Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I picked this up again after about a year, with the intent of playing Horse Lords. Doing an Ireland run atm to get myself reacclimated, and I seem to have run into a problem with betrothals. My daughters are still getting shipped off no problem, but whenever my sons and their fiancees come of age, I have to manually break the betrothal then arrange the marriage, taking a pretty large opinion hit in the process. I am running the Crusader Queens mod, mainly to give the women in my court something to do... could that be the problem or is this a known thing? Is there any way of getting around it?

Goddamn, I forgot what a massive time sink this game is. And how much I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

I've been playing as Mercia/England with the 769 start date, and things have been... interesting. I've somehow managed to keep chugging along with my dynasty for more than 500 years at this point, probably because I've been concentrating more on court stuff instead of just rapid expansion this time around. However...

The Holy Roman Empire was never founded, and the Byzantines are long gone. Catholicism, as a religion, seems to barely exist, and most of Western Europe is Lollard or Waldensian (I somehow ended up with a Waldensian ruler myself, and just decided to roll with it). Spain has been fully Muslim for centuries. On the other end, Abbasid is eating everything, and a successful Jihad was just called for Sweden :stare:. And now a whole lot of Muslims are in my court for some reason, though they seem to like me well enough.

This playthrough is an absolute disaster, and it may also be the greatest CK2 game I've ever had.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Is there any way besides constant stabbing to prevent vassals from demanding lower crown authority over and over? I'm playing as Pictland with the Charlemagne start, the year is 1070 something and I just adopted feudalism after taking over Ireland, Wales and about half of England. I'm at medium now, and they just won't leave me alone. They mostly love me other than that, but every few years, like clockwork, they rise up. I can slap them down easily enough, but it's a hassle, and I'm spending a small fortune on bribes and mercs.

I wish there was a way to tell them that I just want to enact primogeniture, then I'll set things back down to where they were and we can get back to making England our bitch :(.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

cock hero flux posted:

Swatting down one guy at a time is easy. You just park an army on their land before you try to imprison them. If you have decent Intrigue you'll have a pretty high chance of getting it done and the one or two who slip through can be dunked immediately.

Tried doing this, my dude died in battle, and his fourteen year old son took over. In those two years of regency, my crown authority was set back to minimum, because my regent was in that drat faction :mad:. I love and hate this game so much.

Anyway, I'm playing completely vanilla, and the AI is doing insane things this go-around. The year is 1163, and Catholicism has basically eaten everything, extending all the way to central Asia, with a strong foothold in Jerusalem. There's still a strong Sunni presence, including in Norway, of all things. Sweden, however, has formed a Catholic theocracy, with a female King-Bishop who was just appointed Pope :stare:. Through it all, the HRE never formed, and France is an elective monarchy. I have zero idea what's going to happen when the hordes come, especially considering the Khaganate is Catholic, but it's pretty amazing to watch. I kinda hope I can hang on til the end, just to see what the map looks like.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

What's a good way to build up a lot of prestige in a small amount of time? I'm playing as Eire with the Charlemagne start, about two hundred years in. United Eire fairly quickly, and thanks to a few well-timed holy wars, I'd taken over all of Wales and Cornwall, as well as a few counties in England and Pictland. Somewhere along the way, I got a message saying that a group had decided to press my claim for the rest of Pictland, which I hadn't even known I had. They apparently won, so I now had that as well. Sweet! Except my guy died soon after, and because of Gavelkind succession, the new country went to his second son, still a child. Got it back no problem, but was assassinated soon after. As were my next three rulers, with the realm nearly always getting divided once again.

The guy I have now is decent and well-liked, and things seem to have calmed down. I really would like to form an empire so I don't have to worry about having to grab Pictland again every time a new guy takes over (it's always pretty easy, but it's time-consuming, risky, and makes people hate me). My current ruler is relatively young, sitting at a prestige level of around 2000. If all goes well, I should be able to do it in his lifetime, but I need anything I can to get there.

I've kept things tribal so far, which may not be the smartest idea, but I like having the AI deal with the vassal armies instead of me, and being able to raise a tribal army is useful in a pinch (albeit at the cost of prestige). Would converting to feudalism help speed things along, or would it make it worse? I just want things to stabilize so I can get back to wrecking poo poo.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Jedit posted:

You could disband both king-level titles and form a custom Kingdom. That would raise the issue of losing control of any duchies you don't personally hold, but you can get around that by revoking all the duchies before forming the kingdom then finding a way to die quickly. Huge tyranny hits and big rebellions to fight, but it's good to have a hobby in your old age.

Sadly I can't break things up under Gavelkind, and it'll be ages before I can get enough laws passed to switch to something else. I'd been planning to not actually form any countries (except for the original Eire) until I had enough prestige to almost immediately form an empire, but this unexpected acquisition of Pictland has kinda screwed that up. De jure drift is also starting to gently caress me over, and France and Germany have apparently taken over big chunks of England in the time I've spent slapping down rebellions and getting assassinated. I really hope I haven't run into a wall with this, this has been a pretty fun run so far.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

TheCIASentMe posted:

If you have Pictland, Eire and most of Wales why don't you try to form Britannia? It only requires 800 or so prestige and it sounds like you have most of the territory already.

Weirdly, I don't even have the option. It's Found a New Empire (at 8000 prestige) or nothing :smith:.

Anyway, thanks for the advice, everyone. First order of business once I get home will be dropping Tribalism, though I'll miss being able to go make dinner or something while my vassals do my work for me.

Unrelatedly, my ruler called someone trying to forge a claim a "narrow-minded clubfoot" last night, and for some reason that's making me laugh for far longer than it should

Crow Jane fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 23, 2016

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

The king of Bavaria just called me into a war against someone named "King Wido the Gouty". I may never stop laughing.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Chickpea Roar posted:

Worst event in the game right here:

Thanks for ruining my wolf/demon Genghis Khan, Paradox :colbert:
good thing you can still save-scum to some extent in ironman

I got the Joan of Arc event during a period of unprecedented peacefulness in my realm. Nothing but a few small scale adventurer claims to pit her against, no decent claims to press :smith:. She educated both my son and grandson into Brilliant Strategists, so it wasn't a complete loss, but I wish she could've been there for a holy war or succession crisis or something

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Welp, my first two heirs died young and childless, leaving my mediocre third son in line for the throne. I'd granted him a far off county to get him off my back, and in the six years or so since then he'd not only married his own aunt, he'd had no less than five sons with her, all of whom have the Inbred trait but are strangely healthy and hard to kill. Welcome to the Kingdom of Eiretucky, folks, it's gonna be a rough couple of generations :smithicide:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Finally got the demon spawn event, with my genius heir... in the year 1450 :smith:

Good game, though. Started as the two-county Irish dude in the Charlemagne start, was able to establish feudalism and primogeniture fairly early, and had a mostly smooth ride to found the Empire of Brittania through a combination of awesome chancellors, repeated use of the Business focus, careful breeding, well-timed holy wars and plenty of stabbing. I was sitting on something like 25K personal troops and 50K gold by the end of it, with not much to use either on. Can't speak for the rest of Europe, though... most everything but the very northern parts of mainland Europe, Scandinavia and Italy were Umayyad, with something like eight failed Crusades. The Byzantines had turned Catholic, and for a while there were two popes. The Mongol horde was also somehow Catholic, and seemed fairly non-aggressive.

That was probably the longest game I ever played, I kinda don't know what to do with myself now. I would like to say how glad I am that the music doesn't have to be location-specific anymore, I think having a larger song pool kinda kept me from burning out at times.

Crow Jane fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 30, 2016

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Or because you're playing Tanistry and the guy who inherits is married to a slow, syphilitic first cousin who hates him.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

I actually prefer the Business focus to the rulership one, due to the cash-raising events you get with it. Pretty good chance you'll get the Stressed or Greedy trait if you pick it, though.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Flip Yr Wig posted:

What's the over-under on Charlemagne? I just bought the DLC collection & Way of Life on the Humble Bundle sale, so I've shelled out a fair amount quite recently. I would probably be fine waiting until the next sale, presumably when the next DLC rolls along. But I could probably also part with another $5...

I'd say it's worth it, though I've never played as one of the Karlings. At the very least, the earlier start date gives you a head start on wrecking poo poo.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

I've had the Norse faith reform. I was playing as Mercia at the time, things did not go great for me after that.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Ruler Designer is worth buying if you want to give your dynasty a jump start. I usually make my first guy an ugly, wounded, genius Grey Eminence or Brilliant Strategist and cross my fingers that the positive qualities get passed down.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Does anyone in here play the Game of Thrones mod? If so, what Essos cultures are reasonably developed/fun to play? I've been loving around in Westeros for a while, cackling as I feed people to my dragons and just generally seeing how insane the AI gets, and it's great, but I want to see what the rest of the map has to offer.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nutranurse posted:

Let me counter this question with another question: how much do you like slavery?

I'd be willing to play as a slaver culture for a game or two, I guess, but would probably feel terrible afterwards. I tend to play even vanilla CK2 as a series of ruthless tyrants, so slavery is probably a natural progression of that. I'm not proud :smith:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

negationix posted:

During the recent Ukonjuhla I discovered that high chief Kaleva, nephew of current king is lunatic (got that event about standing stark naked and screaming that he's on fire). Since I have elective feudalism, this likable fellow could be elected to be the next king. What would be implications of that? Can one lunatic king cause too much havoc on kingdom? I can always arrange an accident with a drawer of knives :ese:, if situation gets too bad looking.

I once checked the inheritance law page while I had a lunatic king, and the description of my realm was "Kingdom of Terror" :black101:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Have you picked a focus yet? Seduction and Family will both up your chances of having kids, your guy can just lie back and think of Italy.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

You still get a fertility boost with your wife IIRC

Yeah, I had a gay king who had like six kids once I switched to the family focus. It's not the most exciting one to pick, but it's really good for situations like that.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Just had the Dancing Plague hit Scandinavia, and was bummed it didn't make it's way over to me, I bet that event chain is amazing. DLC owns.

Sooo... despite not being pregnant when she came to my court, and me never getting the suspicious pregnancy event, my wife gave birth to an inbred child. We don't have any ancestors in common that I can see, it sucks. Unfortunately, he's my heir. His two younger brothers are a genius and a kid with the Strong trait, and obviously I'd much rather have either of them inherit. In my experience inbred characters die young, but is there any way to sort of speed the process along? I really don't want to deal with playing as him.

Bums me out killing him, though, his one trait is Gregarious :smith:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Welp, finally got the immortality event to go through. With a celibate king and three hundred years to go :shepface:

Gonna ride it out, of course. His stats and traits are fantastic, he has sons and grandsons, the realm is booming. This is either going to be my weirdest or dullest game ever. Can you lose the celibacy trait? Am I stuck with "the Just" as a title forever?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

Oh, yeah, can titles change? I know some things that would give you a title won't if you already have one, but is that always the case? It'd suck to, say, become Saoshyant and still be known as "the Accursed" or something because I did the weird science quest line early on the character.

As it happens, I literally just had mine change. My lonely lich-king is now known as 'the Monk'

Welp, was, I guess. Turns out even immortals are vulnerable to getting blown up :v:

Crow Jane fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 17, 2016

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

A filter that lets you see which characters might be open to a matrilineal marriage might be nice, though I suppose it doesn't come up all that often.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

It definitely includes Commanders.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

This is likely just because top speed has been really loving fast since Reaper's Due, but lately the marriage/betrothal proposals and calls to arms have been disappearing way faster than I can click them or pause the game. Having them stick around for a few seconds longer would be nice.

Also I sorta miss the education pop-ups.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

A Tartan Tory posted:

I have failed the immortality questline 12 times now, I'm never going to be immortal. :shepicide:

When I finally got it to stick, it was with a eunuch character. He's been going for three hundred years now, and in addition to no balls, he's now missing an eye, a hand, a leg and half his face. My empire is booming, though (a complete lack of succession crises will do that), and dude has a parrot to keep him company :unsmith:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

My immortal, lunatic, multiple amputee, mangled emperor got a prosthetic leg that gave him the confidence to ask a girl to dance, and they fell in love :3: Not sure what that'll do, exactly, but dude's had a lonely few centuries, so good for him.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Welp, I did it. Charlemagne start to 1453 on a single character.

Think I'm gonna take a break for a while.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

My eunuch emperor was 704 years old in 1453, and not once did Satan offer him his balls back, I feel cheated. You'd think a lunatic who owns the Necronomicon and was known as ' the Accursed ' would be on good terms with the big guy :smith:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Phrosphor posted:

Can anyone recommend some good start locations and times for a new player? I have been doing the Irish 1066 start but I would like to try something different. I gave Iceland a go but it was a really bad idea. Preferably something small but able to expand, a lot of the suggested starts by the game are a little overwhelming, it took me 2 weeks to work exactly what I need to do just to switch to primogeniture with conclave enabled.

I'm currently finishing a Hispania run that's going pretty well. Started off as a two-bit sheikh in Southern Spain in the Charlemagne start, and as of ~1200, I'm god-badshah of just about everything from Iceland to the Baltic Sea. It's a decent start with a lot of room for growth, especially if you haven't played as a Muslim yet.

Kind of strange, though- the Catholic and Fraticelli Popes, neither of whom owns any land or has much in the way of followers, keep calling Crusades against me over and over again. With literally no armies, as I've pretty much wiped out Christendom. I've just been waiting out the clock as the warscore keeps ticking upward in my favor, then taking the prestige/piety bump and decadence reset, but it gets kind of annoying. Of course they won't surrender til it's at a full 100%, and I can't go on Hajj, observe Ramadan or a bunch of other things while I'm technically at war. I like to imagine they're just making mean faces in my direction until they get bored and call it a day

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

binge crotching posted:

Unfortunately they made a change a couple of versions back that let unlanded popes still call crusades, so you end up with this kind of thing. You're best off letting them have a single holding somewhere and then just immediately siege it down when they crusade you. I have a nomad game where I've just parked 5k horses in Rome that are there purely to siege him down every couple of years when he randomly declares war.

Huh. I'm kind of tempted to give them neighboring lovely tribal counties in Finland or something just to see what happens.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Oh dear me posted:

I love tanistry in the early game, but it's a terrible disaster if anyone with a different culture could possibly inherit, as they revert to gavelkind. Which really seems wrong to me: what happened to new rulers not being able to change rules until they've reigned for 10 years?

A thing that always bugged me is how regents can force you to lower your Crown Authority multiple times, one right after the next, but you, as a ruler, can only change it once in your whole lifetime. And unfortunately, in that case, if the regent does it on your behalf, it still counts as your decision. My own frickin' mother instituted Autonomous Vassals last time I was in a regency, wtf mom?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

It'll be a Steam Christmas sale purchase for sure. I've been holding off, because despite the shameful amount of hours I've put into this game, I'm still not very good at it, and from the sound of things Conclave can add frustration as well as delightful horse antics. Still, may as well go all in, I suppose

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

My current goal, as the god-badshah of mega-Hispania, is basically "kill whitey"

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

RagnarokAngel posted:

Dude, NMS that poo poo.

Say what you will about how ugly it is, but that poo poo is GREAT if you're playing as Umayyad. Just one Invasion cb after another until all of Western Europe is yours

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Chakan posted:

Yeah, immortal characters can still die on the battlefield, in duels, assassinations, and the like.

My immortal character, by the end, was a blind, one-handed, one-legged, insane werewolf eunuch with half a face. I got really sick of playing him after a while and actively tried to get him killed, but dude just kept on truckin'.

Crow Jane fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 18, 2016

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Has anyone ever NOT debased the coins in that Business focus event? I usually give dudes that concentration just to pad my coffers with that sweet fake gold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

I've had decent luck playing as the Sultan of Hispania in the Charlemagne start. You start with a good-sized army and lots of income, and both Shia North Africa and Catholic Asturias are pretty ripe for the picking. Once Francia splits up in a decade or so, you can basically stomp all over Europe with holy wars and invasions, and before you know it you'll be building camel riding grounds in Norway. Muslims are easier than Catholics in some ways and harder in others, but are well worth trying if you haven't yet.

• Locked thread