Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Torrannor posted:

This has been a feature for at least a year now, and people are still unaware. It's kind of hidden :(

I immediately understood that you could do it, but sometimes the search feature doesn't work at all for whatever reason until I restart the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

I am the Shia Caliph, destroying the Abbasids from within. One night, their main man decided to try to mend the other great schism. :stare:

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

spectralent posted:

...Huuuuuh. I literally can't do the crusades, yet, they haven't been unlocked for the Christians. So, are they just always useless until that happens?

You can declare a regular holy war if you or someone else reforms the Germanic faith.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Is there a reliable way to steal something out of someone else's treasury? Some rear end in a top hat in tribal Ireland somehow got Jesus's shirt from the Pope, and I kind of want it. Like, I'm thinking about putting my plans in central Europe on the back-burner to create Ireland, vassalize him, and mow through his line of succession until I inherit all his stuff, but I don't know if that last part works like that.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Kainser posted:

Loot his holding.

I was looking for something more reliable than that. :v: I guess I can convert to Norse culture and burn down his stupid huts until the game ends.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

No Pants posted:

I was looking for something more reliable than that. :v: I guess I can convert to Norse culture and burn down his stupid huts until the game ends.

All right, it's looking like my original plan is working. I got lucky, and someone else unseated the guy with the artifact, so I invited him to my court and landed him. I murdered him and his benighted heirs until I got one I could marry, and it's now sitting in my wife's treasury. Hopefully it doesn't get lost when she croaks so our son can do Jesus cosplay.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

I've been seeing lords in my realm decide to not get married, too. If I try to set them up, they only want advantageous marriages, which is an odd thing to insist on when you're a random wali in a polygamous society.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Any hints on how to turn Shiite as a Sunni? I haven't really tried it out before; I've betrothed my heir to a Shiite girl but should I have him raised by my neighbour maybe?

Yeah, a child raised with Religion or Heritage focus usually ends up with the guardian's religion. Guardian traits like Zealous, Diligent, and Gregarious help.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

You or a vassal chief can convert the tribe to a set of feudal holdings as soon as you start building the stone hillfort. It's really not that bad.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Karl Sharks posted:

Random question, is there any way (mod or otherwise) to allowing looting of artifacts? Or killing/stealing them? One of my vassals has Mjolnir and I want it damnit.

You'll rarely loot a random artifact a guy owns when you siege a holding down. I'm not sure if they even have to have the holding as part of their demesne. Anyway, getting a specific artifact that way is probably not going to happen even if you save/reload a lot. The most reliable way to get it into your treasury is to inherit it, and even then, it's not a 100% sure thing.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Soup du Journey posted:

can there even be non-player immortals? [...]

If you're an immortal, you can get an event where an immortal challenger appears. Some of the routes have them sticking around afterward.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Holy poo poo, I hosed myself over hard. I was a random duke in a Europe where Charlie hosed up, and I narrowly avoided being elected king of West Francia because I didn't want to deal with that mess. East Francia elected me their king, so now I have that mess, a king title, a single county, and no claim to my old home. :downsgun:

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

Do magnum opusus disappear after a few generations? I had one of my early guys make one and it was still there on succession but I eventually noticed that it disappeared somewhere down the line. I didn't have the event where your necronomican and magnum opus gets stolen either, that I think someone mentioned happened to them.

I think the only requirement it had was to be in the Hermetic Society, which I am.

You can lose stuff of any type upon succession, I think. It's kind of a downer, and you don't even get a notification when it happens.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Sultan Tarquin posted:

How come my de-jure drift is ticking down? Is it because the HRE declared war on me and claimed a single county in the duchy of Flanders?

Maybe? You have to control the whole duchy for it to drift into your kingdom.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

FreudianSlippers posted:

Motherfuckers are leaving Korans and Hindu scripture in my palace basically every week like I'm so impressionable that I'd convert just from reading a book.

I wish that if you had certain traits or high intrigue and or diplomacy you could use it to possibly get the exposed apostates to reveal a bunch of their fellow cultists. Burning them one at a time isn't very effective.

Yeah, the secret religion societies are way too effective in the AI's hands. In my current game, the HRE turned Germanic (which is extremely annoying), and the ERE went Cathar. I just won a Crusade for Greece, and while looking for lowborn dudes to turn into counts, every single one of them who wasn't zealous had sympathy for Paganism. I switched my chaplain to inquisition mode to see if that would help, and he cannot keep up with all these goddamn apostates.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Jiru posted:

Doublepost, but this. I marry my daughter over for an alliance, next generation I keep getting spammed with messages to marry her sons to mine. And if I say yes, next generation will be the same. You already have inbred kids, you moron. Wonder why?

Yup, this is why I only keep one dynasty-led duchy as a backup when I'm playing Christians. Otherwise, we become so prestigious (I guess?) that my AI family members only marry each other, and then I have a bunch of angry, inbred super-dukes and spinster duchesses who want all my poo poo.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Gone Fashing posted:

having a demon daughter that kills or incapacitates all 4 of my sons is stupid. what can I do besides imprisoning her

She'll escape from prison, so you have to imprison and execute her if you really want her gone. The good (?) news is that the events that kill her brothers stop when she reaches adulthood.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

basic hitler posted:

I really enjoy the early middle age british isles. Lots of small petty kingdoms, relatively isolated, and it's a long time before france wants to play. Plenty of time to play as an insignificant pawn and rise to maybe form england or scotland, and things like that. It's really fun.

But I've had CK2 a long time, and spent a lot on DLCs i've barely used.

Any suggestions for where I should play, for something similar but different? Or am i more or less stuck with the british isles for that king of thing?

If you want to try an Islamic ruler, a duke in the Arabian Peninsula in the Early Middle Ages is kind of like that. It's pretty easy to snowball by gobbling up your weak neighbors for piety, you have no external threats for a very long time, and the kingdom title is waiting to be created.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

I started my usual Hashimid 769 run to try things out, and holy moly it's downright easy after you've rid yourself of your vassal sitting on Mecca. Hijaz has six counties, Mecca has a Silk Road post, and you can ship your rear end in a top hat male relatives to China to live out their days without balls.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Here's the government tooltip:

You also get +10 vassals. Your vassals will still be feudal/iqta/etc. though.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Wow, they weren't kidding when they said they made the Pope more likely to hand out Excommunications. Not only have I actually been able to use it a few times, but I just got excommunicated myself, without even being a satanist or anything! It's nice to finally see that as a part of the game again.

I had a Pope repeatedly excommunicate my dude (and reverse it on demand because he liked me) until the lady who hated me ran out of piety. Kind of makes me wonder what some random duchess had on the Pope.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

genericnick posted:

I want to do a Zunist Norse run without using the ruler designer. Any ideas? My initial plan was to start as sweden and then viking invade somewhere in the middle east once the events pops but by the time I got around to the invasion part the Zunists were gone.

I'm pretty sure you can start as a Zunist and wait for the Byzantine emperor to form the Varangian Guard.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Roland Jones posted:

Speaking of religious artifacts, how do you get them? I've seen them randomly in starting inventories sometimes (like some Irish count I was planning on invading having the Zoroastrian banner somehow), but have no idea how to get them myself.

Join a Christian society, and you’ll probably get an event where they show off a tier 4 relic. You’ll have the option to try to steal it. As a bonus, if you have a gay lover in the society, you’ll probably get away with it.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

DisgracelandUSA posted:

I think that may be because you're below your max clan limit? I believe if you check the war terms, you can surrender and you lose a territory and the revolt leader becomes the Khan of a new clan. But also fwiw the minor revolts were all really easy to put down assuming I had troop superiority by a few thousand.

You can go over your clan limit with minor clan revolts. I even got 10/9 clans when I was trying to game the system with nine one-county clans.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

On the other hand, I tried out the thing where you invite a bunch of courtiers sitting on cash so they get culled, and you inherit their money, but it backfired so I had a court of 150 random jerks who wouldn't die of poor health.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

You can look at the religions in the fourth page of the ledger. The Pope just does normal unlanded head-of-religion stuff if he gets kicked out of Rome. I always made sure he was landed somewhere when I tried doing infidel or heretic things in western Europe so that I could quickly end the inevitable Crusades. Crusades are annoying enough in Italy that when I did a Fraticelli Emperor of Italia run, I briefly converted to Catholicism, gave him a temple in my demesne, and vassalized him so he'd look elsewhere for targets.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

winterwerefox posted:

How does a prepared invasion work as say a viking? Ive played as vikings for most of my time owning this game, and never seen the CB. That might have to do with being huge by the time i think of leaving beyond Scandinavia. Am I just too big?

Your realm size has to be below 50 (it's a number at the top right). The CB appears for two years after you've actually decided to prepare the invasion.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Nah, it only affects duchies going into kingdoms and kingdoms going into empires. That's why power gamers make a big deal out of duchies that have six counties.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oh. I. Huh.

That makes sense even if it also makes no sense whatsoever because what's the point of sharing titles if the heir can just gather them back instantly. :psyduck:

You're only supposed to get a strong claim on your siblings' titles if they became independent. Are you sure the brother didn't do something that marked him as a traitor?

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Dongattack posted:

My vassal has a powerful artifact (Mjolnir), what are my options for obtaining it?

Edit: he's a chief, im emperor

With artifacts, there's a bunch of luck involved if they aren't indestructible.

Siege down his capital during a war or while raiding for the small chance of the loot event.

Kill him and his successors until you inherit as his liege, but you'll be fighting the 5% chance for it to get lost if it's unequipped plus the 50% chance for it to disappear when someone dies with no heirs.

Get a favor from him, kill his wife, unland him, use the favor to get him to join your court, kill him. I've only really had success with indestructible artifacts with this one, plus it's a lot of work.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Dongattack posted:

So my current game has De Jure drift on, which was a mistake. One of the Swedish De Jure duchies has drifted to my kingdom (Norway) and i want my viceroy queen of Sweden to have vassalage over that duchy to reduce border gore, but i can't find a way to do it. Is it not possible or am i missing something?

Not without the console. The best you can do is give them the duchy directly, I think.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Honky Dong Country posted:

Holy poo poo I just found an AI that made a vassal merchant republic. There was a crusade for Andalusia long ago and some Croatians won it. The new Andalusian King then created the duchy of Valencia and then granted it to a coastal mayor the next day. So now there's an AI-created Republic of Valencia.

I'm loving amazed. I've never seen the AI make a vassal merchant republic EVER. Has anybody ever seen the AI do this? Also I'm in ironman so I didn't pull any console fuckery here.

It happened in my last game. The AI has been accidentally creating republics and theocracies a lot lately.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Honky Dong Country posted:

Or just do the people search for Content members of your court that aren't already in line to inherit some dumb barony or something.

I saved a filter for finding dudes in my realm who are adults, landless, not in a great house, not married, not in prison, and of my culture and religion. I especially enjoy stealing my vassals' good councilors by giving them some land.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

If you destroy Scandinavia and control all of de jure Finland, it will drift into your custom empire. Likewise, if you destroy your custom empire and control all the counties in the kingdoms you used to create it, they will drift back into Scandinavia.

Crow Jane posted:

What kind of retinues, if any, does Bear culture have? I've got one in my court and only about a hundred years left, I'm thinking about appointing him court tutor and letting things get weird
Bear culture doesn't have any special retinues. The only special things about it are the portraits and the ability to eat prisoners.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Really? I mean, there's the mountain Ambush tactic, but is there like, religious combat bonuses? The retinue itself is crazy strong?

According to this, the Himalayan Mountaineers are great because of the stacking bonuses shoring up LI's weaknesses and the LC enabling harass and raid tactics.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Nobody Interesting posted:

Edit: I guess I misread it. The Samartian heresy became normal Jewiness, so as regular Jews we were the heretics. So I guess the question really is why don't I read the loving event boxes when they happen? But also how big of a deal is it that Samaritan has taken over?

I've never played a Jewish heresy, but looking at the wiki, it sounds like they can't reinstate the high priest of Israel, which also means they don't get great holy wars.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

fuf posted:

None of the muslim characters on this page have a 769 start:
https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Interesting_characters_guide#Muslim_characters
Is there an interesting Abbasid vassal I could play as starting in 769?

I've recommended it before, but Hasan Hashimid is the Shia ruler of Medina at that start date. The royal family of Jordan is descended from his in-game brother, but that side of the family usually dies as your courtiers without anyone noticing.

Mechanically, the duchy of Hijaz is good and in a great location for avoiding expansionist neighbors, and if you can gain direct control of most of your counties while keeping the Caliph happy and avoiding empowering the council, you can really snowball toward doing whatever you want.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The Hashimids are cool but it's also a very difficult start because the religious difference means the Abbasid Caliph will eventually try to revoke all your titles. Falsely converting is basically a requirement.

That's true. If you want to stay openly Shia, it's kind of like any other old-timey "hide inside the Abbasids" strat except a little easier because you aren't a heretic or infidel, and you usually have enough time to kiss up to him before he passes the religious revocation law. The first few years are really rough, though.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Major Isoor posted:

Alternatively, if the solution SS offered isn't :ese: enough, can't you get around the "cannot murder/abduct own children" restriction by spying on them with the intrigue focus? :v:
(I could be wrong, though; it's been a while since I've needed to do this)

EDIT: vvv Yeah, I was wondering about that as well. I've only played in the BE like, once though, so I've got no clue, myself.

The intrigue focus's murder event is probably too rare and unreliable to be a good option. It will give you a reason to arrest your child without tyranny, though, which might help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Maybe it is linked to intrigue, since I don't really prize that stat too much. I've just never had that event come up very often, and when it did, it never worked!

• Locked thread