Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
opus111
Jul 6, 2014

I can't even imagine how bad an apple radio station must be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

opus111 posted:

What could possibly be wrong with a corporate curated selection of music? I mean come on it's not like they already have a reputation for arbitrary blocking certain apps and other content from their system...

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

What could possibly be wrong with a corporate curated selection of music? I mean come on it's not like they already have a reputation for arbitrary blocking certain apps and other content from their system...

Likely not any worse than any terrestrial top 40 radio service it seems to be modeled after.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MrBond posted:

Likely not any worse than any terrestrial top 40 radio service it seems to be modeled after.

So nerds will hate it and everyone else won't really care.

Vanellope
Mar 26, 2015

I've just got pixlexia, okay?

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

So if you have Apple Music, then there's no point in having Match, right? Since it sounds like Music does the same thing?

If I'm understanding this correctly, yeah, Music will do the same thing that Match does.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

It's probably going to be like every other top 40 station. All fuckin Taylor Swift, Iggy Azalea, Sam Smith and Maroon 5 all the time.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

MrBond posted:

it will be worse because apple genuinely think they're hip.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

MrBond posted:

Exactly my point?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Maybe it'll be like Apple's hold music. Sometimes pretty great, sometimes really repetitive, sometimes TryHard . . . and always Florence and the Machine.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

opus111 posted:

Why do you have to imagine? iTunes Radio has been a thing for almost a year now.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

opus111 posted:

It was good before everyone else started listening to it... :v:

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Former T-Mobile user chiming in. Well, sort of former. I switched to Ting because it happened to be cheaper for most of my usage, but it seems it can get super expensive if I decide to stream music for hours with it. The one day I was without my primary Internet connection, I decided to stream from Pandora over my tether, while using my system as usual, and the result was about 1TB of traffic in 8 hours. Of course, it could have been all the streaming video ads I saw in the Vivaldi browser I was trying out without the benefit of an ad blocker.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*

fordan posted:

Why do you have to imagine? iTunes Radio has been a thing for almost a year now.

iTunes Radio is more of a Pandora like streaming playlist service where the song selection Is based on genres/artists you chose where you can skip songs. Honestly it was pretty comparable to Pandora, except I kept getting edited versions of songs when I wanted the explicit version. Not sure if they fixed that, I haven't used it in quite a while.

Beats 1, or whatever the station is called is a live streaming broadcast that mimics an over the air/satellite broadcast. As far as I can tell Apple has hired popular DJs from LA, New York, and London to control the content and aren't controlling it directly. I'll withhold judgement until I hear it. I'm guessing this is an experiment and if it it brings in enough money we'll see addition stations (beats 2, etc) in the future. Or maybe Apple uses some of that cash to buy Sirius Satellite.

Whatever the case I'll probably stick with free alternatives like Pandora because I'm a cheap rear end.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

McFunkerson posted:

I kept getting edited versions of songs when I wanted the explicit version

I wish Pandora could take the hint, and play me music I could feel safe blasting over my speakers with my parents listening in the room at the same time. I get tired of hearing Thom Yorke singing about how "it's hosed up, hosed up", yet I like the tune, but not the lyrics, so I sit at the impasse of never hitting either the thumbs up or the thumbs down. If I hit the thumbs down, they might take the hint that I dislike it for all the other tagged properties it has, and not just because it has unnecessary profanity.

(Reminds me of the time I was in a department store at the mall, some Macy's or something, and they were playing Gwen Stefani's Hollaback Girl, the explicit version. I could clearly hear every "This poo poo is bananas".)

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

kode54 posted:

I wish Pandora could take the hint, and play me music I could feel safe blasting over my speakers with my parents listening in the room at the same time. I get tired of hearing Thom Yorke singing about how "it's hosed up, hosed up", yet I like the tune, but not the lyrics, so I sit at the impasse of never hitting either the thumbs up or the thumbs down. If I hit the thumbs down, they might take the hint that I dislike it for all the other tagged properties it has, and not just because it has unnecessary profanity.

(Reminds me of the time I was in a department store at the mall, some Macy's or something, and they were playing Gwen Stefani's Hollaback Girl, the explicit version. I could clearly hear every "This poo poo is bananas".)

i thought you had to be over 18 to post on sA?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

kode54 posted:

Agreed, friendo. This is why I only listen to Christian music when I'm blasting music at my parents in the same room.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

opus111 posted:

i thought you had to be over 18 to post on sA?

I don't know, it just feels like listening to music with pointless swearing is like watching movies with pointless violence and nudity that add absolutely nothing to the story. I can't help it if I'm developmentally stunted.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
Yeah, well that was the most underwhelming keynote. I'll take Apple music for a spin, because free 3 months but the rest of it was pretty bland.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

Exactly my point?

You make it sound like it'll be something shockingly worse than any other radio station anyone can name.

computer parts posted:

So nerds will hate it and everyone else won't really care.

Pretty much it.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

MrBond posted:

You make it sound like it'll be something shockingly worse than any other radio station anyone can name.

its gonna be so much worse because it will end up playing fun-key smooth jazz played by trust fund white boys found squatting in the tenderloin.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

No Sonos love for Apple Music
http://www.cultofmac.com/325660/sorry-sonos-lovers-apple-music-wont-work-with-your-speaker/

:getin:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

MrBond posted:

Pretty much it.

Radio stations, including the place E-Brow already works at are pretty terrible. There's a reason radio has been on the decline for years.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Rick posted:

and always Florence and the Machine.

Ain't nothing wrong with that.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
As someone who went to school for radio and then promptly said gently caress it after actually looking for a radio job, the radio business is terrible to work in. It's a job you only do if you approach life with a "do what you love, not what keeps you financially stable" attitude because you're basically at risk of losing your job every single day. Nobody is safe, even "big-name" hosts, since a station could flip formats without notice and kick you to the curb since you don't fit their sound any more.

Exception to that is sales, but gently caress doing media sales.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

Radio stations, including the place E-Brow already works at are pretty terrible. There's a reason radio has been on the decline for years.

Oh don't get me wrong, I hate terrestrial radio and even satellite for aping the traditional radio format, and this seems to be right down that alley. It sounded like Apple's version of sirius's hits 1 and I imagine whatever BBC equivalent but I don't think it will be any worse about playing radio edits of any given song or not playing songs. If it ever came up they'll just play "Forget You" like every other radio station did back in the day.

Three Olives posted:

edit 2: I feel like I am being pedantic, if ApplePay gets retailers to replace their lovely terminals with ones that support Chip & PIN and NFC, I'm all for it as a person that has gone half a dozen credit cards in the past two years because of data breaches, it just seems weird for Apple to brag about how many (few) retailers have non-complete poo poo insecure terminals that also happen to support the standard that Apple is using for NFC payments.

Yeah I agree, from the consumer end NFC payments will basically work and feel the same no matter if the antenna is in the card or in an iPhone or Android, as long as the retailer has the hardware. This is a case of a rising tide lifts all boats too, so just watch out for the silly CurrentC people.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
If Apple Pay could somehow incorporate my loyalty cards to auto scan/check in when I pay with Apple Pay, that would be amazing.

Tried doing an purchase at Walgreens today and want to still go through 3 different screens for my reward balance and poo poo like that

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Astro7x posted:

If Apple Pay could somehow incorporate my loyalty cards to auto scan/check in when I pay with Apple Pay, that would be amazing.

Tried doing an purchase at Walgreens today and want to still go through 3 different screens for my reward balance and poo poo like that

That's an explicit new feature of iOS 9. It was even demoed onstage.

MrBond posted:

Yeah I agree, from the consumer end NFC payments will basically work and feel the same no matter if the antenna is in the card or in an iPhone or Android, as long as the retailer has the hardware. This is a case of a rising tide lifts all boats too, so just watch out for the silly CurrentC people.

The adoption of new hardware is probably more related to the Credit Card companies going "either support/offer chipped cards or all the liability goes onto you". Businesses have ~5 months or so to comply.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

MrBond posted:

CurrentC

It's especially silly, if you consider that CurrentC doesn't use NFC, just so it can work with phones that either have no NFC support, or lock it down to vendor only apps.

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

binarysmurf posted:

Yeah, well that was the most underwhelming keynote.

As a developer, I thought it was great. App thinning, swift 2, free provisioning, UI debugging, native watch apps, universal links, etc.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Probably relevant here, Phil Schiller is being interviewed live right now on Gruber's podcast: http://daringfireball.net/live/

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

milkaxor posted:

As a developer, I thought it was great. App thinning, swift 2, free provisioning, UI debugging, native watch apps, universal links, etc.

Yeah.. I think I was being a little over critical. I'm also a dev, and watching the "Platform State of the Union" restored my enthusiasm. :)

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
So basically the new OS X is them nicking the best bits of Windows and welding it onto Yosemite? I also didn't get them randomly showing off mission control when it didn't seem to be changed at all, but perhaps I missed something, I dunno.

kode54 posted:

you sound like my granny

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

IceAgeComing posted:

So basically the new OS X is them nicking the best bits of Windows and welding it onto Yosemite?

Honestly this is the best thing though. Window snapping is pretty much the best thing.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

kode54 posted:

I don't know, it just feels like listening to music with pointless swearing is like watching movies with pointless violence and nudity that add absolutely nothing to the story. I can't help it if I'm developmentally stunted.

This poo poo's bananas.

El Capitan and iOS9 both seem pretty cool if the performance stuff is legit, especially on older devices.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

IceAgeComing posted:

So basically the new OS X is them nicking the best bits of Windows and welding it onto Yosemite? I also didn't get them randomly showing off mission control when it didn't seem to be changed at all, but perhaps I missed something, I dunno.

Window snapping is one of the things I missed most about Windows. I use BTT to enable it in OSX and I feel like it will still be better than Apple's native method but I'm glad they're including it at all.

Mission Control now supports dragging an open app into the top to create a full screen desktop for it. You can drag apps to desktops in MC to create split-screen desktops and such.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
It goes both ways, MS is adding virtual desktops to Win10, too, but that is more of an old Unix feature, than an Apple feature, but whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

IceAgeComing posted:

Apple and Microsoft signed an agreement back in 1997 to cross-license all of their patents. They're not allowed to totally copy whole applications or swaths of code verbatim, but they can filch isolated little features here and there, from each other, without fear of new lawsuits . The agreement was part of the settlement from losing a case where Microsoft and Intel were found to have lifted whole sections of code verbatim from Apple applications.

Apple isn't totally without some cattiness, such as when they posted banners at a past WWDC touting OS X Tiger that said "Redmond, start your photocopiers."

• Locked thread