Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Fat Samurai posted:

How often should I go searching for a Smith? Are the diferent tiers of equipment depending on count/duke/king/emperor rank, prestige or what?

It's by rank. Counts and dukes always get tier one stuff, kings can go to tier two, and emperors can go up to the tier three stuff. Also sometimes you'll get an event that creates a tier four whatever item (but I'm not sure what triggers that particular event).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sargeant Biffalot
Nov 24, 2006

Asproigerosis posted:

Can someone explain to me what I'm missing about forming your own mercenary company? It just seems like a penalty to your entire demesne that loses more money that it generates.

If your heir is running them when you die they get to keep all the money the company built up. You can build up a fairly substantial warchest if you use mostly heavy cav and undercut the hiring fee of the game generated companies. But you have to be small enough that you can do that - a king will automatically generate a 150 gold or more company that won't get hired enough to make money- and you have to micromanage the leader so they don't get enough prestige to rebel, which means only swapping your heir in at the end, so it's a bit situational

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I've never found it worth it to have your own mercenary company.

With one exception: It's a feature introduced when Horse Lords was released, and it's still worthwhile for a nomad heir to start his own mercenary company to amass prestige and hopefully get the adventurer trait.

Anything else is just something you might do for fun if you're bored, but it's drawbacks are very much outweighing it's advantages.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
You'd think it'd be more useful for a Republic, who are all about Retinue and the like, yet it never works out that way.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fat Samurai posted:

How often should I go searching for a Smith? Are the diferent tiers of equipment depending on count/duke/king/emperor rank, prestige or what?

there are different tiers based on duke/king/emperor rank, so whenever you rank up is a good time to smith again once you have the whole set of weapon/armor/crown

catlord posted:

I should probably play some more AtE. Last time I played I couldn't figure it out, playing as a Sagrado Corazon character, is there a way to change your saint? Because it seems to be passed down and I got a Santa Muerte character, but I super wanted to be a dynasty of Luchadores.

i dont think you can, if they used the same code for the cetic paths then once you're assigned on at adulthood then that's it outside of rare and uncontrollable events. i think your only option is console fuckery

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Oct 18, 2018

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Fat Samurai posted:

Counts and Dukes are hard-capped at Tier 1 smithed goods, Kings at Tier 2. Whatever is smithed for you at those ranks is the best you can get. If you're an Emperor you get an option to request Tier 3 stuff, with a small percentage chance of an event popping up partway through of your smith requesting additional money/supplies/etc, which if agreed to gives you a shot at potentially getting Tier 4 goods. You'll know if you got T4 armor and weapons because you'll be asked to pick between three names for the completed piece. These names are just fluff and don't change the final stats, so just pick whichever you like the best.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Sydin posted:

Counts and Dukes are hard-capped at Tier 1 smithed goods, Kings at Tier 2. Whatever is smithed for you at those ranks is the best you can get. If you're an Emperor you get an option to request Tier 3 stuff, with a small percentage chance of an event popping up partway through of your smith requesting additional money/supplies/etc, which if agreed to gives you a shot at potentially getting Tier 4 goods. You'll know if you got T4 armor and weapons because you'll be asked to pick between three names for the completed piece. These names are just fluff and don't change the final stats, so just pick whichever you like the best.

This is mostly true: any rank can get the "I can make this fancier than you asked if you give me some more money" event, it just bumps it up one tier higher than what you initially ordered. Also, both Tier 3 and 4 weapons/armor have the "pick the fancy name" popup, but the Tier 4 stuff has correspondingly fancier names. Heartseeker to Dragonseeker, Vengeance to Heaven's Vengeance, etc.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
How crushing. Survive the plague thanks to my physician but then lose the chess game to death immediately after. Plague killed my kids and my closest relatives were not of my dynasty. I thought succession cycled through your entire dynasty before going to non bloodline relatives, but I was clearly mistaken.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sydin posted:

Are we thinking of something different here? The various pieces have massively different stats.

druthers
Oct 12, 2012
I think Sydin means that while tier 4 stuff is different to tier 3 and swords have different stats than axes/lances/etc., a tier 4 sword is a tier 4 sword irrespective of what its called.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Asproigerosis posted:

How crushing. Survive the plague thanks to my physician but then lose the chess game to death immediately after. Plague killed my kids and my closest relatives were not of my dynasty. I thought succession cycled through your entire dynasty before going to non bloodline relatives, but I was clearly mistaken.

It depends on your succession laws. Some flavors of succession, such as seniority or tanistry, are pretty much guaranteed to keep it in your dynasty. I don't think the ones that target your children have any particular preference for your dynasty, though, beyond the fact that they prefer males (who are much more likely to be dynasty members).

Under primogeniture, if you have no eligible children, it'll go up a generation and target your father's children (i.e., your siblings). If you don't have any living brothers left, and you have agnatic-cognatic succession, then it'll start looking at your sisters and their children. If they're in non-matrilineal marriages, then you're screwed at that point.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

New dev diary talking about changes to Papal interactions.

Seems like some very nice changes!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

druthers posted:

I think Sydin means that while tier 4 stuff is different to tier 3 and swords have different stats than axes/lances/etc., a tier 4 sword is a tier 4 sword irrespective of what its called.

Yeah this is what I meant. I also completely forgot Tier 3 stuff also gets names. :downs:

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Reading this news article today and thinking, haven't we all felt like King Salman from time to time.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
I just found glitterhoof running a republic in south america a minute ago. That's not the weird part. The weird part is his heir is a horse, and does not have the horse trait. I've just invited him to my court. What should I do next? My ruler's already immortal so the game's gone completely off the rails anyways.

EDIT: Just made it better

DISCO KING fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 19, 2018

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Cyflan posted:

New dev diary talking about changes to Papal interactions.

Seems like some very nice changes!

quote:

Having a vassal Pope no longer ensures that all your demands will be automatically accepted, and having an independent Pope will not make it near-impossible to get a favor from him.

quote:

The Request Claim interaction has been given a special new interface as well to make it more intuitive and accessible to players. Rather than having to search directly for the title that you wish to gain a claim on, you can use the new button in the religious view to get a list of potential Catholic rulers owning titles for which the Pope is willing to grant you a claim on. By clicking on any of them, you will be shown a second window showing the list of all titles owned by the target ruler and from there you can select the one that you are interested in.

Hell yeah

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

DISCO KING posted:

I just found glitterhoof running a republic in south america a minute ago. That's not the weird part. The weird part is his heir is a horse, and does not have the horse trait. I've just invited him to my court. What should I do next? My ruler's already immortal so the game's gone completely off the rails anyways.

It seems like the previous owner of that title was a lunatic who spawned a Glitterhoof, who then was elected. When Glitterhoof becomes landed, the game will spawn Horse courtiers the same way it spawns courtiers for any ruler, and the game treats Horse as a culture like any other, with a portrait set and name list. As far as the game is considered, Horse characters without the Horse trait behave like any other character, so you can do whatever you want, create an all-horse vassal kingdom, breed them into your dynasty and play as a horse down the line, try to get one elected pope, the sky's the limit.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I finished a CK2 game for the first time! :woop:

Map

Culture

Religion

Dynasty

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Just_normal_Byzantine_things.img

A hard time for Islam, hmm?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Anglo Saxon Egypt with Hwicce dynasty? Sounds about right.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Just_normal_Byzantine_things.img

A hard time for Islam, hmm?

Now that's what I call a Reconquista - except this time with the right type of Christianity

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Various Meat Products posted:

It seems like the previous owner of that title was a lunatic who spawned a Glitterhoof, who then was elected. When Glitterhoof becomes landed, the game will spawn Horse courtiers the same way it spawns courtiers for any ruler, and the game treats Horse as a culture like any other, with a portrait set and name list. As far as the game is considered, Horse characters without the Horse trait behave like any other character, so you can do whatever you want, create an all-horse vassal kingdom, breed them into your dynasty and play as a horse down the line, try to get one elected pope, the sky's the limit.

Yep, landing Glitterhoof (or Mittens) as a merchant republic is the way to go to get lots animal cultured characters out there.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

binge crotching posted:

Yep, landing Glitterhoof (or Mittens) as a merchant republic is the way to go to get lots animal cultured characters out there.

I've never once had a cat courtier. Bums me out. Especially considering that this is how I see the game half the time:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Crow Jane posted:

I've never once had a cat courtier. Bums me out. Especially considering that this is how I see the game half the time:

The cat courtier was in your house all along.

Are there enough animal cultures now that you could make a Merchant Republic where each house was a different species?

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord
Germany what are you doing over in Tibet

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Are there enough animal cultures now that you could make a Merchant Republic where each house was a different species?

Only 3 of them right now, so not enough yet. I've still never seen bears, so I'll probably need to just console the starting event in some time to see how secret bears work out.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Torrannor posted:

I've never found it worth it to have your own mercenary company.

With one exception: It's a feature introduced when Horse Lords was released, and it's still worthwhile for a nomad heir to start his own mercenary company to amass prestige and hopefully get the adventurer trait.

Anything else is just something you might do for fun if you're bored, but it's drawbacks are very much outweighing it's advantages.

It answers the question "Could a king make a mercenary company so big that even he couldn't hire it?"

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Zyxyz posted:

Germany what are you doing over in Tibet

Won a crusade against Ustang or however it's spelled

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Not quite but if you count werewolves and normal humans as species it's close enough. Someone needs to do an lp with this concept.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
Is there anything one can or has to do to encourage cats to appear?

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Oh dear me posted:

It's random. If your realm gets diseased, and the peasants blame cats, I think there's a path to adopting one through that chain of events, too.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Oh dear me posted:

Leave a saucer of milk out

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Man, had my shortest game of CK2 ever today.

As the Sheikh of Cadiz, default start:

Year 1: Went on Hajj
Year 2: Got married and got an heir
Year 3: My only county became a heretic stronghold and 7,000 heretics spawned on it, sieged it down, and kicked me to the curb

Noice.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
Probably a frequently asked question. But why what the hell is the difference of iconoclast and orthodoxy? Seems to the the exact same. I’m also a complete retard and could be reading over the difference right in front of my face.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Probably a frequently asked question. But why what the hell is the difference of iconoclast and orthodoxy? Seems to the the exact same. I’m also a complete retard and could be reading over the difference right in front of my face.

It is exactly identical, but is treated as a different religion for the purposes of recreating the religious tension in the Byzantine Empire.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Iconoclasts, if I understand correctly had a similar view on art as Muslims. Basically, depictions of holy figures was blasphemous.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

In reality: Iconoclasm was a series of religious movements in the 8th and 9th centuries within the Byzantine Empire where the church and state cracked down on religious iconography, based on a literal interpretation of the Ten Commandments. Think the traditional Muslim view of art. Anything religious iconography, beyond simple displays of the cross, was considered heretical.

In CK2: Iconoclasm is a heresy of Orthodox Christianity, but really has no special mechanics to differentiate it. It only exists because the Byzantine Emperor in the 769 start in CK2 is Iconoclast to emulate the Empire at the time being at the height of the first Iconoclast period.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Orthodox churches loving love their iconography, it's what makes the Iconoclasts heretics. They don't appreciate pictures of Jesus, leaning heavily on the "no graven image" tenets.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There should be a money bonus from looting expensive destroyed icons. Hell, with how Holy Fury is going, I wouldn't be surprised if there were Icon treasures you could smash for iconoclast piety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sydin posted:

In reality: Iconoclasm was a series of religious movements in the 8th and 9th centuries within the Byzantine Empire where the church and state cracked down on religious iconography, based on a literal interpretation of the Ten Commandments. Think the traditional Muslim view of art. Anything religious iconography, beyond simple displays of the cross, was considered heretical.

In CK2: Iconoclasm is a heresy of Orthodox Christianity, but really has no special mechanics to differentiate it. It only exists because the Byzantine Emperor in the 769 start in CK2 is Iconoclast to emulate the Empire at the time being at the height of the first Iconoclast period.

I think the one thing that Iconoclasts get that's different from Orthodoxy is an opinion bonus with Muslims. Because of that whole shared "religions icons are sinful" belief.

• Locked thread