Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Eric the Mauve posted:

Rajas of India wouldn't be worthwhile if Paradox paid you :10bux: to install it.

Wrong. How else can you stack the best CB with the best religion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

chippocrates posted:

I'm guessing it's because (from what I've seen of LPs) Indian rulers don't differ from Catholic feudal rulers as much as muslims/republics/pagans do. India doesn't interact with the original game world that much in my experience - the only thing I've seen is Hinduism spread into the Steppes/Persia in an Old Gods Byzantine start where I smashed the Caliphate with holy wars (and therefore tanking Sunni MA).

Is like playing a lesser version of christianism with additional limitations (the caste system) shoehorned in. India games are always slow as gently caress and nothing interesting happens.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
The main attraction for Rajas of India for me was that it actually got my dumb white rear end to learn about ancient Indian empires, culture and religions. It's also pretty refreshing to get out of the rut playing the same Western and Eastern European countries entails, as the Near East tends to boast super-easy blobs (Abbasids, Seljuks) or hair-pullingly difficult minors. A lot of the flavor is pretty bland and poorly executed (tiger hunts, devoting yourself to a deity when your religious branch already makes you a Vishnu booster or whatever), but I liked the bonuses the different religions give you as they fit different playstyles (Hinduism = Genghis Hitler, Jainism = holding onto many vassals, etc.).

Also: Buddhist Mongols. Hang a louie as Genghis Khan and convert to Buddhism. And it's not even that ahistorical.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Parkingtigers posted:

Had been planning to not get Way of Life as heard a lot about seduction being way overpowered.

Recently nerfed. Although it was never so much OP as it was a complete clusterfuck. Anyone who picked Seduction focus ended up with dozens of bastard children and a wife who had like a -2000 opinion modifier.

I mean, you could get a lot of mileage out of it if you were stuck in Gavelkind by marrying an infertile woman and then just loving your way across half of Europe and then holding Bastard Thunderdome and legitimizing whichever one turned out best but that actually required a significant amount of effort to do properly.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Panama Red posted:

Also: Buddhist Mongols. Hang a louie as Genghis Khan and convert to Buddhism. And it's not even that ahistorical.

Convert to Jain. Have a feast where you decimate all the wildlife and retain the best CB in the game. :kheldragar:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I think Karen is a good jumping off point to learning how to play CK2 like a total rear end in a top hat. You do have some event troops to help you but events quickly spiral into you getting smashed to poo poo by a holy war or three unless you immediately start exploiting things as much as you can. After you take over your weaker neighbors by whatever means, you then have to fight against the Abbasid blob mostly single handedly. And after that you get mid-game-muslim antics where you're fighting crusades and hoping the mongol hordes go north, without the benefit of actually being muslim.

They're not that hard compared to more suicidal starts or earlier Zoro starts, but its a different sort of lifestyle when the harshest you've done is norse babytown frolics.

To be completely honest, the Karens are only worth playing if you have a real perverse desire to prove what hot poo poo you are at the game. Rajas expanded Persia considerably, so whereas before you could squeak out a win against the Saffarids if you bribed & chancellored them for long enough to beat up the Samanids and take their poo poo, right now you're basically never going to be able to go toe-to-toe against Persia with just Khiva. Your other avenue of expansion is Turkestan, which sucks. You're reliant on getting really really lucky, and you might not know you're completely hosed until like an hour into the game.

Just start as Yaqub Saffarid, occupy the Zoroastrian province in Fars before you peace out of you initial conquest war, move your capital to it, and convert.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

paranoid randroid posted:

Just start as Yaqub Saffarid, occupy the Zoroastrian province in Fars before you peace out of you initial conquest war, move your capital to it, and convert.

Yet another thing you need Rajas of India for.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

Is like playing a lesser version of christianism with additional limitations (the caste system) shoehorned in. India games are always slow as gently caress and nothing interesting happens.

I had a blast playing in India as ratha para something something. The topish left one that's big (at work, can't google). But it was awesome because I conquered just a little of India to get about half of it. Then I went west and smashed the Muslims into ruin. My crowning accievement was Hindu Jerusalem and Mecca.

VVVV I had five minutes left on my break. That was more a long story short dealie.

Bel Monte fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 13, 2015

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
You can't google but you can post on SA? :confused:

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

paranoid randroid posted:

To be completely honest, the Karens are only worth playing if you have a real perverse desire to prove what hot poo poo you are at the game. Rajas expanded Persia considerably, so whereas before you could squeak out a win against the Saffarids if you bribed & chancellored them for long enough to beat up the Samanids and take their poo poo, right now you're basically never going to be able to go toe-to-toe against Persia with just Khiva. Your other avenue of expansion is Turkestan, which sucks. You're reliant on getting really really lucky, and you might not know you're completely hosed until like an hour into the game.

The Karens are fairly doable if you declare holy war on the Tahirids for Khorasan on Day 1 and occupy those provinces before the Saffarids do. Attacking the Tahirids while they're at war with the Saffarids is basically like attacking the Saffarids with no risk of actually fighting them– you deny them the resources from the Khorasan holdings that they would otherwise use against you later. The Samanids will either join the war defensively or not pretty early on, which allows you to know when to fold your game early on. If you succeed, you increase Zoroastrian Moral Authority and can use your new conquered provinces to build a power base from which to smash the Samanids and then the Saffarids.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Anyone know what causes the bug where you suddenly switch attacker/defender positions? Found myself suddenly attacking a mountain province where I'd been defending, and it happened right in the middle of the battle (it wasn't one of those situations where two hostile armies are attacking each other and you move yours in, then somehow get the defender position when their battle concludes). I ended up losing what should've been an absolutely crushing victory.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Edison was a dick posted:

Convert to Jain. Have a feast where you decimate all the wildlife and retain the best CB in the game. :kheldragar:

Can confirm that Jain Mongols is in fact the most insanely powerful thing in the game.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Shadeoses posted:

My friend have you heard of tomb kings

Tell me more!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

Can confirm that Jain Mongols is in fact the most insanely powerful thing in the game.

I've heard this a lot, can somebody explain it?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Mongols have a special CB that's very good. Jains get insane bonuses that make their realms very stable but they also lose access to a lot of CBs. Mongol Jains still get the special CB.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

As a Jain you get the massive bonus to vassal relations, but you lose a bunch of CBs. However! As a Mongol you get an awesomely powerful CB that you don't lose when you convert to Jainism, so you can do some massive conquering and keep a very stable realm.

Edit: ^^ You son of a bitch.

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007

cock hero flux posted:

Mongols have a special CB that's very good. Jains get insane bonuses that make their realms very stable but they also lose access to a lot of CBs. Mongol Jains still get the special CB.

Makes me think that it will get nerfed in the next DLC...

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Jain Mongols conquering the world and having huge hunts is also funny because Jainism is a religion of pacifist vegetarians who are so anti-violence that they don't even kill insects and root vegetables.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Moon Slayer posted:

What's a fun/interesting non-Catholic, non-Norse start? I've played 1066 Ireland to death and the Norse seem really OP.

Charlemagne Morocco allows you to play a tribal without the tedious parts. You also have room to expand while still having to manage a large threat from the Umayyads. Old Gods Morocco is also good, because you're Shia and Sayyid, so you can form a caliphate and still be a tribal if you want.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Moon Slayer posted:

What's a fun/interesting non-Catholic, non-Norse start? I've played 1066 Ireland to death and the Norse seem really OP.

Try the Khazar Khanate. You start with a pretty big area, a decent amount of money and since you're tribal you can expand pretty easily and can choose to become either feudal or a republic. Your biggest challenge is that you are Jewish but very little of the area you control is and you have some rather unruly christian Alan vassals. You are also surrounded by other tribal Turkic states but all of them are Tengri and can easily conquer you.

Hard as balls but if you get the ball rolling you can do pretty well.

If that is too easy for you can always start as Semien. A tiny little Jewish petty kingdom in the middle of Ethiopia with Christians on all sides. You can, with a lot of luck, manage to take over enough land to form a kingdom but if you want an empire you'll have to take over all of Egypt which is basically suicide.

The Magyars are also a fun start. You start out at war with Bulgaria with a bunch of free event troops at your disposal. The amount of troops you start with has been drastically nerfed since the Old Gods came out but it should still be enough for you to take over most of or even all of Bulgaria without too much trouble. I think you still get some extra event troops when you form Hungary but I suspect it's no longer enough men for you to conquer most of the world with. If you want to be historically accurate you can convert to Catholicism but there's nothing stopping you from converting to any of the other organized religions or even trying to reform Tengri. Your king at the start is pretty old and wont last long and his son is a bit poo poo but at least you start with an adult heir.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jun 13, 2015

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
1066 Khazar led to a v good LP that is still running. Check it out

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Is there a way to give a county to someone outside your realm? I'm doing a Charlemagne playthrough just for the hell of it and to form the HRE I need the Pope to have 100 opinion of me but that's not gonna happen for as long as I hold Orvieto.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Is there a way to give a county to someone outside your realm? I'm doing a Charlemagne playthrough just for the hell of it and to form the HRE I need the Pope to have 100 opinion of me but that's not gonna happen for as long as I hold Orvieto.

Give the county to some random schmuck, then grant him independence.

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Antipope

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

The assassins have developed time machines. :ohdear:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

cock hero flux posted:

So how do you start as a Mongol Jain?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

You start as good ol' grandpa Temujiin of the Mongol empire in 1220. You are Tengri and at war with Persia and everything you occupy will become yours even if it's outside of de jure Persia. Focus on the provinces that border India. After you take a bunch of those Hindus and Jains should start sending people to convert you. If you don't have the patience for that just raid Jain states until you can take a Jain concubine.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 13, 2015

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

The Shortest Path posted:

So how do you start as a Mongol Jain?

You don't but it doesn't take that long to convert to Jain as a Mongol, since you start out close to where they are and Indian religions can convert between each other easily.

edit: or you can ruler design one whatever

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Deific Presence posted:

Makes me think that it will get nerfed in the next DLC...

Actually I think I accidentally buffed them (if you have your capital in India)

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I can't wait to see what I can do with no poo poo horde culture available in 769. :allears:

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
Well, my dynasty came to an end after some duke plotted to kill 3 successive generations of my family. My last guy survived 4 assassination attempts, was abducted once but he let me ransom myself, the motherfucker, before being finally killed the next day. I would have gone into hiding, but for whatever reason it wasn't available. The guy didn't have claims on my titles or even dislike me.

RonJeremysBalzac fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 13, 2015

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Was your duke's name Yurovsky?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Edison was a dick posted:

There was going to be an achievement called 'Jainghis Khan' where you had to attempt a WC as a Jain ruler, it was never implemented though.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

verbal enema posted:

1066 Khazar led to a v good LP that is still running. Check it out

Link?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

1066, one of the Muslim counties or duchies in Sicily. Conquer Italy!! Also: Try to avoid getting your face pushed in by the Crusaders!

I gave this a try and did indeed get my face pushed in pretty quickly by a Crusade, even after using the Ruler Designer Unlocked mod to make an ubermensch warlord. Pretty fun up to that point, though! Also my Crusade strategy was to make a beeline for Rome for poetic justice.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Shadeoses posted:

You think there should be some more fragmentation in the Empire to start with, then?

I don't even feel comfortable giving that kind of feedback at this point. I haven't played the GoT mod since maybe 4 months after its launch.

So my advice would be based on a pretty drat old version of that mod; however, in principle, sure. The problem is, even though it's a "fantasy" mod, you need to stick pretty close to GRRMs well established lore.

Meaning, I think, unless you do some Old Republic poo poo, you're stuck with relatively large kingdoms.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 13, 2015

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3622095

oh poo poo i was wrong they started in 867 drat. Great LP though.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
My number 1 cause of reloading: accidentally moving my army away from a 90% done siege.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

ZombieLenin posted:

I don't even feel comfortable giving that kind of feedback at this point. I haven't played the GoT mod since maybe 4 months after its launch.

So my advice would be based on a pretty drat old version of that mod; however, in principle, sure. The problem is, even though it's a "fantasy" mod, you need to stick pretty close to GRRMs well established lore.

Meaning, I think, unless you do some Old Republic poo poo, you're stuck with relatively large kingdoms.

Oh, I meant in Geheimnisnacht with the various pseudo-Emperors in the Empire. I tried to set it up so there was a mix of smaller and larger realms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

After 30 hours with CK2, I'm finally starting to feel comfortable with the basics, but there are a few things I still don't quite grasp.

1) What qualifications does a character need to meet to make a legitimate de jure claim on a county? Presumably, there's something simple that I'm completely overlooking, but I keep running into situations where I think I should be able to claim a nearby area, yet the CK2 UI disagrees and doesn't offer a great explanation of why I'm wrong.

2) Outside of the tutorial campaign, which ruler/starting date would you suggest those familiar (but not deeply experienced) with CK2 play to learn the mid- to endgame concepts? I'll worry about strategy later, but first I'd like to nail down all the core gameplay concepts.

3) Do Steam achievements work for any of you? Since the functionality was introduced, I've never been able to unlock any of them, despite repeatedly meeting their stated requirements, owning all the DLC and automatically downloading each patch issued by Paradox.

Edit: 4) Is the Game of Thrones mod worthwhile? It seems feature-rich, but how much of that is minor alterations to existing concepts versus genuinely novel additions?

• Locked thread