Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Don't forget that eventually (before open beta apparently) there's supposed to be actual PvE content.

Anyway, game is rad, it's world of tanks but by a developer that isn't insane and also seems to take well reasoned approaches to things like 'balance' and 'design' and 'user input' and stuff, so that's pretty cool. Also, modern tanks are cool as hell.

e: Oh and for this next testing phase they set it it to 3x XP and 8x cash bonuses, so I guess they want basically everyone to get to the highest current tier, which is cool.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jun 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Panzeh posted:

I got to the BMP-1 and it played like absolute rear end. I wonder why it didn't have a missile.

It's supposed to have an early ATGM missile and I don't really understand why it doesn't, I think they might be adding it soon? A lot of upgrades and stuff are still super in flux so hopefully that happens.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
The patch is out, it's ~11 gigs.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
They removed the fantasy AP rounds from it so that should help a lot, at least with the HEAT rounds you have to be careful about where you aim when shooting at the front of a tank.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Yes, they do. ATGM damage seems bugged or something, but yeah tanks with gun-launchers can actually fire ATGMs.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Yeah, it's huge. Probably because they're more concerned about making the patching process easy on them right now than on us, so it might just be overriding files completely.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Yeah, that's why I posted, it took me a couple hours because it was only downloading at about 2 MB/s even though my connection can do 5 times that.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Armor actually being an effective thing now is great, although it makes the tier 5s legit scary if you're in something lower tier.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
They changed the way HE works so you're not gonna be able to put a serious hurt on fat tanks from the front anymore.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Game is open all weekend, starting tonight.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
So this is the time when the EU servers normally come on but apparently they accidentally started the US server instead of the EU one.

Whoops!

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I think a big thing is that HP doesn't really scale up that much as you go up the tiers right now. Like, going from tier 4 to tier 5 basically means I can survive an extra hit from tier 4 tanks, but tier 5 tanks still kill me in like 4-5 shots so the speed at which you get killed basically doesn't change as you go up tiers. I took like 1400 damage in two hits from a centauro in my t-72, which means basically any tank in the game can kill me in one hit at that point (~100 hp left). And that was from me exposing my upper frontal armor and turret twice while I was moving to some different cover, each time very very briefly. A lower tier tank would have been dead without even a chance to do anything, but my situation wasn't much better.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Yeah, but you want tanks to feel more powerful as you go up tiers, and a big part of that is having guns do more damage. They have that part down, but hp doesn't increase on the same scale as alpha damage so you just die more and more quickly. I think they should reduce the damage inflation a bit and increase HP inflation a bit, meet in the middle so to speak.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Warbadger posted:

You get better penetration, better armor, better gadget options (ERA/sensors/etc.), and usually better mobility.

Scaling HP quickly only increases the issues power scaling bring to the game by widening the gap betwene tiers. Not only is the guy 2 tiers over you dropping 50% more damage on you with a near identical tank, but now he takes 50% more on top of all of the other built in advantages coming with the newer tank? Why? Because he has a larger number next to his tank than you do, so he needs to feel powerful while shooting tanks with smaller numbers next to them? No thanks.

Increasing power difference between tiers doesn't really add anything positive to the game. Being a fodder tank isn't fun and with a matchmaking system that mixes tiers, you're going to be a fodder tank half the time. This also means the matchmaker must be a hell of a lot more granular and only allow small tier differences - something there's no benefit to and a lot of downsides as it stratifies the playerbase/increases queue times/decreases variety of vehicles in any given game/etc. It also stratifies content for the singleplayer portion. You're useless in a higher level mission because everything is a damage sponge and you die in 2 hits. You'd be similarly overpowered in a lower level mission.

I'd much rather the T-72A rolling up against a T-90 only have to deal with the T-90's advantages in reload speed, higher pen ammo, far better armor, ERA, active protection system, modern gun stabilizer, better sight range/whatever from modern sensor suite, etc. If he somehow outplays the dude in the T-90 and manages to put his shells through the armor, the T-72 should still be a real threat. Not just a case were you're sitting there plinking shots through his rear end for lovely damage until the moron realizes you're there, turns around to face you, and wrecks you in a single shot. I'd also rather it be possible for the T-90 to actually see a T-72A or T-64B in a match rather than just seeing other T-90s and M1A2s or whatever every single game because lol 90% of the tanks in the game either have only a fraction of their HP and damage or have shitloads more in both categories so we can't match them together!

A sense of progression is a really important thing in games, though, people want to feel like they're getting more powerful in a visible way, not just because their gun aims a bit better or fires a bit faster or whatever. They want bigger numbers.

I think if they cut alpha damage across the board by some percentage (say 20%) and boosted hp by a similar percentage across the board, you could make things feel at least a little more drawn out instead of the way it is now where half the tanks in the game can kill my t-72 in 3 shots (as opposed to the t-62 which dies in two shots to the same type of tanks). Everything dies incredibly quickly right now, basically regardless of tier.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
performance is one of the things they've barely done any work on, they improved it a noticeable amount between the last test and this one but they've said they're planning on doing a lot more work in terms of making it run better.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Crash74 posted:

Any word when the next test date is yet?

Nope, but considering we still have a week to go for this test, that's not surprising.

Also there's been posts by devs (and silentstalker) on the forums saying that the next testing phase is gonna add a couple major features that we don't have yet, hinting at it being the retrofitting system and maybe hopefully PvE.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
So they announced they're bringing t8 tanks to the next phase, and silenstalker has hinted pretty directly that they're also bringing the refit system and pve in the next phase, so it might not be that long till open beta at this rate.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Well, this phase ends on wednesday, and the time between the last phases was two weeks I think? So fingers crossed for something like that.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
This phase of testing is about to end and they've shown prelim patch notes for the next phase (hopefully starting in a week or two)

http://aw.my.com/en/forum/showthread.php?17826-Early-Access-3-Patchnotes/

Highlights: tier 8 tanks, PVE mode, decals for tanks, matchmaker improvements, more armor buffs and fixes for big tanks, penetration nerfs.
Cool poo poo, super curious about the PvE mode.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 23, 2015

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
They extended this phase through another 48 hour weekend with a new game mode/maps and double xp and triple cash income.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
So they've confirmed there will be no reset between this phase and 3 (which makes sense, since they're adding t8). And it's a full 48 hour weekend of uptime again, this time with double xp/triple credits.

e: Double xp is really cool

hopterque fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jun 27, 2015

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I'm kind of confused reading those posts because I only very, very rarely get into a match with people more than 1 tier above me. Hell, a pretty high percentage of the time I get matches that are all the same tier. This is with t4 and t5 tanks.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Warbadger posted:

Don't know what to tell you. Every game I've been in this morning has had a spread of 4-5 tiers. The game I'm currently in I'm top tier at tier 5, but there's a bunch of scorps and AMX-10's in it, too.

What server are you on, eu or na? if you're playing on NA when there's only like 200 people playing that would explain the difference.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I said right there I'm playing 4s and 5s. I might see a t7 once every five games or so in my t5s and basically never in my 4s.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
So are you guys all on the NA server because that would certainly explain the difference. EU superiority I guess.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
So the new patch is out and new phase has started, pve seems ok but the xp/cash reward is like 50% of pvp. The armor changes and penetration nerfs have slowed the pace down a lot, since you can actually expect to bounce most shots off your frontal armor if you cover weak spots. It's pretty cool.

Battles between main battle tanks actually take time and skill now instead of just "whoever can reload their gun the fastest", peaking and poking and angling armor and stuff. Pretty much every tank in the game has a really weak lower glacis so that's the thing to aim for and try and cover up. If you're fighting an equal tier MBT and he's hull down you can probably forget penetrating him from the front.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 1, 2015

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Agrajag posted:

50% of pvp sucks imo.

Agreed, I think they're planning on changing that number and this is just a starting point.

e: Also there's a button for purchasing premium time now, but they haven't given us any gold yet. The russian server did get gold apparently a day or two after the patch dropped for them ( a few days ago I guess) and they've said they're probably gonna give us some on the western servers too.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
MBTs as of this patch are giant scary armored monsters, actually. Like, when groups of mbts fight it's a slugfest that can last a good few minutes because armor actually works now and it's really cool. Now when you lumber around a corner into an lav-300 or whatever he'll actually go "oh poo poo, gently caress" and try and disengage or bounce shots off your front or whatever instead of unloading right through your front and killing you in like 10 seconds. Also they greatly improved MBT handling this patch, so while they're still slower than lights and TDs they're no longer crawling slowly up to 20kph and slowing to 5 in the corners. Even in the big, fat chieftain and m60a3 you're able to actually shift to different positions without it taking like two minutes, and those are the two slowest non arty tanks in the game. The t-72 feels downright quick.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
The first two tiers are awesome and can still gently caress up higher tier tanks with HE shells (especially the autocannon guys), though.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Panzeh posted:

The higher tier tanks have way too much HP for that, though. I remember the BMP-1 firing HE doing 50 damage a pop which is basically a pittance when he turns around and does 400.

Yeah but on the flip side you've got the lav-150 and to a lesser degree the m113 which can still dump hundreds of damage right through the front of enemy tanks regardless of armor, even after like 2 nerfs to its ability to do that.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
The pve rewards are bugged right now too, so you're only getting like half of what you should be rewards wise.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Agrajag posted:

lol half of 50%? ouch

No, it's not supposed to be 50%, it's supposed to be equal, more or less, with pvp. The problem is that you only get the payout for objectives completed and stuff and don't get the right amount of xp for damage done and kills, so the payouts are way smaller than they should be.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
They're giving everyone all premium tanks over the next 4 days I think, it's cool. Also a double xp weekend over the week, and a new patch.

e: I'm pretty much still waiting for the next phase, it's supposed to be another big patch/economy rebalance/adding the retrofit system.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

xthetenth posted:

So ever since hooking up a 3440x1440 screen, it thinks nx1440 resolutions are nx1414, even 2560x1440, which used to work fine.

What the hell.

I had that happen too with plain old 1080p, try switching from windowed fullscreen to just fullscreen and downrezzing, if it's anything like the problem i was having it'll just take a bit of fiddling to get it back to normal.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
That's the install files, so all that stuff. There's actually an option in the launcher that does it for you I think?

e: yeah if you click the dropdown arrow next to the play button there's a delete installation files option.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Magni posted:

Welp, T6 prems are unlocked now.

Seen some BMPT Terminators and holy poo poo that thing is ridiculous. The turret takes significantly less damage when hit compared to normal penetrations (like seemingly all unmanned turrets), the hull is the same as that of the T-90 two tiers higher (inluding the heavy ERA), it moves almost as fast as a light tank, the twin autocannons shred light vees like nothing and while the ATGMs take 24 seconds to load, it can then fire four of them without reloading. :stare:

I took my t-72 out for a spin after the servers came up and just devoured overconfident nerds in their shiny new premium tanks. Had like a 5 kill, 5k damage, 2500 base XP round.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

xthetenth posted:

Play the tier six premiums. I think they're fun as poo poo.

They are really fun. The mbt-70 and terminator are both strong as gently caress and you make an insane amount of money with the double rewards this weekend, like a really good match will just give you straight up a million credits.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So in other words, barring a nerf, which will probably not come for months because the BMP Terminator is a LoW-specific tank, it'll basically be a "gently caress you, I have discretionary income" premium that will enrage those who couldn't convince Mom to give up her credit card.

Nah it's not even nearly that bad, it's a really great tank if you know how to play it I think but I've been shredding them left and right in pretty much everything I drive because people are incredibly overconfident. Also they really draw shells like a giant magnet, if a terminator pops up on the map suddenly everyone is firing at it and the turret is a (reduced damage) autopen for basically every tank in the game including autocannon afvs and poo poo. The mbt-70 is probably the strongest tank out of the group because it's got almost a light tank's maneuverability and profile, but very strong armor and a high alpha high pen gun, so you can do things like trade shots with a guy on one side and then in the 10 seconds it takes to reload you can get basically to the other side of a map of that's where you're needed, or just keep slugging it out with whatever you're fighting.

Also you've got to remember that these are still beta versions of these tanks, and this is the first time they've been out in the wild, so they obviously want to take a look at how they're balanced and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they both get toned down a bunch.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Yeah there was word early on that the t6 premium terminator was gonna be the prototype one based on the t-72 hull which would have been totally fine (still pretty strong, I guess, but pretty manageable at t6), and the tier 8 non premium one was gonna be the full monty with the t-90 hull, but i'm not sure if they changed that or this is still placeholder stats or what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

demonR6 posted:

No idea, other than allowing me to create or and add dudes from in the game they made no intimation of how to use it or what it would do in the future. Find me in the TS and I can figure out how to add you. Is EA4 a thing yet?

It is a thing, started yesterday.

There was a reset but they credited all the xp and money you've earned as free xp so you can go buy whatever.

• Locked thread