Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I've had Danse Macabre in my head since watching this episode. It's this version according to a show music website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

sticklefifer posted:

I've had Danse Macabre in my head since watching this episode. It's this version according to a show music website.

I picked it up when it started. I played the xylophone part my freshman year of highschool 18 years ago and I still remember how to play it.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Does anyone have a link to the intro where Elliot puts the mask on for the first time? Couldn't find it on Youtube.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Does anyone have a link to the intro where Elliot puts the mask on for the first time? Couldn't find it on Youtube.

I don't have a link but it is the first scene of episode 4 of this season.

The Sean posted:

One thing that really bothers me so far is that in any of Elliot's flashbacks to his childhood we never see his sister Darlene. Maybe I'm wrong but I only have seen his dad and his mom--including what seems to be family photos early in the first season. I don't want to make the call so far, but Elliot seems to interact with his sister in the first few episodes in situations separate from his hacking crew and I haven't seen his crew speak to her directly. About mid-way through episode 2 Darlene says some snappy poo poo about their operation and the bearded white guy responds "Boss, blah blah blah" assumedly at Elliot. At this point Darlene shouldn't be his boss, right? I'm not going to say she's fake right now but I'm questioning everything and Darlene keeps showing up out of nowhere. We obviously see Darlene chilling with Angela later in the season, I'll admit.

Mr. Powers posted:

I'm just quoting this because I just watched the episode and I'm reading through the thread and this paragraph made me laugh. I wonder if, when I finish reading the thread, The Sean will have completely recanted this statement or if he still hasn't watched the episode.

Ha, I did get to watch the new episode late last night. Before I did, I actually starting wondering about another different dumb take on this during my work/school day. I'm kind of wondering if Darlene's actually real and Elliot is a coping mechanism/dissociative identity for her or she's some transgender version of Elliot. In the Mr. Robot origin scene Darlene shows up at Elliot's place and is all "I really need you right now" and is super-stressed but we don't know why. That's when he discloses being locked up for a few days (and going a bit crazy as a result).

For the poster quoting me about laughing at the post I don't really care and I'm just bullshitting around. I kind of forgot about the TV IV forum until recently so I had fun reading people's theories about where Elliot is this season after they had the big reveal (and I liked that one poster was legit thinking Elliot was in jail when guessing that did not seem very likely). But after wondering about the theory I just posted I thought it was cool to see an episode with only Darlene.

So, again, I'm probably wrong but I'm going to fart out some supporting points. Darlene never appears in Elliot's childhood flashbacks or anything. In the first episode Elliot seems to not want to go to Angela's birthday party because of some possible relationship they had in the past--possibly it was a lesbian relationship. See also Elliot's dealer, Shayla, in the first season sleeping with Elliot at one point and then later is making out with Angela. It might also explain why Shayla's dealer (the guy that gets sent to jail) did not seem to think Elliot was a threat in the romantic sense and was fine just chilling out in his tighty-whities. This could possibly be why Gideon in S1E2 tells Elliot "you know I'm (homosexual], right?" (there's a filter on the forums that edits the word g ay) and talks about how his partner feels he is embarrassed about his sexual orientation and should talk about it more; a safe "first try" could be another gay person. Also on this gender/sexuality note, White Rose would support this theme of the show as she is a man while working for the Chinese gov't but expresses herself as a woman while in the White Rose persona. Lastly on that topic, Tyrell is shown to be banging a dude at one point in S1 and gets angry and fires some employees when they're talking about people having gay relations in order to climb the corporate ladder.

In last night's episode Darlene reads out the opening lines of the show that we originally hear from Elliot; to put it another way maybe Elliot is some hacker persona for her to get her revenge on society after getting locked in a server room. If Elliot is Darlene's coping mechanism (or something like that) it kinda makes sense that she gives Elliot a gun in season 1 "in case he needs it" or whatever--that is, maybe Darlene couldn't take it upon herself to shoot someone but would be more confident shooting someone as Elliot or Mr. Robot.

I can't think of anymore supporting evidence right now. Again, I'm probably wrong but this show is a poo poo ton of lies. There's plenty of stuff to poke holes in this line of thinking, surely, but I still find it fun to think about.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 26, 2016

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I was not shocked or surprised in any way that Darlene killed that lady. And I think that's a credit to the writing/direction.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

LmaoTheKid posted:

It was an empty needle. They jammed it under his fingernail and broke it off to hurt him. It made me physically ill to see it.

Quoting for posterity when you're proven wrong. No way the dark army would keep a blank needle in a fancy case like that.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

The Sean posted:

Ha, I did get to watch the new episode late last night. Before I did, I actually starting wondering about another different dumb take on this during my work/school day. I'm kind of wondering if Darlene's actually real and Elliot is a coping mechanism/dissociative identity for her or she's some transgender version of Elliot. In the Mr. Robot origin scene Darlene shows up at Elliot's place and is all "I really need you right now" and is super-stressed but we don't know why. That's when he discloses being locked up for a few days (and going a bit crazy as a result).

For the poster quoting me about laughing at the post I don't really care and I'm just bullshitting around. I kind of forgot about the TV IV forum until recently so I had fun reading people's theories about where Elliot is this season after they had the big reveal (and I liked that one poster was legit thinking Elliot was in jail when guessing that did not seem very likely). But after wondering about the theory I just posted I thought it was cool to see an episode with only Darlene.

So, again, I'm probably wrong but I'm going to fart out some supporting points. Darlene never appears in Elliot's childhood flashbacks or anything. In the first episode Elliot seems to not want to go to Angela's birthday party because of some possible relationship they had in the past--possibly it was a lesbian relationship. See also Elliot's dealer, Shayla, in the first season sleeping with Elliot at one point and then later is making out with Angela. It might also explain why Shayla's dealer (the guy that gets sent to jail) did not seem to think Elliot was a threat in the romantic sense and was fine just chilling out in his tighty-whities. This could possibly be why Gideon in S1E2 tells Elliot "you know I'm (homosexual], right?" (there's a filter on the forums that edits the word g ay) and talks about how his partner feels he is embarrassed about his sexual orientation and should talk about it more; a safe "first try" could be another gay person. Also on this gender/sexuality note, White Rose would support this theme of the show as she is a man while working for the Chinese gov't but expresses herself as a woman while in the White Rose persona. Lastly on that topic, Tyrell is shown to be banging a dude at one point in S1 and gets angry and fires some employees when they're talking about people having gay relations in order to climb the corporate ladder.

In last night's episode Darlene reads out the opening lines of the show that we originally hear from Elliot; to put it another way maybe Elliot is some hacker persona for her to get her revenge on society after getting locked in a server room. If Elliot is Darlene's coping mechanism (or something like that) it kinda makes sense that she gives Elliot a gun in season 1 "in case he needs it" or whatever--that is, maybe Darlene couldn't take it upon herself to shoot someone but would be more confident shooting someone as Elliot or Mr. Robot.

I can't think of anymore supporting evidence right now. Again, I'm probably wrong but this show is a poo poo ton of lies. There's plenty of stuff to poke holes in this line of thinking, surely, but I still find it fun to think about.

The best part about this post was the explanation about Gideon telling Elliot "you know I'm gay, right?"

and you had to go edit it out.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Dr. Josef Mengele posted:

Quoting for posterity when you're proven wrong. No way the dark army would keep a blank needle in a fancy case like that.

It was 100% to torture him with a needle that gets stuck under his fingernail and then make it extremely difficult to extract by breaking it off.

To Vex a Stranger
Mar 15, 2004
Rawr!

Idia posted:

She doesn't respond back but you should have gotten a tip from her. Check her messages again. Also ask Darlene for more info.
Answer below:
it's the hr phone number. Message them and say that you're her husband and you need access to your 401k. You should message Darlene for more info about Mrs.Berry's husband. He works as a real estate agent. You'll need to give HR that info and they give you the file.

Interesting, that's not how I got her password. Sure, I contacted HR but I didn't go with 401k.

I also feel like an rear end in a top hat doing some of the things that I've done. ruined marriages, told a 12 year old about prostitution, etc.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Dude's fat. Maybe he's diabetic?

Or it's for recreational drugs?

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
how are people missing this so hard

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

To Vex a Stranger posted:

Interesting, that's not how I got her password. Sure, I contacted HR but I didn't go with 401k.

I also feel like an rear end in a top hat doing some of the things that I've done. ruined marriages, told a 12 year old about prostitution, etc.

at least you didn't threaten to kill his kids like I did (though it worked!)

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Death Vomit Wizard posted:

How is it that the casing led to the beard guy's gun that was apparently registered to him, yet he owned the gun illegally? Like, he purchased it in another state and then illegally brought it into NY?

Probably. NYC has strict handgun laws

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

WampaLord posted:

Yea, he's just an old pervert. With all the Roger Ailes poo poo that just came out, it's a good time to remember that rich fucks feel entitled to literally anything, including people.

I'm not sure whether perversion has anything to do with it. My read on Price has always been that he's incredibly lonely, like many of the other characters.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

The Sean posted:

I wasn't laughing "ha ha this is dumb" I was laughing "I just watched an episode that solely features Darlene interacting with people without Elliott around. That makes this theory very funny because a lot of effort was put into it and it will be debunked when he watches this episode. Hah!"

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
No, you see Darlene is the female version of Elliot doesn't have to be around. They are just talking to girl Elliot. A few pages back we were talking about who the girl in prison burning stuff was and now we know it was actually Elliot the whole time, just trans-gendered female Elliot in jail.

Elliot -> Elli -> El -> Le -> Darle -> Darlene.

It's so obvious now.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

The Sean posted:

I actually really like this despite its flaws. Mobley and Trenton expressed "We thought we were going to meet Elliot" at the first meeting, coupled with her launching into his first episode voiceover. If you stick with the Fight Club logic of "sometimes I'm him, sometimes I'm watching him" it does have some legs to it, though I do think the one thing that knocks it down is Elliot and Darlene accomplishing different things in different places at the same time. If the whole prison experience wasn't real or happened in a completely different time frame (or was real but a fantasy genderswap I guess?), it feels like cheating in a way that this kind of reveal doesn't. Interesting idea though, and if it did end up being true I'd imagine there'd be explanations for that kind of thing.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
What is it with this show and people coming up with the stupidest theories. I read someone elsewhere saying they thought Elliot was actually in prison for all of season one too :psyduck:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I think the show is setting up Darlene to take the fall for 5/9. The Instagram, the messed up tape in this episode, that dude she was sleeping with's gun, she's going down.

Max posted:

It was 100% to torture him with a needle that gets stuck under his fingernail and then make it extremely difficult to extract by breaking it off.

It's definitely for that, but I don't see why that means it must be empty as well though. I guess it doesn't matter now that Darlene hit a home run.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011
I feel bad for Cisco. First he stands up for his fsociety buds and gets a needle under the nail, then when he keeps watch over Darlene for the DA he gets Mickey Mantle'd. Guy just can't catch a break.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Darlene is weird. She doesn't show up in any of Elliot's childhood flashbacks and she is never really acknowledged by Mr. Robot.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

doomisland posted:

Probably. NYC has strict handgun laws

Yeah. I'm pretty sure handguns are illegal in NYC unless you pay a ton of money and jump through a bunch of hoops for a special permit, and those usually go to celebrities and other upper crust people who can "prove" a need to protect themselves.

I may be wrong, but that's what I've heard anyway.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

I welcome being proven wrong and the callback this week was kind of odd but...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denailing

quote:

Another cruel variant involved using rough skewers of wood or bone dipped in boiling sulfur. A number of such skewers were slowly driven into the flesh under the prisoner's toenails. Alternately, the skewer was dipped in boiling oil, which served a dual purpose of both burning the incredibly sensitive flesh and lubricating the needle so that the torturer could freely explore a wide surface area beneath the toenail. When enough skewers had been driven home to pry each nail loose from its bed, the nail was torn out at the root with a pair of pliers. It is also recorded that, in more recent times—particularly, during the Armenian genocide of the 1910s—phonograph needles were driven under fingernails to torture the prisoner before his nails were torn out with pliers.[2]
:barf:

e:2

http://www.clearwisdom.net/html/articles/2011/4/6/124252.html

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

waitwhatno posted:

Darlene is weird. She doesn't show up in any of Elliot's childhood flashbacks and she is never really acknowledged by Mr. Robot.

Almost like they were hiding the twist that she was his sister.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
:suspense:

This episode, holy drat.

..that's my hot take, I guess.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Update to my silly hypothesis...
I kind of wonder if the whole dissociative personality stuff is like a Russian nesting doll. Like Darlene's real, but Elliot's her alt personality but Mr. Robot's Elliot's alt personality that she doesn't know about. Darlene tries to live a normal life through Elliot but Mr. Robot subverts that poo poo to make sure E Corp/the upper class gets hosed over.

For instance, the scene at Gideon's dinner party in Episode 3
Angela: "I loved running away with you. Somehow when you're 8 running away can be fun."
Elliot (Narrating): "The normal life. Smiles. Dinner parties. Childhood stories. I could get used to this; maybe even like it."
Elliot immediately gets a text that takes him off track. He heads to a TV, turns it on, and there is at that very moment a news report about the class action suit against E Corp. He and Angela are visibly upset at this.
Elliot (Narrating): "My perfect maze... crumbling before my eyes. There's nothing to hide behind. I don't think it existed--but there it was... is. Mr. Robot finally found my bug."
The scene switches to Elliot and his mom at a bus stop, shortly after his dad dies. His mom basically states say "why cry over your dad dying?" and Elliot doesn't understand. A bus obscures the shot and then we see Elliot as an adult at the same bus stop
Elliot (Narrating): "The bug forces the software to adapt... evolving into something new because of it. Work around it or work through it--no matter what it changes. Becomes something new. The next version. The inevitable upgrade."

In other words, possibly each new nested dissociative personality is a "new version" of the original character's personality and Mr Robot's aim is finding bugs to make sure that Elliot constantly tries to take down E Corp and doesn't ever get distracted.

Later in the episode, when Elliot's having his morphine withdrawal trip Mr Robot makes an announcement including:
Mr Robot with the Mask on: "Citizens of the world we are here to help. If you have any interest in waking from your slumber and retrieving lost, damaged, or stolen memory: we are here for you, we have your back."
He passes a key to Elliot while they both look at the screen (and break the 4th wall
Elliot: "What's [the key] open?"
Mr Robot: "It belongs to you now." passes a Mask to Elliot "Made in the orient. Made it just for your head. Now, find your monster and turn the key."

The scene that comes after the above scene:
Elliot is walking through his childhood neighborhood and where his home should be is a sign that says, "Error 404 Not Found" Immediately a tomboy-ish girl rides up on a bike.
Elliot: "Hello. Hello, Friend."
Girl: "But we're not friends."
Elliot: "Can you tell me what happened in that house?"
Girl: "First, can you tell me what's your monster?" Then she giggles. "I think you dropped this." The girl hands Elliot a key she found on the ground and then rides off on her bike.

A scene that follows after:
Elliot and Angela are dressed in formal wear and are supposed to be getting married. They're talking in the fsociety arcade.
Angela "Those people in there [I don't know where the "where" is that she's talking about], I just told them what they wanted to hear. You're not going to do it, are you? Change the world. Figures: you were only born a month ago. You're afraid; afraid of your monster. Do you even know what it is?"
Angela hands the key to Elliot that Mr Robot just recently handed to Elliot.
Angela: "It doesn't fit."
Elliot: "Why not?"
Angela in a Mr Robot voice disguising filter: "Isn't it obvious? You are not Elliot. You're---" and the audio/video cuts out.

Also, an interview this week with Darlene's actress here: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/mr-robot-star-carly-chaikin-922572
Interviewer: Elliot's incarceration must have greatly informed your work as Darlene throughout the season. Is this the biggest stressor in Darlene's already very stressful life?
Darlene's Actress: I don't even think it's necessarily about Elliot being physically gone, as much as it's about him not being with her in this anymore. Emotionally, Elliot being like, "We can't do this, we need to stop."

Maybe even Angela's the real personality and a whole bunch of characters are nested dolls. Quoting someone from when season 1 ended:

NowonSA posted:

After finally getting around to seeing the scene with Elliot and Tyrell's wife, I'm 100% on board with Tyrell just being another personality of Elliot's. At this point I just want them to go all-in and make Elliot live a truly incredulous number of alternate lives, each played by a different actor.

Mr. Powers posted:

I wasn't laughing "ha ha this is dumb" I was laughing "I just watched an episode that solely features Darlene interacting with people without Elliott around. That makes this theory very funny because a lot of effort was put into it and it will be debunked when he watches this episode. Hah!"

Cool. I appreciate the reply. I considered that you didn't mean it to be a dick so I tried to be polite in my response. I also recognize that what I'm talking about may really be off point.

To toss you a solid: maybe all the characters are imagined by Qwerty the Beta Fish...

The Sean fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Aug 27, 2016

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

The Sean posted:

Nesting dolls.....

I dunno thread, this honestly sounds plausible. It's just with the HUGE amount of unreliable narrative in this show, really any halfway crazy theory could work.

BTW that fact really sucks for internet discussion.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I don't think I've seen much discussion on this but are we thinking Tyrell is actually dead or no? Mr. Robot claims to have killed him, but we didn't get any kind of flashback, just words. I'm not sure the point of Mr. Robot swerving Elliott on this, but without seeing a body I don't trust any TV show.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Turns out that Tyrell found a way to upload himself to the cloud, Lawnmower Man-style, and all will be revealed in the season finale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z4VO0wbbG0

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Borrowed Ladder posted:

I don't think I've seen much discussion on this but are we thinking Tyrell is actually dead or no? Mr. Robot claims to have killed him, but we didn't get any kind of flashback, just words. I'm not sure the point of Mr. Robot swerving Elliott on this, but without seeing a body I don't trust any TV show.

Tyrell is dead and is being shipped to white roses house to frame her for 5/9

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

counterfeitsaint posted:

I think the show is setting up Darlene to take the fall for 5/9. The Instagram, the messed up tape in this episode, that dude she was sleeping with's gun, she's going down.

She used the dead lawyer's E-coin too to pay off the shelter guy too. I felt like that was a set-up for a later pay off.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
The thing I like about Mr Robot's twists is that things make more sense after the reveal than before.

- Darlene being Elliot's sister answers so many questions about why she has such a casual sense of familiarity around him.
- Mr Robot being Elliot's alternate personality explains why the leader of this glorious revolution just fades into the background and does nothing whenever Elliot turns up.
- Elliot being in prison answers so many questions about the weirdness of his new disconnected life.

Elliot being Darlene's alternate personality wastes the sister reveal, it kinda makes the show sound ridiculous when combined with the Mr Robot reveal ("Oh who's the next character who's gonna turn out to be a figment of Elliot's imagination? Tyrell Wellick? Is the whole cast just different Elliot personalities arguing with each other?"), it would create far more questions than it answers ("So wait, Elliot was leading fsociety operations... whilst also stuck in prison with no way to contact the outside world?") and just in general I would find it distinctly unsatisfying. Also with White Rose we already have a character acting as their own sister.

As for Wellick, I'm thinking that he's still alive. Most of what we've been shown is meant to lead us to assume Wellick is dead, but we've seen nothing conclusive so I think the show is trying to mislead us to set up a reveal.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm impressed not only by the fact Sam Esmail did an episode without Elliott and it was awesome but also by the fact Sam Esmail had the balls to do an episode without Elliott. I feel since dropping the hammer on 'is Christian Slater real?' the show's only got stronger cause S2 has been firing on all cylinders.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

i got punk'd by a malware attack from downloading the latest episode of mr. robot.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Chadzok posted:

i got punk'd by a malware attack from downloading the latest episode of mr. robot.

Same

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

at least I'm not alone in my shame.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Or maybe I am alone and you're just a nested russian doll split personality twin sister inside my head?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm a bit confused about how much of The Sean's posts are "look how this show is made in such a way that even insanely outlandish theories seem mildly plausible tee hee" and how much is actually viewing it as a serious theory. L

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Death Vomit Wizard posted:

How is it that the casing led to the beard guy's gun that was apparently registered to him, yet he owned the gun illegally? Like, he purchased it in another state and then illegally brought it into NY?

Accretionist posted:

I think so. They said something about a microstamp on the casing? I didn't quite catch that part.

That scene was a little confusing, but the short version is this: New York state requires a license/registration to possess a handgun. Outside of NYC, it's not that difficult to get. The implication is that he bought the gun elsewhere in the state and then transported it into the city illegally (simply put, you must be a resident of a state to purchase a firearm there, legally. Yes it's a little more complex, but that's the short version).

Microstamping, on the other hand, is a little more interesting - it's a patented technology to forensically match shell casings to firearms. It's required for new handguns sold in California and nowhere else, however in practice it doesn't exist. Gun manufacturers don't include it (for reasons beyond the scope of this discussion) in any firearm manufactured today. For the purpose of this show, it's a deus ex machina - the purpose was to point out that gun was specifically linked to that guy, and that he had the gun in NYC illegally. Unless they link it to the larger surveillance operation somehow (Bearenstein or whatever), which is a whole different can of worms, that seems to be a fairly open and shut situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarlog
Dec 7, 2005

Zarlog, Protector of Baal
E Corp = Elliott Corp

• Locked thread