Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Accretionist posted:

Some people watch the show in a 3" x 4.5" rectangle in the lower right hand corner of the monitor and faces can be tricky sometimes :colbert:

I have been so happy since I finally went dual monitor.

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Spergatory posted:

IMDB is exactly as trustworthy as Wikipedia.

Not so much. I have never had to argue with Wikipedia about accepting information which was supported by photographic proof.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

ashpanash posted:

F sucked, R was good, I was great, N was kind of iffy, and GE was pretty much garbage.

Look, if you're a bloody vowel fanperson, I bet you're a furry loving brony/pegasister.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Wow. Ummm, here's an out there thought, keeping in mind with the title and all.

Elliot is an AI experiment that's not going so well. A sentient cyberweapon.

With issues.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Sober posted:

It's not so much USA's fault as it is a transition period right now and they just hit a good show while doing so. USA's brand has existed for long enough that it's ingrained in the consciousness of most people who even casually browse TV that if you told them to watch Mr. Robot and said it was on USA they would laugh it off as a practical joke.

The show also hasn't hit critical mass yet to the point where people who only watch and only recommend shows in the zeitgeist to other people (Breaking Bad being a prime example of this) will shout from the rooftops to watch this show.

Well, FWIW, I have been talking it up to about anyone that will listen...

Also, according to Dustin Hoffman (50 year career) -

"I think, right now, television is the best that it's ever been and I think that it's the worst that film has ever been – in the 50 years that I've been doing it, it's the worst," he said in an interview with The Independent.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Sober posted:

Unless all your friends are as apt to start watching new shows and seeing where they go, I would assume they aren't that kind of early adopter. So they either wait for a recommendation or wait until it hits a critical mass and they jump onto the bandwagon.

People conflate a network's brand to the relative quality of their shows, because broadcast networks and cable networks have always cultivated their brand. This is a pretty sharp turn for USA that I wasn't quite sure how to process it, especially if you've had the image of USA Network as where you'd find shows like Suits, White Collar, Burn Notice, Monk, Psych.

Also while TV is good, they are also falling into the "adapt/reboot everything!" trap. But at least they don't all make them staring handsome white dudes at least on TV.

Well, I am lucky I have a decent rep for recommendations for shows and such. I have also been assiduously warning them not to just jump in, but have driven home how important it is they get caught up before watching any current-ish episodes.

Gordong Dongbay posted:

Recommending the show is hard because the premise doesn't sound like anything special and describing it in to much detail really takes away from the show if you haven't seen it yet. Telling people the show is about a shut in hacker who works as a tech by day and a vigilante hacker by night makes it sound like a really bad SyFy show.

I also push the concept of the unreliable narrator, and some of Elliott's issues, hard to make sure they understand how deep the rabbit hole goes...

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

No Luck Needed posted:

I saw alot of yellowed SNES, NES, apples, and PCs because people use to be chain smokers

Like Mr. Robot himself?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Pussy Cartel posted:

Elliot's an AI and Tyrell is his creator. It all makes sense now. :tinfoil:

I already said that a while back, you know.

SalTheBard posted:

Wow holy gently caress I did not realize that BD Wong was Whiterose. Man what a show.

You and me both. You and me both.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

It's probably just easier to nuke the whole machine, as things like the network interface will have a MAC ID etc. why strip it down when you can just throw the whole thing in the fire.

And yeah, when it comes to security online regardless of what precautions you take you have to presume that everything you do can be traced back to you. Because that encryption protocol you use is probably busted wide open and offers zero protection.

Especially when IPv6 finally reaches full use. No more NAT on a single IP...

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Mega Comrade posted:

If your computers run Windows, yeah maybe don't do that. Not just for the reasons you see in Mr Robot but also that many viruses auto copy to usbs plugged into the infected computer, so the owner may not even be aware they are spreading something malicious.

If I was writing the show I'd go for something like dog man hiring another hacker to hack Elliot. There's very few plausible ways he can catch Elliot within the law.

ultramiraculous posted:

This show is really a lesson in why you should just epoxy all your non-essential ports shut.

Or, you know, just disable Autorun?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Mega Comrade posted:

That will improve security sure. But it doesn't completely protect you. There have been viruses that infect your computer when an anti-virus scanned it once being plugged in. USB sticks that are actually seen as keyboard or mouse and run macros infecting the PC when plug and play kicks in. There was one a couple of years ago that exploited a vulnerability in explorer and when it scanned the contents to provide an icon it would infect through that. And the most common problem, people clicking on the things they find on the USBs, as we had in Mr Robot and with the example Big Bad Voodoo Lou gave you would need to double click a few files to find out the USBs owner.

If disabling autorun was all you needed to do then the US military would have just done that instead of banning all usb sticks and other removable media from Government computers.

Well, they also banned them because they make it easy to remove data. When I used to work IT, that is EXACTLY the reason we blocked USB ports via GPO.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

apatheticman posted:

They literally addressed the bathroom thermostat issue by saying something along the lines of "who has all their thermostats callback to the same server?"

Besides, they weren't trying to melt the tapes per se, they were trying to cause the binder between the substrate and the magnetic media to soften. Also, they were doing this on a fictional data center, so bringing in a real secure data center doesn't count. Yes, the fictional secure data center was based on the real one, but this is a fictional show after all.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

adrenaline_junket posted:

Thats the one. He shed a lot of weight by eating a daily diet of celery and tuna for 3 months. He was pretty gaunt. Which was a massive feat considering how bulky he'd been for batman.

And a few apples.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Stubs Ascott posted:

The "twist" is using a cliche to more deeply explore the psyche of the main character. Since we, the audience are a character in his mind as well he acknowledges that we knew the whole time, which of course we did. It's not rocket science, it expands on the character, his paranoia, and makes you as a character question how deep the delusion is going. Were the protestors in Times Square even real? It helps reset the trust we have given Elliot as a character and puts us at odds with him again. I don't think it falls flat as a character moment.

Or you could goon it all up.

Or you could just kidnap Sam Esmail and beat it out of him. He doesn't look tough.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Do you mean, like, as a concept? Like, things movies have: Scenes, characters, dialogue, twists...

What do you think is happening here? And in case that comes across wrong, I'm genuinely asking. Do you think that there's a group of people here working together to try to debate you for some reason?

A "twist" is just a plot development that undermines the audience's prior understanding. Believe it or not, they predate The Sixth Sense, and what counts as a twist to one person might not for someone else. Very few people expected Darlene would turn out to be Eliot's sister, but whether you count it as a twist is a matter of opinion. It was unexpected, but it didn't necessarily undermine our understanding of what had been going on thus far. Mr Robot turned out to be Eliot, but for most people that wasn't a twist because it seemed likely that that was where the story was going.

As far as twists go, look up "Occurance at Owl Creek Bridge". There's a lovely twist in it and it was published in 1890. (Too lazy after work to do more research).

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

That's why I always disagreed with the Dexter comparison. Dexter has an inner monologue. Elliot has an inner dialogue.

Elliot has an internal lecture series.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Benson Cunningham posted:

You really don't want to see realistic hacking on tv. It starts with a guy typing into the terminal, then ends with him googling a bunch of poo poo and reading reddit instead of getting anything done.

Multitasking, yo. Gotta keep up with the latest pedo posts while you run the Gibson's database against some rainbow tables, after using Visual Basic to set up a GUI for said task.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Skizzzer posted:

She was like a snake, from what I remember. Contrast that with the time of day they were shooting and the environment around them - incredibly unsettling, I agree. Great actress, great character.

The show is great at conveying loneliness even when the characters are surrounded by people.

Danish mostly. I did NOT connect her from Mr. Robot with her in Legends of Tomorrow!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Brock Samson posted:

No Scott, choking her only makes her stronger wetter!

FTFY. Seriously, though, I swear her toes were curling.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

DaveKap posted:

Did you miss the entire scene with him? Joanna got closer to the bartender who was at the party where Tyrell killed Scotty2Drunky's wife. Joanna was stringing him along this entire season just so she could eventually get him to give Tyrell an alibi to the murder of Scott's wife. "I love you." "Great, now let's go over that false story I just told you so you can prove my husband's innocence and put Scott away in jail for life."

I'm writing a post about poo poo you guys haven't mentioned yet, one sec...

Plus, you know, a girl has needs, and she has that boy pretty well in harness...

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Le Saboteur posted:

I hope theres an explanation for some of the poo poo on the whiteboard next season because it seems crazy that the FBI would be able to link Joanna to the parking lot guy without an informant or a wire tap or something.

Well, the FBI was investigating Tyrell, and that was his SUV with Elliot asleep in it in that lot for three days.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

SmokaDustbowl posted:

man that was a really great season. how long do I have to wait until the next one?

if you have netflix and it's still up everyone should watch terror in resonance now

I can't, seeing as I can't find it ON Netflix.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Well, I now know why Romero ended up dead.

He's in Netflix's Luke Cage.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Did anyone else get the eCoin email?

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 22, 2017

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

pahuyuth posted:

My 16 year old son's theory:

Elliot is the first (or maybe 2nd after White Rose) self aware AI, Christian Slater is his creator and their world is a simulation.

When Slater appears it's either the AI programming going haywire or Slater is literally ssh'ing into Elliot.

Elliot being a literal robot or human with an AI chip doesn't work because he presumably would have had brain scans and tests done, what with his mental illness and all, and someone would have noticed.

I like that idea. Interesting. And some of the perceptual shifts other people have are glitches? (Like people switching to EvilCorp from ECorp)

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Thank you, Sam, for pulling it back together and giving us the craftsmanship we came to love.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Harminoff posted:

Dang ecorp just gave out Amazon echo dots. I put in my info and was sold out by the time I hit confirm. (2 min after it went up)

No captcha so those went fast.

Same here too. I could have missed out on the Dots, but I always can use a battery bank...

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

precision posted:

I mean, yes, I knew that was a possibility too.

I can't even fathom the Elliot is Darlene theory at all

GAH! Thinking of Elliott in those Darlene cutoffs.

GRA! Need brain bleach now!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

hope and vaseline posted:

Mmmm. Thinking of Elliott in those Darlene cutoffs.

Welp, glad you have both hope and Vaseline then,

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

precision posted:

Joey Badass is Joanna's first baby

And Joey Badass is REALLY Mr. Robot?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

That isn't possible, and it it was it would be illegal.

Entirely so with a little database editing. Also, we're talking Reddit, not the Library of Congress here. A private website can pretty much do what it wants unless that act is completely illegal, like CP or :filez:...

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

tetrapyloctomy posted:

As soon as I saw the cocaine, my first instinct wa--
Oh, thank God it wasn't just me.

It wasn't just the two of you. Good thing he didn't spend time building up an immunity to it.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Snak posted:

Yeah, I think it's basically that Angela is really good at her job. She's an up-and-coming go-getter, and Price thinks that she also has the potential to be a real ruthless shark, which he admires.

Especially as she doesn't LOOK like a serious apex predator.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

JitteryComa posted:

AFAIK he was just using her to get her dad and the other families of the people who died like her mom and Elliot's dad to settle their suit against E-Corp. In addition she got them to drop a contingency that would call for federal inspections of the Washington Township Power Plant, which seems to be integral to Whiterose's plans. During all that I think he just took a genuine liking to her. Whiterose taunting him about Angela was just her going, "Eat poo poo old man. I got to your go-to personally, like it was nothing."

Yeah, that does sound like Whiterose. They like to make sure EVERYONE knows where the power lies.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Claim your free mr robot hoodie. Just got mine.

No, you got MINE.

They were sold out in the time it took for me to get the email and open the site. Just like every other limited number giveaway they offer. :sigh:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Need to have auto-fill contact information ready on your phone, friend.

Not phone. PC.

The Sean posted:

Or a side personality that wakes you up and uses your computer at night.

Also, gently caress that. I have enough sleep dep issues as it stands. Speaking of which, how long until Elliot becomes COMPLETELY psychotic then dies?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Harminoff posted:

Emails are delayed so good luck getting it if you are trying based off that.

And we loop back around to "gently caress that".

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

I hope you guys who got a hoodie don't fit into it :colbert:

Seconded. None of you. At all. And not even your pets fit in it.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

maskenfreiheit posted:

Is everything slightly out of focus?

I don't have access to an HDTV in this location not sure if it's the lovely tv.

I watched it in 720p and it looked fine to me (not counting video compression artifacting - Stupid cable).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

precision posted:

That episode was loving amazing.

As for "how did Elliott" know what floor Angela was on - wasn't he explicitly trying to reach that floor already, before she was? I thought he said he was trying to get to "the server on the 23rd floor".

I loved the part where the old woman turned out to be super-l33t.

Whiteout sniffing super-l337.

• Locked thread