Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Sober posted:

Yeah from my impression it might've been miniseries stuff, but okay, good for him if he thinks he has 4 seasons (40-52 episodes) worth of material to stretch out to.
That's exactly what has been my reservation since the beginning. The series is OK right now, I just don't think I'm willing to invest into four-five seasons. I'll probably drop out after this one.

Not to mention quibbles such as that technology is going to be completely different in 4-5 years, and this is the one series where it's really going to matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I know discussion is just that... discussion, but I find it hard to count against or worry about a show's future seasons if it is good now. And it is good now. So I'm happy with it, now.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Goons - finding fault since the internet was good.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I'm not sure if its because they're all so subdued around the resident tyler durden, but are the hackers supposed to be just really boring and bland when compared to everyone else? Well, besides the resident craziest crazy girl. Like I'm not even sure why the crew is as big as it is?

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
still rooting for slater's reality identity to be a gaslighting NSA and/or illuminati agent

this show was better when it was more like rubicon

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
It's the fourth episode you loving sperglords holy poo poo.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah but you don't understand, it's obviously poo poo and the writers are making stuff up as they go, and and and

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

evilmiera posted:

I'm not sure if its because they're all so subdued around the resident tyler durden, but are the hackers supposed to be just really boring and bland when compared to everyone else? Well, besides the resident craziest crazy girl. Like I'm not even sure why the crew is as big as it is?

If they spent this episode fully fleshing out each fsociety member then we wouldn't be able to complain about Elliot's withdrawal :v:

There are only four of them aside from Elliott and Mr. Robot, so I feel like that's a pretty good size for a group wanting to disrupt the biggest corporation in (presumably) the world. Darlene (crazy girl) has been building slowly since the start, we got to see more of the older guy's personality, the fat guy is your hacker stereotype, and the Muslim girl is interesting because of her participation in this despite her devout faith. It's still way early on so there's plenty of time to explain each one's usefulness to fsociety and why they're taking part.

What was particularly jarring to me was how Elliot took control of the plan and whenever anyone questioned it he was always standing by Mr. Robot, but they never complained directly to Mr. Robot. It's gonna be really weird if there isn't a Durden scenario going on.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

meristem posted:

That's exactly what has been my reservation since the beginning. The series is OK right now, I just don't think I'm willing to invest into four-five seasons. I'll probably drop out after this one.

Not to mention quibbles such as that technology is going to be completely different in 4-5 years, and this is the one series where it's really going to matter.

Bash has been around forever and isn't going anywhere. And social hacking will always be a thing just different ways of doing it. I don't see future creep ruining this show.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

why are there people acting like choosing to watch a show is a big life decision and they may have to 'drop out' like they're failing college

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Trabandiumium posted:

why are there people acting like choosing to watch a show is a big life decision and they may have to 'drop out' like they're failing college

The fear of missing out is real

Ape Gone Insane
Dec 10, 2010

Trabandiumium posted:

you've just like described every tv show thread in existence

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
no, i like it, actually quite a bit

just even better with the conspiracy theory poo poo

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

My only real gripe was how they are trying to portray Elliott as a mentally ill guy with crippling depression due to loneliness who then immediately has sex with a hot girl who lives across the hall and its implied that its not the first time.

I suppose depression is one of those things that some people isolate well and keep from showing (I know I have in the past) but it doesnt really seem like his life is all that bad. well paying job in a field he is interested in, hot chicks all over him, hobby/interest to pursue.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Laserface posted:

My only real gripe was how they are trying to portray Elliott as a mentally ill guy with crippling depression due to loneliness who then immediately has sex with a hot girl who lives across the hall and its implied that its not the first time.

I suppose depression is one of those things that some people isolate well and keep from showing (I know I have in the past) but it doesnt really seem like his life is all that bad. well paying job in a field he is interested in, hot chicks all over him, hobby/interest to pursue.

Depression has nothing to do with reality.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Really hope they get to play off Eliot's relentless whiteknighting and largely unreciprocated dependency from the majority of the cast. At least with Portia Doubleday's character he has a deeply internalized, repressed emotional codependency, and I'm glad they effectively killed off any chance of a rote romance between the two in the key/wedding dress scene, his romance with Kayla seems more like experimentation and quizzical observation than anything serious. That being said, at least his whole situation for the time being neatly contrasts with Tyrell's, who, besides his BDSM wife, really has no one rooting for him or is dependent upon him outside of a corporate standpoint. While Eliot has slowly and begrudgingly committed to the fsociety scheme, Tyrell is wholly driven by his will to power, something Eliot is entirely disengaged from.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Did they definitively establish that Tyrell got the CTO position, since he seemed brushed aside for another candidate in the 3rd episode, but was mentioned as E's CTO in a news broadcast in the next episode? Or is this another weird point just manipulable by the unreliable narrator conceit?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

steakmancer posted:

Did they definitively establish that Tyrell got the CTO position, since he seemed brushed aside for another candidate in the 3rd episode, but was mentioned as E's CTO in a news broadcast in the next episode? Or is this another weird point just manipulable by the unreliable narrator conceit?

I missed this in the latest episode, but I can't imagine why they'd put that in if it wasn't the case after him seeking n scheming for the job was a major plot in a previous episode.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

Laserface posted:

Clinical depression has nothing to do with any of those things.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Laserface posted:

The brain generates the mind and the brain is made out of meat, a construction material known to be unreliable.

To learn more about depression, I very strongly recommend this public lecture from a neurobiologist who's so drat good he's kind of a badass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOAgplgTxfc

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Shoren posted:

If they spent this episode fully fleshing out each fsociety member then we wouldn't be able to complain about Elliot's withdrawal :v:

There are only four of them aside from Elliott and Mr. Robot, so I feel like that's a pretty good size for a group wanting to disrupt the biggest corporation in (presumably) the world. Darlene (crazy girl) has been building slowly since the start, we got to see more of the older guy's personality, the fat guy is your hacker stereotype, and the Muslim girl is interesting because of her participation in this despite her devout faith. It's still way early on so there's plenty of time to explain each one's usefulness to fsociety and why they're taking part.

What was particularly jarring to me was how Elliot took control of the plan and whenever anyone questioned it he was always standing by Mr. Robot, but they never complained directly to Mr. Robot. It's gonna be really weird if there isn't a Durden scenario going on.

The one you called the fat guy reminds me of Lesnick, the community guy for Star Citizen. I keep expecting him to crack awful jokes and awkwardly discuss spaceships with Darlene.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

steakmancer posted:

He's interim CTO. He's just not getting the job permanently and will be expected to step down when the new guy gets it.

shit is weak
May 17, 2008

Slaw doggin' it
For a show based on 4chan, this shits pretty great.

edit: Who the hell tries to turn down a raise?

shit is weak fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 21, 2015

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender
I know everything is pointing towards this being Elliot's Fight Hack Club but I'm hoping that we're actually watching The Game with Tyrell as the mastermind pulling all the strings.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST
I'm disappointed, I thought by now someone would be dissecting the dream sequence in minute detail for clues as to What's Really Happening. I guess this show isn't quite popular enough yet to warrant that level of (over)analysis, or maybe people just don't bother doing that any more. I blame Lost.

A lot of it(like all the stuff with the keys) seemed to be kind of rote dream symbolism, but the line Angela has when she says "You were only born a month ago" is interesting. Given the show's only been on the air that long, is Elliot moving toward an awareness that his life is a fictional construct? There's already a degree of fourth-wall breaking going on with the narration directly addressing the viewers. But then you've got events happening all the time outside the purview of the main character, which kind of puts a hole in that theory.

This Post Sucks
Dec 27, 2004

It Gave Me Splinters!

Krailor posted:

I know everything is pointing towards this being Elliot's Fight Hack Club but I'm hoping that we're actually watching The Game with Tyrell as the mastermind pulling all the strings.

I really, really want this to be the case, too.

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011

Castle Radium posted:

A lot of it(like all the stuff with the keys) seemed to be kind of rote dream symbolism, but the line Angela has when she says "You were only born a month ago" is interesting. Given the show's only been on the air that long, is Elliot moving toward an awareness that his life is a fictional construct?
I took that to be directed to the imaginary friend (i.e. the audience stand-in) Elliot created and began talking to a month ago (when the series started to air). I want to say this is probably the intended interpretation, as, after the end of the weird hallucinations, he greets his friend as if they have been separated for a while.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
I laughed my rear end off at Eliot having 4chan open in a background tab in the second episode

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Trabandiumium posted:

You don't want to wake up one day and realize you've wasted 80 precious hours of your life that you could have spent watching anime and playing video games.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Frackie Robinson posted:

You don't want to wake up one day and realize you've wasted 80 precious hours of your life that you could have spent watching anime and playing video games.

Or reading an internet forum where people tell others that they're not going to watch a TV show anymore!

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I'll be the one who's laughing in 3-5 years, you'll see!

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

savinhill posted:

I'll be the one who's laughing in 3-5 years, you'll see!

The joke's on you, I already know what I'm in for, I watched Lost.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008

Accretionist posted:

The brain generates the mind and the brain is made out of meat, a construction material known to be unreliable.

To learn more about depression, I very strongly recommend this public lecture from a neurobiologist who's so drat good he's kind of a badass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOAgplgTxfc

That was fascinating lecture. Cheers for the link.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008

Good Will Hrunting posted:

The joke's on you, I already know what I'm in for, I watched Lost.

I think I'm grateful to that Lost. No mystery in television can ever hurt me again.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That's... a little harsh.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
There's a special kind of tension that comes from making your show about the most socially awkward person to ever exist. His every human encounter is an :ohdear: moment.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This episode is super dark.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Everything is always happening so much on this show. :psyduck:

Soundtrack is jammin tho.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
So I think this episodes puts the obvious Mr. Robot is Tyler Durden theory to the test.

He is obviously interacting with the other characters and even breaking poo poo in this episode. It could still be a Fight Club situation where they are the same person but split personality, but its not as completely obvious as it was in the first couple episodes. I still think they could go either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I gotta admit, this was a really good episode. But unless this show can prove by next week that Sam Esmail has a truly satisfying ending in mind and it'll never spin its wheels on the way to that ending then I'm gonna have to drop it

• Locked thread