Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

I don;t understand the point of making new threads. Well, peace.

After a while people forget entirely about updating the OP so it's a good way to make things stay up to date for new people trying to get into a game. There are other threads I definitely wished had made a new thread when major DLCs, sequels, or remakes came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

HORSE LORDS is tomorrow right? What time do expansions usually come out?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Saith posted:

My update says its queued for 15:51 GMT so I expect that's when its scheduled for release.

Mine said similar but hitting the little arrow under the "scheduled for" started the update.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Did they announce any new DLC beside Horse Lords? Usually there's a portrait pack or something when new expansions are released.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Why do so many vassals hate Charlemagne at the start? Is it just to make it hard to keep plots from forming so you're not all powerful?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Grouchio posted:

So I recently removed every last thing I had gotten through :filez: , including CK2 from 2 years ago. Being free of that nonsense I now need to buy the CK2 collection and other DLC so I can get back to playing my favorite mods. When do you guys suppose the next steam sale will be for this game?

Go to Green Man Gaming, add Crusader Kings 2 and whatever DLC you want and use the code GMGSUM-MERSAL-E20OFF at checkout for 20% off.

E: The current steam sale is way better than that though.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I'm not going to spoil what goes on, but the wolf event chain is loving bizarre. It's almost Secret Bear levels of bizarre, except it's actually in the game.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

What is secret bear?

It was a joke DLC announced by Paradox, I think on April Fool's. Sort of like the Skeletons DLC or the lolcats DLC. Essentially you could take a walk in the forest and a bear would attack you and take your place, pretending to be you. You then played as this secret bear and had to keep your identity as a bear secret. Kind of like Octodad I guess.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

It's been a while since I've played this game and I'm having some severe trouble in the Charlemagne start as Charlemagne. Once I inherit East Francia, I'm over the vassal limit. I can up centralization a bit and over time make new duchies, but it takes a while to get to my vassal limit. If I claim Lombardy or Saxony, my vassal limit jumps up high enough that I can't get any troops from my vassals. I can usually secure an alliance with the Byzantines, but they like to summon up 12k dudes and then send over 1.5k via boat and suicide into enemy stacks of 3k. I'm not really sure how to go about this.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

What's going on with prestige here? Retinues are maxed out and they're all cavalry. Can't figure it out.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Ok, that seemed to answer it. Thanks guys.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

So I'm trying to understand tech as a horde. My main source of it is from pillaging. I also get some from specific buildings in my capital tent. I'm guessing that using advisers to research tech helps. Spying on the Byzantines certainly does. But is my tech still based on my capital province's tech level, or does it move with my capital?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Is there anyway as a nomadic group to prevent your neighbors from all declaring war on you at once? No matter which nomad group I play as, it inevitably ends up with me at war with every single neighbor. Followed pretty quickly by having to surrender lands, watching as they conquer more land elsewhere, have their leaders die in battle, and then declare war on me again. As the Zhetsyu I just lost all my territory within 10 years of game start. As the Yabguids I had Khazaria and the Abassids both declare wars on me on the same day. I have no idea what to do. I constantly build up my retinue, and I make the best use of whatever terrain I can find. No amount of terrain penalties protects you from being so severely outnumbered in every battle.

e: Also is there any way to get "quit to menu" not exit to desktop half the time?

e2: Oh it was just really lovely luck. Now I'm the blob.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 20, 2015

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

So I want to declare a subjugation war on Khazaria here (this is vassal mapmode) but I'm not sure what'll happen if I win. I'm assuming I don't vassalize the clans that are there, but do I get their land? There are no holdings here. The tooltip only mentions getting titles from the Khan of Khazaria.

e: Oh god my heir became Zikri and then I died. None of my lands are Tengri. I've only got a Sunni holding and a Buddhist holding. How do I convert back without a Tengri province?

e2: Figured it out. One of my clans was still Tengri and right clicking on them in the Clans tab let me become Tengri.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 20, 2015

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I reformed the Tengri faith after finally doing well as a nomad. Upon doing so, I became nogovernment. I updated to the beta patch and it interpreted nogovernment as theocracy. So now I can't play my ironman save? Is there anyway to fix this or am I boned?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Rumda posted:

I'm guessing you didn't pass out the temples when I reformed Tengri as the Turks I had passed out all three of the temples I had built.

I'm fairly sure I had already passed out all three temples before reforming, but I may have done that before realizing I was nogovernment. There's no real way for me to check now.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Rumda posted:

Just revert to a previous auto save.

It's Ironman, so that's a no go. Loading it from the beta patch also means rolling back to the normal version doesn't work. I'll just have to restart.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Is there an upper limit to the amount of clans you can have? If someone were to do a WC would they be able to keep making new clans and giving 5 counties to each clan? Or is there going to be a point at which there's 10 clans with 200 provinces or whatever each?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

So what's the way to determine if you can still get achievements in an Ironman save? I know that CTDs in EU4 can take away ironman status, and I've had two CTDs in the last year of playing. But "Achievements CAN be gained" doesn't seem to be a feature in this game.

e: 3 times. Think the save may be borked.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Jazerus posted:

Boy, have I got the mod for you :sun:

More seriously, Slavic is probably the pagan religion that feels the least satisfying at the moment.

the Slavics are well developed compared to West Africans.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Is there a reason the Mongols at the Mongol start date instantly settle as feudal? Kind of takes the wind out of their sales.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

So i started in the 2nd earliest start date as the Byzantine Emperor. Its been a while and I have forgotten how vassal management works, which is rather important, so I'm messing around and about 15 years in:

I'd never seen the immortality event with a child guru before! That's pretty cool. Since my heir was decent enough, I decided to go with this just to see where it led.

Oh cool!

There's just one little issue with all this: When she became 16, she became an adult but her portrait stayed that of a child. I first noticed this when I had an announcement regarding a bastard child, checked to see who the mom was, and noticed 24 year old Devanapiya was the mom, and still had a child's body.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Jedit posted:

Yep, I went through all of this just before Jade Dragon released. Except I also managed to take a horse as a concubine while still sane, because I'm not a bumbling amateur at this game.

I would love to hear about how you did this.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Having an issue where the game won't start. It'll get to "Loading flags" and the crash. I've completely uninstalled and reinstalled the game and deleted the CK2 folder from My Documents>Paradox Interactive. Any clues?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

ajkalan posted:

Is it a full crash to desktop or unending loading? If it's the latter, that's happened a few times to me for no apparent reason, and letting it sit there loading for 10 minutes or so usually gets the game running again. If it's an actual crash then I don't know.
Full crash. It hits "Loading flags" and then within a second or two the window disappears and that's it. No warning, no "not responding", and no "hey we noticed a crash last time" screen.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Didn't ISIS at one point use an edited Victoria 2 map for some reason to display what they claimed as "their" territory?
Yep

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

binge crotching posted:

What does the error.log say?

code:
[virtualfilesystem.cpp:711]: Could not open file: gfx/flags/flagfiles_0.tga, error: The system cannot find the file specified.
Weird that this continued after the uninstall/reinstall though. I've verified the game files and everything looks right to Steam.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Cantorsdust posted:

Try deleting the ck2 folder under Documents/Paradox Interactive. It might be some error in the cached flags generated on game startup.

Tried that out just now, hit same problem at the same time. New error though.

code:
[texturehandler.cpp:197]: Couldn't find texture file: .
[id.cpp:83]: Failed to create id 0 67. Already exists in game.
[id.cpp:83]: Failed to create id 0 66. Already exists in game.
[virtualfilesystem.cpp:711]: Could not open file: gfx/flags/flagfiles_0.tga, error: Access is denied.
I guess I'll go to Paradox's official forums, because that's a weird one.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I did, but the reason access was denied was because the files weren't being created for whatever reason. What ended up doing the trick was getting a friend to send me a copy of their gfx/flags folder so i could just grab the files that weren't generating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

The only thing that this DLC seems to be missing from the playerbase wishlist is making African and Middle Eastern major rivers into major rivers.

• Locked thread