Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
game runs fine apart from the occasional weird fps drops regardless of settings on certain maps. Oh, and a minor issue where half the buildings are invisible, the tanks are partially invisible and/or have bright red and pink textures. Texture fuckup appears at random and disappears at random. GJ making a game, whoever is making this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Aesis posted:

Laptop CPU/GPU are garbage so that's probably why it runs like garbage.

Prerelease games commonly have to be forced to run with the discrete graphics rather than integrated.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

xthetenth posted:

Prerelease games commonly have to be forced to run with the discrete graphics rather than integrated.
Cry Engine 3 requires good system so it won't matter whether games are pre-release or not, unless his laptop gpu is high-end. tbh if you can run MechWarrior Online/Star Citizen fine on your computer then AW should be fine too (those two use Cry Engine 3 and kinda lovely optimized).

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Aesis posted:

Cry Engine 3 requires good system so it won't matter whether games are pre-release or not, unless his laptop gpu is high-end. tbh if you can run MechWarrior Online/Star Citizen fine on your computer then AW should be fine too (those two use Cry Engine 3 and kinda lovely optimized).

It's still well worth checking if the discrete graphics are getting used because they likely aren't, and that'll be a lot better than integrated.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

So is this game open yet, or is it just for those that actually checked their spam folder?

Snakes in a can
May 14, 2014

T-80s using HEAT make me cry. The gun average rolls for 900 with HEAT. Its insane.

Sad the test servers still have the stupid timer on them, rip ocena.

So far though the games definitely got something working for it. Ive been having fun insted of playing wot. Mm is completely borked but thats fine. Rolling around in LAV 150s with friends using incendiary ammo and wolf packing a pubbie is hilarious.

Also avoid driving over cars. It destroys my fps for like 5 seconds.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I really like Sheridan. Light tank driving around with a derp gun with lots of pen. Just run into problems against high tier heavies with reactive armor.

VVV That is still how it is. In reality it doesn't make sense but for making the game more interesting I actually like it.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 15, 2015

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

One thing that bothers me is that HEAT does more damage and has less pentration which is 100% the opposite of what it actually is.

Or did they change that already?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Snakes in a can posted:

T-80s using HEAT make me cry. The gun average rolls for 900 with HEAT. Its insane.

Sad the test servers still have the stupid timer on them, rip ocena.

So far though the games definitely got something working for it. Ive been having fun insted of playing wot. Mm is completely borked but thats fine. Rolling around in LAV 150s with friends using incendiary ammo and wolf packing a pubbie is hilarious.

Also avoid driving over cars. It destroys my fps for like 5 seconds.
The tiers need some work. Tier 7 tanks do insane damage, shredding even Tier 6 tanks in seconds.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Damage/hp difference increases more as tier goes up. If the tier difference is 2+ then you're basically hosed tbh.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
I hope GOTTA GO FAST vehicles with autocannons are viable all the way to top tier, because it is a riot to play.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I'm specifically going to start playing low-tier tanks that can get hoovered into higher-tier matches close to server-down simply to be the last one alive that everyone wastes time trying to find/chase instead of hasten the end of the match by all capping. Because it's *my* fault that I don't feel like giving them extra xp/cash.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Aesis posted:

I run MWO just fine on this laptop with a GeForce 765M. But AW runs like dogshit on lowest settings, struggling between 10-15 FPS. I'm set to always use discrete graphics, unless this game for some reason is dumb enough to override that and force me to use integrated for some stupid Russian reason.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Leif. posted:

I run MWO just fine on this laptop with a GeForce 765M. But AW runs like dogshit on lowest settings, struggling between 10-15 FPS. I'm set to always use discrete graphics, unless this game for some reason is dumb enough to override that and force me to use integrated for some stupid Russian reason.
Yeah I noticed that AW runs like slight dog poo poo but it got lot better compared to Alpha. Probably due to all these trees and poo poo.

Some basic game mechanics.
View range: Maximum 800 m. This is not spot range. All enemy spotted and allies within 800 m range will be visible.

Camo/spot: Almost non-existent. There are camouflage values but pretty much expect to be spotted if enemy can see even 1 pixel of your tank within their view range (turret has to be pointed towards your direction). Bushes do help though but not that much. When you're spotted you'll get notification after 1~2 seconds which won't disappear until you're unspotted. However your tank outline is visible for couple more seconds so beware. Enemy outside spot range will not be spotted even when firing in open field. Enemy within approx. 20 m will be spotted automatically.

Shot dispersion: Very random. It's probably not Gaussian probability distribution like WoT so expect your shots to fly everywhere. Auto-aim does seem to help though.

Angling: Angling works, but side scraping is not guaranteed ricochet/damage soaking like WoT. As such it's more important to find a good cover than depend on angling.

Arty: When you fire your position will show up as red dot on enemy arty's map. Enemy will be able to see your outline for couple of seconds and therefore it is very important that you find a good cover or move right after shot.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Aesis posted:

Camo/spot: Almost non-existent. There are camouflage values but pretty much expect to be spotted if enemy can see even 1 pixel of your tank within their view range (turret has to be pointed towards your direction). Bushes do help though but not that much. When you're spotted you'll get notification after 1~2 seconds which won't disappear until you're unspotted. However your tank outline is visible for couple more seconds so beware. Enemy outside spot range will not be spotted even when firing in open field. Enemy within approx. 20 m will be spotted automatically.
All that really seems to matter is view range. MBT's have the worst, and by significant amount. Expect to experience light tanks and TDs and infantry fighting vehicles firing at you while remaining invisible.

Aesis posted:

Shot dispersion: Very random. It's probably not Gaussian probability distribution like WoT so expect your shots to fly everywhere. Auto-aim does seem to help though.
This would be annoying if not for the fact that most of the guns in this game are super accurate psuedo railguns. It takes some getting used to compared to WoT - a tank spotted out in the open will often be volleyed to death in seconds.

Aesis posted:

Angling: Angling works, but side scraping is not guaranteed ricochet/damage soaking like WoT. As such it's more important to find a good cover than depend on angling.
This has actually been the biggest disappointment so far. It might be a more accurate reflection of modern tank shells and armor, but I have not been able to get side scrapping to work the way it does in WoT. Do NOT expect to auto bounce shots fired at 70 degree+ angles the way you would in WoT. Going hull down still works well, and angling your hull makes your UFP harder to pen, but its just not the same as WoT.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

cheese posted:

All that really seems to matter is view range. MBT's have the worst, and by significant amount. Expect to experience light tanks and TDs and infantry fighting vehicles firing at you while remaining invisible.
Yeah basically. Spot range (aka view range ingame) is a big deciding factor for whether you get to poop out shells while pretending to be invisible, or get shot to death by invisible tanks. This is why you need scouts at front or get into really good cover. MBTs are pretty much hosed when alone unless you can afford to wait for enemy to come around corner.

cheese posted:

This has actually been the biggest disappointment so far. It might be a more accurate reflection of modern tank shells and armor, but I have not been able to get side scrapping to work the way it does in WoT. Do NOT expect to auto bounce shots fired at 70 degree+ angles the way you would in WoT. Going hull down still works well, and angling your hull makes your UFP harder to pen, but its just not the same as WoT.
Lack of angling is more due to higher penetration value of shells. But even without auto-bounce you can still bounce shells with good side armor. It's just that tanks with lower armor (eg. Leopard 1) are punished more for getting shot while tanks with good armor can afford to get hit. You just need 100 mm side armor angled at 15 degree (or 75 whichever way you prefer) to bounce pretty much every single shell.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jun 16, 2015

Crash74
May 11, 2009
Any word when the next test date is yet?

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Crash74 posted:

Any word when the next test date is yet?

Nope, but considering we still have a week to go for this test, that's not surprising.

Also there's been posts by devs (and silentstalker) on the forums saying that the next testing phase is gonna add a couple major features that we don't have yet, hinting at it being the retrofitting system and maybe hopefully PvE.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

cheese posted:

I hope GOTTA GO FAST vehicles with autocannons are viable all the way to top tier, because it is a riot to play.

I just got into a BMP-2 last night, and it still holds up at tier 5 for sure. I clipped out and killed a Leopard 2AV with my 7,000dpm murdercannon and he got very, very angry with me :smugdog:

Snakes in a can
May 14, 2014

cheese posted:

VBL is the "gotta go fast" vehicle, goes 90kph with no perks and with crew/commander skills it goes 110? Ive seen these circlejerk mbts to death.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Snakes in a can posted:

VBL is the "gotta go fast" vehicle, goes 90kph with no perks and with crew/commander skills it goes 110? Ive seen these circlejerk mbts to death.
I just saw one with missile launchers and I just watched him drive around the rest of the match when I died.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

cheese posted:

I just saw one with missile launchers and I just watched him drive around the rest of the match when I died.

Two shotted one in my LAV-300 after he thought he could just haul rear end right by me without getting a scratch.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The weirdest thing in AW is that the Swingfire is the one vehicle with all the view range. You'd think they'd give it to something with a bit less combat capability, BMP, AMX? Nah. Swagfire.

It's not as OP as the AW forums suggest- its DPS is really weak but it does dominate the low tier vehicles because it two-shots them.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
My experience playing Armored Warfare early access:

1. Pubbies bitching about MM

2. Pubbies bitching about RNG

3. Pubbies bitching about artillery

4. Pubbies retreating to A1 and camping ("sniping")

5. Pubbies bitching at the camping pubbies

It pretty much is a 100% copy of WOT. It's exactly what WOT would be like if nobody had XVM.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Well, where does most of the user base come from? It's not like there was an untapped source of players that had the common sense of a box of rocks that suddenly materialized when AW was released into test.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

My experience playing Armored Warfare early access:

1. Pubbies bitching about MM
To be fair, there is basically no MM right now. They seem to have it disabled to ensure people get fast games during the short test windows.

Snakes in a can
May 14, 2014

Only bad thing about mm is that t80s exist. You only have issues penning mbts from the front, they are paper on the sides. Everything else is usualy paper all around and easy pen. Its not like wot where side armor is valuable and your puny t8 gun struggles to sratch the paintjob on the side of the maus/is7/e100. Difference is if you flank a poo poo/unaware higer tier tank you can actually damage him.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Those aren't really MBT, they're heavy tanks. Even Tier 10 guns will have shots to sides bounce off occasionally :colbert: If you want similar comparison then there's T110E5. Even Tier 5 can pen that side.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Oh god, the m41 bulldog is making its way to armored warfare as a tier 2 light. If only it got the same autoloader 76mm that it has in WoT (it won't because I'm positive that was a made up gun/mechanic).

Snakes in a can
May 14, 2014

JuffoWup posted:

Oh god, the m41 bulldog is making its way to armored warfare as a tier 2 light. If only it got the same autoloader 76mm that it has in WoT (it won't because I'm positive that was a made up gun/mechanic).

Sort of, the 13 series tanks had a revolver style magazine, so the wot style clips is sorta right. Duno about the m41 though.

The m41c could be a neat premium, had a larger engine 90mm gun and smoke launchers.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Are they going to have any auto-loaders? I mean besides the Auto-cannon firing tanks.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

BadLlama posted:

Are they going to have any auto-loaders? I mean besides the Auto-cannon firing tanks.
Arn't a lot of the most modern MBT's autoloader using?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

BadLlama posted:

Not in the World of Tanks "revolver" style, at least not yet.

cheese posted:

Arn't a lot of the most modern MBT's autoloader using?

The Soviet MBTs from the T-64 up should all be using autoloaders, yes.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Schlesische posted:

The Soviet MBTs from the T-64 up should all be using autoloaders, yes.
Except their reload speed is slow in AW. High damage though.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Aesis posted:

Except their reload speed is slow in AW. High damage though.

IRL it was weird. Early ones were super slow. Newer as fast or (on-average) faster than hand loaded.

Its a game though so balance or w/e.

Snakes in a can
May 14, 2014

M41 confirmed it wont have a wot style autoloader, by everyones favorite sperglord

quote:

M41 Walker Bulldog autoloader

So we know the M41 Walker Bulldog is coming to Armored Warfare. In World of Tanks, the bulldog has the choice of two top guns, one being an autoloader. This didn’t quite seem historical when I first looked at it, and we have confirmation that the Armored Warfare version will not have an autoloader.

Nope it does not. ~SilentStalker, Content Manager

http://armoredtalk.com/2015/06/17/hotfix-in-armored-warfare-and-more-news-from-the-forums/

at-least they communicate with the players.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I have to give them credit they are good at keeping the community informed of things.

I PM'ed one of them via the forum about a player I recorded who may have been hacking asking where I should sent the link to and he replied within minutes. He even came back hours later to tell me they were looking into it further, asked me a couple of questions and thanked me for bringing it to his attention. I received yet another PM yesterday evening from the person on the dev team who was reviewing it and he cleared it up for me.. even though I was still skeptical of the explanation and the outcome but again, they went to great lengths unlike WG where your support tickets are replied to six months later as 'Thank you but gently caress off.'

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Panzeh posted:

The weirdest thing in AW is that the Swingfire is the one vehicle with all the view range. You'd think they'd give it to something with a bit less combat capability, BMP, AMX? Nah. Swagfire.

It's not as OP as the AW forums suggest- its DPS is really weak but it does dominate the low tier vehicles because it two-shots them.

The incredible view range plus high pen/damage missiles make it a bit of a monster in any kind of ranged fight. Even in the T-64 which can actually soak a few missiles from the front it's pretty dicey to try to advance with one around.

The ability to launch missiles over a hilltop with exposing yourself to enemy fire is also huge.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

Warbadger posted:

The incredible view range plus high pen/damage missiles make it a bit of a monster in any kind of ranged fight. Even in the T-64 which can actually soak a few missiles from the front it's pretty dicey to try to advance with one around.

The ability to launch missiles over a hilltop with exposing yourself to enemy fire is also huge.

However the whole design principle is to be able to fire over things and zone in on a target with the laz tower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
wjs I sent you an invite to join ISLAM.. is the battalion poo poo not working or are you afraid to join the goon jihad squad.

• Locked thread