiliary battery will give you nine minutes of full maneuverability. I designed it mostly to chase down drones or other fighters, but the heavy guns on it can punch through light capital armor quite effectively.

And god help you if you wind up in front of it.

I'll probably send it through another revision before I'm totally happy with it, but it's a lot of fun to fly.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Hotfix dropped;

quote:

EDIT 07/03/2015:
Update 01.089.014
- fixed placing new ships without building components
- fixed items cannot be moved between inventories.
- fixed depressurization forces not being applied
- fixed inventory loading/ saving fix
- fixed pasting of ships not working correctly

The Iron Llama posted:

It's taken quite a bit of tweaking to pack in all the guns, thrusters, boosters and gyros... it's far too much power packed in too small a space.

There's no such thing! :science:

Just one thing though, your fighter seems to be missing braking thrusters.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
That's what flipping end-over-end is for! I think it having a 9 minute 'full capacity' limit is a feature personally - a whole lot of interceptors through time have had very short flight times, and it encourages planning and tactics. I mean it's not a big thing since we can't do hundreds-of-players battles, but treating each ship as part of a larger fleet doctrine is always enjoyable.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just one thing though, your fighter seems to be missing braking thrusters.
What do you call these then?

(There's probably a couple on the bottom.)

Loomer posted:

I think it having a 9 minute 'full capacity' limit is a feature personally - a whole lot of interceptors through time have had very short flight times, and it encourages planning and tactics.
Yeah, that part is ok.

Batteries have some ups and downs. On the plus side, they have a huge power/weight ratio advantage over small reactors and a modest one over larges. However, a lot of that advantage goes away when you add a connector so that the fighter can recharge -- connectors are heavy. If you were planning on putting one on anyways it's not really a loss, but otherwise you need to use the connector as a kinda medium armor. Like, on the top or bottom not on the back side. Connectors may be heavy but they're also pretty sturdy.

The other downside is the size, nearly as much volume as a large reactor -- so more surface to armor. Small reactors can do neat tricks fitting into nooks and crannies to keep your ship compact. If the battery was a bit smaller it wouldn't be as much an issue, but as is for the small fighter I think would be ideal for it's power output it doesn't fit.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well, joy. This week's game-breaking bug is... :rolldice:... You can't merge constructions with copy/paste. Here's hoping it's something they'll hotfix :sigh:.

The Iron Llama
Mar 12, 2011

There are indeed braking thrusters on the bottom. The thruster boost modules from keen are remarkably effective (but what I wouldn't give to paint block faces different colors)

Also, the battery is in addition to the large reactor stuffed in the fuselage, so when you're just cruising you can stick it in recharge mode.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Iron Llama posted:

There are indeed braking thrusters on the bottom. The thruster boost modules from keen are remarkably effective (but what I wouldn't give to paint block faces different colors)

Also, the battery is in addition to the large reactor stuffed in the fuselage, so when you're just cruising you can stick it in recharge mode.

You might want to stick some Maglock Blocks underneath for landing gear (the 1x1x1 blocks, not the surface pads). Connectors on their own can and will drift off at a high enough speed.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You might want to stick some Maglock Blocks underneath for landing gear (the 1x1x1 blocks, not the surface pads). Connectors on their own can and will drift off at a high enough speed.

Ugh, yes they will. :( It seems the only way to reliably lock things into place for long-distance, high-speed travel is mods. At least at this point, there's nothing reliable enough in vanilla.

Do the mag-lock blocks have the same issue that landing gear do, with the dance of death and self-destruction?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

The Iron Llama posted:

Seeing as I've torn apart and restarted my cruiser for probably the eighth time now, I figured I'd share an interceptor I've been working on for a while:

It's taken quite a bit of tweaking to pack in all the guns, thrusters, boosters and gyros... it's far too much power packed in too small a space. It hits top speed in about six seconds, but has a tendency to redline the reactor if you start maneuvering with inertial dampeners on. Flipping on an auxiliary battery will give you nine minutes of full maneuverability. I designed it mostly to chase down drones or other fighters, but the heavy guns on it can punch through light capital armor quite effectively.

And god help you if you wind up in front of it.

I'll probably send it through another revision before I'm totally happy with it, but it's a lot of fun to fly.

Man I love how this thing looks, it's like an X-Com ship after we steal some alien tech or something :allears:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

XkyRauh posted:

Ugh, yes they will. :( It seems the only way to reliably lock things into place for long-distance, high-speed travel is mods. At least at this point, there's nothing reliable enough in vanilla.
It's less about needing mods and more about the physics system behaving badly. The plan to eventually fix things is locking the two grids into a single physics object, but that seems to be more difficult than it sounds. The same core issue also fucks up rotors and pistons, because it's caused by inaccuracy keeping two physics objects (they need to be separate objects so they can move) locked in synch while moving relative to the world. I've often wondered if the problem could be helped a lot by changing the landing gear connection to an elastic connection or something. You don't see the wheels vibrating themselves off the suspension every time you drive over a bump in multiplayer.

As for things that are reliable in vanilla, I've found that a combo of landing gear plus a connector is pretty good. What works even better is for the landing gear to be on the large ship holding on to the small ship, rather than vice versa. But that brings you right back to the maglock plates because large landing gear take up a stupid amount of space.

quote:

Do the mag-lock blocks have the same issue that landing gear do, with the dance of death and self-destruction?
Maglock mod has the same physics, but avoids many catastrophic failures with the much more generous locking zone. The pads have pretty much one full block of space that they attach in, so you can have a much bigger gap between the ships. Less collisions from physics vibration, less chance for two blocks to occupy the same space when the connection finally breaks.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

The Iron Llama posted:

It's adorable :allears:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
A few hours ago I did something very, very stupid. One of the fun little secrets in this game is that a stack of Explosives will actually create a blast based on the stack size (A rookie mistake on the Workshop is the belief more warheads == bigger boom. All it does is create a collection of separate normal explosions, and as they're all bunched together you won't really see much of a difference except a slightly-larger blast area). If you can reliably detonate them, you have a pretty good weapon on your hands. On my system it'll generally handle up to about 50,000L worth of explosives before the game falls over entirely on my system ( the game throws its hands up and crashes to desktop)

Just out of blind curiosity, I loaded an Azimuth Large Container to full. That's 850,000 Explosive pallets, or about 1,700,000L in size, and detonated it with multiple warheads. Naturally it did the normal freeze to try and process this and I let it run in the background. It's still trying some seven hours later. I know it hasn't frozen, because my PC says the game's still responding and if I alt-tab in, it's playing normal background reactor hums so I think I'm going to let it sit and run overnight just to see if it'll render :munch:. I dub it MOTHERBOMB.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
:siren: HYPERSPACE SIGNATURE DETECTED :siren:

Drui posted:

Summary
Jump drive has been added to the game. It is a new traveling mechanism that allows players to travel big distances in a short period of time. Only large ships can have a jump drive. The jump drive is a block that needs to be attached to the ship and must be charged with energy up to 100% so the jump can be made. There are two different types of jumps – blind and GPS guided. The blind jump will lead you to the direction that the cockpit is heading and the traveled distance can be set in the control panel (the distance is depended to the mass of the ship and the amount of the powered jump drive blocks that are on the ship). The targeted jump will get you to a specified GPS coordinate. After the jump is done, the energy needed is depleted. To increase jump distances or mass transport capacity, you will have to build more jump drives. Any of the jump drives can be then used as the master drive that will use the other available drives if needed.

Note: Please note that power has been enabled on all ships in starting scenarios in survival mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBo_qY_vYdc

Features
- Jump Drive

Jump Drive Rules
- the jump drive block must be attached to the ship and has to be charged with energy up to 100%
- the jump drive is available only for large ships
- jumps can be done only from the cockpit, by using the "jump" action (not from the control panel)
- if a main cockpit option is set, only the main cockpit can do the jump
- the jump cannot be accelerated from the control panel, but has to be assigned as an action to the cockpit’s toolbar
- the game will automatically calculate if the ship is able to reach the final destination with the current number of jump drives and the ship’s mass, this information is shown as a number of % in the confirmation screen
- In control panel: the jump drive can have a set distance (useful for blind jumps), or can be maximum based on the ships equipment (maximum is set as default)
- the minimum distance for the jump is 5 Km by default
- a jump can be done only to a safe proximity of objects (other ships, stations, asteroids, planets)
- the final destination of the jump must be empty in a 2 Km diameter. Any object in the area will shorten the jump and the ship will appear 2 km before the object
- in case of a shortened jump towards a GPS coordinate or a blind direction, the ship should spawn before an object is in its way - the ship should never spawn in an asteroid or other ship even if the calculations are correct
- Rules of transport: all small ships or large ships that want to travel with the ship must be connected through connectors or landing gears. Players must be seated in seats, cockpits or cryochambers. Everything not attached to the ship as mentioned will stay in the spot and will not do the jump.

Fixes
- fixed placing armor corner 2x1x1 tip with wrong offset
- fixed volume of the hand drill
- fixed issue with clearing blueprint search by using "X"
- fixed issue with gravity generator reporting different values than spherical one
- fixed incorrect tooltip when switching between tabs in terminal
- fixed speed on HUD updating too frequently when sprinting
- fixed rotation hints shaking when copy pasting
- fixed issue with critical energy after turning ship ON
- fixed misspell in XML
- fixed issue with station rotation mode appearing when copy pasting ships
- fixed issue with renaming scripts
- fixed small inconsistency in voice-over
- fixed issue when g-screen opens after re-spawn
- fixed copy & paste issues with large ships

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Oh my god :stwoon:. They pretty much had to bite the bullet on this one considering planets are going to be like 50km in size, plus travel between them. That jump distortion is a beautiful thing, and I love that it can save coordinates too. I give it a day, at most, before the Small Ship Mega Mod has a version of it though.

Incidentally the motherbomb never finished rendering its blast, even after letting it run for 24 hours in the background :sigh:. I've also been working on remodeling the Avalon again.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 9, 2015

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

GotLag posted:

Rules of transport: all small ships or large ships that want to travel with the ship must be connected through connectors or landing gears. Players must be seated in seats, cockpits or cryochambers. Everything not attached to the ship as mentioned will stay in the spot and will not do the jump.

I have prepared for maximum comedy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
How long do you give it before the realism spergs start having aneurisms over KSH sticking that Jumpdrive in Space Engineers?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Neddy Seagoon posted:

How long do you give it before the realism spergs start having aneurisms over KSH sticking that Jumpdrive in Space Engineers?

Without going over there to look, I'd say it's already happening.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

deadly_pudding posted:

I have prepared for maximum comedy.

Cryo-chamber room that disconnects immediately before the rest of the ship jumps away?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm surprised they added it given they were going for more realism but it's probably for the best.

Going to be entertaining if someone fatfingers the jumpdrive when pointed at a planet.

Also yes, jumping the ship and leaving the crew behind would be pretty great.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'm expecting that'll get fixed in a couple of weeks, just because the FTL mod exists already and works fine with people standing inside a ship.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Doing some quick testing, it looks like they've put some safety measures in place. If you try to Jump directly into the middle of your station (either by blind jump pointed right at it, or by GPS to a spot in the middle of it) the Jump will instead place you ~1000m safely away!

However, if you're going into a Jump with your Intertial Dampeners off, and you're not stopped, you're going to come out of the Jump still traveling. I don't know that I like that--it makes the Jump Drive as a last-ditch rescue effort kind of pointless.

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
It makes hot drops super interesting though, as you can come out of jump moving at combat speeds. Also, what exactly does the jump drive detect when determining a clear space for jump? I'm thinking some kind of flack weapon or drone fleet designed to create an interdiction field to prevent hostile cqc jumps, or to funnel incoming jumps to a specific area.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Jump Drive trip report: Duchessa II is approx 1,800,000 kg, gets just over 1,300 km from one drive unit, which is all I can squeeze in without major structural changes. Good enough for me.

Other things to consider: if you have one or more drives turned off when you jump, you can then switch them on and jump again without having to wait for a recharge.

Edit: as each drive stores its own target GPS location, you could use a programmable block or some timers to make a ship that jumps from waypoint to waypoint.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

What happens to anything detached from the ship (people, undocked fighters)? I know they "fail to jump" but I'm curious as to what that failure state entails. Are they just left floating where they were, the ship disappearing around them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
Countdown to

• Locked thread