Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I know I don't say a whole lot in this video, but at a certain point, there's not much that can be said with S-ranks; they're just going through the level very quickly.

S3. Ignorin' Intentions

Donkringel posted:

Is there any more backstory than what this game presents?

Nope!

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
drat that olympic event seems annoying as hell - especially with the white balls, that seems incredibly arbitrary in a level which should by rights just gift you the S-Rank.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
:psyduck: watchin' your S rank videos.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Hot Let's Play Tip: don't try to do more than one video with people across three different countries, it takes forever to schedule.

Part 08: Topplin' Tyrants

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
When a game wants you to 100% it, it is probably a bad idea.
Enix games in the past tend to be strange and pretty awesome. How did merging with Square make their games crappy?

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Scalding Coffee posted:

When a game wants you to 100% it, it is probably a bad idea.
Enix games in the past tend to be strange and pretty awesome. How did merging with Square make their games crappy?

This is Treasure, not Enix.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
100% this game can be painful, though.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

I dont know posted:

This is Treasure, not Enix.

The point still stands though. The next Dragon Quest is going to be minecraft, man.

Anyway this LP is still amazing and those S-rank videos blow my mind. I don't think I ever managed to get an S on my own playthroughs of this game.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Nuebot posted:

The point still stands though. The next Dragon Quest is going to be minecraft, man.

I know, but unlike Enix, Treasure games haven't lost their way. They remain a compelling mix of engaging gameplay and fever dream gibberish. Mischief Makers is easily one of the most coherent games they have ever made. The most recent game of theirs that I have played is Sin and Punishment: Star Successor. I beat both it and the original Sin and Punishment multiple times without ever coming close to figuring out what the hell was going on. Good stuff!

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

I dont know posted:

Treasure games haven't lost their way. They remain a compelling mix of engaging gameplay and fever dream gibberish.

If only somebody would do an LP of Bangai-O :swoon:

Kind of sad that this one is already coming to an end, Mischief Makers has suplanted Metal Wolf Chaos as the number 1 game I really wish I could play for myself. Well done, frozentreasure.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

I dont know posted:

I know, but unlike Enix, Treasure games haven't lost their way. They remain a compelling mix of engaging gameplay and fever dream gibberish. Mischief Makers is easily one of the most coherent games they have ever made. The most recent game of theirs that I have played is Sin and Punishment: Star Successor. I beat both it and the original Sin and Punishment multiple times without ever coming close to figuring out what the hell was going on. Good stuff!

Was Sin and Punishment the game where The last boss was the earth? Because I still don't know what the hell that was about. I had a lot of fun with it though. Treasure's name is perhaps the most apt of all.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Nuebot posted:

Was Sin and Punishment the game where The last boss was the earth? Because I still don't know what the hell that was about. I had a lot of fun with it though. Treasure's name is perhaps the most apt of all.

Yup, though the boss was actually the earth's evil twin from a parallel universe. Yes, really.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I only just realised that I used the wrong cropping for the S3 video, so that's now fixed. Mischief Makers has always been weird with its display; it's also why I have to have a black bar at the bottom of this next video.

S4. Movin' Masterfully

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
This is why digital media is better than analog. Nice editing, ha

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
The S Rank segments are always really crazy. Feels like they might not have really playtested some of these times.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Either that or those are the times the playtesters could get +10% rounded up to the nearest second.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Okay, I was going to wait for a couple of days to put this one up, but I was way too excited about what happened in it to hold onto it for that long.

S5. Endin' Everything

Thanks for comin' out, everyone.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
You did a good job FrozenTdawg

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I found the pattern of "How many slams on the giant robot are optimal" surprisingly fascinating.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug

frozentreasure posted:

Okay, I was going to wait for a couple of days to put this one up, but I was way too excited about what happened in it to hold onto it for that long.

S5. Endin' Everything

Thanks for comin' out, everyone.

Congrats on your world record! This was a great LP, thanks for reminding me about this awesome game!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That frog got hosed over so badly, yet still managed to keep itself together.
Can I see a gif of it endlessly slamming into the ground?

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

So grabbing that bomb in that short frame window? That's how I thought it had to be done. I never did read Ms. Hint while playing this game. :downs:

(I got really good at this game as a kid without any FaQs. I have no idea how.)

Also, someone wanted a frog? :getin:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Everything is shaking in that gif.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Thanks for LPing this game! I absolutely loved playing this game as a kid, renting it a couple of times, but I never was great at it, and I certainly was never as amazing as you were in those S-Rank videos. Dang.

Congrats on your world record!

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Ugh, I'm kinda miffed I missed this LP when it was going on, this is pretty much my favorite game ever.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

It took me over half an hour to get a good take of that frog, and it was all worth it now.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I appreciate the devs including S-ranks for people who really want to challenge themselves, but I like that you get the whole ending with just an overall A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
It's a good thing Glazius bumped the thread, or I'd feel weird about bumping it after two months.

Here we are: http://lparchive.org/Mischief-Makers/

• Locked thread