Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
are merchant families locked into agnatic-cognatic? i changed secession law in the republic to cognatic, now it looks like my first child (daughter) will inherit the patricianship while my second child (son) will inherit all the castles and cities i've collected

if i have to i'll just cheat the change back but my eldest is pretty cool, she's a brave fortune builder with five virtues and my eldest son is strong but ill and cowardly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Torrannor posted:

If I recall correctly, then merchant republics are hardcoded to agnatic, meaning no woman can ever inherit the republic. I don't know how you managed to chance the secession law to cognatic. If you did it through the console, you will probably experience some weirdness when your character dies and the game sorts out the inheritance. Save, kill your character through the console, and see what happens.

playing with the after the fall mod, i've since changed it back to avoid splitting the republic but my first daughter (who i've since married off to the prince of a powerful kingdom) is pretty cheesed off and is trying to kill me, even though she's still displayed as heir of the other duchy that i added to the republic. whoops! good thing we're lovely at intrigue as a family

e: welp, she died of pneumonia. guess that takes care of that

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jun 10, 2015

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
been having a lot of fun with after the end again. just now noticed bermuda for the first time and gently caress it's fun to pirate the east coast

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
looking for some more fun after the end characters to play. i've done:

-republic of gotham
-kingdom of gran francisco
-duchy of tuskeegee
-tribe of geeyem
-commodore of bermuda

i like to start small and get big

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
thanks for the suggestions :)

Ofaloaf posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=846781077

Someone made a submod for After the End... set during the apocalypse which we'd been trying hard to not describe or anything at all?

:psyduck:

Is it even kosher to link to Github like that from the Steam Workshop?

have yall considered repurposing the hurricane mechanic to add tornados to the midwest? is it possible to mod that even?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Zaphod42 posted:

So I hit a demesne limit... seems like a pretty big deal. Everybody hates me. So I gave some provinces to my vassals which helped, but feels REALLY bad. I just gained these lands and now I'm giving them away? I mean, I guess they're supposed to be loyal to me, but its still awkward. I guess that's the thing though, learning how to play your agents against each other and keep them working towards your own goals.

Having my vassals war each other feels bizzare. Historically I guess its accurate though. As a King am I just kinda supposed to allow my Dukes to go to war as they will? If this guy conquers that guy, whatever eh? Am I free to join either side, or is it against the rules for the king to play favorites? I did see how eventually you can pass laws to restrict that, but I'm not there yet.

the thing that makes crusader kings unique and excellent is that it's not just a strategy mapgame, it's an involved human resources and conflict resolution / interpersonal drama generation engine. you're going to gain and lose land, don't worry about it - your dynasty's social status is more important

Zaphod42 posted:

Is there a way to like, invest or create a new vassal rather than giving lands to one of your existing ones?

yeah, you can grant land to anyone in your court. you should typically avoid granting land to your existing vassals because it makes them stronger. so long as you're under your vassal limit it's generally better to have ten weak vassals than three strong ones. old, childless members of court or celibate/eunuchs are good candidates because when they die, you inherit the title again and maybe you'll have a higher demense limit or some family to pass the title along to. for individual holdings there's a little "create vassal" button which will automatically generate a new vassal character, for when you've inherited a holding of the wrong type

for a king, rule of thumb is that you should hold two duchies and every county/barony in those duchies, to concentrate your personal levy. your dukes, on the other hand, should hold as few counties as possible within their duchies so that they have their own jerk vassals to deal with

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
haha just had a cool thing happen as the king of new england. the one dude i wasn't able to subjugate before i crowned myself was the theurge of vermont. he had three provinces and i needed something to parcel out among my heirs, so i did three sucessive de jure wars against him

in the first war, he lost his hand

in the second war, he lost his eye

in the third war, he was disfigured

to top it all off, i came down with the flu during the battle. which then spread to his last province. which the guy contracts. after i take his last scrap of land i check in on him in exile and sure enough, a few days after he was exiled he dies of the flu my king brought to his doorstep. drat

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i'm playing after the end as the king of michigan. i've successfully inherited the detroit merchant republic. the trade post in detroit now has no holder and belongs to nobody. how do i get rid of it?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i'm playing after the end for ck2, i've forrmed the kingdoms of ohio and chicagoland and i'm taking michigan apart bit by bit so i can become emperor of the great lakes. i declared a great holy war against the remnants of michigan since my king is old and feeble and i want him to get the imperial crown before he dies since i'm probably going to lose the elective crown of chicagoland to a relative. but instead of usurping michigan like i thought, instead i just depose the old king and his heir takes the throne of michigan with no titles changing to my realm? all i did was basically push this guy's claim? the hell? i dont know what base religion the reformed rust cult maps to in the mod

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Main Paineframe posted:

Was the heir a member of your religion? Claimants of the proper religion get first dibs on titles on in a crusade/jihad/great holy war.

i'll have to check, but probably - i'm reformed rust cult (pagan?) beating up on my neighboring unreformed rust cult rival, using holy wars while i can to take big chunks out of him. so it's likely that at least a couple members of his dynasty are reformed as well

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

CascadeBeta posted:

I'm assuming the after the end mod is also still fantastic? One I burn through playing all the ck2 and expansion stuff, then I'm going to start jumping to mods.

after the end has a few rough spots but it's completely amazing especially if you're a north american who doesn't know much about medieval european history and so a decent amount of the vanilla CK2 setting is opaque to you

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

spectralent posted:

How does ATE work?

it's a total conversion mod that completely replaces everything - characters, the map, nations, religion, it's all stripped down and rebuilt

the basic idea is a cataclysm happened in north america sometime in the 20th century, it doesn't matter what happened, but time has passed and it's the year 2666 now and society has redeveloped to the point of middle ages feudalism. it's all just a thin excuse to move the gameplay of ck2 to the north american continent

in my current ATE game i was playing as paul mahonic, chief of boston, who is the last of his name. the mahonics were once (in game history) mighty kings of new england before they got their asses beat by the rodhams of hudsonia (new york state) and the kingdom shattered into squabbling occultist tribes (think pagans who care way too much about secret societies and hp lovecraft). paul of boston is the last feudal leader in the area and, though he swears vassalage to the tribal high chief of nogad, it's pretty trivial to reunite new england as mahonic and after a decade i was well on my way

then, the consumerist uprising happened in the republic of gotham. the merchant princes of manhattan and brooklyn, normally followers of the old world americanist cult (worship lincoln, jefferson, and washington as divine beings) were completely outmatched by the consumerist horde (basically the rise of islam, except they worship the Almighty Dollar). consumerist gotham then kept getting into scraps with the anabaptist kingdoms of hudsonia and dietscheri (german pennsylvania) while i gobbled up the rest of new england, crowned myself king, and put my many, many sons on the ducal thrones of new england by continually goading my conquered vassals into rebelling. my sons are now independently seeking land and glory by pushing into the kingdoms of ursuline quebec (catholic, but with a lady pope) and bashing on the poor, wretched newfies of the kingdom of the maritimes

meanwhile i dismantled consumerist gotham through a series of holy wars and am currently the lord of connecticut as well as manhattan, long island, and most of new jersey. i needed to snatch the country of poughkeepsie for the holy site, sleepy hollow, which is essential to the occultist religion and the next to last piece i need to reform the faith and crown myself as the Supreme Orient. i also snatched the young king of hudsonia's beautiful wife and forced her into concubinage, so he's pretty pissed at me - hopefully mad enough to declare on me so that i can beat him again without having to fight the anabaptist realms in a holy war

of course, my subjects found a mysterious metal box which i had my tinkers study. after months of work they were able to open the box, which to my delight contained an old world "hand gun" used to slay men from a great distance. this relic, though fragile, is still extremely powerful and brings me great prestige as well as allows me to call myself king paul "thunderhand" of new england. so yeah, i'm pretty ready for the king of hudsonia to show his face on the battlefield again

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SlothfulCobra posted:

What's the learning curve on Republics? I get the sense that there's a lot of dealing with them in After the End.

I feel like I still need to unsnare my current game that I've been going on before going off to dick around in a mod.

republics dont have the same prestige or authority that feudal rulers do ,you're basically a jumped up commoner with a fat wallet. you will control a firehose of money and you'll need to spend that money to do basically anything

republics have an unchangeable elective succession for the primary holder, which is you vs. four other patrician families. you will always be able to see the heir to the republic, which is based off prestige - basically how long the main member of a family has been alive. you can swap prestige for gold, bribing your way into power, but this is not an ideal use of your money hose. if you lose the election it sucks for you but it's not game over

you own one offmap holding, your family palace. this is because you can lose the republic election and technically have no holdings on the map. this is not great but it happens sometimes. you can eventually end up holding land or titles that aren't associated with the republic title itself (usually a duchy and a city as the primary holding), so even if you lose the republic you can have a nice base of power. it may even be to your advantage to lose the election once in a while because then you can declare war on the other families to grab their trade posts, which you can't do if you are leader of the republic

murder all the other patricians, as often as you can. ABC, Always Be sCheming. when you murder an entire family a new family is generated from scratch with very little assets. murder them too if you can. this makes winning elections much simpler

republics get more money from large trade zones. build your trade zone starting from your capital province outwards. it is far better to have one contiguous trade zone than a bunch of scattered little trade zones. if you have a trade post in someone else's land you have a CB to seize a city in that province, and then the province itself so republics can expand via warfare. war as a republic is basically throwing money at retinues and mercenaries altho you can hold castles without penalty to build out a levy

in after the end the most fun republics are:

gotham, new york city. watch out for anabaptist hudsonia to the north, in terms of game lore they're not "supposed" to attack new york but there's nothing preventing this from happening iirc. gotham is part of the small americanist cult centered around washington dc, it's usually not hard to form the kingdom of gotham and move up to a merchant kingdom (grand republic) if you spend enough time beating on new jersey, just watch it with the holy wars because you're adjacent to two powerful christian kingdoms and the christian duke of connecticut

orleans, in new orleans. has the voodoo religion, which lets you zombify people. voodoo is pretty small tho and you're right next door to the holy columbian confederacy, an evangelical empire that loves to delcare holy wars on all of its neighbors. luckily half the time the HCC collapses due to political turmoil and there's an event that can tank evangelicism through reformation. but a powerful, zealous HCC can ruin your day as orelans. also the catholics of the midwest and the pope in st. louis love to declare crusades on the voodoo king of louisiane which is annoying

cartagena in south america, starts off pretty powerful and iirc you have the pirate religion which has some fun events :yarr:

detroit. rust cultist religion, pagans who can go on salvage pilgrimages of the factories of the north for goodies like typewriters and guns. detroit can be powerful and make a play for the kingdom of michigan but it's usually a clusterfuck of brawling pagans, like 90% of the time either the tribe of geeyem or michiana form the crown. very exciting but difficult start just because of all the loving subjugation wars, constantly

less fun republics:

superior. norse pagans tucked away at the tip of lake superior, at the very end of the trade node. basically just subjugate and raid your neighbors, kind of annoying as a republic though because you're always shutting off your own trade route because of wars

chesapeake in norfolk. you pretty much will get vassalized by the HCC immediately, but you can make a play for the kingdom of virginia or columbia (the DC metro) if you play your cards right

if you want to start as a vassal republic, you can be los angeles (who has a good map position and can dominate the california coast) who is vassal to the king of socal, or miami (similar strong position in the caribbean) who is vassal to the empress of the caribbean, but things fall apart pretty quickly after she dies and you can try to form the kingdom of florida

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Technowolf posted:

Isn't one of the patrician families there the Waynes?

yeah, it's all batman references. another family is the cobblepots

after the end is full of little jokey references like this. the mercenary company in gotham is the shaolin company with the wutang logo, headed by grandmaster flash. the nearby ducal city state of philadelphia is ruled by duke dennis the drunkard of house reynolds, and his sister deandra, half brother carrol, and father franklin are also present (all low stat drunks as well). princess kaitlin of house beaton is queen of the maritimes, etc. like 2/3s of all the mercenary companies are sports teams like the brave men of atlanta, the giant men of san francisco, the arborite wolverines out of michigan, etc.

binge crotching posted:

And I think they are anabaptist, which is the most boring religion in AtE.

i think they were in a previous release but they're americanists now which spices things up a bit

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

FELD1 posted:

I'm getting a few generations into my game as Michiana, and it's been pretty fun. The Great Lakes region seems pretty hectic, but I guess that applies to a lot of the areas on the map.

the rust belt and old northwest - basically everything from western pennsylvania to nebraska, and from kentucky to upper ontario, are all various flavors of pagans who get wild casus bellis to constantly attack each other so it's a huge loving thunderdome until one big dog emerges as king and eventually emperor

personally i prefer the tribe of the burning river because you're tucked off in a corner of the great lakes thunderdome and you can easily snatch detroit and pittsburg (yohogania) to add to your holy site in cincinnati to form the great factory of the reformed rust cult. any michigan start has to grab chicago, detroit, and then cincy which means fighting at least one unified kingdom typically, where the king of ohio can quickly gobble up detroit and whoever gets pittsburgh, i want to say the duchy of alleghenia?

FELD1 posted:

Haven't had much luck with salvage yet, but I guess I'll keep trying if it is an actual lucrative venture?

totally, but you have to keep doing it. the odds of getting anything good are low but you can go on a pilgrimage every year and you should be doing it as often as possible. there's like a 50% chance (these are my estimates) you don't get anything or just useless trinkets, about a 45% chance you get some token relic like old world glass or an engine block or something for some prestige, and a 5% chance you get one of the real treasures like a telescope, a typewriter, a stack of books, or even a gun if you're lucky enough. each of these gives fat bonuses to stats and prestige, and the gun basically allows you to just straight up murder opposing commanders in battle like "do you want this guy to die y/n"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SlothfulCobra posted:

I added to that by inheriting Ursuline territory, which is all tribal, and I'm not sure how to push it towards feudalism.

build the level 4 fort and you get an option to convert the holding to a castle, or a level 4 city if you want to convert it to a town. it may be worth your time to spend prestige first on the holding upgrades as those convert too (read the tooltips carefully to see what they convert into)

SlothfulCobra posted:

From the honorary titles, it looks like it was some kind of reskinned version of Islam, there's a lot of weird titles that say they go back to the Abbasids, but more importantly, no option for court eunuch or court dwarf.

this is a bug - the abbasid titles, not the court eunuch or dwarf (those are only for kingdom level titles for most religions)

make sure your ck2 and ate are both up to date

anabaptists are a super boring variant of christianity, they're not "supposed" to do holy wars but actually removing the holy war CB would make them even more boring. anabaptists are like quakers or mennonites, you're supposed to sit around and be peaceful. gently caress that. the evangelism heresy was because if evangelical MA gets low enough (which is likely to happen if the holy columbian emperor doesn't react to the evangelical reformation) then high church (canadian anglicanism) becomes the core legitimate belief of protestant christianity and evangelicism becomes the heresy

anabaptists don't get anything cool. no raids, no concubines, no spirit quests, nothing. it's just sit around and worship god style protestantism. lame!

Deceitful Penguin posted:

About the empires: there's an optional modmod that has a buncha different empires in there. Worth taking a gander at it; I know that there's some real keepers in there~

Also yeah, Rust Cultists are pretty cool but very irritating they don't get a Fylkir like the Norse. I'll always fondly remember planting my dynasty in random Kingdoms, starting with Jamaica and ending with Deseret

yeah get the expanded empires modmod

also rust cultists get the high fabricator or something like that now, im not sure if that's the emperor title or what. but the rust cultist religious leader gets the brotherhood of steel logo from fallout as their standard and i think the rust cultist holy order is the brotherhood of steel as well

FELD1 posted:

Cool, I'll keep trying then. I didn't realize that you could make the pilgrimage annually. Probably because I've been busy in almost constant warfare for a few lifetimes now, but things are starting to calm down now that I've established myself as the regional power. Having a gun sounds like it'd be really handy.

yeah if you're constantly at war you might miss it. i like to go on salvage runs in between wars when i'm letting my levy rebuild

the gun is OP as heck but it's fragile and hard to get

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Bloody Pom posted:

The Github for AtE hasn't had a single commit since early August. Are people taking a break from working on it?

it's basically "done" and only being updated for new patches. like when m&m came out they made AtE items compatible with the treasury mechanic but then never got around to adding societies

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SlothfulCobra posted:

Is there any good way to take apart a powerful vassal? One of my vassals managed to grab a hold of 3 separate dukedoms, and after imprisoning in a revolt, I can only revoke one of them without getting a big opinion malus for all my other vassals. To make things worse, the duchy I revoked turned out to be the one he owned all the individual counties of, so I can't destroy the title or hand it off to a vassal.

if you can't keep rabbit punching them with provoke/imprison/revoke then you'll have to bite the bullet and strip their titles for the tyrant hit, or if they have weak heirs imprison them and oubliette them. see if you can weaken their heirs through murder

SlothfulCobra posted:

Hell, even the computer can do it. In my Connecticut game, the lands to the east of me kept flashing between realms and rulers until it became New England a couple decades in.

It's a real pain, because while disunited pagans are real nice to take bites out of, an entire united New England is terrible to fight. Lots of mostly worthless provinces for the New English army to hide in, and if there's actual defenses built up in any of them, then the supply limit easily gets smaller than the minimum amount of troops required to siege.

chief paul of boston rarely manages to form the kingdom because he's a vassal of the nogad tribe at the start and despite his young age and monster stats the ai is not great at the sort of sneaky thinking you need to get out from under that burden

someone usually forms the kingdom though, as well as the other major pagan kingdoms (ohio, michigan, superior) just because the pagan subjugation cb means that the pagans can just beat each other raw until a king emerges, and usually it's whoever is able to take advantage of their marginally better position relative to their neighbors and snowball hardest

when you're fighting tribals remember two things

-tribal holdings are super easy to assault, way easier than castles
-build forts for 20g a pop when you're sieging to prevent attrition from wasting your forces. forts are on the same panel as hospitals and trade posts and really all they do is increase the supply limit in hostile territory

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
yeah vermont is a dick because aside from boston the lands of theurge increase are the only new england holdings at game start that aren't tribal, so you can't just blitz them and you have to suffer through the pagan attrition bonus and the awful new england winters. and iirc one of the counties in southern vermont is just two castles. gently caress off

keep in mind that forts aren't permanent, you're really just spending a bit of gold to modify the attrition penalty in hostile lands and this is best explained or fit in to existing game mechanics as an offmap holding

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 9, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i fatfingered it and botched the chance to get a screenshot, but i just ran into a fun event bug

in after the end there are pilgrimage event chains. i was on a pilgrimage to a holy site belonging to a hostile infidel lord, but i also owned the city in that county. i was refused entry to the temple, and snuck past the walls. after doing so i was alerted that a foreign lord, me, was sneaking in past the walls in my demense. i immediately had myself imprisoned, and i was about to try to execute myself when i hit pause break instead of f12

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jedit posted:

I have a problem with nomads and tribals. I conquer the land no trouble, but then I have to build a Castle or City in the county to keep it past my own lifetime. Except I can't. Sometimes I can build a Temple, but apart from that it always says "You must build one of each type of holding first". What is going on?

nomads and tribals have special holding rules

nomads dont care about normal holdings, they don't collect taxes iirc. you can build temples but nothing else. tribals are just a special kind of feudal, where your holding isn't organized into castles, cities etc. you can convert a tribe to a castle or city by building the appropriate buildings in the tribe. you can't convert a tribe to a temple so i'm guessing you're allowed to build temples but not cities/castles

in both cases, i think you need to build the fort upgrades (or town/city upgrades if you want to make a city) and you convert the holding itself to a feudal castle or town

in a normal feudal province, you must have a city, temple, and castle before you're allowed to choose which of the others you build. so if i have a province has a castle and a city, the only thing i can build there is a temple and then once i have the basic trio i can just build nothing but castles after that or whatever

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 15, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SlothfulCobra posted:

So, any suggestions for another After the End game? Rust Cultism and Americanism look neat, but I kind of want to do the next thing far, far away from the northeast geography or the Great Lakes raiding deathblob. Alternatively, is there a good first ironman run to get started on getting achievements? I might try my hand at that.

reforming the empire of california is a fun try, you can also try the duchy of portland > kingdom of cascadia but the enatic matriarchy of the gaians conflicts a bit with default game rules. king cullen of gran francisco is fun if you want to get in endless fights with raiders. duke huey of tuskeegee in alabama is a powerful vassal to the holy columbian confederacy who has growth potential if you want to play HRE politics (before you unpause, take out a loan and immediately create the duchy of birmingham). the mormon king of deseret is sort of fun if you like beating on tribals

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BBJoey posted:

is after the end still being worked on?

as i understand it, it's "done" more or less and they just maintain it for the current versions. like there are no secret societies in AtE but it is 2.7.2 compliant

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
so i stopped my AtE games and tried a game in vanilla as harald fairhair and i've been wildly successful, far beyond my previous attempts. managed to form norway, sweden, and denmark in 12 years due to some lucky AI behavior and reformed the viking faith a few years after that. now i'm on track to be the scandinavian emperor before the age of 40. so now i need to figure out how to not have this save file broken by the new patch

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Crow Jane posted:

Add in the cats, dogs, owls and parrots you can get in events, and your whole council could potentially be animals. I imagine things would probably go to hell pretty fast, but at least the council screen would be adorable :3:

i got the event where if you have an intrigue cat and a hunting dog at the same time they fight and you can gamble on them becoming friends or not (mine became friends :3)

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
- Fixed infinite cuckolding, your cuckolding victim will now only slightly hate you and not infinitely hate you

drat. i loved cuckolding a guy beyond time and space

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i've had a wildly successful AtE game as the merchant empire of gotham (nyc, jersey, and connecticut). started gobbling up the kingdom of hudsonia (upstate new york) one duchy at a time until i was able to form the gotham empire, and in my spare time i've been pushing into pagan new england. i've got the king of hudsonia on the ropes, soon i will take his last de jure duchy (adirondack) and form the empire state, which is like a superkingdom? kingdom/empire hybrid?

unfortunately years ago i helped a cadet branch of my family take the kingdom of columbia, and they did a prepared invasion of alleghenia, so i have a big powerful "ally" on my border who i need to figure out how to absorb so i can form the empire of america (basically rome) and really start snowballing

empire republics are sick, i have a standing retinue of 18k soldiers so i never really have to touch my 20k personal levies or like 8k vassal levies. and even if i do raise all my troops, so long as i dont raise any boats i'm still making money, it just drops my income from 180/month to a mere 40/month

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Peas and Rice posted:

I've been balls deep in EU4 for the last couple of years, and I'm looking for a new fun challenge. How hard will it be for me to pick up this game?

not very, once you get the hang of feudalism and all the little quirks of ck2 like how to marriage and when to stab

pick up the conclave and way of life dlc for sure and then you can add others to taste

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dongattack posted:

Do commander traits such as Siege Leader and Organizer stack?

yep

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Peas and Rice posted:

Am I using my council correctly? This is my Venice game and I’ve got a whole four counties now...

My Chancellor is either trying to fabricate a claim on whatever I want to conquer next or improving diplomatic relations.

My Marshal is researching military tech in Venice.

My Steward is collecting taxes in Venice.

My Spymaster is stealing tech.

My Chaplain is researching in Venice.

Is there a better way to use them?

good move with the chancellor

marshal should almost always as a merchant republic be doing the retinue boost. if you're feudal, do the levy boost. researching tech is slightly pointless in this game, especially if you're a merchant republic

collecting taxes is a good idea but consider putting your worst steward in the role and let the peasants beat him to death. as a merchant republic you want to Always Be Killing your rival house members and giving them a sucker's job like "go get money from the peasants, and don't get beaten to death" is a good soft way to kill off some guy without scheming

same thing with the spymaster. if you dont need to boost a plot to murder someone (Always Be Killing, All Day, All Of The Time. a merchant republic is trivial to hold on to if you are forever murdering your rivals) then put some poor condemned fool in the job and send him off to be murdered

your chaplain is better off kissing the pope's rear end, especially since you're so close to rome. also a big priority is converting heathen lands you've conquered

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Peas and Rice posted:

Maybe this is a dumb question, but what should I be doing if not taking lands? I’ve got about 50 ducats a month in income, a 3900-troop retinue, and my levies can give me another 7000. Seems like a great time to go bonk some heads.

(I’d originally envisioned exporting this game to EU4 with possessions that finally allow me to colonize the Americas as Venice without cheating.)

basically my priority list for spending as a merchant republic is:

-can i build the trade city improvements in any of my trade posts?
-have i maxed out my trade posts?
-can i upgrade my palace to give me more gold or trade posts?
-am i a banker?
-can i expand the garrisons on any of my trade posts?
-can i expand the ports or trade infrastructure on any of my trade posts?
-do i have a massive scary retinue?
-can i expand any of my holdings?
-can i expand any hospitals?

if you're not conquering (once you snowball it's pretty easy to bite off more than you can chew) then you should be reinvesting your money in your lands to get more money and more mans. as you expand, try to make sure all of your vassals are cities too - make them deal with the penalty for being a city liege to a feudal vassal

50 ducats a month is nothing for a merchant republic. once you're on an unstoppable path you should be getting closer to 500

in my after the end game i'm steamrolling most of the northeast as the merchant emperor of new york city. my personal retinue is close to 25k troops, i pretty much never have to touch my personal levies let alone raise my vassals

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Weavered posted:

And Civ5?

units that turn into transports make more sense from a gameplay perspective, especially if there's no naval combat

ck2 at least gives you boats so you know how ungodly expensive they are

Ofaloaf posted:

Go with the Github version for now. Progress... progress has been slow.

im not good at github, is AtE only up to date as of 2.7.2? i only ask because i'm grinding out a game as the empire state trying to reform america and it would be so useful to vassal war the king of columbia

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

pseudodragon posted:

Running a merchant republic and deciding whether it’s cheaper to murder my opponent or rig the election makes me feel like a real politician.

my biggest struggle as a merchant republic is if it's easier to murder my rivals directly or to murder their children so the house withers on the vine

or playing murder musical chairs so my one heretic house eventually inherits a trade post so i can war for the city in that holding, revoke it for religious reasons, then murder the heretic

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

really queer Christmas posted:

Has after the end been updated for Jade Dragon?

nope, still 2.7.2 as of yet. which sucks as the force vassal CB would be super nice

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
stewards collecting taxes too, because there's a chance they'll scrounge up a pile of ducats before they're beaten to death by an angry mob of peasants

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

binge crotching posted:

Ran out of heirs? Play a concubine / polygamy religion so you never have that problem. It's also useful to land an uncle or two as vassal dukes so they keep popping out potential heirs too.

yeah once you get the ball rolling and expanding as a republic you can seed useless males as vassal barons tucked away somewhere so your dynasty keeps growing. you can pull the produced heirs into your court if you need to boost your trade limit or just seed them somewhere else

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Xinder posted:

No, this was definitely a bug because the trade posts were projecting gray trade zones with the name of a family that no longer exists and screwing up my Republic's trade zones. When I checked them out they had no liege and therefore could not be usurped or attacked or anything. They just existed. Here I even took a screenshot at one point.

another possibility is that ownership of the trade posts devolved somehow to lowborn republican vassal counts, who have no family dynasty, although i've really only seen that with overland trade routes and not coastal posts

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Maigius posted:

Anyone have any tips for using boats? ? I really don't get the process of using them.

like a fire extinguisher: leave it alone until you absolutely have to use it, and then, only for as long as it takes to deal with the problem

boats are expensive as poo poo so unless you need to move some troops across water, dont use them

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

mrfreeze posted:

Slightly different question: I said screw it and plopped down the $80 for the full package since it was on sale. But since I have never touched any of these games before, is it best to just start with the base game and add expansions once I'm familiar with it? I Had fun last night with everything turned on but had no clue what the hell I was actually doing.

nah, most of the content just unlocks various other people to play as that aren't catholic feudal lords. so in your average game you'll only see like, 40% of the content anyway

not knowing what you're doing is just the first dozen or so hours of ck2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
https://kotaku.com/adding-dick-sizes-to-historical-strategy-game-introduce-1823394376

• Locked thread