Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

More native apps for me to dump in a folder.

Eagerly anticipating a fourth page in my Apple Junk folder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Ann you beautiful naive sophisticated newborn baby.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
HOW IS AN ARTICLE ABOUT A FONT BASED ON EINSTEIN'S HANDWRITING ABOUT RELATED TO SCIENCE.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
this is the slowest moving apple thread in ages

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Don Lapre posted:

Apple software not as exciting as hardware :(

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

HOW IS AN ARTICLE ABOUT A FONT BASED ON EINSTEIN'S HANDWRITING ABOUT RELATED TO SCIENCE.

what do you think the laws of physics were written in

Sue
Apr 1, 2008

I read ESPN for the articles, heh.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

how is this not Flipboard

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Don Lapre posted:

it echos the progress of their OS

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Thwomp posted:

Eagerly anticipating a fourth page in my Apple Junk folder.

Since carriers cant install bloatware apple has to make up for it.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Literally no one is going to develop articles formatted for this dumb thing.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
AH geez, curated news, so the more you read the more it feeds you things you have a pre-existing bias towards. Nice! They basically made Reddit the newsreader.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Streams is dying. Much like Apple.

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!
I am all for diversity but I wish they had chosen based on presentation skills...

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Josh Lyman posted:

Isn't Pinterest mostly over now?

Well this is a strange opinion. I don't know a single woman who doesn't use it all of the time. It's strange how one sided to the female demo it is (I know, like, 2 men who use it), but however they did it, they have it locked down.

ChadSexington
Aug 12, 2004
I am so not competitive. In fact, I am the least non-competitive. So I win.
Make the painfully obvious fake cheerleading for the Warriors stop please

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

there's a comic con topic?!

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Electric Bugaloo posted:

What? Does he teach at ITT Tech? How does anybody do that and think it's ok?

This is at a top university. Highly selective. Many of them have never used anything but an iphone and don't even know what microsoft word or windows is.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

She is like the best pretend/goofy sports fan ever :allears:

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Only the tech focused ones that already have something like this (I'm looking at you Wired)

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

TinTower posted:

Shouldn't Apple Pay work with any contactless reader? Contactless is a big thing in the UK, after all.

Yeah but the issue is banks have to be willing to give Apple the NFC tokens. Apple did a good job with that in the US but ask Softcard/Google about how easy that can be.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

What the hell is with this "learning" crap. I just want to tell it what I want and where I want my shortcuts, etc.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Super Dude posted:

Yep, Pay is just regular NFC.

Awesome. Seeing TfL on the list of business supporting it means that they've found away to apply the daily limit for Pay users – maybe through the Device Account Number?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Logikv9 posted:

I love how Apple Maps looks but drat the functionality and accuracy is lacking.

I used navigation to go somewhere I've been before because why not and I "arrived" at my destination 3 blocks away.

I honestly feel like some kind of apologist but I've never really had a problem with navigation despite using it pretty much every day to get to different clients for over a year, last year. Maybe it got lovely now but I've never had a problem with it. I'm also in a well trafficked city though, so maybe it depends on where you are.

I think the only issue I've ever had with it is acquiring a "starting" position on GPS sometimes. Like it'll say "start on XYZ street" but I've been driving on that street for like 2 minutes now, just tell me where to go Siri :supaburn:

Sue
Apr 1, 2008

I like Susan Prescott's style.
She should be on stage every Apple event.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Logikv9 posted:

I love how Apple Maps looks but drat the functionality and accuracy is lacking.

I used navigation to go somewhere I've been before because why not and I "arrived" at my destination 3 blocks away.

It really largely depends on where you live and where you're going, because they pull from different sources one app might be better getting you to one place instead of the other.

And both still can't handle Anaheim, CA.

LupercanaliusAB
Oct 21, 2008
It's a goofy bastard cross of Google News and StumbleUpon.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Sue posted:

I like Susan Prescott's style.
She should be on stage every Apple event.
What the...

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Whirlwind Jones posted:

I work directly in the news making software industry. 99% of content producers either are working on their own web apps, too broke to use one, or use wordpress.

Hey, WSJ, how about you start writing specifically formatted articles for only a subset of half of your readers?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

LupercanaliusAB posted:

It's a goofy bastard cross of Google News and StumbleUpon.

It's the Yahoo News app with more than Yahoo.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Glad somebody finally bought pointcast.com assets from the 90's

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

speaking of NFC, is CurrentC still a thing?

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I work directly in the news making software industry. 99% of content producers either are working on their own web apps, too broke to use one, or use wordpress.

Hey, WSJ, how about you start writing specifically formatted articles for only a subset of half of your readers?

I couldn't agree more.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Rick posted:

It really largely depends on where you live and where you're going, because they pull from different sources one app might be better getting you to one place instead of the other.

And both still can't handle Anaheim, CA.

Yeah I live in Orlando and it sent me to the wrong place all the time. Like 6 months ago I tried to use it for the first time in a while, and first time I tried it sent me somewhere like 5 blocks off from where it should have. Back to the "Useless" folder you go, Apple Maps.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I noticed playboy wasnt on that list smdh

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
How are they specially formatted at all? They look like the new fad for articles that has existed for the past two or three years.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Why would they expect producers to go through super efforts for this app while serving no ads whatsoever?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Dancing Peasant posted:

speaking of NFC, is CurrentC still a thing?

Yes, in the same way that you can still find stores that will rent you a VHS copy of Speed 2.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
A privacy plug is now required after each presentation, from now until forever (until they quietly start mining data)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Not terribly interested in installing Developer Previews of either of these OSes this year. What a disappointment.

Seriously.

Like, the Apple team is always sort of adorably lame with their on-stage stuff. In like a weird dad sort of way where you sorta can't help but smile as they work the crowd on OS adoption rates or greeting cards or whatever other stupid thing.

But this is just lame-lame.

I guess they were really banking on having the new Apple TV ready for today....

• Locked thread