Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Old Gods Karen :unsmigghh:

Old Gods Karen is basically the strongest Zoroastrian start, right? They're surrounded by strong assholes, but they also have a lot of event troops, which gives them an edge the Charlemagne Zoroastrian starts lack, and two of their neighbors start at war with each other which gives them time to stab others or try to steal stuff and build up. I tried some of the Charlemagne Zoroastrian starts and they just have nothing. At least, for the ones who are Zoroastrian; I think the heresies are actually slightly better off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

T___A posted:

Playing as a Zoroastrian what is the best way to convert pagans?

Endless holy wars and getting all your holy sites so you have high MA, then putting Zoroastrian rulers in every single level of control of places you don't keep for yourself so you have a lot of rulers using their court chaplains to convert the lands to Zoroastrianism while yours probably does the same.

At least, that's what I did. Don't bother trying to convert people you don't control; pagans are pretty dang hard to convert, if I recall correctly, and really in general I don't think it works well. Besides, as a Zoroastrian you basically have a valid CB on the entire rest of the world, may as well use it.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

T___A posted:

Ok, I have no trouble converting lands under my control, I was just wondering how to convert foreign pagans.

Yeah, from what I understand there are massive penalties to converting pagans. I could be misremembering, but given that a lot of people in this thread advocate sending your chaplain to pagan lands as a method of killing them without causing trouble, it doesn't sound like something that works very often.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Well, drat.

Also, Chach is on the road, so appropriately starting as a Sogdian (Charlemagne Chach start, you're a tribal Zoroastrian, you have basically nothing) puts you on the Silk Road.

The raiding adventurers thing looks interesting, too.

Edit: Hm, controlling one of the routes and trying to sow conflict along the other routes so more trade flows through your territory sounds like a devious way to make a lot of money. I wonder if that's actually possible, and how well it would work if so.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 23, 2015

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Torrannor posted:

July 14th, excellent.

Does anybody recognize the word that is written over the Islamic world in the government map? "IOTA"? :confused:

The "horde" replacement for retinues is interesting, though I don't know how historically accurate it is to have knights in there alongside light cavalry and horse archers.

"Iqta".

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this too. Seems like it should be very interesting.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Clanpot Shake posted:

Wouldn't you know it, first Crusade ever and I get to be the target. Thanks Obama. What do Catholics even want with Pomerania, anyway?

Your supply of tiny dogs.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think someone else asked this earlier, but I'm really curious as to what constitutes being "caught in the conflict" for Silk Road routes. Just the owner being at war at all (even if they're the aggressor/the fighting is happening elsewhere), there being an army in that province, that province having been captured, or what? Hopefully it's not just "the owner is at war".

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Groogy posted:

Province is under siege or has fallen under control of someone who is not the owner (won siege)

This includes raiders

That's a good way to do it. Thanks for the answer.

Really looking forward to this DLC.

Though, looking at the last dev diary, I noticed something odd; in this picture of the Silk Road, Samarkand is labeled as Khiva, Ahvaz seems to be labeled Tigris, and so on. Is there something I'm missing here? Most of the provinces have the right names and are named individually (despite going through where the Abbasid blob would be, so it seems unlikely that it's just a matter of who owns what), so I'm not sure what's going on.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Excelzior posted:

oh man keep nerfing North Korea mode guys it's totally not a colossal waste of everyone's time when you spend man-hours on preventing a specific subgroup of players from ENJOYING THEMSELVES, usually resulting in unintended disadvantages for every single other player as the "world conquest players" just loving route around your latest roadblock.

This is dumb. Getting someone's titles for banishing them doesn't even make sense in context; that's not how things worked in the past, as far as I'm aware, and it's kind of egregious since it's far and away the best option. Heck, it's not even listed as a "North Korea mode" nerf, it's just listed as a thing; it's the post you're responding to that described it as such. You're throwing a fit over a speculated reason for changing a thing that was extremely silly previously.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

kingturnip posted:

My Mongol Jain Empire of Britannia was just crusaded.
Sadly for the catholic idiots, the Pope led the charge at the first battle.

As it happens, it was also the only battle of the crusade.

81 years old and he tried to lead the battle? That is impressive, in a way. Not smart, but impressive.

Groogy posted:

Actually we have a beta who can manage to conquer the entire world in like a couple of years. 3-8 years or something depending on the Rng.

I am immensely curious as to how this is possible.

Edit: Hm, I wonder what happens after someone is banished. If the leader who banished them is overthrown, could they possibly return? Will they be able to try to raise armies to reclaim the lost lands? It seems like it might be interesting.

Actually, what happens if you're captured, then banished, and your heir takes over? Do you immediately take control of the heir, or do you just lose, or what?

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 30, 2015

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay, can someone help me and tell me how to get started as a tiny tribal person? I've never played them before and I am at a loss for what to do. I just have so little, and I don't really know how the unique mechanics work.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Thanks for the tips, though I could still use some help; I was asking with regards to tiny tribals (which neither Sigurdr or Ivar fit into, having vassals and being comparable to those around them in size if not larger) and the unique tribal mechanics, though the Svipjod post touched on the latter with the prestige army thing, which I previously wasn't aware of. Like, for an example of one of the tribals I've tried, Chach has a single holding and is surrounded by people of that size and larger. Other than immediately borrowing cash, hiring mercs, and stabbing my neighbors ASAP I'm at a loss for how to do anything with them, and I'm wondering if I'm missing any tribal tricks or something. I was already missing the army prestige thing; is there anything else I should know that could come in handy like that? Also, will your prestige troops disappear upon going feudal? Also also, for going tribal, is it just a matter of lasting long enough to raise your laws and build that hillfort, or are there easier ways of doing it?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
One more tribal thing: Forts count as a wrong holding type? Huh. That sucks. How bad is holding on to forts I've taken anyway?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tulul posted:

You missed the last bit.

So siege preference now goes war elephants (25)>heavy cavalry (10)>heavy infantry (6)>pikemen (5). Assaults will probably be easier, as the highest value you could get previously was a 5 with archers.

Huh. Horse Archers are basically useless here (in sieges that is) too now, what with a melee attack of 1.

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

They mention it's now possible to gain the Strategist trait. Wasn't it possible already?

I got it in the Sogdian test game I was doing from the War focus, so yeah, it's doable.

But yeah, wow. Are archers good for anything anymore? 2/1/2 for offensive stats, and now costing more as well, seems like they're now something you actively don't want, and horse archers are pretty much only good for when you've already won now too, though I guess skirmish attack of 4 means they're technically the best there. Melee attack of 1 means they're a liability after that, though.

Also jeez why on earth would they make light infantry even worse? They're already garbage.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Torrannor posted:

If you play a high martial character and use him to lead your troops, administration is suddenly the best focus you can get because it's a mini-organizer trait.

The other battle changes are interesting. Nerfing archers was long overdue, though perhaps increasing their costs is a step too far. Horse archers main are now only really worth it for Altaic characters.

Yeah, that's the thing that bothers me about the horse archer thing. I like playing in Persia, and they get a fair amount of horse archers too, but while they get the retinues and buildings they don't get the special tactic, so they're dependent entirely on them just being good units. As that is no longer the case, that makes their cultural retinues and such a lot less appealing unless you get your own crop of Altaic commanders from up north and keep their family line in your court the way some people get Welsh commanders in Europe for archer silliness.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tulul posted:

I did this on my Mac and it worked, but I have no idea if it'll work on a PC. IIRC there are two Northern Lakes entries in there, make sure you get the one with the right numbers.

also paradoxplaza.jpg

Three disagrees to one agree. Hoo boy. I take it that the responses are even worse?

Edit: Found the mod. "Underhanded Tactics - Torture and Adultery". Note that in the OP the full title is apparently "Underhanded Tactics V1.2 Torture, rape and adultery by vincentc". Charming.

At least he has the decency to say outright that you can't target children and will never put that in his mod. Still, ew. I take back any implications of decency I may have included here, the author of this is an awful person. This seems like the sort of thing that should be on some skeevy offsite mod repository, not the main forums for a game.

Edit again: The more I read of this OP the more I regret looking this up. This is abhorrent.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 9, 2015

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Out of curiosity/for reference, what's the opinion modifier for taking someone unwilling/that you've imprisoned as a concubine? Pretty sure it's far higher than -30, which is insultingly low. (Also pretty much an example of rape in the game itself, though one that as Groogy says isn't as explicit as a "rape this person" decision.)

Unrelated, but why is it that, when I catch people who've committed murder and rightfully imprison them for it, I can't actually do anything to them? Despite you normally getting one "free" action against people you imprisoned for accepted reasons, you're regarded as a tyrant for trying to actually punish Known Murderers. Are you supposed to just let them rot in jail forever? I ended up doing that for one, ransomed another because she actually had a fair bit of cash and a position worth a little money random-wise.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Huh, Chach is now under the control of the Bajanids in the Charlemagne start, meaning, unless I'm missing someone, there aren't any independent Zoroastrians in that start anymore. That's kind of disappointing; I guess you either have to either play the Karens (which is a later start date and not what I personally wish to do) or try to revolt from inside the Abbasids or one of their tributaries. I wonder which makes for the least-terrible start, the Karens and their event troops aside.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chickpea Roar posted:

Has someone mentioned lunatic is the best trait yet?

Just a shame the genius brother didn't inherit the wolf genes of his father/siblings.

Huh, have sky burials for Zoroastrian characters always been in the game, or is that new with Horse Lords? It's a neat addition either way.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SelenicMartian posted:

What if the Cadaver Synod event backfires and one of the defendants proves himself to be innocent?

How does this event work anyway? Does the pope have to be an immoral priest, or does that get applied to them posthumously as a result of the event, which has other things that trigger it?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lucky Guy posted:

I just claimed the last holdout province of India (or so I thought) I needed to become the Samrat Chakravartin, but...

Am I missing something? As far as I can tell, I control every province in each of the three Indian empires, I'm a Hindu, and I'm from an Indian ethnic group. I do know the decision changed in the last patch (because I lost my first ironman attempt to do this when the patch hit) - it used to list controlling each separate kingdom as a requirement rather than simply "The India".

Also; Hinduism, go home, you're drunk.

Maybe there are some individual holdings in there you don't have for some reason? I don't really know much about how India works in this game but that's the most likely way I can think of for you not actually controlling everything you seem to own.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It does cause a MA penalty, although it's the same as the penalty for getting churches raided by anyone else.

I think he means that priests/the Pope/whoever should get a negative opinion modifier of you for doing it or something. Some drawback to a Catholic raiding their own religion's churches beyond lowering MA.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darth Windu posted:

Why do I still have the sheik title as an Armenian miaphysite count

Were you playing a game as a sheik before loading this one? It was a while back but I've had errors where my characters kept titles from previous games.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm thinking about getting back into this again, after a while gone. Are there any good guides/overviews I can use to quickly catch up or good starter locations that aren't as boring as Ireland?

Also, are horse archers (still) bad? I remember hearing that they got hit hard a year or two back and I don't know if that changed. More generally, what's important to know about army stuff if I want to do more than just have bigger numbers and not attack over rivers without getting into the extremely detailed stuff?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Demon_Corsair posted:

I just got the strangest events back to back. Apparently my new king really really hated his mother, so I decided he should steal her skull as a trophy. I then immediately got an event about news that my mothers grave was robbed, and this news was so shocking that my king is now stressed.

You stole the loving skull, how is this a surprise?!?!

Guilt is weighing down on his mind, suffocating him.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
What is the difference between default and historical, out of curiosity?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So did this DLC come with the standard amount of game breaking bugs that will need to be patched out? Because I want to get back into the game.

Looking at the data someone provided, it's actually a really big improvement, performance-wise; the game now apparently runs better than it did pre-RoI, despite having India and stuff. Only big bug I've seen mentioned more than once is an issue with the music that can be fixed by turning dynamic music off or something.

Anyway, since I'm just getting back into this, could someone explain shattered retreats to me? I tried looking them up but all I found was people complaining about them, and their hyperbolic histrionics didn't seem like the best way to understand what the mechanic actually does.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Solarflare posted:

Is it possible to use the console to change game rules? I didn't realize the Gender Equality setting defaulted to the new Conclave laws being disabled.

It does? I thought it defaulted to, well, Default, not Historical (i.e. disabled). I just started a new game without messing with that option and it looks like I can use them fine.

I like that I can disable Sunset Invasion from in-game now, though. That's a really nice change.,

Edit: I like SI, mind. Just, when I'm getting back into the swing of things, another invasion isn't ideal. Disabling it in the DLC menu makes the main menu advertise it to me, though, even though I already own it, which always annoyed me.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Aug 28, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

widespread posted:

Bummer. Oh well.

It goes on sale fairly often, though. You'll get another chance soon enough probably.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay, two questions.

First, got the immortality questline. Marshal was sent off, then came back asking for money to "help his search" (i.e. he wanted a bribe). I gave him some money but not the maximum amount because it was like 90% of my treasury. Does the amount of money just help me or did I fail the quest already?

Second, a guy I just got as a vassal by pushing my de jure claim to his land took my wife, daughter-in-law, and baby granddaughter prisoner during the war, and beating him has not given them back. He won't accept my ransom offers either. What can I do here? Why can I not have this guy murdered for this? I need the daughter-in-law back for heir-making at least.

Edit: Seriously, I have a truce with this guy for ten years so I can't just kick his rear end again, do I have any options that aren't trying to imprison him and eating a massive tyranny penalty? It seems wrong that a guy can just keep his liege's wife and family in his dungeon without reprisal.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Aug 29, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Edit: Double-posted somehow.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aleth posted:

From what I can tell the 'give money' option just increases the chance they'll be successful in finding the mystic you need to continue the questline. If they fail though the mystic can still turn up of their own accord some months later.

Alright, thanks.

As for my issues with a vassal being able to keep my family in the dungeon with impunity, since I can't figure out any other options I'm going to bribe the guy so his opinion penalty is reduced enough for me to ransom the baby and daughter-in-law back (he wants more money than I have for my wife, and I still have gavelkind so I don't actually want more heirs). Then I guess I'm waiting a decade until the truce runs out, at which point I will annihilate this man if I haven't managed to make him suffer and die prior to that point.

My new goal is to ruin this man's life.

Edit: In happier news, found a replacement for my court physician; the last one was an awesome old man who did charity work and had 22 Learning. New one isn't nearly as skilled, but is pretty neat regardless. His heresy (which I noticed only after uploading this and just checked in-game) is Cathar, for something not apparent in the screenshot.

(Also I wound up going with Murchad despite him being easy mode so I could play around with the new things and relearn old ones before diving in to deeper stuff. I like shattered retreat so far, actually.)

Edit again: Marshal found a mystic. I... Don't think she'll be able to help me with my immortality search.

She's pretty neat, though.

Edit the third: In the "An Intriguing Encounter" event popup I got where she offers to help me, at the end it says, "I hear your are looking to live forever," which I assume is a typo and not her making a weird grammatical error present nowhere else in her dialog.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Aug 29, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Midnight Voyager posted:

Why do you think that? Her martial is astronomical, she might be legit. Her event chain relies on martial skill. It's the one I got.

I assumed it was based on Learning, not Martial. Googling later hinted that it might be the latter though, so I wound up going ahead anyway. Murchad wound up dying after trying to strangle the snake she set on him and getting bit.

Plus side, that ended my truce with the rear end in a top hat vassal, so after my army built back up I revoked his land and crushed him in war. Sadly didn't capture him like I did the first guy I warred; I was hoping for a chance to torture or mutilate him, but oh well. He still exists in-game, and actually is still in Ireland even, so I have more chances to hunt him down or otherwise screw with him.

Though for some reason the county I took to him is apparently going to be lost on succession and go to his heir rather than mine, despite it being a part of my duchy? What could cause this? Did he change local succession laws or something and it still applies to me despite me owning his land now? I don't see how that'd matter unless he made it agnatic, because I have a female heir at the moment.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
How worth it is taking away my council's power as a long-term goal? I'm getting annoyed by these assholes trading each other favors and stonewalling my law changes.

Also annoyed by my Diplomacy 20 chancellor not making me any more claims. Do something you rear end in a top hat, you're my most-annoying council member so I need you to be useful somehow.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Cheshire Cat posted:

In the hotfix notes:

Is that what was happening? I was noticing that when I went to war after failing to arrest/revoke titles sometimes, some other random dukes would keep joining in the revolt against me as well despite not being vassals of the original target.

Oh dang, I stopped playing for the night just after this happened to me as well. If I stopped a little earlier I'd have an easier war ahead of me. (It's still an easy war because I am king of Ireland now and this jackass and his ally are pathetic.)

Also sadly Brian failed to get Horse M.D. before dying, despite being a lunatic after studying the Necronomicon in an attempt to bring feminism to Ireland (I needed cultural points for Tolerance).

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Some minor things I think would be nice for Reaper's Due:

-Some kind of prosperity/depopulation map mode. The epidemic map mode is neat but it would also be cool to see the aftermath of a huge plague, or just identify prosperous counties to conquer/raid. I know it has the 3D icons marking those statuses but you can't really see those while zoomed out, so a plainer colour-coded mode would be better for that.
-I don't know if this is possible, but it would be nice to have a rule option to disable dynasty-named realms. It gets confusing trying to figure out who owns what titles among Muslims/Indians, plus it's kind of a shame that whenever you get a title with a cool flag as one of them, it gets replaced by your boring generic dynasty flag.

I agree, particularly with the latter, whether as a rule thing or at least a personal empire option. When I make Persia, I want my flag to be the Faravahar and to have a big "Persia" written across the map. The Karen bull is cool but when I accomplish that much I want it to show. Edit: Whoops, was misremembering about the flag thing; it was a mod that made Zoroastrians use their dynastic flag rather than that of their title. So playing the game unmodded I can get the Farvahar, but still don't get "Persia". Would like the latter as well.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Sep 1, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, seriously... what's the deal with the horse doctors? I mean... what?

Lunatics can sometimes hire a horse to be their doctor.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Strudel Man posted:

That's the intended method, though in this case, my doctor was a horse because my character was brought up by a horse chancellor, and became horse-cultured himself. Thus the physicians he hires are naturally horses, unless another culture is specified.

Okay well that's loving amazing. Wow.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Horse cultural retinues, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Groogy posted:

Hey I did Glitterhoof on my freetime, it wasn't meant to be a actual playable culture, just a funny stupid thing.
I didn't even think people would want unique cultural buildings or retinues...

I'm half-joking; it's just something that would be funny, though it'll probably show up as a mod sooner or later. Though I would love a (semi)official thing.

Frogfingers posted:

I'd pony up for that DLC!

Edit: NOOOOOO!

DLC more controversial than Sunset Invasion.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Sep 1, 2016

• Locked thread