Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
:siren: ENGLISH VERSION IS OUT ON STEAM :siren:

Tale of Wuxia is an enhanced 3D remake of Helio Studio’s Legend of Wulin Heroes. It’s a Chinese RPG Wuxia hero raising sim where you get to raise a kung fu hero and experience life as a Wuxia in the world of Jianghu setting inspired by Jin Yong’s novels. The game is not out yet, so new content informations are pretty scarce right now.

:siren: THE GAME IS GREENLIGHTED! It only took a week! :siren:

The following is a few comparison screenshots of both version of the game.

Battle System

The original battle system is a turn base tactical strategy where you control your character and allies to fight various enemies with kung fu/ability that provide different range, area, and effect.

The remake retains the same system, but made a few tweaks to be more dramatic with strategic pressure like reinforcement and a boon to the enemies as time or certain condition remind unfulfilled. Certain events can also be triggered in a battle that has permanent effects on the game plot or side stories.

Raising Sim

The other half of the game is to strategically raise your hero’s stats in a training Sim with friend-making mechanics. It is drawn in Chibi art style in which the narrative becomes more humorous and entertaining. There are many mini-games associate with certain skills (mostly hobby skills) and it’s quite fun to be honest. Except maybe the fishing mini-game… I hope they make some improvements to it in the remake. :argh:

The Sim mode in the remade redrawn every character and replace the background with watercolor art.

Mission Mode

After a certain time period or optionally triggered event, your character will be sent to certain mission to test your hero’s capability and build your reputation in Wulin. These missions are fallible and they greatly affect the plot and which endings you will get.

The remake takes advantage of the new engine and added a day and night system to the timed mission.

For more in-depth information about the game, I have translated the original version into an LP a few years ago. The translation is mediocre and the early chapters are a little rough, but you can view it at the LP Archive.

I will add more info when I have time to translate more.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Apr 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

GENERAL QUESTIONS
Will there be an English version?
The dev has expressed interest in making it if there is “sufficient amount of demand” and can be “planned as next stage”. Many speculate this is their reason for going to steam Greenlight. To gauge interest of foreign gamers.

I have exchanged mails with the dev a few years ago regarding a similar topic that I believe is still too confidential talk about. But I can say that, if you wish to see this game in English, please post on the Greenlight thread and wherever you feel appropriate to ask for an English version.

What else is added to this remake version?
According to the Greenlight page,
1) Additional mechanics to world map mode with more freedom.
2) Much more NPC and each with its own emotion and personality.
3) More endings. The original game has 4.
4) Lots more hidden event that require special conditions to unlock.
5) More plots and stories.
6) Romanceable girls doubled to 10.

How well is the game selling now?
According to some news blog, the game sold like 10k on the first day of preorder. Things are looking good.

I would like to buy and support this game, when is it available?
The official Chinese site is: here
The official English site is: Not available yet, steam is still contacting them for their successful Greenlight.

The official release date is July 28, 2015.

Which edition of the game should I buy?
Standard Edition: 89 Yuan, which is about $15. It contains a bunch of stuff in addition to the game.
Luxury Edition: 298 Yuan, which is about $50. More stuffs and the signature of the creator if you buy it before June 10.

Merchandises and recommended spec listed here.

Edit: Luxury version pre-order has been halted due to Out of Stock!

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jun 20, 2015

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.
I'd play the hell out of this game. The campy bad kung fu movie translation every china game seems to have would only improve this one

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
this looks really cool. if they make an english translation i'll definitely give it a try.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
The sim and tactical parts look like completely different games. The art is pretty jarring. It looks awesome, though.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I loved your LP ages ago and would love to play it for myself.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
How difficult is the Chinese used in the game? I have 2 years of formal classes, and a few more of practicing with native speakers, so I might pick it up if it's written at a fairly low level.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

How difficult is the Chinese used in the game? I have 2 years of formal classes, and a few more of practicing with native speakers, so I might pick it up if it's written at a fairly low level.
If you can read about 80% of a Chinese newspaper, then you will be fine. There might be some tough place like a monk talking about actual Buddhism jargon that no regular players would suppose to understand and there's not a lot of Chinese proverb or idioms beside talking to the scholar NPC. I can help you with whatever you come upon in the game.

The game have traditional Chinese and simplified Chinese, make sure you get the one you know.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jun 6, 2015

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
OHHH MY GOD, PAGE 5 DIVING PAID OFF! I'm so exciteeeddd!!! Must get English version, or enslave Nyaa to making a translation guide o_o

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Here are the merchandises for each box edition:

Luxury Edition
- 'White Cloud' Luxury Box Set
- "Fēng Chuīxuě" Garage Kit (Uncolored) (High quality S136h steel mold import and made in Japan)
- Jiangwu Martial Art Premium Bamboo and Wooden Slips
- Leather Game World Map
- Xia Style Poster
- Game CD x2
- Golden Shiny CD Case
- Some Chinese game site card
- Magnet Poster of Eight Extra Meridians
- Stylized Wulin Chronicle
- Xia Style Bookmarker (Full set)
- Limited Character Buttons (X2)
- Shiny Collectable Card
- Music CD
- Quick Start Up Guide

Regular Edition
- "Black Gold" Box Set
- "Wèi míng & Xiān yīn" CD Case
- Q Style Wulin Chronicle
- Magnet Poster of Eight Extra Meridians
- Xia Style Bookmarker (Full set)
- Main Character Poster
- Game CD x2
- Music CD
- Quick Start Up Guide
- Some Chinese game site card

Minimum Spec:
System:Windows XP(32bit)/ Vista / Win 7 / Win 8(32/64-bit)

Cpu:Intel pentium(R)Dual-Core CPU E5200 2.50GH or Duel-core AMD equivalent

Ram:2 GB(or more)

Graphic Cards:NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT (512 mb) or similar AMD card

Hard Disk:30 GB

Recommended Spec:
System:Windows XP(32bit)/ Vista / Win 7 / Win 8(32/64-bit)

Cpu:Intel Core i5- 3330

Ram:2 GB(or more)

Graphic Cards:GeForce GTX650 (2GB)/ Radeon HD 7800 2GB,DirectX 9.0c

Hard Disk:30 GB

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jun 20, 2015

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Nyaa posted:

GENERAL QUESTIONS
Will there be an English version?
The dev has expressed interest in making it if there is “sufficient amount of demand” and can be “planned as next stage”. Many speculate this is their reason for going to steam Greenlight. To gauge interest of foreign gamers.

Having followed your original LP of this, I am super excited about this. I'm too late to vote for it on Greenlight, but I would definitely purchase it if there was an english version.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Game is now on sale for Chinese market. PSV and PS4 version coming next.

The following are the summarized translation for the recent question and answer session with the creator. Some irreverent questions are skipped.

Q: Will there be more Sim Raising mechanic in future products?
A: Absolutely, we really like the sim raising mode.

Q: What will be the next product? Remade of Three Kingdom? Heroes of Jin Yong?
A: It will be another Wuxia game. We will do our best to make the best Wuxia game.

Q: Is Drunken Fist/Staff still the strongest kung fu?
A: A lot of techniques has been uncovered by the game testers, and this kung fu is probably not the strongest anymore. This time, to achieve the full potential of a kung fu, it should matches your talent and the choices you made in sim mode.

Q: When is the Mac version coming out?
A: We will do our best to get it out as soon as possible. I am a Mac user after all.

Q: How much more of the World Map Travel mode has been expanded? If there's not a lot, will you add it in the expansion pack?
A: This is one of our goal, and will be the main focus of the expansion pack. Greatly increased world map mode's content and playability.

Q: When will the digital version come out?
A: Phoenix Game Studio will reveal that soon.

Q: I really like the Chinese culture presented in the game. What effect do you think the Chinese culture have in the game and how would the current and future work present them?
A: I wish for the player to be able to naturally experience the Chinese culture and the relation with Kung Fu while playing the game. Preferably a direct experience. I will be very happy if the player can naturally learn some cultural knowledge and develops interest for it.

Q: What is the ideal that Helio Studio is trying to uphold?
A: Players get to know about other countries' culture through foreign games, for example: Ninja from Japan, Warrior from Europe and America, Medieval fantasy element, etc. We hope to catch up to the quality of western games and let foreigner have the chance to play our game and Chinese culture. I hope Helio Studio will achieve this someday.

Q: Will the game be newbie friendly?
A: Tales of Wuxia is not a typical RPG where you have to grind until you can proceed the level. It is a game where there's no going back. Losing a battle will not end the game. Just like life. A first time player might see it as difficult due to the amount of freedom presented to him and lost in the variety of choices, but the true is, any choices is fine. Part of the fun is replaying it.

Q: How many heroines is in this remake? Can I get them all in one play through?
A: There's 12 in total. Some require a different path to romance. For example, one require becoming a Beggar. There should be more in the next expansion.

Q: I played the game twenty time. Can you make this one harder so I can play another twenty time?
A: This version is a bit harder, enjoy.

Q: Will there be more Luxury Edition?
A: Phoenix Game Studio should have some news about that, please follow the website.

Q: Will there be special 'feat' like previous game?
A: We added many times more of this feature. Physical feat have 9, techniques have over 50, team skill have 14, and some battle special event that might mess up your strategy.

Q: If I ignore all the heroine, will I get a cool traveler ending with my bro?
A: There's a talent that gives you benefit for the more male friend you have.

Q: Can we skip mini game?
A: Not possible currently. If there's demand, we can include it in the expansion, but most are pretty simple, so you might not want to skip it.

Q: Is there a equipment doll screen?
A: It's actually not hard to implement that, but we have to many thing to add this time. We will add it next time.

Q: Is there only three chi technique like last game?
A: There's 9 now, and your master will only teach you 2. Please explore Wulin for them, my fellow xia.

Q: What do you think of Jīngjí (Bramble Thorn in my LP), is he good or bad?
A: He's a good guy!

Q: Is there more events for the school brothers?
A: We added a lot.

Q: The chi technique in Heroes of Jin Yong game is just Chi stat + attribute, and not that useful in late game. Will there be a differences between Kung Fu and Chi technique?
A: Chi is now the heart of your battle strategy. We hope to see the players experience different combinations of Chi + Kung Fu + Talent to get pass each battle. It won't be easily breeze through with Drunken Staff like in the past.

Q: Is Yasha romancable?
A: Yasha is not the typical one that can be romance with just letter and gift.

Q: Many people would like to have some sort of management sim mechanic like opening our own Sect, is that possible?
A: I like management sim and will think about it in the expansion.

Q: Can we have a female protagonist in the expansion?
A: I don't have a good grasp of female character and I fear I might not able to produce her properly. Hopefully there's some better schematic to assist me with that.

Q: Will there be a remade of Heroes of Jin Yong in the foreseeable future?
A: A game like Heroes of Jin Yong will definitely happen.

Q: The fishing quest for the Catfish is killing me, do I have to do it again?
A: This time you can purchase it instead.

Q: Will you add a join-any-sect system in the future? Each with its own events and plot.
A: There's our long goal.

Q: Is there really a PSV version?
A: It's hard to say when it will be out.

Q: Palm and fist type kung fu was kinda useless in the previous version. How about now?
A: Early testing show disfavor by the testers, but after a few tweaking, it's become very popular. Fist and palm kung fu have low damage but have a higher amount of chain attacks. I recommend you choose the Barehanded Master talent.

Q: What will you score this game?
A: Honestly, there will never be a day where I will be satisfied. For a game with high degree of freedom, I try to put new ideas into them everyday, the new complexity of the game content for the players, and the large valley of contents that I want to present to the players. Thankfully, this is the digital age, and we can provide these contents to the players.

Q: Will there be a high freedom game like Elder Scroll?
A: That's the goal for the next game.

Q: Any boost to Item-type kung fu?
A: Choose talent from the Item Talent Tree.

Q: Can we save our Second School brother this time?
A: You need two certain stats at 100 to do it.

Q: How fast can the tester to clear the game?
A: The clear it once every two days, but that's usually the second replay. Not playing it carefully could lead you to the beggar ending.

Q: A lot of people are asking when the steam version will be out.
A: Phoenix Studio wish to have it up when the English Translation is completed.

:siren: ENGLISH VERSION SEMI-CONFIRMED! :siren:

Q: Why is Xiāng er so... Ugly?
A: It's drawn by a master, you shouldn't call it ugly.

Q: Would there be a lot of bugs?
A: Game of high degree of freedom will usually have a lot of unexpected bug. Hopefully everything goes well and we can process to DLC sooner.

Q: Is there any point to learn more than one Chi techniques?
A: The more the merrier as they contribute to your hp, and provide different strategies in battle.

Q: Do we still have one save slot that autosaves?
A: You now have 20 slots and 5 autosaves for the last 5 turns.

Q: What's your thought for game like The Sim? Any idea for house building and decoration?
A: I adore the house building mechanic, and wish to do that someday.

Q: Is there a path to join the Imperial Court?
A: There is indeed a path for this.

Q: Any differences for the previous minigames?
A: Herb Gathering now requires memorization.

Q: When is the PS4 version coming out?
A: After the PC version is stabilized, we will then work on consolizing it.

Q: You really didn't troll the players with Xiāng er?
A: I didn't, it really is drawn by a master.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 30, 2015

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Nyaa posted:

Q: A lot of people are asking when the steam version will be out.
A: Phoenix Studio wish to have it up when the English Translation is completed.

:siren: ENGLISH VERSION SEMI-CONFIRMED! :siren:

Come on, guys; I want to throw my money at you so hard!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Medicine God approves of this game, and this thread.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nyaa posted:

I would like to buy and support this game, when is it available?
The official Chinese site is: here

This site only allows you to pay through People's Republic of China banks or other China-specific payment systems. Is there any site where I can buy the game with a Visa / Mastercard / Paypal?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

JosephWongKS posted:

This site only allows you to pay through People's Republic of China banks or other China-specific payment systems. Is there any site where I can buy the game with a Visa / Mastercard / Paypal?
No idea, I would wait for Steam. If you manage to get it, beware their DRM need you to deactivate the license before upgrading to window 10 or do the first time activate after upgrade.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Phoenix Studio reveals a crowd translation project for everyone to help with translating the game into English. Currently it's just certain key word and terms of the game with the game script in the next stage.

http://wulin.fhyx.com/fanyi/

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Nyaa posted:

Phoenix Studio reveals a crowd translation project for everyone to help with translating the game into English. Currently it's just certain key word and terms of the game with the game script in the next stage.

http://wulin.fhyx.com/fanyi/

Well, that's an interesting way to get a translation done.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Wow this is a surprise. I remember wanting to play the hell out of this game after reading the excellent lp ages ago. If it gets a English translation I'll buy it day one.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Nemo2342 posted:

Well, that's an interesting way to get a translation done.
Yeah, they are really trying to get the translation done asap so they can put it up on steam. Pretty sure it's not due to budget since they are planning more DLC as we speak, and the translation audit process seem pretty strict.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Nyaa posted:

:siren: ENGLISH VERSION CONFIRMED :siren:

I will buy this loving game. It is the only game I know where alcohol is a skill.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Is there anywhere with information on how far the translation is? It's super hard looking up details on this game

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

DrManiac posted:

Is there anywhere with information on how far the translation is? It's super hard looking up details on this game
There's no indicator of the percentage of the translated content, but all new scripts are being translated very quickly and there's a guideline of how to translate everything.

Currently, the translations are sorted by six categories:

SIm Mode Conversation: Translating (6631), Verifying (892), Completed (4260)
World Map Conversation: Translating (13820), Verifying (54), Completed (2538)
Quest Journal(?): Translating (0), Verifying (5), Completed (91)
Quest Answer: Translating (289), Verifying (168), Completed (515)
Terminology: Translating (0), Verifying (1), Completed (2795)
Others: Translating (1180), Verifying (58), Completed (1437)

Note: They might add more scripts over time.

The translation looks pretty good to me.

In another news, the DLC is out. It adds more events and stuff to the base game.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Nov 13, 2015

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:siren: Translation Complete :siren:

The English version on Steam still need more time for testing and adjustment.

Leaked English Banner.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Nyaa posted:

Leaked English Banner.

Oh my god, this is hella exciting. I hope it is appropriately priced, any word on time.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

No words on date yet. They seem to be adjusting the English text on the UI and stuff.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Nyaa posted:

No words on date yet. They seem to be adjusting the English text on the UI and stuff.

Side note, do you have a link to your old thread?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Pladdicus posted:

Side note, do you have a link to your old thread?
Nope. It's on the LP archive though.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Nyaa posted:

Leaked English Banner.

drat it guys, hurry up and take my money!

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Cool, I was getting sad seeing this thread's last update at October.

[e] Is the dlc going to be translated too?

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Feb 22, 2016

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Oh hey, I was wondering if there was any news on this. And I'm even more supersized Nyaa is directly involved in it? Could you please set up at least a ball-park estimate for a potential release date so you can take my money?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

DrManiac posted:

[e] Is the dlc going to be translated too?
Not sure about that.

Crabtree posted:

And I'm even more supersized Nyaa is directly involved in it? Could you please set up at least a ball-park estimate for a potential release date
There have a website for anyone to register and help with the translation. I ran into some problems with the website so I didn't really helped much.

No idea for release date, i think the dev said within this year? I will have to check his blog later.

Edit: No estimate, sorry.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 23, 2016

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The English translation has been completed and will be released on Steam on 28 April 2016 - http://store.steampowered.com/app/377530/?snr=1_7_7_comingsoon_150_1

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Updated op.

I am too hype to know what to post

Thanks jw

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

:shittypop:

That's a pleasant surprise, can't wait to learn some drunk kung fu this weekend!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Good Job Nyaa and anyone involved in the game. Completely forgot this was a thing and am pleasantly surprised.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Did they give a specific GMT time or something? It's the 28th here in Malaysia, and since we share a time zone, I thought I might actually be on time to pick up a game on release.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

The steam store page says it's available in 19 hours and Steam doesn't handle timezones at all, once it hits the magic hour it's available for everybody.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

stoked. Thanks for letting me know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Finally have time to browse the Chinese site. Here are some English screenshots that I found.

• Locked thread