Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Aw man, I was sort of hoping that the old thread would be closed at 1,066 pages.

Good OP though. Horse Lords is going to own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Saith posted:

It is time to pray to the Almighty, that the heathen followers of the old ways be forcibly converted to our glorious new thread and thus mend the great schism.

Deus vult.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Tehan posted:

If there's anyone else on youtube with beta footage, please link in the thread. Arumba's forgotten how to play CK2 but he still thinks he's great at it so he's making constant mistakes and blaming them all on the game or the developers. It's infuriating.

I just watched him misread "Priestess" as "Princess" and wonder why he A) didn't get any alliances when he married them and B) why his prestige is in the shitter. You'd think he'd notice something was off when a "princess" was House Lowborn.

EDIT: And now he's trying to raid fellow nomads while failing to realize that he borders the goddamn Byzantine Empire.

EDIT 2: Youtube comments are normally pretty lovely but a lot of these are pretty good.

quote:

continually misreads priestess as princess "Make me a beta tester Paradox! I have an eye for detail!"

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jul 13, 2015

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Sindai posted:

They can be called into offensive wars as well but then they have the ability to decline.

They didn't say anything about coalitions changing how CBs and war targets work so I assume they don't. Which means there's little reason for the player to join offensive coalition wars and hopefully the AI knows not to either.

I could see myself joining an offensive coalition war. Even if I don't get anything tangible out of a victory, I would still benefit from seeing the HRE or the Ilkhanate or whatever getting a nice, thick slice carved off of it. And if the coalition loses I didn't lose anything but time and troops.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

TheCIASentMe posted:

Yes... Time for elective monarchy Vikings. All of my sons will struggle. Only the best will receive the nomination to rule the others shall be cast off as mercenaries. :black101:

I dunno about you, but I'm sending off ALL of my sons to be mercenaries and then choosing my heir based on who makes it back alive.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Volkerball posted:

Yeah I hate that bug.

Another old favorite I ran into last night was the one where your custom kingdom name wouldn't stick. No, I don't want to be the Duke of Mumu, goddammit.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

New achievements for Monks and Mystics are up on Steam:

Thanks to the ironman and no mods requirement, I'm creeping up on 600 hours of CK2 and still have a big fat goose egg for achievements. Oh well.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

verbal enema posted:

I've torn my own kingdom apart to land a particularly good general before.

That man did miracles and you were a whiny pissbaby during that war GET OFF THAT CHAIR

Yeah I like to reward people for their good work. I once had some lowborn courier personally kill Seljuk in one-on-one combat (HIP duel engine plug!) so I gave him a pile of gold, a Lusty, Midas-touched wife, and the Kingdom of Aquitaine. Unfortunately his son turned out be a traitorous little poo poo, but hey, what are ya gonna do :shrug:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

So let me get this straight, it's now possible for someone to leave your court, discover the New World 600 years ahead of schedule, become emperor of the Aztecs, and then return to Europe with 400,000 men and a thirst for vengeance (and hearts)?

Holy loving poo poo. :stare: :black101:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Dang, Karl got a hell of a makeover with the new German portaits.

The studly verdict of Verden, am I right, ladies? :swoon:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

cock hero flux posted:

Tribal and Nomadic holdings are worth almost nothing and if you're raiding in Ireland or Eastern Europe you're probably just hitting tribals.

You gotta go for churches, cities, and castles to make the big bucks.

To add to this, the AI is really, really lovely at repelling raiders so feel free to hit up Rome, Venice and Constantinople for their pocket change and the occasional Pope to sacrifice.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

cock hero flux posted:

honestly it seems excessively reasonable to sit down with your husband a couple of days after the wedding and say "alright honey, now that we're married, it's time for you to stop loving your sister"

More importantly, why would a Norse pagan give a poo poo? "For Thor's sake, if you want to have sex with someone who's not me, it has to be one of the rape slaves that you kidnapped from Constantinople and made your concubine. Not some random court floozie!"

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

spectralent posted:

It really is.

how can so many people be so wrong

Zulu invasion from the south, Inuit from the north, and Chinese invasion of India. Make this happen, Paradox. In the grim darkness of the 1st millenium, there can be only war.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah the problem isn't so much that the satanists have too much stuff as it is that the other societies don't have enough. They're mostly passive bonuses which are nice but not very interesting.

If the Satanists get to summon demons, sacrifice their kids to increase their lifespan, and regenerate their severed dicks, it's only fair that the forces of the Light get to counterbalance that. Let's go Old Testament with this poo poo, I want to summon floods and rains of fire and raise characters from the dead and single-handedly beat entire armies to death with a severed donkey jaw.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

winterwerefox posted:

Messing with console commands, I made my character and his wife have the same stats of Immortal, Strong, Genius, Fair, Ambitious, Lusty. The wife immediately went seducer focus. 100 years in, I check their oppinion of each other. His opinion of her is -1200 because of the affairs she keeps having and he keeps finding out about because she was his spymaster and kept finding the affairs :allears:

Five times as hated in half the time. Try harder, scrub. :smuggo:

To be fair I think I took these screenshots before they made the AI a little less bone-happy

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

So I installed the compatch that makes CK2+ and Rebels and Warriors (two awesome overhauls everyone should check out, RaW is closer to Vanilla than CK2+) play nice together and... uh... I've had the weirdest game of CK2. Highlight is King Sultan Karl Karling.

I'm Charlemagne's baby rattle

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

I think better looking garbs added an update that gives your characters the artifacts they currently posses. I know my dude always has his sword, HEARTSEEKER :black101:, slung behind him.

Oh, that's pretty sweet. There's an HIP trait called Ambidextrous, I hope at some point they modify the inventory system so if you have that trait and a certain level of personal combat ability/the Duelist trait, you can equip a weapon in each hand and go Gannicus some fools :black101:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Bloody Pom posted:

Been playing HIP with almost every module turned and uh. Yeah. The new map is bloated as gently caress. Why did they feel Gelre needed to be a three-county duchy?

I absolutely love certain parts of HIP, but EMF is really the only module you need, with the ARKO shield pack and the better textures mod to your taste. SWMH is pretty bad, and the ARKO UI is completely useless.

Thank loving god VIET Events is dead, just imagine nine or ten variations of this exact joke over and over again, mixed in with some retarded bullshit the creator saw in an anime once:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

EightDeer posted:

I've never understood the white-hot rage this event causes in CK2 goons. It's just a dumb joke.

Oh, I enjoy a dick joke as much as anyone (and to be fair, medieval people did too), but in this isn't even a good or original dick joke, and this event alone makes the exact same dick joke five times in a row. And even that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, but the VIET events module added literally nothing but dick jokes, anime references, and worthless event spam like "I was taking a poo poo in the woods and I saw something shiny on the ground! (+1.00 gold)" or "I was taking a piss and some dribbled down my leg! (-1.00 prestige)". It's not that it was broken or offensive or anything, it was just a completely and utterly worthless mod that came in a bundle with a couple of really good mods.

EDIT: where did my life go so wrong that I'm defending my distaste for a defunct dick joke mod for a mapgame on an internet forum I pay for :smith:

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 28, 2017

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, HIP even comes with a little installer that literally asks which mods you want to install one by one.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Tehan posted:

Losing a Magnum Opus when the guy that wrote it died was a real kick in the dick. I hope they take another look at the whole "10% chance to eat poo poo" mechanics of inheriting relics.

They also need a way to manually throw away or give away items you don't want anymore. I'm sick of my kings automatically putting on the iron crown and longsword when they come of age instead of the sweet Crown of Pearls and FURY, THE MASTERWORK SWORD FORGED FOR MY FATHER'S FATHER, THE FIRST EMPEROR OF FRANCIA, THAT HAS SHED THE BLOOD OF CALIPHS (and more importantly gives a handsome prestige and martial boost)

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Is it just me or did Conclave take out a lot of the childhood "growing up" events? The stuff like "me and another kid raided the kitchen" or "I got my first kiss today!" or "my daughter asked me for some walking-around money and haggled with the candy merchant". I miss those. :smith:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Make sure you have Internal King's Peace though. I once lost a pet republic with posts covering the entire Mediterranean because one rear end in a top hat duke decided to conquer Provence and ruin it all. :smith:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Has anyone ever come across a bug where even if you change to a succession law other than Tanistry, your heir is still called "Tanist Bob" rather than "Prince Bob" or whatever? It's not a huge deal but a little annoying considering I changed to Primogeniture three hundred years ago.

Oh well. I suppose in Norman Francia the Emperor's oldest son is still called the Tanist out of tradition to the old Viking days. Like the Dauphin of France, but with beards.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Honky Dong Country posted:

As soon as the auto-assign commanders box appeared I check that poo poo every time and never look back because I have absolutely no interest in diving any deeper into the combat mechanics than to smash stacks of my mans into stacks of enemy mans.

Edit: On that note I wish it stayed checked when your ruler dies.

Does the check box only look for vassals, or does it include courtiers with high Martial or commander traits? I appointed my daughter as Marshal and she seemed to bring me a new general every month or so, so my court is completely full of mid-40s single lowborn men with Skilled Tactician.

Also, the tactics game can be surprisingly satisfying once you know what you're doing. It's all about leadership and positioning and picking your battles; and if you get it right you can beat people in wars who have four or five times as many troops as you. My proudest moment was winning a battle where I was outnumbered four to one by appointing commanders with the Defender trait on all three flanks and then baiting a Seljuk army across the Danube. Of course it also helped that the aforementioned daughter killed the Shahanshah himself in single combat :black101:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

Sometimes, the Aztecs pull through.

RIP Europe. Hopefully the Black Death can avenge us

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Oh man, Rebels and Warmongers is incredible. Between the weapons and crowns and horses and opinion bonuses for just being the most badass swordfighter in the land, your dude becomes an absolute superhuman. The childish part of me cackles with glee every time I slice some poor fool to bits on the battlefield, and every character in the game has a literal win/loss/draw tracker so you can see in an instant how many men you've slain.

This modifier popped up after I chopped off one of my uppity vassals' hands in a duel and chose not to finish him off:

If I'm honest, I'm not a huge fan of how they switched up the character sheet, but you rack up so many traits I can see why they did it.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 10, 2017

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

are you kidding, that's a great change, the base game should have that

more for titles than for traits but still

Eh, I like how in vanilla all of your titles and claims and right below your main title, while your traits and modifiers were right below the stats they affected. Hey, at least it's not ARKO Interface :barf:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

nessin posted:

Haven't played CK2 since just before Horse Lords, I think. Definitely post-Charlemagne. Anyways, listening to Three Moves Ahead today convinced me to come back if for no other reason than the fact that somehow Paradox made a connection back to Sunset Invasion in Monks & Mystics that makes it actually legitimate to ask if you should turn Sunset Invasion on. Sometimes it's just the little things.

Now to learn how to loving play CK2 again. God drat it.

Yup. Apparently, if you have a devilspawn child, they have a chance of running off to the New World, seizing control of the Aztec Empire, and returning to kick your rear end. That said I would wait for the next patch if you want to see this, because right now this event completely ignores whatever pregame rules you set for the Sunset Invasion start date and someone else's demonspawn can set it off in literally the first year.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Mister Adequate posted:

Wait, they're going to change that? That's the best part :(

Well, you can set your Sunset Invasion game rules to "Random" and it should work like it does now, right?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

So whats up with the Rebels and Warmongers mod? People have been talking it up in this thread but from what I can see it's been discontinued by a diva modder.

Where are you seeing this? It's still in the Steam Workshop, and the author is still commenting there as of two days ago: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=760034792&searchtext=

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Chakan posted:

Finally, I married a princess of Germany and before she passed away we had a daughter. The German Kingdom is agnatic primogeniture, but if all the men die, it'll allow the women to inherit right? Can I stab my way to my daughter inheriting the throne? If I do, and she dies childless with no others of her family still alive, will I inherit? It's been so long since I've played I can't recall all the succession rules.

I don't think women can ever inherit normally in Agnatic, but I believe you can press their claims and put them on the throne by force. Once she's Queen, it probably won't go to you if she dies heirless (probably to her mother's brothers or their kids) but it might if you're her liege. Not 100% on this one though.

quote:

e: oh, the Fraticelli pope keeps declaring a crusade for Italy because I took Italy from them 150 years ago, but he doesn't have any holdings (or troops) and there are no other Fraticelli, how can I get him to stop?

I thought the Fraticelli pope could only call crusades if he was installed in Rome?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Chakan posted:

Ah! I am not quite being clear, this entire family crest is dying under suspicious circumstances. It will switch to Female-inherit once all the men are dead, right?
I don't know, actually. It might start looking at women, but it also might start giving titles to unrelated vassals. I'm just spitballing, though, I still think your best shot is to raise the banners and seize her crown the old-fashioned way. Serves them right for being sexist dickheads.

EDIT: Huh, apparently you can only press a woman's claim on an Agnatic title if you personally are the woman in question. TIL. :shrug:

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 14, 2017

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Rebels and Warmongers continues to own. Turns out if you'e blinded in a battlefield duel, you have a chance of literally becoming Zatoichi, complete with a totally bitchin' nickname. :black101:

The personal combat skill bonus mitigates the penalty for being blind in the first place, so you don't even miss a step. And of course, even legendary blind swordmasters need a loyal doggo to help them around the palace. :3:

.....For a few years, anyway. :(

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Imperial administration owns because every vassal serves at the Emperor's pleasure and you can revoke all of their poo poo at a whim.

Of course, getting there is a pain in the rear end because you have to have absolute crown authority and no council rights, and it can be tedious as your viceroys constantly die and you have to hand-pick their successor. HIP and CK2+ have a scripted event that make this a lot easier though; basically whenever a viceroy dies or you get a little pop-up saying "hey, do you want to give their viceroyalty to their kid, or someone else?" and then if you pick "someone else" you get a couple of pre-selected choices from your court or the duchy's counts. It even pops up if once viceroy seizes another viceroy's duchy and asks if your Imperial Majesty wants to let them keep it. I always say no :agesilaus:

Plus, you get a fancy purple portrait frame! Win-win-win.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Apr 17, 2017

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

DrPop posted:

Someone please explain me this blurb from Rebels and Warmongers

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I can imagine a more mundane explanation (it's for modeling stuff like unhorsing and infantry vs. cavalry generally) but I prefer yours.

Basically this. Battlefield duels play out differently if one or both of the combatants is on horseback (which is in turn determined by if you're breeding horses or not). Naturally mounted fighters have a huge advantage over people on foot (one of the options in the opening stage is literally trampling them into the dust), but if they manage to unhorse you you might get really loving hurt when you hit the ground.

It's a lot more dynamic and unpredictable than the HIP/CK2+ duel engine but my one complaint is that RaW's events don't fire immediately after one another like the duel engine does, so sometimes a duel ends a while after the actual battle does.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Luckily if you empower the council you can defang them by sticking the Doge in an advisor slot so he can't join factions against you, but their low opinion still hurts how much tax money they give you. Usually if my Chancellor isn't out fabricating claims or sucking up to a neighbor that's way more powerful than me, his lips are firmly implanted on the Doge's rear end on my behalf.

Incidentally, does the location of trade posts make a big difference regarding how much cash they take in? I've never played as a republic personally before, but making a pet republic is always priority #1 whenever I become a king. Basically, if I become king of France, am I better off making Flanders a republic, where there's less competition, or Provence, where the surrounding provinces are richer but I have to deal with Genoa, Pisa, and Venice?

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 19, 2017

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

If you've never done the Byzantines before, the Alexiad is my favorite start for them. You face a pretty good challenge at the beginning, but you still have plenty of time on the clock to mend the Schism and restore Rome. You'll get lots of action, clear objectives, and a bunch of fun exclusive toys like viceroys and the Varangian Guard and chopping off your enemies' scrotums.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Soup du Jour posted:

1204 is another fun start, you get to crush the Latin Empire play as the TRUE inheritors of Rome!

:catholic:

A continuation of the CK2+/RaW Jerusalem game I posted about a while ago. One of the blind king's sons pressed his claim on the Byzantines, but because he refused to convert to Orthodoxy the Byzantine Empire changed on the spot to the Latin Empire and I just rolled with it. A couple of generations later this guy took the throne, an Ambidextrous Brawny Duelist rank-5 swordsman who I assume rides into battle with a sword in each hand Drizzt Do'Urden-style because holy poo poo look at those combat modifiers.

Also, I'm pleasantly surprised that the regnal numbering for the Latins starts at Augustus, because this guy is waaaaay more deserving of the name Constantine XI than that loser who lost Constantinople forever. :agesilaus:

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

If it makes a difference, M&M is IIRC the the only way to get the German and English/Norman portrait packs, which are the best they've ever done.

• Locked thread