Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Walton Simons posted:

Ah, I might not bother in that case.

One weird thing I've notice is that 'leading troops in' doesn't seem to work very well. In one of my many wars with Scotland I noticed that the king was leading troops in Iceland. I sent some guys over, killed the army there, no notification of capture, hover over him and he's teleported to the Firth of Forth. What gives?

Defeating a king in battle doesn't always mean a kill/capture.

Its a roll of the dice like it always has been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
What if we had feast plots that were surprise birthday parties.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

There is nothing to fix that is Wad Venice was still technically in the byz sphere in 867.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yashichi posted:

It definitely is not WAD because the Byzantine emperor invades Venice and puts a loving count there in 80% of the games I play. If they really want to go down that route they should make Venice start as a Byzantine vassal in 769 and 867.

It definitely is was that the game does things once you start it yes.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yashichi posted:

This is singularly poor reasoning, nothing can ever be a bug or unintended behavior because that's what the game does when you start it :thumbsup:

A game mechanic doing exactly what it is suppose to do is not a bug or unintended behavior.

The game doesn't follow history to a tee but that is what you want it to do not what the game is or even should be designed for. So don't call my reasoning poor from your glass house.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

That apparently isn't happening anyway so,

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The mechanics are fine and honestly should be expanded not rolled back.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

CrazyLoon posted:

Considering that I remember something about Italy winning against Ethiopia as late as the 1930s by carpeting the ground with sharp glass or somesuch...possibly?

They won because the had tanks.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

What are you talking about the war went extremely well for the crusaders. They captured all the targets they actually attacked.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The Sin of Onan posted:

Yeah, I was gonna say; the Fourth Crusade never actually went to Palestine. It spiralled out of control due to greed and comically inept intrigue without ever leaving Byzantine territory.

The goal of the crusade was Egypt actually.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Simplex posted:

As I understand it, the plan was to sail to the Holy Land, (debarking in Egypt possibly?) on boats provided by the Venetians. When the Crusading armies got to Venice, they couldn't pay for the boats, so the Doge said, "hey I got an idea how we can make some money to pay for this," and hijacked the entire expedition to Constantinople.

Not really, they actually sacked a catholic city Zama, ran into a pretender to the Roman throne, and decided they would help make him emperor if he would pay them.

Turns out he couldn't as he greatly overestimated the Roman treasury. So they took his empire as payment.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I had an emperor who survived 10+ revolts while I was trying to push the Turks back.

My point is never trust a Greek viceroy, they don't give a gently caress.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Eh the Great Schism is granted more importance later and wasn't seen as that big a thing at the time.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah once Byzantium lost the Exarch of Ravenna and their ability to influence the pope at all the divide was complete.

So another problem we can blame on iconoclasm.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Well considering England and Jerusalem has ports nothing would happen.

As it seems to only effect landlocked non continuous provinces.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

A big reason for that in Orthodoxy was having an Emperor with power control the various Patriarchs. Look into early Eastern Orthodox history to see how Emperors attempted to enforce one particular theology over others, and how that led to territories like Egypt being lost to Islam.

Well how hazard the emperors pushed depended on the emperors deposition and the patriarchs deposition.

Like the last patriarch before the fall actually did well at trying to bridge the gap between the two factions but it was just to late.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Dallan Invictus posted:

It really isn't crippling, as someone who plays Zoroastrians basically half the time (the other half is Celts and Occitans for some reason). Concubinage makes it more workable (half-siblings and maybe first cousins still count for divine marriage, obviously, so new genes are frequently introduced) and I honestly can't remember the last time I had serious inbreeding problems if I put in even a moderate effort to manage the bloodline and introduce new blood.

I don't see how doing this makes the close-kin marriages "only for show"?

What your describing is actively playing around the mechanics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Kassad posted:

I'd never heard about it, that's hilarious :allears:

The Valentinian family was loving cursed.

But they survived a long rear end time. Despite it never ending well for any of em.

• Locked thread