Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
Anyone else catch not one but two Dark Souls references in the season?

Not that it matters either way, but why is it assumed that Whiterose is a transgender woman? There's only two scenes with the character, how are we supposed to know which is their real self?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

CloFan posted:

What were the references? I didn't catch them

There's a Dark Seoul game in the arcade, and Mr. Robot says something to the effect of "evil Corp and their dark souls" during one of the last fsociety videos.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

Darlene being his sister is so rewarding on rewatch, because the first time you relate to Elliot and think she's loco, but the second time she acts exactly how a sister would. it's really well done.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

Geez guys why don't you cut this guys friend who isn't even in the thread some slack. Not knowing Mr. Robot isn't real doesn't make her a dumb idiot. Not everyone watches TV the same way.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I loved so many scenes in this show but one of my favorites was opening the episode after the prison break with Elliot meeting Shayla. Knowing what was coming as a result of that meeting made made so :smith: and :unsmith: at the same time. Amazing TV.

This was my favorite scene too in a season of amazing scenes. For some reason this is the scene I think of whenever I think about this show. It was just so heartbreaking. Also, I love Pictures of You and it fit the scene perfectly.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

I just watched Comet on Netflix, which was written and directed by Sam Email. I wouldn't say it's similar to Mr. Robot, but you can tell they're related. There are similarly framed shots and familiar music swells. Its got a lovely rating on RT but I really enjoyed it.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

Two big wins last night at the globes, Christian Slater for supporting actor and winning for best TV drama. I know the globes aren't all that "important" but it's still great to see this show beat out heavy hitters like GoT.

I'm actually surprised this thread is so dead, I would have expected more rampant speculation to go on in the downtime between seasons.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

I think there's definitely some legs to the Elliot = Tyrell theory, there's tons of hints at it.

Tyrell is a hacker, and for some reason is immediately drawn to Elliot upon seeing him at Allsafe.
Right after Tyrell ties up his wife after coming home from the club, there is quick cut to Elliot at F Society. The cut is done in a way that it transitions from where Tyrell is standing to Elliot seamlessly, and also Elliot appears slightly confused as to how he got there.
Tyrell is in Elliot's fever dream sitting in his apartment, holding the key (to his childhood house?).
Tyrell has a conversation with Mr. Robot without Elliot, claiming to know Mr. Robot's secret.
The scene where Tyrell's wife seems to know Elliot.

Now there's a lot of evidence to suggest they're not the same person, but there's definitely something strange about their relationship. If they're not the same person, I think they're probably connected somehow from incidents prior to the first episode.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

I haven't watched any of the new material or the episode yet but i definitely believe in Eliot = Tyrell. I posted about it in this thread a while back:

Borrowed Ladder posted:

I think there's definitely some legs to the Elliot = Tyrell theory, there's tons of hints at it.

Tyrell is a hacker, and for some reason is immediately drawn to Elliot upon seeing him at Allsafe.
Right after Tyrell ties up his wife after coming home from the club, there is quick cut to Elliot at F Society. The cut is done in a way that it transitions from where Tyrell is standing to Elliot seamlessly, and also Elliot appears slightly confused as to how he got there.
Tyrell is in Elliot's fever dream sitting in his apartment, holding the key (to his childhood house?).
Tyrell has a conversation with Mr. Robot without Elliot, claiming to know Mr. Robot's secret.
The scene where Tyrell's wife seems to know Elliot.

Now there's a lot of evidence to suggest they're not the same person, but there's definitely something strange about their relationship. If they're not the same person, I think they're probably connected somehow from incidents prior to the first episode.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

Goddamn that was so good. Didn't miss a beat from season 1. Love how cinematic and heavy every scene feels.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

The more I think about the institution theory the more it makes sense. In addition to the other things people pointed out, there's also a huge clue:

Why are the basketball players SO BAD at basketball?? Probably because they are mental patients.

There's also the big red phone Elliott answers at the end. And Leon is probably watching Seinfeld reruns on a communal tv.

I'd like to think it's all just a metaphor for him institutionalizing himself, but i dunno.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

This is kind of amazing but i love the normal title cards

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

Really wanted to know more about the prison stuff but this episode was great.

If I did have a gripe, I felt Angela singing tears for fears karaoke was a bit too. . .I dunno, up its own rear end? Too clever by half (to quote Community). This is my favorite show on tv right now so I'm not hating on it at all, but this song, plus the Phil Collins song from earlier this season, and the risky business train song last season, it's like, alright, you love the eighties!

Also it felt similar to Kevin singing karaoke in the Leftovers finale. These are the tiniest of complaints though.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

I don't think I've seen much discussion on this but are we thinking Tyrell is actually dead or no? Mr. Robot claims to have killed him, but we didn't get any kind of flashback, just words. I'm not sure the point of Mr. Robot swerving Elliott on this, but without seeing a body I don't trust any TV show.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

DaveKap posted:

Just so we're clear here, they are the same girl.

It's actually a great, subtle hint. Elliott says "hello friend" and she replies, "we're not friends."

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

Why are they calling it a 2 hour finale when they're airing the episodes a week apart? Wikipedia says both are named eps2.9 but what's the point?

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

I think Tyrell has less of an accent and talks even more like Patrick Bateman now

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

Aw nuts it was a ghost in the shell ad

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

Fffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

To Vex a Stranger posted:

Yet when he was shot by Mr. Robot he never had the same look of "wtf" on his face, nor did Mr. Robot Back to the Future out of existence. Doubt it's a trick.

Not that I totally agree with Tyrell shooting Elliott being fake, but Elliott does mention that when we see Mr. Robot shoot him in the head, it wasn't the first time, and that the first time he really lost it and had a panic attack of something. So the seed is there if they want to do it.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

Could someone break down the whole honeypot storyline/timeline for me? Some of the paths on this show are amazing but convoluted AF.

Like for instance, Cisco hacked Ollie to get into Allsafe, but he also made Ollie make Elliot bring the drives to the store so that he could meet Whiterose. Do we know if Mr. Robot is aware of Cisco during season 1? Did Elliott ever even meet Cisco?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

I just received the Red Wheelbarrow composition book. I forgot I preordered it the second I saw the ad early during season two. I hope it has as many secrets as it promises!

• Locked thread