Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Faylone posted:

Your starting tag on image 20 is broken and could use fixing when you add the videos

Thank you for that. I went ahead and fixed it now. I'm gonna add videos after finishing the next and last update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Ryushikaze posted:

It's time for the triumphant return of Marcey who is totally not Krile in a man suit! Nope! Totally different person!

Krile's Marceyventure- Episode 5: It's just like looking into a mirror, isn't it Gilgamesh?

For now, Videos are not included, and might not be til after the next episode is done. But they will be done! The ones worth watching, anyways.

EDIT: And it's back up! Last episode will be out early next week, and then I'll add in videos as I edit them.

Honestly, I feel like having all jobs mastered is kinda cheating the spirit of the Mime run. Is that just me?

Anyway, I've done the first two rounds with Gilgamesh, and am currently uploading the videos. (For the record, Round 2 turned out to be literally 11 times as long as Round 1, though admittedly Round 1 was kinda... one-sided.)

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Kind of double-posty, but here's the next update for Gilgaluf!

The Epic of Gilgaluf - Chapter 7

Gilgamesh 2 kinda wrecked me... Maybe he was retaliating for how badly he lost in the first match or something. I mean, I still managed to avoid dying, but it was a VERY near thing involving several lucky misses.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Walter Post 14 - Sodium Chloride

The Sealed Temple is done... sorta. Sorry to bitch out like that and just fight the bosses, but at least you get to see the fights done a bit differently than they were done in Dr Pepper's low-level LP. Hopefully y'all enjoyed - if you did, it makes this all worth it. :3:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

The Sealed Temple is done... sorta. Sorry to bitch out like that and just fight the bosses, but at least you get to see the fights done a bit differently than they were done in Dr Pepper's low-level LP. Hopefully y'all enjoyed - if you did, it makes this all worth it. :3:

Those were some sneaky tricks!

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

Kyrosiris posted:

As both the person who dared you into starting this a year ago and the one who dared you into finishing it, I give you congrats and apologies alike.

I am however slightly disappointed you did not show off the results of trying to Kiss of Blessing Neo Shinryu, but then again you beat him on the first attempt so I think that doesn't matter.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Amazingly enough, I'm still here and still going. Not exactly my strong suit, as I have already demonstrated.

The Epic of Gilgaluf - Chapter 8

Unfortunately, I feel like my writing quality's gone down due to resorting to cheap jokes more often. Second opinions?

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Bit double-posty, but have some more Gilgaluf!

The Epic of Gilgaluf - Chapter 9

Yes, I'm aware of the sound issues in some of the videos I've posted since I came back, but since I just want to finish this run at this point I don't think I'll be going back to fix them.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Warning: Bad, non-sequitur joke incoming!

The Epic of Gilgaluf - Chapter 10

Apparently I'm the only one still active here... Ah well, just means I have to stay on the ball and finish my run. Oh, and I forgot to mention before, but I finally got around to editing the first few boss videos. There's nothing new in them, but at least I cut out the non-fight stuff.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I saw this on Twitter a few days ago and forgot to post it here, but it seems relevant:

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Nidoking posted:

I saw this on Twitter a few days ago and forgot to post it here, but it seems relevant:

...That's a thing. Lessee, Dancer Bartz, Monk Galuf, White Mage Lenna, and Blue Mage Faris, I think. I know they're all edits of existing enemies, too... Galuf is Forza, Faris is Siren, and I think Lenna's Magissa, but I can't identify what was edited to make Bartz.

Anyway, I've seen better parties. It's not a bad setup apart from Bartz, though.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

As Random fiesta draws go, you could certainly do worse.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

I always liked that picture. For some reason I never really noticed how enemy sprites are drawn to a completely different scale until I saw that.

CptWedgie posted:

...That's a thing. Lessee, Dancer Bartz, Monk Galuf, White Mage Lenna, and Blue Mage Faris, I think. I know they're all edits of existing enemies, too... Galuf is Forza, Faris is Siren, and I think Lenna's Magissa, but I can't identify what was edited to make Bartz.
Closest match I can find for Bartz is the Numb Blade enemy from the Island Shrine. Bit more obscure than a bunch of 1st World bosses, I guess.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

CptWedgie posted:

It's not a bad setup apart from Bartz, though.

Monk is orders of magnitude worse than Dancer though? :confused:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Quantum Toast posted:

I always liked that picture. For some reason I never really noticed how enemy sprites are drawn to a completely different scale until I saw that.

The thing that hammered that home for me was seeing Golbez's party-member sprite in FF4, where he's this weird, green, big-headed goblin thing instead of the screen-filling blue Darth Vader that he'd been for the rest of the game to that point.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Kyrosiris posted:

Monk is orders of magnitude worse than Dancer though? :confused:

Monks heavily depend on where you are in the game and how well you support them (which a White Mage and Blue Mage are capable of doing with few problems, especially if they took side-trips into Chemist or Bard).

On the other hand, Dancers, in my experience, are garbage, at least as far as consistency is concerned (I should know- I'm the Entertainer Run guy); there's basically nothing they can do with their randomized command that another class can't do better, AT WILL (Drain? Spam Vampire. MP Drain? Pretty sure there's a Black spell for that. Confuse? Bards do it to all enemies simultaneously. Physical damage boost? Rapid Fire, which ignores defense and can multitarget at the cost of a smaller overall boost). Sure, getting all those in one command sounds nice, but getting the exact one you want when you want it is rare to the point that you're unlikely to manage it without save states.

edit: Another reason to use Monks over Dancers I thought of in the shower has nothing to do with damage output: Monks make good tanks (with their only issue being an inability to use shields), which in turn makes them good item caddies during their "weak" phase even if you don't use +level effects to skip it. Dancers, on the other hand, are possibly THE SINGLE FLIMSIEST JOB IN THE GAME (am I the only one who noticed that they have less HP than Bards, who are a ROBE JOB?).

Anyway, unrelated to this conversation: Boss videos are getting pretty big lately, so updates may be slower since I'll need to take breaks to upload them so I don't run out of storage.

CptWedgie fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 5, 2016

Jueg01
Jan 26, 2015

Nidoking posted:

A fun bit of trivia: Galuf appears in the mobile game Final Fantasy Record Keeper as a Monk. Seems like he's getting a reputation as a buff grandpa.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

You could do waaaay worse for a fiesta party. Maybe time to do this setup and see what happens?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Somebody has ABP in Thief, though, - they're stealing the Genji Glove.

I like the idea that Gilgamesh has always been able to morph, he just doesn't have the MP. Fits his buffoon personality quite well. :allears:

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
I know I said updates would take longer, but (with the exception of Gil Turtle) the remaining World 2 bosses went faster than expected. Not that that's a BAD thing (quite the opposite really), but still unexpected.

The Epic of Gilgaluf - Chapter 11

It's starting to look like I might actually finish this one after all!

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

CptWedgie posted:

(In hindsight, I should've just used the healing spring on 1F, assuming it's still there. My memory is terrible...)

It is while its still X-death's castle. Once it turns into meatfort it becomes inert.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Apparently my Mozart run slowed down a bit here because Massive Plot Dump, since it happened to Gilgaluf too.

The Epic of Gilgaluf - Chapter 12

Not sure how many more updates I'll need to finish, but at least I'm sure it'll be shorter than Mozart.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
I got a rather large quantity of Stuff this time.

The Epic of Gilgaluf - Chapter 13

Why is there so much gear that's only from enemies now? I think I got like 5 from them this time (some of it endgame-quality, but still).

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Confuse works on the Stingray too, but it seems very unlikely for it to use it

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Finished up tablet collection this time.

The Epic of Gilgaluf - Chapter 14

Leviathan was so one-sided that I actually found myself feeling sorry for it. Not sure what to make of that...

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Shorter than usual this time- I don't want a 15-image or 50-image update, so I'm putting off most of the Rift.

The Epic of Gilgaluf - Chapter 15

I apologize in advance for the upcoming update's boss-rush nature.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Last update is coming along okay; thought I should let you guys know, so you don't think I abandoned this again. I just got the rarest item in the game (disclaimer: "rare" does not equal "useful").

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Okay, I took a break to upload videos so I'd have room for the last fight. Thing is, now that I'm playing again, NED's kicking my rear end. Grand Cross wasn't an issue the first time; I only lost because I didn't know Mighty Guard was reflectable. The second time, though... Galuf got zombied and Enkidu got berserked on the first casting, and by the time I got that cleared up he was charging up a second one, which instakilled Galuf and zombied Enkidu. Bleh.

edit: Okay, turns out third time was the charm. Just gotta get the Exdeath videos ready, and I can officially finish this run.

CptWedgie fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jul 30, 2016

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Congrats!

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Aaaand done. I will most likely fade back into obscurity now.

The Epic of Gilgaluf - Chapter 16

As previously stated, I'm done with FF5 challenge runs for the foreseeable future. That said, there's a challenge at the end if anyone's interested in trying it (not that I'm expecting anyone to take it, since this thread's kinda dead now).

CptWedgie fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 31, 2016

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
And it's done.

Mega, if you're still reading this, it's probably okay to archive this now.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Congrats! Completing two different challenge runs is pretty impressive.

Sordas Volantyr posted:

And it's done.

Mega, if you're still reading this, it's probably okay to archive this now.

Looking like that's gonna be it for this thread. I'll leave it around a few more days just in case anyone wants to continue, but otherwise I'll close it soon and submit to archives.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

He did it!
He went the gilgamile!

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Hell, if I ever revive the cannoneer run it will probably be in the sandcastle or something, idk. Life has not been kind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
In answer to why Bards don't use bells: a Geomancer is actually a "Feng-Shui Master", and his bells are strictly for use in mysticism rituals. :catholic:

• Locked thread