Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

The clans look great. Nomads look like the perfect mix of republican internal politics and tribal warmongering. :hist101:

As for Mani as a Zoroastrian heresy, welp. It's not really accurate but it doesn't really bother me too much as I have a hard time seeing both religions becoming relevant at the same time anyway. The Uyghur expansion gives me hope that the faith will be filled out some, but worst case scenario I'll just convert to Buddhism and pretend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

So far so good. The horde mechanics are like the perfect blend between tribes and republics, and I honestly can't see myself playing anywhere outside of the steppes for the next several games.

That said, the fact that Manichaeism has no mechanics seems like less of a nuisance and more of an actual problem now that the Uyghurs are present in all their glory. Especially since the fuckers keep taunting me with missionaries. I guess they make for a decent Zoroastrian game, but otherwise? :shrug: The proximity of Buddhism at least makes for some neat horde possibilities along with Zoroastrianism, Judaism in the Old Gods start, and maybe Zunism if you can haul rear end to Afghanistan.

Is that Monotheism Rising mod any good? I tried it once and it crashed anytime I played as a Jewish ruler, so I never really formed an opinion on it.

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

While it's been fun playing as an unstoppable horde, I'm glad they're working on nerfs already. As the Khazars owning most but not all of the steppes (missing the Uyghur area and the Tarim if that counts) I was still able to poo poo stomp the Abbasid's holy war on me with next to no effort. Maybe that's a good and fair thing when it comes to defending the steppes, but it also means that I've eradicated almost every other altaic culture by 810 or so.

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

The After the End devs have stated that they want the Amerindians in Texas/Oklahoma to be settled and feudal, ruling over a majority white population.

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

It would definitely spice up the Lakotah, though, who currently exist as an easy crusade target and little else.

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

CK2+ was updated and went ahead and threw Silk Road style trade routes all over the map. How much of a slowdown does that cause? It definitely feels like I'm slowing down much earlier than vanilla. I mean, do the vikings really need more incentives and rewards for raiding.

Oh, and if any AtE devs see this, what caused the change in Baja California's religion? I think the move to Cetic was definitely a good one and has made for a really fun game so far as a sort of 'outsider' Californian kingdom.

LaSalsaVerde fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 22, 2015

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

Vichan posted:

I'm about to give After the End another go and want to play as the country/ies with the most fleshed out mechanics, any recommendations?

Any "ports" of vanilla religions are going to have most of the same features. Catholic for obvious reasons is pretty full of content. Ursuline too, and they both get crusades. The Norse are a blast because you can raid up and down the Mississippi and Great Lakes iirc

Americanists have pilgrimages and the Presidency, where any Americanist can be elected the head of the religion.

Miclantec has a lot of cool things currently. They get vision quests like a lot of other religions, but they also get to have sacrifices and your rulers can become avatars of various gods.

Sagrado Corazon just got some new content, like being able to challenge people to a luchador duel :black101:.

And Cetic California is in the middle of a political clusterfuck, which is an interesting challenge. They get a unique government type that allows for free ducal revocation, Buddhist sin-removal ambitions, and four philosophical paths that work like the Dharmic sects. Probably my favorite area to play in already, and the West Coast is a pretty recent addition. The Great Lakes comes close though.

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

I've definitely gotten wrong culture/religion tributaries to join my wars. It's very unlikely that they will not. They're also much less ornery than regular vassals.

edit: kinda beaten. I think it is possible for them to turn you down but the "Tributary" modifier for their decision is a pretty hefty weight

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

Honestly? Never. Your potential is pretty much always better by remaining as a horde. Only settle if you want to change things up, because it's never going to be justified in terms of effectiveness.

In that case, what are some pointers on when and where to do it? After a couple games messing around in the steppe region, I've realized I still think of nomads very similarly to how I think of tribes. You know, a transitory stage.

Will steppe provinces near your chosen settlement become feudal/iqta/republican if you have a high enough population?

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

Gantolandon posted:

I'm thinking about giving CK2+ another try. Is it worth it?

It adds a lot of content, has a cool faction systems, tends to make blobs less stable. I like almost every change they've made but it runs very, very slowly for me. I don't know if I could manage a game longer than a hundred years or so.

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

Someone do a challenge run where you make sure every heir you have is the result of adultery. A whole dynasty of cuckolds. Hell, make it an achievment.

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

Your theory is correct. It breaks when either your character or the tribute character dies. Just smack them and put them back.

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

It has Zoroastrian influence, but it also has equally significant Christian, Gnostic, and Buddhist influence.

So no not really

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

Africa DLC tia, do it all in one fell swoop.

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

A well done African DLC would make playing an African Muslim/Copt at least distinct enough to merit the choice, as well as make West African Pagans more interesting of course.

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

I wish Finnic pagans were fun. You already have to deal with their lovely stretches of arctic forest poo poo land and poo poo troops.

edit: it's all thanks to Unreal World, actually, that I want to play them so bad.

LaSalsaVerde fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 5, 2015

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

in 1066? Castile's court pretty sure

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

gfanikf posted:

I haven't noticed it, but then again there are other sources to borrow from.
:jewish:

I did notice expelling them will mess with your tech levels too, which I'm sure existed before, but I hadn't noticed it.

This, along with papal mechanics like excommunication and claiming titles, really need to be revisited. It's at the point where I just don't play Catholics, they're way too slow and dull for their unique mechanics to be so hard to use properly

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

Skellybones posted:

After the End is updated to work with Conclave and features some new stuff like South America and Newfoundland.

Best mod just keeps getting better. Shame about the pdox thread being filled with people's lovely suggestions.

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Are there any religions in After The End that use the decadence mechanics yet?

Nope. Doubt they're planning on using them either.

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

Normal Adult Human posted:

The republic of Detroit is pretty fun.

Seconding. You can form a Fylkir-like secular and religious title, a unique empire, fight vikings and Canadians... the Great Lakes is very fun and active.

Americanists have a lot of content and can interact with Consumerists. The East Coast might be the best but Rushmore, Gitmo, and the Floridan Americanists would make for a good challenge.

Miclantec has a lot of love. Event chains where you become the avatar of a god, awesome cultural units. Raiding and sacrificing. I hope the other Mesoamerican faiths get similar attention soon. Even Sagrado Corazón feels a little sparse right now, though you can have Luchador fights and that should never be underappreciated.

Also, as a note, I recommend playing as native americans of basically any religion because they get cultural access to vision quests if I'm not mistaken, which are normally restricted to certain religions. And vision quests are awesome.

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Heh, why stick to Geheimnisnacht and it's lifeless factions

Geheimnisnacht has some very content rich races to play, but there's so much available and it is, after all, a mod. So yes, Skaven, Ogres, Beastmen all kind of suck, but Chaos, Vampires, Empire, even Bretonnia/ChaosDwarves are all pretty developed.

quote:

when you can boot up After the End enjoy playing a Paiute Mormon and... still not get too many events. But at least there's something. Stole the Kingdom of Idaho from the Anthophiles after about my fourth revolt with the same ruler.

I also love After the End but it has the same problem. It is a mod, and a lot of the religions and cultures are almost completely devoid of content. Look at Mesoamerica some time. Still an awesome mod, can't really fault it for developing slowly when it is entirely out of free time.

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

StarMinstrel posted:

Heh. That looks really good and entertaining :) Thanks!

It is really good. As is Groogy's.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3642949&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

and i'm too lazy to link but the Goon Hansa one is choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

I even like that portrait pack and have set out to play a Dravidian several times only to remember that the subjugation casus belli is culture-group restricted and Indo-Aryan covers a much larger portion of India.

• Locked thread