Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Elias_Maluco posted:

I also think the writing did seem to be a little weaker, and the scene where Elliot wins the hacker world cup in 2 minutes just to have access to a computer was quite over the top
Yeah, didn't it seem a little more "Hollywood hacking" style than normal? Like suddenly we were seeing something out of the 90s Hackers movie where there are these loud nightclubs with a bunch of cool people working on computers.

Are they going to Hack the Gibson next?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

JazzFlight posted:

Yeah, didn't it seem a little more "Hollywood hacking" style than normal? Like suddenly we were seeing something out of the 90s Hackers movie where there are these loud nightclubs with a bunch of cool people working on computers.

Are they going to Hack the Gibson next?

Exatcly.

Also, the "fixer" guy looked like a character pulled straight from Fargo. I do like Fargo, but he seemed out of place imo

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

To be fair, capture the flag tournaments are very much a real thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByE9a2uZ1sM

It's just one of those "everything looks better on tv" situations

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
wait, those people were cool??

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

My favorite part was all the people vaping

I'm expecting all the feelings of "Hollywood" to pay off, it might be like that for a reason. The common theme in this series is that nothing is like what it seems, and Elliot is an unreliable narrator.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Fried Watermelon posted:

My favorite part was all the people vaping

I'm expecting all the feelings of "Hollywood" to pay off, it might be like that for a reason. The common theme in this series is that nothing is like what it seems, and Elliot is an unreliable narrator.

Chuckin tits and hackin bits!

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I just assumed that if society started collapsing a bunch of rich white tech nerds in Manhattan would use that as an excuse to literally cosplay as cyberpunk Gibson hackers and burn through tons of generator gas playing a throbbing techno soundtrack while people outside can't get potable water.

Haven't rewatched the scene but outside of the two Dark Army soldiers that whole room was super duper white dudes, wasn't it? Like to a level not really seen on this show outside of ECorp.

Death Vomit Wizard
May 8, 2006
Bottom Feeder
One of my favorite things about season 2 was when Elliot tried lucid dreaming and it led to him silently observing Mr. Robot. In the premiere Elliot doesn't seem too worried about Mr. Robot and just assumes that the bullet killed him Fight Club style... Is anyone buying that? I think he's going to lucid dream again, catch Angela helping Mr. Robot, and have a meltdown that will put the season 1 smack hallucination to shame.

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

Haven't rewatched the scene but outside of the two Dark Army soldiers that whole room was super duper white dudes, wasn't it? Like to a level not really seen on this show outside of ECorp.

I think that was sort of the point.

When they first opened the door, I was like wait a second, this is Mr Robot, are they really doing the loud techno/dubstep underground hacker community?? (I was waiting for Razor and Blade to show up...I mean, those guys are 1337...)
Then I thought about it a little. I give Esmail a little more credit than that. They haven't really subscribed to any of the generic/media "hacker cliches" thus far, so I think they did this on purpose.

It was a short scene, and their CTF challenge was a total joke to Elliot, but a big deal to others that were there. As evidenced by the fact that when the neckbeard tried to downtalk him, Elliot put him in his place, and also when the other guy patted him on the back he pulled the "don't touch me, get of my face" attitude. (ie: this is an afterthought of a competition even though you all think it's important. We're on some bigger poo poo here behind the scenes and this was a necessary evil to get me access).

I think that scene was basically a vehicle to remind us that Elliot (and his crew) are really above that, a reminder that "real" hackers can be regular people, and don't fit into all those cliches. *(aside of Elliot's hoodie...)

Also, right after that scene when they leave, they are dealing with shady people shutting down FBI trucks, etc, which again shows the whole "we're bigger than your little contest" you're all just playing "hacker" while the stakes are real for us.

(Or maybe I just misread the whole thing, I don't know, it's just the feeling I got from it!)

metavisual fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 13, 2017

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

metavisual posted:

I think that was sort of the point.

When they first opened the door, I was like wait a second, this is Mr Robot, are they really doing the loud techno/dubstep underground hacker community?? (I was waiting for Razor and Blade to show up...I mean, those guys are 1337...)
Then I thought about it a little. I give Esmail a little more credit than that. They haven't really subscribed to any of the generic/media "hacker cliches" thus far, so I think they did this on purpose.

It was a short scene, and their CTF challenge was a total joke to Elliot, but a big deal to others that were there. As evidenced by the fact that when the neckbeard tried to downtalk him, Elliot put him in his place, and also when the other guy patted him on the back he pulled the "don't touch me, get of my face" attitude. (ie: this is an afterthought of a competition even though you all think it's important. We're on some bigger poo poo here behind the scenes and this was a necessary evil to get me access).

I think that scene was basically a vehicle to remind us that Elliot (and his crew) are really above that, a reminder that "real" hackers can be regular people, and don't fit into all those cliches. *(aside of Elliot's hoodie...)

Also, right after that scene when they leave, they are dealing with shady people shutting down FBI trucks, etc, which again shows the whole "we're bigger than your little contest" you're all just playing "hacker" while the stakes are real for us.

(Or maybe I just misread the whole thing, I don't know, it's just the feeling I got from it!)

i think the point was that hackers are like that. s1 and s2 had angela throwing those dumb parties too. i think you're bang on though about the contrast - there's a disconnect for hackers between what they're doing on a computer screen vs what's happening outside. like you point out, while they're partying in their dubstep dimly lit underground venue people outside are robbing each other, lighting things on fire, and beating each other. the realization that their hacking has repercussions is finally realized by Angela towards the end of s2 and by Elliot as he comes to terms with Mr. Robot's continued existence.

I imagine this season is going to focus much more on Mr. Robot as his own distinct character and Whiterose. Looking forward to that.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I am going to be so angry when inevitably Mr. Robot turns out to be alive in the alternate universe and perceived by Elliot for ~reasons~.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lichtenstein posted:

I am going to be so angry when inevitably Mr. Robot turns out to be alive in the alternate universe and perceived by Elliot for ~reasons~.

I mean unless there's a misdirection, that really seems to be where this is going. It would explain why it's so hard for Elliot to get rid of him; he's not just a psychotic alternate personality, he is literally hacking Elliot's brain in order to do things in this Universe.

I have a feeling this season is gonna be super divisive.

Interesting point earlier about the "Hollywood-ness" of the 1984 Club. On the one hand, that's exactly what self-styled "hackers" in NYC would do - and that explains why Elliot solved the problem so easily, because all the vaping and dubstep and cosplaying was a tip-off that these weren't "real hackers", just the privileged white people (there were plenty of women, but everyone was mostly white) who had a space/generators/computers and thought they were hot poo poo.

Like, I've known hackers all my life, and they absolutely are capable of having bad taste, but that scene was essentially straight out of MONDO 2000. The name of the place being 1984 - a direct reference to the past - is probably significant. The show was essentially showing us an exaggerated version of an older time. It's notable that this is also the scene where Elliot is literally able to mute people for the audience too, so it's not unreasonable to think that the scene actually looked/sounded different from what we were shown. To Elliot, everything that isn't calm is a dubstep nightmare; the "reality" of that scene may have well been far more subdued.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
My 16 year old son's theory:

Elliot is the first (or maybe 2nd after White Rose) self aware AI, Christian Slater is his creator and their world is a simulation.

When Slater appears it's either the AI programming going haywire or Slater is literally ssh'ing into Elliot.

Elliot being a literal robot or human with an AI chip doesn't work because he presumably would have had brain scans and tests done, what with his mental illness and all, and someone would have noticed.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
So, Elliot's dad seemed really nice in the flashbacks with his son (up until the window pushing thing). So how did Mr. Robot come out so mean and conniving?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

pahuyuth posted:

Elliot is the first (or maybe 2nd after White Rose) self aware AI, Christian Slater is his creator and their world is a simulation.

When Slater appears it's either the AI programming going haywire or Slater is literally ssh'ing into Elliot.

Elliot being a literal robot or human with an AI chip doesn't work because he presumably would have had brain scans and tests done, what with his mental illness and all, and someone would have noticed.

I like that idea. Interesting. And some of the perceptual shifts other people have are glitches? (Like people switching to EvilCorp from ECorp)

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

pahuyuth posted:

That really is the best theory. Fits thematically and would be really satisfying I think. Good call!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

What would be the point of Christian Slater meddling and trying to blow up Evil Corp?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Elliot's world (and hacking) is corresponding to Slater's world, him taking down EvilCorp will do something electronic in the real world. (Like take down Walmart.)

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Josh Lyman posted:

What would be the point of Christian Slater meddling and trying to blow up Evil Corp?

I'm paraphrasing here but my son said something about Slater trying to release the AI from its E-Corp shackles and that stage 2 is blowing up the part of the simulation that keeps the AI locked up. He said that Elliot is so good at hacking because Elliot is a program himself but is not able to alter the simulation a la Neo in The Matrix.

His theory started going off the rails at that point but I do like his idea of Elliot and White Rose being self aware AI.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

nickmeister posted:

So, Elliot's dad seemed really nice in the flashbacks with his son (up until the window pushing thing). So how did Mr. Robot come out so mean and conniving?

He's older Elliot from the future that came to save his universe by having past alternate Elliot hack the LHC.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

T-man posted:

Elliot's world (and hacking) is corresponding to Slater's world, him taking down EvilCorp will do something electronic in the real world. (Like take down Walmart.)

Like enders game?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Ender's Game and Fight Club are the same book, when you really think about it, man

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

precision posted:

I mean unless there's a misdirection, that really seems to be where this is going. It would explain why it's so hard for Elliot to get rid of him; he's not just a psychotic alternate personality, he is literally hacking Elliot's brain in order to do things in this Universe.

I have a feeling this season is gonna be super divisive.

I think it's much more likely to go the opposite direction. It's going to seem to get into alternative universe stuff but any wacky sci-fi poo poo is actually just going to end up coming from Elliott's condition distorting his own reality.

precision posted:

The name of the place being 1984 - a direct reference to the past - is probably significant.

It's a George Orwell/Big Brother reference.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Rarity posted:

I think it's much more likely to go the opposite direction. It's going to seem to get into alternative universe stuff but any wacky sci-fi poo poo is actually just going to end up coming from Elliott's condition distorting his own reality.

DEAR GOD THIS.

I guess it's a testament to Mr Robot that a lot of its fans love it so much they start believing the main characters insane delusions might just be right all along.

I mean I love him but he's basically Neil Breen.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

cosmically_cosmic posted:

DEAR GOD THIS.

I guess it's a testament to Mr Robot that a lot of its fans love it so much they start believing the main characters insane delusions might just be right all along.

I mean I love him but he's basically Neil Breen.

I won't accept this until we can compare ballsacks.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

I think the particle collider is a gimmick to convince gullible people to risk everything on your agenda and immunise them against any possible subterfuge.

How many people in high power have deep regrets? What wouldn’t they do to someone who proved to their satisfaction that they are about to be able to reverse them? What price wouldn’t they pay, considering they think they never would have paid it? What could another party offer them that would be more powerful, especially when whatever they offered could be wiped out?

All you need is a great story, a massive prop, a good old fashioned mystery cult structure and the best magic trick billions of dollars can buy.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Decided to start re-watching the show because it's dense as gently caress. I'll post anything I find interesting on re-watch as it pertains to the current s3 plot.

So far S1E1 had:

Mr Robot: "Money hasn't been real since we got off the gold standard. It's become virtual; the operating system of our world. We are on the verge of taking down this virtual reality."

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

This is starting to feel like Fringe to me - and while that show was fun at first, it also got bad quick. I'll watch the next episode but I'm not about the third.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Time travel no, but hopping parralel universe so that it basically is like you time travelled, at least from your perspective, yea.

This has been an area explored in much philosophical depth by Prof Slavoj Harmon

Shoren posted:

That doesn't preclude the possibility of alternate dimensions as was pontificated by that scientist. Mr. Robot being a manifestation of another Elliott would be an interesting twist. I don't think those huge machines we saw at the beginning were implemented just to control social media. I think there's more afoot than that, however, I think time travel might be a step too far at this point.

Yea, and they even say something about all the consciousness being linked, and what if they become unstable. Unstable consciousness, schizophrenia, is just your consciousnesses across universe not being in sync

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
so nerds itt are complaining about the show yet they miss the '1984' symbolism completely? good job goons

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

cochise posted:

Now I'm wanting Mr. Robot to go full Sliders.

I loved Sliders so much as a kid

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Has anyone else signed up at e-coin.com? I signed up a month or so ago after getting an email from the official mr robot mailing list, and didn’t really understand what it was about until Wednesday, when they sent me an email about an e-coin power bank. I clicked through to see how much it was, and it turns out they were giving them away for anyone who claimed one. Pretty cool that they’re giving stuff away for free like that.

Death Vomit Wizard
May 8, 2006
Bottom Feeder

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'll watch the next episode but I'm not about the third.

Wait, are you parodying the poster from season 1 who was complaining about the writing and listing how many future episodes he'd watch or are you serious?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Weaponized Cum posted:

so nerds itt are complaining about the show yet they miss the '1984' symbolism completely? good job goons

A thing can have two meanings. Of course it was a reference to the book. It was also a visual metaphor for descending into the past.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I told myself I wouldn't come back to this thread for Season 3 but gently caress it, I have opinions and I want to post them somewhere.

The basic battle of “Elliot vs His Other Half” with Elliot not realizing he’s even going Mr. Robot and Mr. Robot not remembering anything that Elliot does is ... not interesting to me at all. Season 2 almost saved itself when it seemed like Mr. Robot won Elliot over to his side and I was ready for some feel good Season 1 co-working action only to be disappointed by Elliot refusing to agree to Mr. Robot’s terms.

Combine this with the still-a-mystery tease of White Rose chilling at what looks like a large hadron collider and Angela thinking the past can be changed (we all know White Rose probably killed that fish just to bring it back to life to show Angela what she’s capable of) and you’re really losing my interest. Start answering questions, push forward some action, make some real strides in the plot, or you lose what audience you have left.

Also, I feel like the show is trying to debase itself to lure in a more casual audience. The conversation around “you just won the whole tournament in 2 minutes” was just all awkward and cringe-inducing. Not the “don’t touch me or talk to me” part, that’s classic Elliot. I just think this portrayal of "he’s the best hacker” and his discussion with the guy about how he could do it the hack... it all seemed way dumber than what Mr. Robot is usually known for. There’s no subtlety or substance to the interactions that went on in the 1984 club. What could have been a way sleeker scene just fell flat for me.

It’s hard to describe but one more thing that bothered me was the editing is not even close to as on point as it used to be. It’s hard to describe (was actually easy to point out all the faults with this during Season 2) but I’ll point out four specific scenes in this episode that could have been much better if the editor, cinematographer, and director were actually checking in with each other.

1: The long-take scene in the 1984 club had really obvious stitch points. Too obvious. I understand the need for them but they could have been way less obvious which, in turn, made them eye-roll-worthy. A good long-take forces you to re-watch to find the stitch points. You could spot these from a mile away.

2: When the camera was directly over Irving’s car it seemed like a prime spot to do a very stylish and cool transitional scene... except they cut away from the top-cam while the convertible converts, show Irving write on his hand, and then cut back to the top-cam for the drive-away. It basically took what would be a nice looking scene and decapitated it uselessly. If you’re going to make the camera do something cool, do not interrupt it.

3: When Elliot goes on his rant it goes from inner monologue to outer monologue... and then back to inner. Consistency of the take is ruined while there’s no good reason given for this back and forth.

4: There was at least one ADR that was pure awful. You could see the person saying something completely different from what the dub was. I’m so sick of poor ADR in movies and TV nowadays. It’s like all the audio engineers went on strike a few years back and nobody bothered to report it.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Oh gently caress, now this really is the lovely opinions thread.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Holy poo poo.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

DaveKap posted:

I told myself I wouldn't come back to this thread for Season 3 but gently caress it, I have opinions and I want to post them somewhere.

The basic battle of “Elliot vs His Other Half” with Elliot not realizing he’s even going Mr. Robot and Mr. Robot not remembering anything that Elliot does is ... not interesting to me at all. Season 2 almost saved itself when it seemed like Mr. Robot won Elliot over to his side and I was ready for some feel good Season 1 co-working action only to be disappointed by Elliot refusing to agree to Mr. Robot’s terms.

Combine this with the still-a-mystery tease of White Rose chilling at what looks like a large hadron collider and Angela thinking the past can be changed (we all know White Rose probably killed that fish just to bring it back to life to show Angela what she’s capable of) and you’re really losing my interest. Start answering questions, push forward some action, make some real strides in the plot, or you lose what audience you have left.

Also, I feel like the show is trying to debase itself to lure in a more casual audience. The conversation around “you just won the whole tournament in 2 minutes” was just all awkward and cringe-inducing. Not the “don’t touch me or talk to me” part, that’s classic Elliot. I just think this portrayal of "he’s the best hacker” and his discussion with the guy about how he could do it the hack... it all seemed way dumber than what Mr. Robot is usually known for. There’s no subtlety or substance to the interactions that went on in the 1984 club. What could have been a way sleeker scene just fell flat for me.

It’s hard to describe but one more thing that bothered me was the editing is not even close to as on point as it used to be. It’s hard to describe (was actually easy to point out all the faults with this during Season 2) but I’ll point out four specific scenes in this episode that could have been much better if the editor, cinematographer, and director were actually checking in with each other.

1: The long-take scene in the 1984 club had really obvious stitch points. Too obvious. I understand the need for them but they could have been way less obvious which, in turn, made them eye-roll-worthy. A good long-take forces you to re-watch to find the stitch points. You could spot these from a mile away.

2: When the camera was directly over Irving’s car it seemed like a prime spot to do a very stylish and cool transitional scene... except they cut away from the top-cam while the convertible converts, show Irving write on his hand, and then cut back to the top-cam for the drive-away. It basically took what would be a nice looking scene and decapitated it uselessly. If you’re going to make the camera do something cool, do not interrupt it.

3: When Elliot goes on his rant it goes from inner monologue to outer monologue... and then back to inner. Consistency of the take is ruined while there’s no good reason given for this back and forth.

4: There was at least one ADR that was pure awful. You could see the person saying something completely different from what the dub was. I’m so sick of poor ADR in movies and TV nowadays. It’s like all the audio engineers went on strike a few years back and nobody bothered to report it.

These are all really really bad opinions. This episode has things that you can critique, but these four are really bad ones.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Dave can you try a little harder to keep your promise please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I can't wait to hear another rehash that Angela must be a brainwashed sleeper agent otherwise it's bad writing that makes no sense, ignoring that she's become colder ever since joining Ecorp to begin with, to say nothing of how Whiterose's little trial by fire and subsequent recruitment of her would gently caress up anyone's head.

• Locked thread