Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
My experience playing Armored Warfare early access:

1. Pubbies bitching about MM

2. Pubbies bitching about RNG

3. Pubbies bitching about artillery

4. Pubbies retreating to A1 and camping ("sniping")

5. Pubbies bitching at the camping pubbies

It pretty much is a 100% copy of WOT. It's exactly what WOT would be like if nobody had XVM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Nobody's playing anything today. It's a wasteland.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

cheese posted:

To be fair, there is basically no MM right now. They seem to have it disabled to ensure people get fast games during the short test windows.

Oh, I get it - it's the people bitching about it in chat that don't. I can't even play long enough to get out of tier 1 because of the nonsense. Is there an option in this game to turn off chat? It would make my experience 100x better because I don't care about winning in this game.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey it might be a good idea to have a post with usernames, because I don't know who the gently caress anybody is in that game except for me, and I am KaiserSchnitzel.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Plan Z posted:

Yeah, because pubs got so much better when grinds were increased. I'll trade in your fantasy world for the fact that I don't have to score 20 wins to get a set of tracks, 20 wins for a medium turret, 35 wins for a mid-tier gun, 40 wins for another turret, and 65 wins for the top tier gun so I can grind out 80 more wins for engines and 100+ more wins for the next tank, meanwhile getting poo poo on by the xp system because Garbad is the only good player on my team and got artied 25 seconds into the match again.

This is the most compelling reason to play AW.

The game will never be as competitive as World of Tanks. I'm fine with that. I still like World of Tanks quite a bit more than AW. I'm fine with that, too. I will never turn chat on in AW, ever, and I may actually come to find it relaxing. I already know that the playerbase consists of people that couldn't handle World of Tanks; I'm not expecting genius gameplay from my team. But right now, it's something different that lets me keep WOT in perspective. War Thunder couldn't do that because it's so different than WOT. AW, on the other hand, is...pretty much exactly like world of tanks without garage nonsense and ridiculous upgrade costs.

Actually I must admit the tank upgrade system in AW is very well done. In World of Tanks, it's so tedious that anymore I never grind modules at all; I unlock a tank and don't play it until I've put the top gear on it. Once you have like 100 tanks in your garage...why would you play a gimped one?

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

hopterque posted:

But world of tanks' competitive balance is garbage, and saying that the population of this game is people who "couldn't handle world of tanks" is pretty stupid. The population is pretty largely people who used to like world of tanks and want a game like it but not designed by insane funhating morons looking to make as much money ripping off idiots as possible.. That's the category I fall under. It's also an extra funny attitude to have since quite a few players from the major 'good' clans in WoT are, if not permanently switching because there's no clan focused gameplay yet, definitely out and about in game and I'd say the average level of player skill right now is significantly higher than the average world of tanks match, although this is definitely a side effect of still having to pay to play the game until thursday.

Let me back off from that statement I made as hyperbole. I enjoy Armored Warfare and based that overbroad statement on the context of the general dipshit level of person threatening Wargaming about leaving WOT for AW on the WOT forums, and also from what I saw on the AW forums - which I will likely never visit again, or at least not for a long, long time. It wasn't entirely fair to equate all players with those screamers.

Edit: seriously I can sometimes be a dick when I do not mean to be one, and sometimes typing words rather than saying them in person changes the message from its intended form. Either case could apply here.

KaiserSchnitzel fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 6, 2015

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Between the Lord of War package and the Emperor Collector's edition - that's...a hell of a lot of tanks, gold, and credits.

Lord of War...Expeditionary Tank, BMPT Terminator, MBT 70, 2S14 Zhako-S, unique commander, 90 days of premium, and like 6000 gold, which was enough to buy all of the other premium tanks available for sale in-game.

Emperor gives you...Mowag Taifun II, RDF / LT, 6 mos premium, 6M credits, 6500 gold, and an ADDITIONAL +25% credit/exp bonus for two weeks. It also comes with three of the premiums you can buy in-game, LAV 150-90, F 433 Abbott, Object 430.

I didn't really mind spending the $70 for Lord of War even though I didn't get to participate too much in the early testing, because I know it's a game I am going to play. But I gotta tell you, this second $70 is WELL spent. If you were planning to buy premium account time, Emperor is the way to go. Very nice indeed.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

I said come in! posted:

I got that pack that was available for free on Gamespot, it got you 5 premium tanks, 8000 gold, and 90 days of premium. :eyepop:

All I can say is they are doing a very commendable job of doing things to entice people to play the game. I'm never turning chat on, though. At least through the honeymoon phase.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hellsau posted:

PvP is horrific. I got my five wins, but it was loving torture, and the wins were total blowouts, and the losses were total blowouts, where my contributions were completely meaningless since we won our side of the fight convincingly and the other side also won so why the gently caress did I even bother playing.

also do not even try to attempt teamwork - if you suggest something reasonable, such as focus on the two 100 hp Bagelpanzers sitting in the open not behind cover on the high ground, your teammates will go low into four previously spotted enemy tanks, get hit by them, back off and get shot from across the map because why do anything logical, gently caress that Hellsau guy, also after that I commissared the surviving member of that group because why wouldn't I.

Well, when you populate a game with players that hate World of Tanks, and a good 80% of them are absolutely awful at World of Tanks, what you get is a game full of absolute retards.

That. plus the racecar-like speeds and focus on firepower over armor for all but one class equals a snowball blowout 9/10 games where the first team to be down two tanks is guaranteed to lose. This game would benefit GREATLY from respawning in PVP.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

I just logged in today on a whim and saw that my garage progress had been wiped, and that in the end, all I have is a bunch of lovely premiums, most of which have never been played, many of which are just the same tank with different paint, and I think to myself: "this is how a boring F2P game dies: not with a bang, but with a lovely Russian developer doing an actual bait-and-switch."

(As opposed to Wargaming that merely gets accused of it)

And the forums...oh god, the forums...

And not that I regret buying some premium tanks for this game that will never get released - I understand exactly what I was buying - but between this and everything else going on in the age of "early access" video games I don't think I'm ever spending a nickel on unfinished games ever again. I would every once in a while "reserve a copy" (I refuse to say pre-order) a game when they both a) were delivered on disc; and b) might actually be in short supply on release day - but I haven't purchased a physical copy of any game on any system in years. And this poo poo wasn't even crowdfunded. buying premium content for a F2P game not even "released" is just nonsense.

It is pretty funny that a game that was sold to the community as "it's not World of Tanks" is DOA specifically because "it's (not) World of Tanks."

Not that I hope it doesn't turn out to be good if and when it ever actually gets through development. I do hope it turns out OK. I just hope I can remember my user ID and password then, because lovely Russian developers have a nasty habit of telling me "we have no record of your transactions, comrade."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

JuffoWup posted:

Have you checked your region by chance? The launcher will sometime switch to EU for me without input. When I log in, I'll see some pre-order tanks and tier 1s. On US, all my progress is there however.

Atomizer posted:

I did notice that the launcher had switched me over to EU, by the way.

yeeeah so that worked. Thanks.

• Locked thread