Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
98 Integra LS.

About a year ago, I drove through a big rear end puddle and filled my cylinders up with water. After I blew the water out, it appeared to have survived mostly unscathed, because it seemed to run fine for a whole year, other than an intermittent misfire.

Apparently I was wrong, because after I towed a trailer this weekend, the misfire became permanent and I have zero compression in cylinder 3.

What are the chances this is a headgasket and not something more serious? There are no tell-tale signs -- no oil in the coolant, no coolant in the oil, and no bubbles in the coolant when the engine is running.

Can I nail down the cause without tearing the engine too far apart? If it's more than $500-700 I just want to scrap the car, so a new motor or a new head is out of the question (I'd be taking it to a shop, no garage to do something that serious).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You should be able to get a borescope in cylinder 3 and rotate the crank by hand until it's at the bottom of the stroke, check for damage to the piston by the valve, or signs of a broken ringland, bring it to TDC and make sure it's actually close to the top, to rule out a bent rod. if the engine was running when it sucked the water in, cylinder 3 might have been on the compression stroke, an that's what stopped the engine.

The labour on a junkyard engine swap is probably out of your budget. If it's a coupe in decent shape, you should be able to sell it for more than scrap.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

^^That too, the rest of this post is assuming it's unrelated to hydrolock.^^

Exhaust gases could get into the coolant without showing up as bubbles, get a coolant sniffer.

Nailing down why compression is bad is what a leakdown tester is for, that link is a good quick guide. Requires a compressor though, so if you don't have one you'll be taking it to a shop for that, but that test is what the shop would recommend anyway if they're competent at all.

Answering anything more in-depth would require the results of that, so get that done asap.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
And what state are you in? I've been looking for an integra shell.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Agreed with Enourmo, a leakdown test is what you want to do here.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
Thanks everyone, looks like I'll just take it to a shop and explain the situation, since all of this requires tools I don't have.

ChewedFood posted:

And what state are you in? I've been looking for an integra shell.

MN

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If you're only tool-limited, not understanding-limited, getting what you need to do a swap will cost less than paying someone.

An engine swap (or pretty much anything else) can be done on a driveway, weather and neighbours permitting.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
I'm mostly "not willing to put in the work" limited. I have friends with garages and engine hoists if I really wanted to.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
If you ever in your life wanted to experience an engine replacement, your Integra is the ideal subject. Engine swaps in Integras are extremely well documented, and the cars are generally easy to work on. Don't think of it as work, think of it as training for a potential post apocalypse survival skill.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Swap in a CRV motor.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Leakdown test is the best solution. Did it on my VW and nailed the compression problem down to the valve. I don't know why its rarely talked about.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Phone posted:

Swap in a CRV motor.

My parents actually have a '98 CRV they want to get rid of.

Unfortunately, it's down in Florida (I'm moving near them in 2 months), which is one of the reasons I'm strongly considering getting rid of the car -- would make the move much easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

It's going to be more than $500 even if it's just the head gasket, if you have a shop doing the work. It might even go past your $700 limit. This is assuming the only issue is the head gasket, and that the head doesn't need to be skimmed or anything. So you should probably plan for the worst.

Irony: the reason I got rid of my Integra was lack of compression. 91 LS, but the engine is nearly identical - B18A instead of B18B, 10hp difference (biggest difference was cams IIRC), lost most compression on #2 and #3 and started smoking really bad, though in my case it was suspected to be from the aftermarket fuel pressure regulator that the previous owner installed - friend that took it off my hands tore it down, and thought it leaned out long term, as it wound up having burnt valves and basically no rings on those cylinders. Explains the 40-45 MPG it got on road trips.

• Locked thread