Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

demonR6 posted:

gently caress me last night was a miserable gaming night. I think our platoon lost every match and they were all run away, one-sided poo poo fests where half the team was wiped out before we even had a chance to get into position. The culmination of the evening was running into the three fucktards from PBKAC who had a tier 7, 6 & 5 top tier in a tier 3 match. We were thoroughly and completely poo poo on. Everything I shot at the tier 7 was a ricochet.. three full on side shots from the M60 which should have done something.

We switched to botes and that was not better so we quit for the evening. I can't do failcascades anymore like I used to.

The pubbies are getting as bad as tanks pubbies too. I've had games where I'm more in front in my mbt while I realize the rest of my mbts are hiding further back. As in, our light tanks are in front of them. I did have some decent games, but I saw that a similar lopsided tier 6 on my team while the enemy team only had tier 4. Those first two tiers are the worst though. I kept playing like tanks trying to peek and poke. However, the tanks are equipped such that it is better to just go careening at full speed into the enemy. Just like low tier WoT.

I really really really want to try arty though. We all know I love that class of vehicle in WoT, so I'm curious how the difference in tactical play works out. Also to see how much angles take in here. Swingfires and sheridans can suck a big a dick. What are your defense against those things? Have a rock nearby to break los with them? The t62's armor isn't that good anyway, but it is less so when there are atgms flying around. Them things are more deadly than any artillery (though, those are annoying too).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

demonR6 posted:

Sounds like you are having a similar experience. "Oh poo poo, what the gently caress happened to our team? They're all dead?!" We had almost back to back maps I think where our top tier MBT would yolo out front without support and get killed and two minutes later we are down 8 tanks to none.

I had a game last night on that amazon forest map with the airfield in the middle. I had south spawn. Oddly, the system set everything up wrong, so it was 2 mbts and 2 tier 2 light tanks on the south spawn (I was one of those mbts). The north spawn had the entire rest of my team. As I'm driving forward, I realize that the other mbt turned and headed north leaving me and two lav-150s to handle south. It actually went better than north did, but we still lost because the enemy had 3 mbts on the south. We could really have used that 2nd mbt in the south to help counter them, but no.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Oh god, the m41 bulldog is making its way to armored warfare as a tier 2 light. If only it got the same autoloader 76mm that it has in WoT (it won't because I'm positive that was a made up gun/mechanic).

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
In world of tanks, the land would get red patches years ago. The cause was a memory leak which made the game run out of texture space so got red instead.
Is this a first launch issue or after several games? If at launch, I don't know and perhaps post it up on their forums if you haven't already.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Insert name here posted:

"The tank takes up a good 85/90% of the circle, good enough" *shot careens straight into the ground*

EVERY
GODDAMN
TIME

Sounds like World of Tanks all over again. Nothing like missing because your cone found the one pixel that wasn't the enemy tank to zip by so they can turn their turret and finish you with a snap shot.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Warbadger posted:

Nobody complains about your plane getting knocked out of the air based on destroyed subsystems/pilots or instantly blown up when somebody shoved a single 37mm exploding cannon shell through it or mowed through you in 2 seconds of .50 fury, it's pretty drat fun.

They fixed that? Last time I played WT, that was exactly the issue. Americans held on you porcupine 50 cals that started bouncing by like tier 4 or 5. Meanwhile, all the other nations started mixing in cannons that ripped up planes. Sometimes in a single shot or burst. This is all not counting the tier 10 jets showing up in like tier 7 matches with no one able to counter them

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Is Armored Warfare still in beta? They're releasing patches slower than World of Tanks does. For a long time there WoT was updating with a little less than a month between patches because they had a lot of poo poo to add or change. Armored Warfare seems like it needs to be changing far more often than it currently is.

I'll be honest I'd probably be playing a bunch of PvE if I didn't need to play the same goddamn map three times in a row. That poo poo totally kills my enjoyment.

What kills my enjoyment is that it is the same 3 maps, and yet the players still can't fathom how to play them.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

Apparently EU and RU or w/e are still pretty active. It just failed totally PVP-wise in NA for some reason.

I know the reason.

Because the PVP is bad at higher tiers you see

Also, the na player base are the same mouthbreathers from wot.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
That is the problem with these match making games. If there isn't a sizeable playerbase behind it, the game will just slowly die away because the matchmaker takes too long or you get less optimal matchups for lack of anything better.

I think war thunder (at least in planes) tried to deal with this to some extent by adding bots to re balance the teams and keep full teams. Steel Ocean is suffering from this playerbase problem as well. If you grind too fast, you'll suddenly find the match maker devoid of anything but 3v3 games. Grind too slowly, and the same happens. But if you grind at a similar rate to the pubbies, you'll get optimal and fun matches. World of Warplanes is another sufferer. Even if they fixed the controls and actually got it fun to play, you wouldn't know because the playerbase has gotten so small that the matchmaker doesn't have a wide enough pool anymore to play with.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
So I gotta ask. I've been poking at armored warfare a bit lately, and all the loot crate ui is just filler. Is this the same on other people as well? Like, "ui_lootcrate_info" for the text field. I've seen that in other places as well. I've been wondering if that is normal, or if my client got patched wrong and the actual text for those variables got missed.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Scutty posted:

I have not see that text so I'm not sure what you are talking about. The loot boxes were moved to the inventory now located on the top toolbar where the base used to be.

Gotta screenshot?

Edit: Another example of just opening a crate:

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 6, 2016

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Ok, what is the story with these premium tank sales and their random attributions? Specifically, I pre-ordered the game long ago for the exp, terminator, and mbt-70. I then later bought the abbot, because I wanted an arty to play with. Then I stopped playing and only recently came back. In that time, I gained a second abbot (one is a t3 and one is a t4). Now, the point of this post is more about the black november sale. As I said, I already had an exp tank and terminator. I now have two of each. One of the base skin they've always had and now a second set with the reaper skin.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Scutty posted:

Yep. Since you preordered a founder's pack you get the reaper tanks for completing 5 missions. It was a limited time thing so yay you!
I'm not sure about the abbots. I got one with a collectors edition and I'm not sure how I got the other but I have it too.

I don't remember ever seeing any info about that mission, but good to know. Now I have two pretty overpowered terminators. I still can't decide on ap or he with the autocannons on it though.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Holy poo poo AW got around to Balance 2.0 before Wargaming, even though Wargaming's been talking about it for years longer than AW has existed.

Probably because wargaming is still struggling with arty while AW gave up and removed it just like players in both games wanted.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Nordick posted:

That looks like a whole bunch of good poo poo. It's pretty encouraging that Obsidian aren't reluctant to majorly overhaul poo poo like that when necessary.

I especially like different ammo types having more unique properties. And the whole standardized hitpoint pool and damage shebang. Actually I just like most everything I read in those articles.

Here's hoping it all works in practice as well. I would be sincerely happy if this game finally took off properly.

They can toss everything out the door and start over when it comes to balance right now because the game is still listed as open beta. Not a retail launch.

I'm now sitting on 46 steel containers and 45 bronze containers. And I have no desire to open any of them because the rewards just aren't worth it. I do open the silver+ boxes because of the platinum stuff.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Hremsfeld posted:

Speaking of, their Christmas sale's going on now. If you fell like dropping the $222 needed for 70,000 gold then you - yes, you - could be the proud owner of every single premium tank in the game except the IS-7, including all the regular vehicles but with weird paint jobs, the :patriot:-XM1 that's so American it fires bald eagles out of its main cannon, the Taifun II, and the Taifun II but with a bird on it.

Or you could just buy most-but-not-all of them individually.

That said, the mbt-70 is a fun tank if you don't have one. Nothing beats saying gently caress you than with 600 damage heat shells coming out of a tier 6 mbt.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Balance 2.0 compensation has been listed out. Premium vehicles will be touched. The big news is this line:

quote:

One unique case will be Centauro 120 WOLF. To keep the “follow the original” rule, Centauro 120 WOLF will become the first and only Tier 9 Premium vehicle. From this point onwards the Centauro 120 will no longer be sold in any form. Period.

the rest of the info is here:

https://aw.my.com/gb/news/general/balance-20-compensation

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
https://aw.my.com/us/news/general/update-019-preview

0.19 includes balance 2.0. Proving a speedier resolve to it than wargaming has. Skirmish is an interesting feature I didn't know about. Basically, it'll switch to a skirmish set up if the MM can't find more than a 3v3 or 5v5 setup in timer. Skirmish is a smaller map of specific maps right now. Pretty exciting and interesting to see how it plays out.

Edit: dev diary out as well on balance 2.0 some more:
https://aw.my.com/us/news/general/developer-digest-pt24

Key things to note: HESH will be its own type instead of a HE sub as it is now. Also, pen is still to low they say. The targetting indicator showing green will no longer mean a 100% pen chance. But will instead show a 50% pen chance.

quote:

"Did the sniping change in Balance 2.0?
Yes. We improved the zoom factor of Tank Destroyers to 20x. The MBTs on the other hand only have 12x zoom factor. Other classes will have 15x.

That should be in WoT as well, but wargaming will need to find a way to break the ability for people to mod zoom levels.

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 5, 2017

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
New dev q&a:

https://aw.my.com/us/news/general/developer-qa-session-1

There is quite a few questions concerning the na's dwindling population. However, I saw this and figured it might be worth sharing:

quote:

What is the general principle (announced with Balance 2.0) that will make high Tier MBTs strong enough (with reliable front armor) yet more vulnerable (less "pixel hunting")? How is that possible without complicating things above and beyond baseline understanding of average participant?

Higher Tier MBTs will generally have one larger weak point on the hull while their turrets are difficult to penetrate. They will have the highest Hit Points out of all the vehicles in each Tier, so even with a more reliable armor vulnerability they have the power to outlast other vehicles when slugging it out. While their on-road mobility remains high, their off-road mobility be reduced compared to 0.18, giving lighter vehicles a better chance to engage and disengage. APS effectiveness will be reduced, making MBTs more vulnerable to ATGMs, but their strongest armor is still thick enough to defend against poorly aimed missiles. Finally, automatic track repair time for broken treads will take long which leaves MBTs more vulnerable to being flanked or destroyed while immobilized from being tracked unless the repair kit consumable is used. MBTs will continue to be a strong class that can project power wherever they deploy, but they will be less able to ignore the threats other classes represent than in the past.

This is interesting. I wonder then how longer track repair times on heavies in WoT would affect gameplay there. Of course, the maps would need to be changed as well considering flanking in a light tank isn't exactly possible there thanks to alleyway maps.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
:frogsiren:https://aw.my.com/us/news/general/introducing-balance-20-pts:frogsiren:

2.0 pts feb 7-12.

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Feb 2, 2017

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
https://aw.my.com/us/news/general/mycom-adopts-future-work-armored-warfare

Obsidian is let go. Game will be completely inhouse by my.com. So I guess all the obisidian pinky swears about micro transactions not happening is null and void as well. IIRC, my.com has a habit of nickel and dime-ing people in their other games, so it was a fear here. Soemthing obsidian denied would happen. Except obsidian is no longer part of the development.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Have you checked your region by chance? The launcher will sometime switch to EU for me without input. When I log in, I'll see some pre-order tanks and tier 1s. On US, all my progress is there however.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
https://aw.my.com/us/news/general/balance-20-artillery

Arty is going back to indirect fire mode. But gains more damage and more mobility than is current. To counter this, they will only be able to be played in pve. AI arty will also no longer exist. So they are gone, but not gone.

https://aw.my.com/us/news/general/introducing-storyline-campaign

New pve mode basically. Apparently sets the stage on what is going on lore-wise. No information on the ultimate reward for completing the campaign though.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Judicator65 posted:

No guarantee it's PvE only. They mention all modes, so there is a good chance for PvP and Global Ops components.

Well, I'm assuming set pieces where you move from point to point and learn things on the way. Unlike the WoWS and WoT models where you just do x amount of some task in a certain tier/tank (or ship) combo to advance to the next set of tasks. The only way to attain such a controlled enviroment will have to be via pve.

Speaking of lore, have your first bit:
https://aw.my.com/us/news/general/lore-world-armored-warfare

TLDR: World went to poo poo, no one had the balls to call out the corporations. Corps got given land/rights by countries to help them stay solvent (short term only, they crumbled eventually). Now corps run the world and the corporations all have their own military branch. This all comes up by 2030. So we are playing a game with "modern" tanks in a world 15 years later where apparently no r&d was spent by any corporation on newer toys to help protect and gain new assets.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Are you ready?

https://aw.my.com/us/news/general/tanks-reloaded-launching-april-20th

Balance 2.0 is coming on april 20th.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I don't know if the servers are up yet as they had originally listed them to be offline all day. But the announcement notes are up for the big patch. Likewise, I can tell you to be ready as it is a 10.29gb sized patch.

https://aw.my.com/us/news/general/introducing-update-019-tanks-reloaded

Edit: Server just came up. There is a contest that gives gold and platinum crates by just playing the game a couple times a day.
https://aw.my.com/us/news/general/celebrating-tanks-reloaded

Also, there is now a tier 10 arty. It is a comedy thing. Centauro 155. Take the 8 wheeled centauro hull and put some comedy turret on it, call it arty.

Edit2: Uhhh, tier 9 arty can pen light tanks for 1k damage. I placed 3rd on my team at 11k damage dealt. There was a centauro 155 on my team as well. He did 3k. He also complained about arcs being nerfed. I found this odd since he is complaining about a tank that didn't exist in the game until today. SPGs are pretty fun for pve matches since they removed all the barriers given them (they can actually move now) and don't have to worry about counter battery or spend time counter batterying.

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 20, 2017

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I'm not bothering to reset. I got a free tier 9 arty, a tier 9 td (the centauro 120 got moved up) and accidently got a tier 8 afv because the bradley also made the jump. That isn't counting the comedy of my bmpt terminators going from tier 6 to tier 8 (and at that level, autocannons kind of suck, but atgms are way better now).

Also, if you have an abbot during the split, they went funky on you. The tier 3 stayed behind, but the tier 4 was sold back for gold for you. You can go right back and get it if you wish. However, I really don't see why. I also gained 12mil credits and I have no idea how or why.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It demounted and auto-sold your retrofits for the "MSRP" price. Hope you bought all that poo poo when it was on special. Literally no reason to even play again until another sale happens because...why?

I think only one tank had a retrofit mounted. Otherwise, I have no idea. I also noticed that my pzh arty went from barely having any rep in it at patch time to being nearly max rep (2 games later got the centauro 155 unlocked). THat is why I have no idea what happened there.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I honestly haven't tried pvp yet. I'm still adjusting to some of the tank changes in general.

As an example of it, autocannon tanks are a mixed bag that ends up being an overall nerf it feels. For the buff, they have 1s clip reloads. So there is no longer a need to reset your clip between kills. Or in the case of the fox cry because a clip couldn't kill even soft targets in pve matches. On the other hand, the armor changes has meant that their guns just don't do jack poo poo unless you are shooting the tank's rear. This even goes as far as including the premium terminators.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Protip in pve. If you are driving a mbt and can get up to a good speed (the challenger even at full speed is too slow though), ram light tanks. I just did 1k damage to one of those ultra light tanks in my t-72b. Ultralight as in a vbl or something. I couldn't stop laughing after it happened. So yeah, ram everything.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Hellsau posted:

the playerbase in this game is terrible and why the gently caress does a tier 4 arti have more hp than a tier 5 light

The playerbase is amazing. I've lost pve games. I have no idea how that was possible even before balance 2.0, but these players did it anyway.

Also, another pve tip. Fire atgms whenever possible. It is like old heat shells, but aps still doesn't work because it is hard to be shooting outside of 250m thanks to the corridor effect on most maps. And also because of the way things spawn.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Sounds like a good time to test out the bat 155 58 again.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Have fun with your 0 damage direct hits :( French arti is real bad right now, even worse than it was before the patch.

Right, I didn't expect that to change. I more meant the fact that it having a larger splash radius and the stun. Plus the mobility to get into place and an autoloader could make for some great comedy on perma stunning groups of enemies. It still requires others to left click which is difficult.

JuffoWup posted:

The playerbase is amazing. I've lost pve games. I have no idea how that was possible even before balance 2.0, but these players did it anyway.

Also, another pve tip. Fire atgms whenever possible. It is like old heat shells, but aps still doesn't work because it is hard to be shooting outside of 250m thanks to the corridor effect on most maps. And also because of the way things spawn.

I want to update on this a bit. I'm not sure on aps distances anymore, so ignore my statement on that. What I do know is that it highly depends on WHICH tanks should be abusing their atgms. I tried on my t-72b and it was a complete disaster compared to just using heat. It was not penning on some really dumb stuff.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
many of the losses I have been a part of involved sniping mbts who wouldn't get up front to take the damage. Especially the autocannon tanks. A mbt just laughs, and these guys would rather hide. And if they are spotted, smoke grenades and full reverse are immediately used to remove themselves from the situation.

This has the bomus effect that all the support tanks behind them are either suddenly in front or stand there blind as the clock ticks unable to see the enemy.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
"Hey guys, please play our game"

https://aw.my.com/us/news/general/manowar-showdown

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Hellsau posted:

I don't even want a lovely razor headset that'll die in three months. They're giving out three lovely headsets to the three poopsockiest players. No thanks.

That is why I quoted the whole "please play our game, please." It reminds me of that cross promotion thing WG did to have people for e3 attendees to play with in World of Warplanes.

Also, if you do effort your way up the tree, make a side run to the t-80U. It is the end of that little split and doesn't seem like much, but it is the perfect tank for pve. Why? Well, it is a mbt. It has typical sloped russian bullshitium armor. However, unlike most mbts, this thing has the speed of those light tanks. It allows you to really flex around the map in a hilarious fashion. Alternatively, you can just ram everything for comedy.

As for premiums, the merkava is a wierd rear end tank. They had said leading up to this patch that it was going to get an update by adding its era armor. That didn't happen. Instead, it got the new ready rack thing. What this means is that it is the only MBT in the game with a 3 shot autoloader type mechanic. However, there is still a glacial 4s reload between each shot. Followed by a 20s reload to refill the ready rack before you get 3 more shots again. It feels like you are playing a maus with some strange autoloader attached. IE, armored, heavy, and slow.

The terminators are absolute junk though. The rockets are ok, but the autocannons are pointless. I kind of miss the multiple light tank pubbies that would race ahead of me in a mbt and then get face melted by a terminator or two before they could get away.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
0.20 garage changes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0z5Uriq5mA

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

I didn't know pve was so hard, but apparently this group thought so.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
0.2 arrived. That garage UI wasn't a joke:

The rest of the notes are here:
https://aw.my.com/us/news/general/introducing-update-020-tanks-reloaded

Main highlights appears to be some fixes to the t-90 and t-90a armor schemes. Still ongoing they said, but some fixes are in with this patch. Likewise, TDs got a bit of a buff with some vehicles getting ready racks (auto loader basically) and also accuracy buff. Also, arty fire rate buff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Welp, apparently the oft mentioned storyline isn't what you thought it would be:
https://aw.my.com/us/news/general/storyline-campaign-episode-1

Yup, it is just website competition thing.

• Locked thread