Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

LentThem posted:

"is there an evacuation plan for the building before we blow it up? well sure, yeah, of course there is!"

looking forward to angela's reaction to that not happening

Actually it might have, not because The Dark Army did it but Elliot's bomb threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Fried Watermelon posted:

It's the company that controls the country's currency though

Okay but the breaking happened for less than 10 minutes. I'm sure it's about to be a big story, they just had no idea what what the severity was.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Metropolis posted:

Actually it might have, not because The Dark Army did it but Elliot's bomb threat.

Wasn't that for the office building so that he could get back in?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Harminoff posted:

Wasn't that for the office building so that he could get back in?

No. He said that his priority was the people who were going to die if he didn't stop the plan.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Snak posted:

No. He said that his priority was the people who were going to die if he didn't stop the plan.

Oh yeah that's right.

Also,

CloFan posted:

That is a tasty looking burger https://www.red-wheelbarrow.com/

*Limit one hole punch per restaurant visit. Free milkshake cannot be redeemed during same visit as 10th punch.

lol.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

precision posted:

That episode was loving amazing.

As for "how did Elliott" know what floor Angela was on - wasn't he explicitly trying to reach that floor already, before she was? I thought he said he was trying to get to "the server on the 23rd floor".

I loved the part where the old woman turned out to be super-l33t.

Whiteout sniffing super-l337.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Binging With Babish needs to do a Red Wheelbarrow episode.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That menu just makes me so mad that there is nowhere to get good BBQ in California, at least not in Ocean Beach. :mad:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
It's kinda of annoying that stage 2 still did it happened and now our protagonist is actively working against it

We all now it will happen at the end, just because it has to (what eles could happen? everyone gets arrested and the show ends?), no matter what Elliot does. And it's been going since S2, just get on with it

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

HorseRenoir posted:

Yeah that's definitely him. I'm guessing that he pulled something to gently caress up Stage 2; we're only halfway through the season and I don't see them blowing up the building this early.

The big question to me is why Dark Army specifically wanted Elliot to do the hack and not Angela. They didn't sound happy when Angela told them she did it herself, like their plan went unexpectedly-off course.

The “Elliott” Irving kept talking about was Angela, just using a badge that says Elliott. The idea probably being that they have a paper trail of logins from Elliott to those rooms, and the possibility of making him a stooge when Stage 2 goes through.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Samizdata posted:

Whiteout sniffing super-l337.

It was a Monday, ok? :colbert:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Is there any kind of cadence to those swag giveaways? Like “once a week on show night” or is it literally just random.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Feenix posted:

Is there any kind of cadence to those swag giveaways? Like “once a week on show night” or is it literally just random.

Pretty random, but seems to be once a week. Definitely not always on a show night.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 11, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Boywhiz88 posted:

The “Elliott” Irving kept talking about was Angela, just using a badge that says Elliott. The idea probably being that they have a paper trail of logins from Elliott to those rooms, and the possibility of making him a stooge when Stage 2 goes through.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure "Elliot's Contingency" was really just Irving's plan to get Angela to do the plan.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
One little thing that annoyed me was the security guard automatically being suspicious of the envelope. What, people don't carry envelopes in offices? Lol. Obviously after her reaction he has reason to suspect Something, but not before.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
That's honestly a peeve that's afflicted the show from the very first season. Sometimes "our heroes" will act super bloody weird and it'll be of no consequence whatsoever, but then other times the exact wrong people will laser-focus in on the exact thing that would cause the most problem for the protagonists for no reason other than the fact that we need to cause those problems.

It lends to an air of paranoia and tension for this show, but it's not always very natural.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

nickmeister posted:

One little thing that annoyed me was the security guard automatically being suspicious of the envelope. What, people don't carry envelopes in offices? Lol. Obviously after her reaction he has reason to suspect Something, but not before.

Yeah I thought that one thing was really out of place.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
She was carrying that super important open envelope like an rear end in a top hat, though. Who carries a stuffed-with-items envelope sideways and open.

What an idiot.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Wasn't he only suspicious once he saw she had someone's keycard with greater access than hers?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

counterfeitsaint posted:

Wasn't he only suspicious once he saw she had someone's keycard with greater access than hers?

He was suspicious at first, then calmed down and was making small talk with her, then yeah he sees the keycard. I didn't think it was egregious at all, since the building was literally under siege at the time. It'd be more odd if he wasn't suspicious of her acting so blasé during it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
He just asked ehat was in the envelope. The suspicious part was her riding around the elevator during a riot. It's not strange to think "why is someone transporting an envelope through a riot rather than running and hiding."

Without even being suspicious of her, he probably wanted to know if it containing something sensitive that she was trying to protect from the looters. Beyond that, it does look like she's probably taking advantage of the situation to commit corporate espionage.

But yeah, then he only becomes actually suspicious when she's carrying a badge that doesn't belong to her with a higher clearance than she has. And gets caught lying about why.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Snak posted:

But yeah, then he only becomes actually suspicious when she's carrying a badge that doesn't belong to her with a higher clearance than she has. And gets caught lying about why.
Seriously people, this was clearly the necessitating factor. Goons: still bad at watching TV. :negative:

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
gently caress yeah I finally got something from e-coin!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Harminoff posted:

It's true. When you get the email, it;'s too late!

Red Wheelbarrow bbq sauce. :(

Dude. I checked this morning at 7am PST. Nothing. Dammit. Then I get an email now and something has come and gone.

BOTS. BOTS, I TELL YA!

BBQ SAUCE-HAVING BOTS!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Harminoff posted:

NOOOOOOO just checked my email, received it 2 min ago and already too late :(

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I'ma have the best burgers now! Hoodie would have been cool to get at least I wouldn't contemplate wearing that. To open the sauce or not?

I wonder who's sauce it's rebranding?

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 13, 2017

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Hmm. Strange that a woman who works in an office might be carrying an envelope when there's a riot. I mean, the normal thing to do would be to literally drop everything assume fetal position in a corner somewhere...

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I think the best way is to download a Twitter app and set it to do push notifications.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Did I miss any chatter about the German at the start of the episode? The subtitles I got managed to catch him saying "The beginning is just the beginning" or something weird like that but couldn't catch the latter of what he said.
What the gently caress was up with that guy? What was he saying or trying to say? Any speculation at all here?

dhn
May 28, 2004
Dog dick of anubis

DaveKap posted:

Did I miss any chatter about the German at the start of the episode? The subtitles I got managed to catch him saying "The beginning is just the beginning" or something weird like that but couldn't catch the latter of what he said.
What the gently caress was up with that guy? What was he saying or trying to say? Any speculation at all here?

1) Aller Anfang ist schwer.
2) Anfangen ist einfach, Beharrlichkeit eine Kunst.

Two German proverbs, they mean:

1) All beginnings are difficult.
2) To begin is easy, to persist an art.

Side note: the actor was not a native German speaker but still good enough pronunciation. Non-German actors trying to wrangle German words are a pet peeve.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

dhn posted:

1) All beginnings are difficult.
2) To begin is easy, to persist an art.
All beginnings are difficult... but to begin is easy? A little contradictory there...

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
Everything related to Angela and the badge was loving stupid. It was meant for Elliot so it has his/a dude's face and name on it. A blonde girl with this badge was a huge red flag and the only valid excuse for clumsily dropping it in front of the security guard is if she didn't realize it was in the package that she was holding (at a stupid angle). But she used it to trigger the elevator, didn't she?

Which is why her thought process was loving weird afterwards. "Oops dropping it was a fuckup, I should hook this clearly-not-me badge to the front of my pants face-outwards so I won't drop it again." *runs into another girl in the airgap room who instantly notices it's the wrong badge because it's literally being presented to her*

LentThem fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Nov 14, 2017

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Who the gently caress has time to bother checking badges and scrutinize anyone during a riot? That whole part was dumb. Why does a security guard give a poo poo about an employee with an envelope, again, during a riot? Angela can bold face lie to her best friend's face for weeks, but a security guard sees her drop a badge and she fumbles through the least believable lie?

"This badge belongs to my boss, it's sensitive material, and above your pay grade." Anything would have been better than pretending the dude stamped on the front is her.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
C'mon thread we're better than this. :negative:

dhn
May 28, 2004
Dog dick of anubis

DaveKap posted:

All beginnings are difficult... but to begin is easy? A little contradictory there...

I was irritated at first too. They are two different proverbs. You could make the distinction between the beginning as a noun and the act of beginning, but that still doesn’t make it flow. On the other hand, contradiction is a huge part of Mr. Robot’s central character. So perhaps it is just about continuing the theme.

precision posted:

Seriously.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

precision posted:

As soon as the ridiculous theory crafting started in season 2, we weren't. As soon as people brought in predictions from Reddit, we weren't. Because: goons. I don't know what you expect to happen.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

precision posted:

Hey I stopped pointing out every major flaw I caught. At least you got that.
(The only speculation post I ever made was a big fat ironic one making fun of speculation posts because I really hate Lost and anything trying to be like it.)

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
You guys are embarrassingly bad at watching TV. She drops a badge on the floor, movement catches security guard's eye and he sees it is not her badge. Why wouldn't he think that was weird?

Is badgechat better or worse than Elliott is Darlene chat?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

As soon as the ridiculous theory crafting started in season 2, we weren't. As soon as people brought in predictions from Reddit, we weren't. Because: goons. I don't know what you expect to happen.

Ridiculous theory crafting started before season two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Sure, but none of us knew where the show was going yet. But the time travel, Elliot is Angela/Darlene/whomever and poo poo didn't ramp up until more recently.

• Locked thread