Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Spectacular Bid. Pleasant Colony. Alysheba. Sunday Silence. Silver Charm. Real Quiet. Charismatic. War Emblem. Funny Cide. Smarty Jones. Big Brown. I'll Have Another. California Chrome. All these horses won the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness Stakes, but not the Belmont Stakes. Why do people watch? Because this might be the year. American Pharaoh is the horse du jure, and like every year a horse wins the first two legs of the Triple Crown, the hype machine takes off, with comparisons to horses of the '40s and '70s. There's only one thing standing in the way of immortality: the longest mile and a half in horse racing.

:horse:

POST TIME: 6:50pm Eastern

1. Mubtaahij (10/1)
2. Tale of Verve (15/1)
3. Madefromlucky (12/1)
4. Frammento (30/1)
5. American Pharoah (3/5)
6. Frosted (5/1)
7. Keen Ice (20/1)
8. Materiality (6/1)

Yes, there are only eight horses in the running. It'll be more heartbreaking that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

I dunno, I think this horse has what it takes. The way American Pharoah tore up the competition in the slop at Pimlico to the point where Victor Espinoza's silks were as clean as coming back from the dry cleaners while everyone else was covered in mud was visually impressive.

Ordinarily I don't give a poo poo about horsie but the lure of seeing a potential Triple Crown winner sucks me in every year that spot becomes up for grabs. NBC drawing out hours of coverage for a race that'll go about two minutes is nauseating but as the OP said, the hype train is in full effect.

While I'd love to see a 37 year drought in a Triple Crown winner finally be put to bed (and have a misspelling be immortalized forever), I'm betting on #6 Frosted to show up as role of spoiler.

Robnoxious fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 6, 2015

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Frosted may be the 2nd best horse in the race, but he's pretty much what they call a "sucker horse", he somehow managed to be 2nd best or whatever every time. Not really a good bet imo.

I think this WAS a deeper than average crop but obviously attrition has taken its toll with the likes of Dortmond and Carpe Diem missing out.

Goofy interview with two members of the Goo Goo Dolls earlier, they both went for American Pharoah so of course the reporter had to say something like "if he wins give them the credit". I dunno, I don't think he'll be looking to the sky to save him...

Moktaro fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 6, 2015

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Gimme a stream please I have no TV atm.

edit: oh there's an official stream on NBC. nm

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 6, 2015

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Gimme a stream please I have no TV atm.

http://stream.nbcsports.com/horse-racing/?pid=17933&referrer=http://www.nbcsports.com/

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

The only other big question after the Belmont is how quickly can Eddie Olczyk get his rear end to Tampa Bay for Game 2 of the Stanley Cup Finals.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Remember last year when the horse's owner went on a crazy rant after he lost? That was fun.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I feel better about him than I did about Chrome last year or really any horse in a while. He beat some good horses in the Derby and he romped home in the Preakness.

But I've been waiting for a Triple Crown winner since I first watched Silver Charm's near miss in 1997 so I'm just waiting to be disappointed yet again :smithicide:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I'm here for the Egyptian version of last year's redneck meltdown afterwards, let's do this

Seriously Chrome's ownership are poo poo from start to finish, but I'm rooting for my boy Baffert to get a Triple Crown, because he's basically "deal with it" in real life. :smugdog:

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Personally I think the bigger problem in racing is not the lack of a TC winner, but rather that the top runners all but disappear after the Belmont. Imagine if top players like Peyton Manning only showed up in a couple random games the 2nd half of the seasos (and the playoffs/Breeders Cup of course).

Oh god it's the Burger King, don't die horses. :ohdear:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Triple Crown happens, four people on the forms cheer raucously

horse_racing.txt

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

THE KING LOL

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
hahahahaha Baffert

"He's... He's right behind me, isn't he :stare:"

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Chokes McGee posted:

Triple Crown happens, four people on the forms cheer raucously

horse_racing.txt

This could be history.

...for a sport not many younger people watch.

Whatever. I wanna see a Triple Crown winner :toot:

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Remember last year when the horse's owner went on a crazy rant after he lost? That was fun.

They're already finding blood for American Pharaoh's jockey

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I believe!!!!!

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

i wonder if NBC is hoping for a loss so that people are still interested in watching for the streak to be broken

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Just The Facts posted:

This could be history.

...for a sport not many younger people watch.

Whatever. I wanna see a Triple Crown winner :toot:

I lived in Louisville my entire life and the only thing the Derby meant was obnoxious out of towners. Then I met my wife who was a horse racing enthusiast and I've been to like four Derbies!

Including that one a few years ago that was like a frozen hurricane which is the one that made me inform her I was done going to Derby.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Chokes McGee posted:

I lived in Louisville my entire life and the only thing the Derby meant was obnoxious out of towners. Then I met my wife who was a horse racing enthusiast and I've been to like four Derbies!

Including that one a few years ago that was like a frozen hurricane which is the one that made me inform her I was done going to Derby.

I need to actually go to the Preakness, I'm like an hour away...

I've got #1, $2 across the board.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
i want AP to win so i never have to watch this again

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Poonerman posted:

Ditto

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Tetrix posted:

i wonder if NBC is hoping for a loss so that people are still interested in watching for the streak to be broken

the undertaker theorem

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Just The Facts posted:

I need to actually go to the Preakness, I'm like an hour away...

I've heard Pimlico's a dump though :smith:

Chrome and Espanoza have like zero Belmont experience? lol good luck with that

HERE WE GO

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Chokes McGee posted:

I've heard Pimlico's a dump though :smith:

Chrome and Espanoza have like zero Belmont experience? lol good luck with that

HERE WE GO

That's why its the "People's Race"

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

Go Frammento!

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
The curling community wants Keen Ice to win. Keen Ice will not win.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
:siren: bad start :siren:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Here we go with The Turn of Doom

Good luck

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
:ohdear:

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
Hit the afterburners!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
HOLY loving poo poo

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
And they're not gonna catch him!

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Yay Horses

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

and the streak

is over

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Poonerman posted:

:toot:

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
Pfft, Miggy Cabs already won the triple crown

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

THE BURGER KING WINS AGAIN

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Well how about that.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
THAT WAS loving AMAZING

OWNED FROM START TO FINISH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place