Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

empty baggie posted:

I had that same idea. Like later on in the series, another person shows up that ends up being a vision of his dad in his head, but because he's forgotten what he looks like, the audience is presented a completely different person to reflect what's in eliots head.

Haha, I honestly hope they do this. If they could pull it off, it'd be some next level :psyduck:-ery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

Steve112sms
Mar 20, 2002

Paregoric babies of the world unite.

LabyaMynora posted:

Elliot is Tyrell, but doesn't work for E-Corp. Tyrell is just Elliiot's imagination of what kind of person works at E-Corp - a murderous psychopath. All the Tyrell scenes without Elliot are just what Elliot imagines Tyrell's life is like and to give the Tyrell personality motivation.

Tyrell is real, you weirdos. You honestly think that Tyrell, his wife, his baby, his boss, the new CTO, the CTO's strangled wife, and the police investigating the murder are all in Elliot's head? And Elliot's boss who met Tyrell at his EvilCorp office is also in his head? And the rest of FSociety is in his head too? Because they all reacted to the news that Elliot knew Tyrell. So, in your mind almost every character in the show is in Elliot's head?

Mr. Robot being in Elliot's head was teased from the beginning of the show and all of those interactions happened, just with Elliot acting as Mr. Robot. Also, it served as character development, showing how damaged and delusional Elliot is, while also giving insight into his pain and guilt over his dad's death. In contrast, Tyrell being fake hasn't really been teased at all, would mean that a ton of time was spent on scenes that didn't happen at all, and wouldn't really add anything to character development. So, no.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Look, when TVIV latches onto a ridiculous theory like some kind of desperate lamprey, you just gotta ride that wave until it washes out.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

BrianWilly posted:

Look, when TVIV latches onto a ridiculous theory like some kind of desperate lamprey, you just gotta ride that wave until it washes out.

See also: The Rick and Morty thread.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Seriously, the way Tyrell just magically shows up as soon as Darlene goes to the pharmacist, followed by the way they talk to each other at the fun house, it doesn't make sense unless they're the same person. It's also the only way Mr. Robot and Tyrell meeting in the car outside makes sense.

I'm pretty sure Terry Colby never directly interacted with Tyrell. He was always just a part of the entourage. The new CTO is just part of Elliot's elaborate delusion, as is the strangled wife. Tyrell's Lady MacBeth wife and baby is just there to give the Tyrell personality motivation to go along with Elliot's hack with the intention of swooping in to save E Corp and regain his glory.

Elliot's about to pull off the greatest hack in history just to turn around and save E Corp - how is F-Society going to react to that? How are the Chinese hackers going to react to that?

Either that, or Tyrell is real and Elliot is his delusion. :D

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back

LabyaMynora posted:

Seriously, the way Tyrell just magically shows up as soon as Darlene goes to the pharmacist, followed by the way they talk to each other at the fun house, it doesn't make sense unless they're the same person. It's also the only way Mr. Robot and Tyrell meeting in the car outside makes sense.

I'm pretty sure Terry Colby never directly interacted with Tyrell. He was always just a part of the entourage. The new CTO is just part of Elliot's elaborate delusion, as is the strangled wife. Tyrell's Lady MacBeth wife and baby is just there to give the Tyrell personality motivation to go along with Elliot's hack with the intention of swooping in to save E Corp and regain his glory.

Elliot's about to pull off the greatest hack in history just to turn around and save E Corp - how is F-Society going to react to that? How are the Chinese hackers going to react to that?

Either that, or Tyrell is real and Elliot is his delusion. :D

I'm hoping you are right for no other reason than to be able to say "told ya so" to all those in this thread that profess to know all.

Steve112sms
Mar 20, 2002

Paregoric babies of the world unite.

LabyaMynora posted:

He doesn't magically show up. He specifically says he waited until Darlene left. Also, he knows where Elliot lives because his goons dropped him off in the limo. Their interactions make plenty of sense. This is the order of events:

Tyrell meets Elliot at work and is interested in him. Later, at the meeting involving the hack, he sees Elliot switch folders, which he finds suspicious and this folder leads to Colby's arrest. Based on this suspicion, he looks into Elliot and finds out about his dad and the EvilCorp connection and figures out that Elliot probably framed Colby. Later he runs into Elliot at Steel Mountain and tells him this, while also saying he has no proof, because he doesn't. He also doesn't care because it benefits him. Later, he has the conversation with Elliot's boss about the honeypot and realizes there's more going on. He looks up the servers and sees something in the code. I'm a little foggy on what exactly he saw, but he realized there was more to Elliot's plan than simple revenge. Based on this, he confronts Elliot in the car and as a last bit of desperation, threatens to reveal that Elliot framed Colby. Elliot, as Mr. Robot laughs him off and so Tyrell goes home to his wife properly freaked out. Then, after getting fired, he now doesn't care about EvilCorp and either wants revenge or thinks he can use this to his advantage. He then more or less threatens Elliot to get him to reveal the whole plan, because he only has a very limited idea of it. Elliot reveals the plan at the arcade. That's it.

And I didn't mean his boss Terry Colby. I meant the higher up boss who fires him.

Darwin Phasetrot
Apr 20, 2015

You're all just skeletons
trying to fool me.

Overdrift posted:

If anyone is interested, here is the Pixies cover from last night's episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NZdggNUvq0

My heart skipped a bit when the first chord rang out. I loving love this rendition so much I nearly backflipped out of my chair when it was used. Really fitting, too.
Looking forward to the finally - this show is just good as hell.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Overdrift posted:

If anyone is interested, here is the Pixies cover from last night's episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NZdggNUvq0

Aaaannnd I just spent the last hour listening to "Where is my mind?" covers.

Waynebo
May 18, 2004

Look at that subtle off-white coloring.
The tasteful thickness of it.
Oh my god. It even has a watermark.
we're actually all figments of christian slater's imagination. how else do you explain a show with christian slater that hasn't gotten canceled???

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

Waynebo posted:

we're actually all figments of christian slater's imagination. how else do you explain a show with christian slater that hasn't gotten canceled???

Archer has Slater as a recurring character, and has not yet been canceled.

Unless...Slater in Archer is actually Rami Malek??

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

The thing about Tyrell that's so loving weird is that we start off thinking he's this personally highly motivated Patrick Bateman, but at this point he might as well be just any other hacker dude except for the fact that he's being controlled by his wife.

Like, in the beginning of the series you think when they talk about a plan you think she's being the supportive wife reminding him he can do this and what his goals are.

Now? These are her goals for him.

And also Tyrell putting gloves on scared the poo poo out of me. Is that why Elliott was so eager to tell him mostly the truth?

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

Archer has Slater as a recurring character, and has not yet been canceled.

Archer has been moved off FX to the equivalent of ESPN 'The Ocho.' It likely is in its last season. I blame Slater, he's like Ted McGinley.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Doctor Butts posted:

And also Tyrell putting gloves on scared the poo poo out of me. Is that why Elliott was so eager to tell him mostly the truth?

I think that in the psychological state Elliot was in, he was in a sort of "gently caress everything" mindset. Here you go, weird-rear end murderer - this is everything. What are you going to do to me that I haven't already done to myself?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I think Elliot originally took Tyrell to the arcade just to save himself from being strangled or beaten to death, but that meaningful look he gave the popcorn machine heralds the emergence of Mr. Robot to take care of business. We won't find out about it until the end of the episode next week-- Tyrell will just be gone and Elliot won't remember what happened to him until he gets a flashback of shooting him and hiding the body.

I think Elliot fully giving into Mr. Robot and committing at least one murder in the name of revolution would be a pretty great place to end the season. Sort of the anti-Durden ending-- instead of killing his alternate self, Elliot embraces him as a necessary evil.

Curtis of Nigeria
Jan 9, 2009
Tyrell is the product of Elliot's domineering mother. That's why his imaginary wife is so cold and controlling. Elliot can only base his delusions off past experiences.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...
I can't see a way that Tyrell is not real, if we're going to talk about this can someone please help me understand :-)

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

SpaceAceJase posted:

Those Nintendos wouldn't be yellowed in 1994.

Immersion ruined.

And what's with the picture of Mr. Robot with the PS2 controller in the foreground? There's gotta be some kind of significance to that, right?! :tinfoil:

(Probably not, but I want to believe)

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
That episode was amazing. All hell is breaking loose at Allsafe and we see this when Gideon is looking through his Sent emails.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

dhrusis posted:

I can't see a way that Tyrell is not real, if we're going to talk about this can someone please help me understand :-)

It only works if literally every Wellick interaction is hallucinated by Elliott. This is a theory that should be put out to pasture, I think.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
hey guys I think Bill isn't real because Elliot talked to Bill.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Elliott isn't real, and neither are any of the characters he interacts with or his effects on the world. Discarding the unreliable narrator, this show is really about the daily goings-on of a large corporation and the small one they contract to handle security.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

hey guys I think Bill isn't real because Elliot talked to Bill.

Poor Bill :smith:

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Butts posted:

The thing about Tyrell that's so loving weird is that we start off thinking he's this personally highly motivated Patrick Bateman, but at this point he might as well be just any other hacker dude except for the fact that he's being controlled by his wife.

I find it interesting that they are using a trope that is normally reserved for politician characters. At first we are led to believe that he is a powerful character but then we come to find out he is a trophy husband who has achieved what he has because he knows if he doesn't he will lose whatever semblance of a normal life he thinks he has. You see this quite a bit when he cautions taking a step back and rethinking the situation but she continues to push him forward with threats. I think the thing to take away from their story is that Tyrell isn't so much a sociopath as he is a submissive partner to his wife. His interaction with the current CFO and him being completely blown out of the water verbally during their confrontation in his office shows his true nature, that of a disobeying dog not knowing what to do without the guidance of his master's hand. When he is at home, it's her rules. His career is guided by her hand and we see him break away from this by paying homeless people to let him beat them up. It's his way of having some form of control over a part of his life.

They really stepped out of the box with that trope because when it's normally used the husband normally butts heads with the wife over control of the relationship and where both of their lives are going, in this case Tyrell is more than willing to give up control and follow his wife's plans.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

Some threads never recover:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

smg77 posted:

Some threads never recover:

Uh, what?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Xoidanor posted:

Uh, what?

A kid in True Detective had some issues.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 24, 2015

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Xoidanor posted:

Uh, what?

True Detective season one derail that destroyed the thread.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Xoidanor posted:

Uh, what?

That was a scene that caused a lot of stupid discussion in True Detective season 1. There were claims that since one of the main character's daughters did that she was being abused as part of a secret pedophile ring.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

Binary Logic posted:

That episode was amazing. All hell is breaking loose at Allsafe and we see this when Gideon is looking through his Sent emails.

Can you buy more paper towels.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

violetdragon posted:

Can you buy more paper towels.

This drives me crazy with work emails. If you're asking a question then use a question mark!

Anyway, finally caught up today after getting derailed around episode 5 and this show has been amazing. I was still on the fence regarding Ghost Dad's physical existence after the Romero and Tyrell-in-SUV conversations, but the reveal was still so good. I don't watch much TV and gave up on Breaking Bad after the first season because it didn't really grip me, but this show has its hooks in me no doubt. Rami Malek is absolutely killing it and I love every second of his delusions.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Yeah, I'd never even heard of Rami Malek before watching this show but I'm a huge fan of his now and would probably watch anything he does in the future just based on how good he's been in this. Dude has more of a range in bug-eyes alone than a lot of other tv actors' whole repertoire

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Rami Malek stole every scene in the Pacific

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Where exactly is the Pixies cover in episode 8? I rewatched the last scenes and it wasn't there.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Lampsacus posted:

Where exactly is the Pixies cover in episode 8? I rewatched the last scenes and it wasn't there.
It's all instrumental in the very last scene.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Sober posted:

It's all instrumental in the very last scene.
Yeah I just hear glitchy ambient music? But from previous posts it seems there is a Pixies cover there. What am I missing?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Lampsacus posted:

Um.... episode 9. And it's a piano.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Waynebo posted:

the first season hasn't finished yet so theres still time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

DaveKap posted:

Um.... episode 9. And it's a piano.
I've been watching this show one episode behind. Truely the mindscrew Mr. Robot experience.

• Locked thread