Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

So i haven't played the game since around the Charlemange DLCs and it's steam sale season and i have heard a lot of decent/good things about way of life... Did i have heard right? And what do i need to know in term of game mechanics changes? Are the new events good?

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

What if we had feast plots that were surprise birthday parties.
If it involves crossbow bolts being shot in the dark if the target character is paranoid does it also count as a reverse assassination plot?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Spakstik posted:

I really hope CK3 is a little less reliant on the MTTH system for some of the councilor actions, if not other parts of the game.
I want Ck3 not to have a poo poo to configure/sometime buggy message notification messages system. Also, is it asking too much to have a "ONLY LEADERS OF MY RELIGIOUS GROUP" option?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Shnooks posted:

Is the Japan mod for CKII decent?
Which one? The old Sengoku mod or Nova Monumenta Iaponiae Historica?
edit: i like the work they did with the protrait wih NMIH:

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jun 24, 2015

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

"Suspicious circumstances" means assassination always, as far as I know. You probably got whacked by someone you weren't suspecting. Sometimes AI characters just decide to kill someone for reasons that are hard to discern.
It generally involves wifes/mothers with high intrigue murdering people to favor their husbands/sons or your spymaster getting killed before s/he can reveal a plot. There is some random CRAZY and/or PARANOID factor at works too.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

DStecks posted:

Quick question: how exactly do you mean to do that? IIRC, Muslims can't matrimarry, so a patrilineal trait like sayyid is either in the dynasty from the start or never.
Can you play as non-muslim woman ruler, become a master seductress, find some poor sayyid guy target who wouldn't mind, gently caress the poo poo out of him until you have a male heir? Optionally have him come to your court and convert, marry him to a blood relative.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

TheMcD posted:

Man, if only there was a way one could disable the bad parts of HIP and keep the good ones like Project Balance, Extended Mechanics and Flavor, NBRT+ and ARKO. Too bad that will never come to pass...
You know i have read the EMF description a few times and the person writing the description of that mod is trying really hard to be as verbose a possible while doing the best job ever not telling me what the drat mod does. All i got out of the 5000 words description is "less random event adding removing traits, more choices impacting your traits". "Overhaul mod with a focus upon quality, coherency, plausibility, and dynamism" is so descriptive, how about some example of the changes in the mod so i can know if i want it. Then i realized the changelog was hidden in the fourth post.

vvvv i tried using it once, then i saw the France and Italian provinces and said NOPE, let's use the default one. I can deal with bad historical geography but oversperged map with like 6 provinces for Genoa alone? I will pass.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jul 3, 2015

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

TheMcD posted:

Yeah, that's kind of an issue. I personally found the Wiki page to be a good source of "what does this mod actually do".
Yes, that's should be in the first post, "here is a list of what we concretely change with the mod". But no i have to read 3 long posts before finding a link to a changelist.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Elias_Maluco posted:

Ive tried HIP and I prefer vanilla always.

I would love to have more events and ambitions in vanilla, but HIP seemed bloated and half-arsed to me on these things. And every other change in balance and gameplay make the game less fun to play. Same goes for (current) CK2+ too.
You do realize that HIP literally have an install executable that allow you to create the mod of your choice from all the various submods, literally asking you "do you want this submod to be part of the mod YES/NO" for each part of the mod and you can choose not to have the lovely events or the map if you don't want to?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

beefart posted:

EMF does have the "Bless With Luck" decision which loving owns. It gives a huge stat boost to any character you want, and a few other bonuses IIRC, and it's really useful for making sure poo poo stays off the rails when it goes off the rails. Successful jihad for Sicily with a Mande guy taking the land? Bless that motherfucker now.
Yeah that kind of "manipulate the game by improving other people and watch what happens" thing makes me wish that the "god mod" was something a little more subtle than "become immortal and create your angel/demon army" and was about using humans as pawn. Like there are 12 immortal landless characters going around the world receiving many regular small random generated missions they must achieve before a time limit (like "turn that useless baron fucker that can't even move into a king before he croaks" to gain more powers and it would be basically you going around murdering/loving everything in the background to become more powerful. By boosting the idiots mortal with various ability. Have each immortal represent a different archetype from the guardian christian angel/greek spirit, the puckish fairy, the Mesopotamian love&war goddess, the Booted Cat, the witch, the wish giving djinn to the Faustian devil. And occasionally have them decapitate each other immortals because in the end, there can be only one.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 3, 2015

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Robindaybird posted:

Ugh god. I almost wanted to call out all those fuckers who claimed it enhanced their historical immersion. No, the medieval period was not a god drat rape-a-thon or F.A.T.A.L, and you don't need rape to play dynasty simulator, and the mechanics seem to encourage it.

I can't believe it got a loving four-star rating on Steam.
There is a historical case of Trial by combat in France, literally the last trial by combat recorded there. Some Normand noble's wife get raped by the noble's liege (and his liege's squire too apparently) while he is away. So of course he asks for justice to the king's court despite his liege being quite powerful at court. And the judgement ends up being "well, see your wife is pregnant and since all the clergy guys tell us that procreation is divine, the sexual act couldn't have been rape since such a hateful act couldn't possible cause a pregnancy." So the noble asked for a judicial duel and killed the rapist. So yes, if you are adding rape, you better add the serious murdering you will probably get for being a dammed rapist.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jul 10, 2015

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Goofballs posted:

That's less than super but I guess I have all the viking cheevos except ritually murdering a religious head. I guess I'll roll back and get on that.

If you take Rome and the pope escapes how do you track him down if he's not your religious head?
Claimant list for Rome bishopric. I wish they made Rome a proper city and just made Vatican City the bishopric capital of the papal state.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Tehan posted:

It's not on the CK2 store page or the Steam front page, but if you check 'all new releases' it's at the top.
Yes the DLC is not for sale yet but the game is already patched.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

TTBF posted:

Did they announce any new DLC beside Horse Lords? Usually there's a portrait pack or something when new expansions are released.
There is a Horse Lord Content pack for 5$ featuring 4 army models, a portraits pack and some music. Also a ORCHESTRAL House Lords DLC. HOUSE Lords.
edit:

more edit:
This music pack includes the following songs:

01 Main Theme ( Electro Orchestral Mix)
02 Journey To Absolution ( Electro Orchestral Mix)
03 Kingdom Of Jerusalem ( Marching Epic Mix)
04 The First Crusade ( Electro Orchestral Mix)
05 Horns Of Hattin And The Aftermath ( Marching Epic Mix)

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jul 14, 2015

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

I really wish they would let us hear a few seconds preview of each of the new songs on the steam store page.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

^^^^ well they added inland trade road.

So you can have a republic with new gender laws and matrilineal marriage, nice. I wonder if the male members still only count for the trade posts.

I hope the gov type thing fix the bugs with republic inheritance where you own the wrong type of holding and get kicked out of the patrician families into nobility for no reason.

Can you mod new holdings like FAMILY_PALACE into the game now?

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 14, 2015

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

^^^^ That's some Ivan the terrible poo poo. I wish the event code would recognize when there is a family duel and would turn it into something special. Even if it ends like the Ilya Repin's painting.

Krataar posted:

Goddamnit my son is a muslim. How do I get him back to Tengri?
Either raise your reputation with him to high level (may not be possible if he is a zealot) or jail him then ask him to convert.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 16, 2015

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Arrhythmia posted:

#SunKingLyfe

i don't actually know if louis xiv's son/grandson were any good at politiking
Louis XVI was actually a pretty poo poo, short sighted, weak king, the "revolution" started with a third-estate pretty much pro-king (and slightly anti-nobility) but he went against the changes they were asking him to commit in order to prevent national bankruptcy because they would have ruined a few pf his and his wife's noble friends and rich church members. It was, among other things, about cutting the insanely large expanses of the pretty inefficient Versailles system of rulership while keeping him as head of state. In the end, he didn't even kept his head.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jun 11, 2016

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Arrhythmia posted:

How on earth do you people keep misreading that
Because most people know jackshit about the insanely large house of bourbon succession line and i took your "son and grandson" comment as meaning "two following kings of his line" because honestly it's the only ones whose intelligence mattered Louis XV (great-grandson of Louis XIV) and Louis XVI ( Grandson of Louis XV). Who ever give a poo poo about Le Grand and le Petit Dauphins, nowadays.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jun 13, 2016

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Empress Theonora posted:

But... the topic of discussion was literally groomed heirs who died before the reigning king?
Well, then the Grand Dauphin spent his life under the shadow of his domineering father in a military engineer post under Vauban (his life is literally a list of sieges and military grades) and his son the Petit Dauphin died one year after his father, of measles in his 20s, because he stayed too long near his dear dying wife and caught the disease. His children died of the disease too. His brother was Philip V of Spain so i guess we could look there but the treaty makes that side succession unlikely. So we have one military guy and one kid too in love to stay alive, do their lifes spent not ruling in a privileged position waiting for the crown inform us enough on their intellectual level and ability as potential rulers? Not really. Note that one side of the family did try vaccination when the measles struck (vaccination was decried by the church at the time, despite its success amongst the English royalty) and that's how most of their kids survived. It's that same Orleans side of the family that would later reign in France (after Charles X, another "pure" bourbon, got kicked out of the country) and btw said Orleans King was a descendant of the Orleans member of parliament during the Revolution who voted Death at the vote which sentenced Louis XVI to death by ONE vote, so we kinda know which side of the family was less stupid and more politically savy. The last Non-Orleans pure Bourbon claimant to the French throne literally refused the throne at a time when France was ready to try a new bourbon king (after Napoleon III) because he wanted to go back to the white flag. Monarchist MPs were seen crying in the parliament's hemicycle at the news of his "flag change" demand. He died later childless ending the "Legitimist" claimant line, now it's mostly Orleans (count of paris line) and spanish bourbon claimants (the last spanish one is quite pretty but i think he is also the grandson of Franco by his mother so lol, good luck to sell that in a republic).

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 13, 2016

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

GunnerJ posted:

This isn't really just a matter of silly preference, though, there's some very real heavy symbolism. I don't think comparing the Bourbon white flag to the Confederate flag is anything but a really rough analogy, but that white flag stood for a whole lot of poo poo that even late 19th-century French royalists knew had been consigned to the dustbin of history. Like, if Republicans in New York City ran a very successful candidate for mayor who was managing to pull in the black vote, and then suddenly showed up at a press conference flanked by the Stars and Bars, insisting that the city's flag be redesigned to incorporate it somehow. The Bourbon pretender in question was basically a political coelacanth from the ancien régime.
France literally spent the 19th century fighting under the tricolore, it's the flag of the Empire, Napoleon and the Nation (as opposed to the kingdom). The confederate flag is a bad example, it's more like "actually in position to gain power by some dark magic" Emperor Norton asking for an union jack themed flag, probably insanely unpopular. He could have asked for a gold lys in the white part of the flag, that would have probably passed but no he was stupid. Then it was 3th republic for 70+ years and no one cared about the monarchy anymore.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

GunnerJ posted:

By Norton's time, Americans has spent roughly the same amount of time living in a republic and had no monarchist movement, much less a powerful royalist coalition in Congress, so that seems like an even poorer analogy to me?
It is because it's pretty hard to find a good one with America without some crazy alt reality bullshit. By the time of the count of Chambord, it was a meagre monarchist and imperialist-in-need-of-a-strong-leadership majority in parliament and the king friendly president Mac Mahon that made his crowning a possibility. Also the republican started the GIVE THE STATUE OF LIBERTY to America for their 100 birthday campaign after the flag demand sunk the monarchy return as a way to energize the republican cause. Pretty successful.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

GunnerJ posted:

All monarchs in France after the Revolution had to reign with at least the image of being something other than absolutists of the Louis XIV mold (i.e., an emperor who "fulfilled" the Revolution, two constitutional monarchs, a "bourgeois king," and a populist-to-liberal emperor) and if it seemed like they were trying for something else, they got the boot (see: Charles X). Henri's appeal to unite behind his stainless banner indicated his intent to not even pretend.
The insane political context probably also played a role really. A few have theorized that because his attempt to get the crown happened after the commune of Paris, he believed that the current political lack of reluctance to murder Parisian proletarian insurrectionists by the thousands to protect the bourgeois shops was a total rejection of the revolution values by said Parisian bourgoisie and he could go back straight to the good old regime. Starting with the flag.
Also he was Charles X's grandson, and Charles X was kicked out for his dickish absolutist attempt to censor all the press. So yeah grand daddy was surely a constitutional monarch (imposed by the british-german victors) but also a full dickhead who hosed over his own more voltairian brother attempt to a slightly more liberal form of monarchy by downing most of his ministers. And it's not surprising that his grand son was a reactionnary dickhead anyway, after all daddy was shot by a bonapartist when he was still inside mother's womb.
Charitably, i will said he was just an angry reactionary who misread the political climate and failed straight from the start at his initial litmus test, the flag.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 13, 2016

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

GunnerJ posted:

If you really want the perfect example of the craziness of 19th French politics, though, it's the Boulanger Affair.

Third time is not the charm!
Literally :suicide::rip: And just after that the deadliest cokefueled blowjob in the Elysée and Dreyfus.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

hexal posted:

No, that Louis is me and I'm fine. I think it's like Meat Products said, it prioritised give the title to a man but as Irmengarde was dead it acted as if she wasn't there and Gisele effectively blocked me. Which is dumb. If Irmengarde had lived another year i would have been king of Italy not that Greek Orthodox jerk :argh:
The solution is to murder him and all his extended family.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Xinder posted:

TIL: Playing as a republic sucks.
It's insanely great, if you survive long enough you become insanely rich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

CascadeBeta posted:

My king died before I got to legalism level 3 and my 5 holdings are now two under the hier, with the remaining 3 split amongst siblings.

What I'm asking is, should I kill my brothers and take my loving land back?
This land is your land, this tomb is their tomb. Start wars to get it back, put them in jail, execute or just plot and assassinate if there aren't 20 people between you and inheritance, do what you need to do.

• Locked thread