Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Saith posted:

So basically, I was wondering if there are any guides on making a new religion? We've played together in the past, and pretty much all of us think that vikings are fun as hell, so I want to mod in a (totally ahistorical) Druidic religion using the raiding and prepared invasion mechanics. If anyone knows of any tutorials about this, that would be great since I can't for the life of me find any.

There's an existing mod for this. Ancient Religions Reborn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Baron Porkface posted:

Will it be possible to get the speed up effects in a different patch form the map expansion so it doesn't break saves?

You could probably copy the map data from before the patch and use it as a mod.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Rajas of India wouldn't be worthwhile if Paradox paid you :10bux: to install it.

Wrong. How else can you stack the best CB with the best religion.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Panama Red posted:

Also: Buddhist Mongols. Hang a louie as Genghis Khan and convert to Buddhism. And it's not even that ahistorical.

Convert to Jain. Have a feast where you decimate all the wildlife and retain the best CB in the game. :kheldragar:

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

paranoid randroid posted:

Just start as Yaqub Saffarid, occupy the Zoroastrian province in Fars before you peace out of you initial conquest war, move your capital to it, and convert.

Yet another thing you need Rajas of India for.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Clanpot Shake posted:

Can Danes sail up rivers, or is it only generic Norse?

It's based on the germanic religion not culture.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Is there any console way to end a war that you're not personally involved in? I've got a weird situation where Iceland would be totally down to become my vassal, but they're locked in a weird Faroe Islands Catholic Revolt that literally cannot ever end, because nobody has any boats. They're just sitting on various islands shaking their fists at each other for eternity.

Use the imprison command to make the leader of one side of the war a prisoner of the other.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Well, I now have motivation for playing a new Norse campaign.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Autonomous Monster posted:

If you're super salty about province borders, you could always try the Data Driven Map mod.

I don't think it changes anything but the province borders, and yes, it puts Pest on the Danube.

I'm a bit wary of map altering mods, since the Lux Invicta one turned Lahur, which used to be the best Duchy, into garbage territory.

Seriously, you get enough holdings in that one duchy to meet the territory requirement for a custom Kingdom.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

As an aside, is it possible to hold multiple empire titles? I control all of Italy and Sicily but it's not letting me create Italia. Is it because I appointed Exarchs? I'm also getting close to controlling enough to make the Arabian empire.

I think Italia may be one of those with a cultural requirement.
You can hold multiple Empires, but you probably don't want to if your goal is to remain big.
It only takes one bad succession for your realm to be split between the two Empires if you create them (or if you are on Elective Gavelkind succession).
Whereas if you only have one (pick your favourite) the Kingdoms of the other Empire will slowly de-jure drift (100 years) into yours, which means your Crown laws apply in those lands, you get Casus Beli to reclaim that land, and vassals are less likely to revolt against their de-jure liege than a de-facto liege.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

What's the best way of doing a Nestorian/Messalian run these days? (Without cheating, I usually play Ironman)

:shrug: Buy Rajas of India, start as the Abbasid Caliph and use the decision to convert to Religion of one of the counties in Norther Mesopotamia?

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Don't think you can force convert if you're the head of a major religion (afaik you can't even console convert the Sunni Caliph), but I guess I could give it a shot as Abyssinia or rush down there as the Byzantines.

You could also try a later start where the Emperor of Arabia isn't a Caliph.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Here's a tip. While you can send more than one son or brother off to be a mercenary. It doesn't mean you should.

When you inherit, your brother will continue to be a mercenary and continue to accumulate prestige, so almost certainly inherit in favour of your own sons.

This is a big problem if your brother's wife died, as he won't have any sons on inheritance, and your nephews aren't allowed to inherit.

The result is a desperate dash to have a son so that rather than having a game over, you just lose control of the Khaganate.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Look at the regions button. It's mostly tartaria, but also some of Russia.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Spiderfist Island posted:

I'll post a link to it here when I'm finished with my work– the Localization stuff is a bit of a pain to work with compared to EUIV, but the rest of CK2's code is easier to work with than I expected. I've already added Zurvanism as a new Zoroastrian heresy, but aside from a jokey "Darkness" religion I can't think of a good heresy for Manicheanism.

From my admittedly light reading, Manicheans believe that the material is evil and the spiritual is good, rather than the Zoroastrian belief that Darkness is evil and Light is good.
Perhaps a heresy that has the material as good would be appropriate.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Can Nomads legitimize bastards?
You might be able to have an heir of a different culture by inviting a woman of the right culture to court, seducing her, then Legitimizing the bastard, since:
  • Children born out of wedlock have the culture and religion of the mother.
  • Only sons and brothers can inherit Nomadic titles.
  • Legitimized bastards can inherit.

EDIT: Nope. It appears to be hard-coded that sons of a different culture are ineligible, so even if you do engineer a son of a different culture, he cannot be your heir, so even if he is the last son remaining, he cannot inherit, so you would have a game over.
All the code to prevent your heirs flipping culture is safeguards against accidentally giving yourself a game over.

Edison was a dick fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Aug 16, 2015

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

Has anyone seen this mod yet? :stare:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=505286584

It's called Harem Kings. I'll let the description speak for itself.

Some key quotes from that:

quote:

Recommendations:
Underhanded Tactics - Torture, rape and adultery - I support this mod to the bitter end!!!!!!!!!

quote:

Version 1.0 beta
Most updated version always found on loverslab.

This is someone's wank material fetish mod.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Rumda posted:

Wow such detective work a mod entirely devoted to massive scale polygamy, incest and rape is a fetish mod who'da thunk it
Just highlighting that while it's possible to handle Harems and Concubinage delicately because they were important in the middle ages, this is from someone who endorses a Rape fetish mod and hangs around on a website that makes rape, incest and bestiality mods.
There's no chance at all of it just being someone wanting to see how playable the reputed harems are.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

I've been playing about with a mod from the workshop called De-Jure Adjudication.
It adds title decisions that let you move around De-Jure lands by paying gold, piety, prestige, opinion and requires your religious head to like you.

It's fun to make the De-Jure borders pretty, but I've used it as a starting point for some more weird custom title modding.
I took a couple of screenshots of my latest game.
Odd De-Jure Kingdoms

Odd De-Jure Duchies

EDIT:
I've got a title decision that converts an Empire title into a Kingdom title, and one that turns Kingdoms under an Empire that was converted into Duchies.

I might have to abandon that though, as I'm told that if you change the De-Jure liege of a county, it is not saved.
That said, I've got decisions that let you turn those Duchies back into Kingdoms, and back into Duchies, so you could just toggle it with the decision.

Edison was a dick fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 10, 2015

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Gantolandon posted:

I'm thinking about giving CK2+ another try. Is it worth it?

I found some bits of the previous release, like the Byzantine Empire being replaced by the Latin Empire if ir is usurped by a Catholic and vassals going independent in civil wars annoying.
But the latest release fixed that so players don't trigger that, and earlier start dates being Calchedonian pre schism is fun.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So I forgot about the retinue nerf and I'm not sure how to really use them anymore. The last time I played, before the nerf, as the Byzantines I had a doom stack of Cataphracts that I used as my main army, only using levies to siege poo poo or for emergencies. It was easy and awesome. But now of course they cost money to maintain and they are half as large as they used to be. So are retinues still worth using or should I not bother with them?

They're basically for late game now, after you max military organisation and swap levies for tax income.

I should try making a mod to add demesne laws that give you a % bonus on retinue in exchange for a % reduction in levies for yourself and your vassals.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

Man the custom kingdom thing is so weird sometimes. I formed the Ibadi Caliphate and set it as my primary title, then it along with Saana and Oman formed the "Kingdom of the Ibadi Caiphate". Something about that feels off to me.

That's because of title prefix nonsense. Rather than having some way to say that the suffix of a title determines its rank, Paradox have a way to say it's a "short_title" so shouldn't have a title prefix, and put the rank that should be the suffix in the title.

The custom kingdom creation command doesn't have a way to tell it to not include the title prefix, and even if there were, you would then have the problem that you can't tell if an existing title is a short_title to know whether you should suppress the title prefix.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Baron Porkface posted:

How does this happen?

You capture the province containing Irminsul, and you get the decision about what to do with it.
Which is bloody annoying, since I've it doesn't appear to even need to be Karl doing it, I've seen it happen in minor border skirmishes, but if you don't capture that territory during the war, you can't do it afterwards.

EDIT: Yeah, any Christian ruler who sieges Paderborn can do it, unless you can arrange it such that Saxony isn't held by a Germanic Saxon, or Charlemagne isn't an independent ruler and there aren't any other independent French Kings or Emperors before 830, or you can keep all the French Christian kings at war until 830.

Edison was a dick fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 4, 2015

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

If you take Saxony the Child of the Forest rebels with twelve thousand men behind him because you burned his weirwood or some poo poo.

I think they might also still rebel even if you don't burn it because I imagine they're pretty pissed about some foreigner coming in and taking all their poo poo and telling them their gods aren't real and also chopping of the heads of several thousand people for not converting properly. Which I don't think you can actually do in the game, or at least I didn't get an event for it. Maybe they didn't feel like putting in an event for what basically amounts to ethnic cleansing.

Yeah, Widukind will always rebel against the owner of Saxony, unless you can game the system such that the Saxon wars never started. Which is possible if you are constantly at war during the valid period, or if you convert the King of Saxony to Catholicism.

Amusingly there's another way to game the Widukind events into not happening: Destroy the titles of the Kingdom of Saxony, The Duchy of Saxony, The Duchy of Brunswick and the Duchy of Holstein until both Charlemagne and Karloman are dead.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

One mechanic I remember from the original Crusader Kings that I've never noticed in CK2... do people still get beatified or canonized for Santhood? I've never seen it happen.

I remember this one time playing a game in CK1 where I had this real bitch of an aunt who caused me nothing but pain during a character's entire life until I finally had her murdered. She got the last laugh, as despite being an awful person with awful traits a few years after her death the Pope announced her beatification. :psyduck:

Not in base game. CK2+ added some form of it though.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I think there's one character in the earliest start date that has the Hellenic religion, which is the classical greek religion.

Not in the base game at least.
The last Hellenic Pagan in the history files is Caesar Flavius Claudius Iulianus Augustus who died in 363.

The only Hellenic Pagan that spawns in-game is the Lunatic's bastard child of the Rose bush's mother, who the pope immediately kills of old age.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Trujillo posted:

Is there a certain percent of men you lose before event armies stop refilling themselves? As ivar I still had about 2.9k left after the invasions and noticed they slowly filled back up but after they got to below 1k they stopped.

Your troops are split up into units.
If an entire unit gets killed it won't reinforce.
I don't know how it decides which units lost troops, it appears random.
If you get lucky in a battle all your losses will be spread out amongst your units,
at which point you will eventually reinforce back up to full strength.
If you're unlucky it will wipe out some units completely, which won't reinforce.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

Man forming the Persian empire is hard. It's just so huge.

In my experience, Mesopotamia usually drifts out into Arabia, which helps.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Mister Adequate posted:

I dunno where this fucker got 13k event troops from but it's making it really hard to conquer Cyrodiil when he owns half the place thanks to that.

Maybe they'll go away when he dies.

I had that happen to me from some necromancer. I dragged the war out long enough for him to die and his troops went away.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

You need a Kingdom outside Francia to form Francia.
I guess it's for historical inertia, so that you end up with a big Kingdom of France that de-jure drifts Duchies in.
However, the AI will create the Kingdoms even if it would result in losing territory upon succession, presumably optimising for prestige.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Mister Adequate posted:

If you're a Merchant Republic you can hold cities without penalties, and if you're a Muslim you can hold temples without penalties, and if you're a Muslim Patrician you can hold all three.

Not anymore, since Iqta became a government type rather than a property of being a Muslim. You can't be both Iqta and a Republic, so you can no longer hold all 3 types.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Volkerball posted:

Now it's just Nahua, and Mongols have been demoted to the same horde type as Hungarians and all the other steppe cultures. They have to be pagan to use the invasion CB. In horse lords, they tend to convert to Islam or Buddhism pretty quickly, which immediately nerfs their invasion CB.

Fairly sure that's no longer the case, instead the invasion cb is tied to your population, so if you are at 90% of your population cap you get to invade, no matter what culture or religion you have.
So now all hordes are allowed to tribal invasion, but cultures lose it after settling, and being at 90% of your population is very rare.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Groogy posted:

I'll add a "Pillage all" button for 2.5 maybe if people ask me nicely.

A "Pillage until razed" option, that automatically pillages until the holding is gone would be less of a nuclear option, though I can't think of a case where I'd want to leave a holding held but unpillaged.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

catlord posted:

What mod are you playing with? I recognise the religious icon as being used in several, but I assume it's not WtWSMS.

CK2+

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm OK with this as long as they also gang up on AI megablobs (hello, HRE! Hello, Abassids!)

If the infamy goes with the title rather than the dynasty it should, but if the title changes hands they would only have the infamy of inheriting the realm, rather than the previous guy's expansion.

Could you inherit a realm so large that you are always maxed out on infamy even on a good succession.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Spiderfist Island posted:

Question for the modders in the thread: is it possible to make it so for a given government type, any randomly-generated courtiers share the same dynasty as their demesne ruler? I'm thinking of trying to mod Tribal governments so that they're actually clan-based rather than a proto-feudal approximation like they are now, but I don't know if such a thing would be possible without lots of scripting events churning in the background.

If you hook into the right event you could have it set the dynasty after they are created, though it at least used to have a bug where after you reload a game, it counts them as your children.
on_new_holder might work if you can detect whether the character is newly created.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

TheBlackRoija posted:

Unless ck2+ changes it, leading armies doesn't have an effect on you getting an heir.

CK2+ adds a fertility penalty for being away from court.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Hm, do positive opinion modifiers inherit too?

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Gods, why do grogs also have to be such loving creeps.

To change the subject completely, remind me again, was it better to stack a bunch of trade posts in a single ocean area or try and string a bunch of ocean areas together?

Building trade posts gives you trade value in connected sea zones.
This translates into an income bonus for cities and trade posts that are part of that zone.
This income bonus asymptotically approaches something like 50% for cities and 100% for trade posts.
You get a big boost to trade income for being connected to the capital.

You don't get this bonus if you don't control the sea zone (have more trade posts than anyone else in the zone),
and if you control two adjacent sea zones they become part of the same trade zone.

Therefore a good first approximation of how to build optimally, is to build everything in the sea zone adjacent to your capital,
since you will have the best chance of controlling the best zone you can get,
and all your trade posts will be in the zone with the best bonus.

Built-up cities are worth more than trade posts, even with the greater bonus to income from trade zone dominance,
so it's in your best interests to control all the cities connected to trade zones you control,
whether directly or indirectly, since the income will come to you eventually.

Now, the purpose of building everything in one zone is to control it, but if you've already got more than half the possible trade posts, there's no benefit to building them there, as opposed to the next zone along, so long as you can dominate that zone too.

By extending into dominance of the next trade zone along too, you get more from the cities in that zone too.

So the best way to play is actually to monopolise all the trade posts, working out from your capital, and taking the sea-side cities.

You can fairly easily do this when Doge, by not improving trade practices technology until you have maxed out your existing cap, built all the palace upgrades to extend your cap, and built up enough funds to immediately build all the trade posts you can after you improve technology.

If you stop being Doge then you may run into trouble, since the new Doge will see that you are a real threat to him, and try to steal your trade posts, so it's best to not take chances, and rig every election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Volkerball posted:

Does this work well enough that you could do it over and over until all the trade posts come to you?

The redistribution algorithm spreads them out across the remaining patrician families.
With enough killing you can make most of the trade posts yours,
but you'll still end up with most of the other patrician families having at least one trade post,
so do your best to ensure that you already dominate the small sea zones that connect to your capital.

• Locked thread