Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
My problem with these theories is why the show would introduce time travel/alternate dimensions 4 years into its run? My assumption all along has been that Esmail is playing the audience with these ideas as he has with many other tropes throughout the series. The show's POV so far has been to depict Elliot as a mentally ill unreliable narrator, with all "real life" consequences stemming from that fact. Tyrell and Angela are now shown to be highly unstable as well. I'm on the fence on whether Whiterose is just as delusional wrt time travel or if it's just another page in her playbook to sow influence and control. I lean to the former, and that her quest will result in a bad accident with the accelerator that fucks up the world even more, but WILL NOT actually involve alternate realities or time travel or anything.

In short, if Mr. Robot becomes just another time fuckery show, I will be severely disappointed.

Laterite fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Goofballs posted:

This whiterose discussion is interesting. I always figured that the goal was the standard power thing because she's such a shithead but this better world/super tech is throwing me a little because its way beyond what she needs to be king. In my head I'm kind of expecting some kind of fanatic belief in a timecube that's just utterly lame and only the kind of thing a crazy aristocrat would believe in. If that happened though it would just be the ultimate wet fart reveal. Very 2017 but I don't know if I could suggest that anyone ever watch the show and have that be what it leads to. And on the other if it turns out to be real and she's some kind of ends justify the means techno wizard that would also be retarded.

This is my worry about where the show is ultimately headed as well. Whiterose is a fascinating character but the direction her story is taking is either utterly banal or balls-out wacky.

EDIT: Heh ... "balls-out"

Laterite fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 18, 2017

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

DaveKap posted:

Check out the movie Birdman starring Michael Keaton.

Better yet, don't. Literally, watch anything other than Birdman.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

huge pile of hamburger posted:

Because it loving sucks

Yeah, it's not the technical aspects that I hated, it was the story, characters, and setting. gently caress Birdman.

DaveKap posted:

I mean if we're gonna talk about stuff that has oners, check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q4X2vDRfRk
And if you want those subtle oners like those shown in this video, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel on Amazon seems to have a few. I always catch myself in the middle of one going "... oh poo poo, this is a long-take!"

This is also the required "everyone needs to watch The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" post for this thread. (It's just all-around really fantastically well done.)

This I can get down with. I noticed a lot of well-thought-out camerawork in Mrs Maisel, and the show overall is cool and good.

Laterite fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Dec 19, 2017

• Locked thread