Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I'm glad to see this; I picked the game up a while back, but even though I thought the setting was pretty cool (despite the somewhat juvenile overeliance on profanity,) but I just couldn't get into the game enough to finish it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Hammurabi posted:

Echoing what everyone else is saying about the writing. The writing is bad, tries too hard to be "mature" and "edgy", and sounds way too modern imo. You definitely get the sense that the writers just didn't really care that much, which is a shame because the game could've been pretty good.

Maybe I'll see something that changes my mind as the LP goes on, but the impression I got from what I did play wasn't that they didn't care, but just that they had no idea how to really inject gravitas into a scene, so they fell back on overuse of profanity as a crutch.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Styx is definitely the standout from what I've played; whoever his voice actor is just knocked it out of the park.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I do want to say that I like the animation in this game. Specifically, I think it's a neat character tic that Styx does that thing with his hands whenever he's explaining something.

And gently caress it, might as well check out the sidequest (speak to Oboth.) If nothing else, it's fun to watch Styx in his element.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jun 12, 2015

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Ghost Stromboli posted:

Bioware in general tends to give the player a very binary choice. They may have gotten a little better at making it more of a choice (possessed baby child - don't know if you made that up)

It's literally the crux of one of the four primary quests in Dragon Age: Origins. And like most of Bioware's floundering attempts at moral complexity, there's an easy third option that makes everyone happy and disperses of all moral ambiguity.

That said, at least Dragon Age didn't try to track your moral stance. If you want a worse example of being forced to choose one morality and stick with it through good or ill in Bioware's writing, I'd look at Mass Effect. In ME1, your diplomatic abilities are capped by how Renegade or Paragon you are. So even though it's a step forward in that both meters were tracked separately (unlike in KotOR and Jade Empire, where choosing the "good" option meant you were that much less evil on the morality slider,) you were still pressured to commit pretty heavily to one mentality, rather than approaching each dilemma (such as they were) on their own merits. ME2 is even worse about this, because it just makes your morality score your diplomatic ability. So if you want to threaten someone for a better outcome to a quest, you have to go shake down a kiosk owner first.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I'm guessing there's no harm in doing the side missions.

I don't mind it too much when games keep story and side missions segregated, but I think it'd be cool for the game to make things harder on you (say, more guards added because you gave them time to prepare) if you procrastinated to do every side mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
It's a general rule of fantasy the Orcs are tougher than humans, so that sort of explains Arkail. I guess Styx is just light enough that he bounced.

For that matter, I'm starting to like Arkail as a protagonist more. Now that we've got his whole berserker shtick hammered out, it's nice to see that he's got some depth to him too, given his familiarity with the spiritual side of his people. It would've been pretty easy to just make him a stereotypical meatgrinder and have him play off Styx that way. It's also interesting that Ark's the one who keeps wanting to do sidequests that involve rescuing people or "punishing the wicked."

Go save Arken. I love the idea of an Orc Paladin.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 24, 2015

• Locked thread