Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I picked up the exact same vibe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daemon_(computing)

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

meristem posted:

Oh, I know what a daemon is. I'm just saying that the analogy that immediately occurs to me are unconscious cognitive processes - for example, control of breathing. That's exactly the type of thing that happens essentially in the background. But he's implying that other people are processes, not actors, in the system. Could be a reflection of his sperginess - I'm the only real human here; could be what's actually happening - after all, he's narrating this in the past tense - but I have the sensation that this was just a forced, misfired metaphor.

I'd agree that it was probably just forced.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

DaveKap posted:

If Sam Esmail actually sticks to his guns with the "I have a story that lasts 5-6 seasons" statement, it'll be fine.

It's always interesting to hear how far in advance showrunners plan content. Excluding shows like GoT, where up until now the major story events were already known, the most extreme contrast I can think of is Breaking Bad. IIRC, the showrunner stated at some point during S3 or S4 that while S3 was heavily planned out before they started shooting, S2 was the opposite with almost no planning week to week. Yes, they changed course during S3 when they realized one major plot point wasn't coming together the way they wanted - but as a good showrunner you have to be able to recognize it and move forward.

I'm hoping that Sam Esmail has several seasons worth of loose plot points to follow but he doesn't try to tighten it up too much, too early. Over the next few years we're bound to see new hacks, new technology, new methods of intrusion and it'd be cool if they used that to keep the show more relevant.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

violetdragon posted:

I hope you're making fun of the other goon that said something similar earlier in the thread and not actually this ridiculous.

Certain types of shows seem to go better when the writers have some kind of ending destination in mind and stick to it without adding a ton of filler just to create more seasons. The bits in the middle or the ways the characters get to said end can vary or change, but writers with no idea what the gently caress beyond a pilot and/or one season lead to shows like Under the Dome and Sleepy Hollow.

Having a general end goal is great, but planning out 5-6 seasons in advance is a challenge because what happens if the show's ratings tank in season 2, and they get an abridged 3rd season to wrap it up? I said something similar about TWD showrunner saying he had material for at least 10 seasons - there aren't a lot of shows that make 10 seasons, and while TWD is definitely a contender, having an exit is always better than pulling a Deadwood.

I think we're generally agreeing - having long term goals is a good thing, having season specific goals is a good thing as you progress through the lifespan of the show, the hard part is corralling the writers into not locking out plotlines while achieving those goals each season so you can actually get to the finale.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I have a feeling Elliot's drug use is going to come back into play sometime before the end of the season. IIRC he was using morphone/heroin but keeping himself (or thinking he was keeping himself) more stable with suboxone. We saw his increasingly erratic behavior pointed out by multiple people recently (Angela, Darlene, his boss) - it's not uncommon for addicts to completely lose control of their habit, and as a result, their grasp on how it's affecting their life. I've never been much into drugs but I've seen friends spiral out of control and it's not exactly predictable.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

DaveKap posted:

He also knows that Elliot has animosity towards him for being shoved out the window. This is probably what gave rise to Elliot not wanting people touching him. As a child, Elliot was OK with touching and even tried to hug his father after he had found out that Elliot snitched about the cancer. If Elliot is autistic, it was somehow an autism that hit him LATER in life. Does that exist?

Can you remind me which episode this was mentioned?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

empty baggie posted:

I think it was episode 3, right before Mr Robot shoved Eliot off the boardwalk.

Ahhhh, I completely forgot about that scene. Thanks!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Fantastic episode. Can't wait til next week.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

VDay posted:

I mentioned last week but one of the pictures Elliot looked at was his dad reading him a book about a brother and sister who run away together to a museum, and then this episode we find out that Elliot and Angela (not sister but eh, close enough) made their secret runaway place the museum that that model of the city was in. :3:

Kinda called Tyrell working with fsociety a while ago in this thread, but just like all the other reveals/twists I can't wait to see how they do it. The last shot being of the popcorn machine with a gun in it is certainly ominous.

One of the guesses in this thread (not mine) is that Angela is actually Elliot's half sister - both her mom and his dad died in the accident, they're extremely close, and even in this episode, Darlene said she was family.

As for Tyrell, I'm still trying to figure out his end game. Does he have a motive that has yet to be shown, is he trying to keep moving up the ladder at Evil Corp, or what? He's a sociopath, I'm pretty sure, but I don't see the logic. Unless it's just his wife that's driving it, in which case we don't know enough.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Wait is that a sign of mental illness?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Spergatory posted:

MR. ROBOT SEASON FINALE HYPE THREAD: Version 2.0, now with 100% less dumb bullshit!

For those interested, Rami Malek is supposed to be on Kimmel tonight.

Just heard they might be delaying the finale another week due to the continued shootings.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Grem posted:

Hello fellow chess nerds, stalemate isn't even possible in the situations they were in, unless it was repeated moves, which is just ridiculous to consider with so many pieces on the board.

Also they were both horrible but Mr. Robot used one of the worst openings I've ever seen, twice.

I understand only the basic fundamentals of chess and it looked pretty bad, even to me. So maybe that was intentional?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

DaveKap posted:

I don't know why nobody answered you when it was very much obvious in this episode and the telegraphing of Tyrell's death is so loud but here you go, from this episode:

It's the paparazzi loving with her to get stories. She's been in the papers constantly and they're just goading her out all the time, hoping she goes crazy.

I missed the paper entirely, that is such a perfect NYPost headline too.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Dr. Josef Mengele posted:

What did that guy get injected into his finger? :goatdrugs:?

LmaoTheKid posted:

Looked like they put the needle in under his nail and then broke it off :barf:

This. If you see him when he drops off the device with Angela and Darlene, that finger is bandaged. It's not 100% clear (although close enough) that whatever they changed is what crashed the hack - any guesses as to what the Dark Army is trying to do? I haven't seen anything plausible about their end game, the only things we know about them for sure is that they're Chinese, willing to play rough, and one of the most prominent members is extremely well connected politically/socially. It's all theory crafting, I know, just wondering what I've missed if anything.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I...don't even get the reference.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

If you like this show, take a look at this dude's Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/user/s4myk

First video is of the mag card duplication that was used in this episode, but there is a ton of neat stuff in there.

Edit: Thanks - Apparently SA automatically converts it to an embedded video....which doesn't work out too well for a user link. Doh.

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Aug 12, 2016

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Just a point of clarification: Elliot is absolutely in prison, not jail. The jumpsuits had DOC stenciled on the back, Department of Corrections. DOC doesn't run jails, those are operated by the city/county depending on where you are, and house both pretrial arrestees as well as people incarcerated for <1 year. People sentenced to more than 1 year typically go to prison.

GobiasIndustries posted:

I think it was definitely a non-hacking crime he turned himself in for, probably the dog or drugs. I feel like if he admitted to any sort of hacking, the FBI would be all over him for his connections to Evilcorp & Allsafe. I'm also guessing it was the police that were knocking at his door at the end of last season after he turned himself in or sent an anonymous tip.

This makes a ton of sense, and I'm betting we get a flashback or exposition to explain it within the next few episodes - both that his incarceration isn't hacking related, and that it was the police that knocked on his door.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Death Vomit Wizard posted:

How is it that the casing led to the beard guy's gun that was apparently registered to him, yet he owned the gun illegally? Like, he purchased it in another state and then illegally brought it into NY?

Accretionist posted:

I think so. They said something about a microstamp on the casing? I didn't quite catch that part.

That scene was a little confusing, but the short version is this: New York state requires a license/registration to possess a handgun. Outside of NYC, it's not that difficult to get. The implication is that he bought the gun elsewhere in the state and then transported it into the city illegally (simply put, you must be a resident of a state to purchase a firearm there, legally. Yes it's a little more complex, but that's the short version).

Microstamping, on the other hand, is a little more interesting - it's a patented technology to forensically match shell casings to firearms. It's required for new handguns sold in California and nowhere else, however in practice it doesn't exist. Gun manufacturers don't include it (for reasons beyond the scope of this discussion) in any firearm manufactured today. For the purpose of this show, it's a deus ex machina - the purpose was to point out that gun was specifically linked to that guy, and that he had the gun in NYC illegally. Unless they link it to the larger surveillance operation somehow (Bearenstein or whatever), which is a whole different can of worms, that seems to be a fairly open and shut situation.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Someone remind me, were there any romantic overtones between Elliot and Angela before, or history? I couldn't tell if she was simply confused by the kiss, if she had been hoping it would happen for a long time (my guess) or if there was some history that she didn't want to revisit and didn't know why Elliot would?

I don't even think she was necessarily hoping for affection from Elliot in particular, simply that he was familiar and safe, and she's been so tightly wound while inside ecorp that it was just an emotional release.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Stage 2 theory: Elliot/Mr Robot explicitly told the Dark Army that Darlene and/or Angela have to be kept out of harm's way. It's already been said that this is his plan, and both personalities recognize their importance to him. The mysterious figures on the train will be DA guys warning her away from going to the lawyer, and Darlene will be unharmed.

I also think Elliot/Mr Robot's end game has nothing to do with the Washington Township hack. It's a ruse, misdirection, and while Angela is stirring the pot on that (and the Chinese and Ecorp execs are focused on it), there will be a twist bringing up something else entirely. That will be the Darlene sister twist of the season. Maybe something to do with Ecoin, or with Terry Colby - we haven't seen him in awhile, why is he back now?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

There were 2 very important events this episode that were largely overshadowed by Angela's Wacky Dream:

ECorp effectively repatriated $2T by way of an interest free loan from China.
ECorp also took the first step towards privatizing the American economy, by supplanting the dollar with its own cryptocurrency.

Beyond that, by pegging the ECoin to the USD, if the ECoin gains legitimacy they could ostensibly repay the loan using ECoin. Since the value of ECoinruns only as far as ECorp lets it, and as long as the US government acknowledges it as a credible currency, there is nothing stopping ECorp from effectively ripping off the Chinese to the tune of $2T.

At the same time, while the ECoin is controlled by ECorp currently, there is nothing stopping anyone else from assuming control of the mining operations - the same one the CEO told the president were controlled by ECorp. If ECorp repays the loan via ECoin, and the Chinese assume control of ECoin mining operations, they could reasonably supplant the USD as the de facto currency in the world. Assuming Elliot's main goal is to destroy ECorp (which, though they are responsible for killing his father, is still far from clear), this would achieve several things - China becomes the dominant international currency, ECorp is turned into a mere shadow of itself, and the US government/system/whatever F Society wanted to bring down is significantly hobbled.

All of that aside...

Until we figure out the motives of Elliot and Whiterose, none of this will be clear or make sense. So far Elliot doesn't seem to be fully aware of the plan that's being credited to him. The one thing that the central characters (ECorp CEO, Elliot, Whiterose, and Wellick) all have in common is a fundamental understanding of power - ECorp CEO and Wellick both want power, Elliot seems to want to redistribute it, and Whiterose is an unknown.

Of course this is all theorycrafting, but I have a feeling the geopolitical angle is going to ramp up hard in the near future. The stage is set for it, but the focus was misdirected.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Snak posted:

I just finished last night's episode. I skipped about 197 posts in this thread (which I will go back and read tomorrow morning) because I wanted to say my poo poo.

At this point I am wondering if phase 2 is dependent on shifting the world economy to cryptocurrency. Like, phase one crashed the regular economy, that never ends in fixing any kind of class struggle. Everything that's happened, up until now, is pushing the world towards a place where ECoin and Bitcoin are the future of currency. There is an obvious advantage for Price, as his money is gaining value. But what if Elliot has a way to compromise ECoin? What is happening is that that wealth is moving from existing structures into Elliot's domain. The attack on Ray's site? Where "the bitcoin wallets kept emptying themselves" and he didn't know why? Maybe that was a test. That was Whiterose's interest in that whole chain of events. They got to test their cryptocurrency destabilization exploit on an economy that wouldn't be able to out their exploit and it got shut-down before anyone realized what happened to it. The FBI doesn't even know about the problems Ray was having, they just busted him for black-market poo poo. So maybe, everything, the 5/9 attacks, Whiterose and Price working together, Tyrell, maybe it's all part of Mr. Robot and Elliot's plan to get the whole world running on cryptocurrency, so they can use their powers to truly redistribute wealth and power.

This is roughly the same direction I was going 2 pages ago. Glad someone else is stepping away from replicants and time travel.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

What's the deal with Angela and fish? Last season during Elliot's drug haze, she was served a whole black fish at a restaurant. Now a Koi died in the same room as her. What does Sam Esmail have against Angela (or sushi)?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Price isn't trying to redistribute wealth - he's simply demonstrating that he has more power than the US President, and by handing currency control over, ECorp now has that much more power (and by proxy, so does he). That said, he is taking cash from China to redeploy as this new currency, which is technologically bound and likely poorly understood. Cryptocurrencies have been a running theme, it's only natural for there to be a weakness and, of course, for Elliot to find and exploit it.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Dr. Josef Mengele posted:

Why did dark army give Ecorp 2 trillion dollars then immediately destroy Ecorp? That money isn't coming back.

We're deep into theory here in terms of fiscal policy - but by giving Ecorp the money and then effectively erasing it, they removed the US as the de facto economic weathervane/indicator/etc. of the world. A power vacuum like that is basically unprecedented in modern times - it could give rise to new currencies, but with this episode's mention of "taking control/power" and destroying records and bloodlines of land, ownership, etc., it feels to me more like they're pushing towards statelessness. Without a central economy, a nation could cease to be a nation - without the means to pay people to write, enforce, and interpret laws, it wouldn't necessarily devolve into anarchy, but it would create a different entity to which people belong, and require a different form of discourse/diplomacy.

This is all going in a very weird direction, but I'm glad we're moving away from the wild time travel scenarios.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I hope it ends like this, a massive EMP bomb from the dark army. I mean, the dark army is hardcore as gently caress so it could happen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV28waq9YbA

EMP bombs are typically very small yield, a massive pulse generally requires a nuclear weapon or a non manmade event such as a coronal mass ejection.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

This is starting to feel like Fringe to me - and while that show was fun at first, it also got bad quick. I'll watch the next episode but I'm not about the third.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

nickmeister posted:

One thing that really disappointed me was that Eliot never got revenge on that drug dealer for killing his friend. But I guess he was bigger fish to fry now, lol!

The show keeps coming back to this idea of "nobody has died/will die" like some sort of alternate reality. What do you want to bet that she'll be his reintroduction into the final season when they get to whatever conclusion Sam Esmail is aiming for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I bet nothing because that's an idiotic premise which reduces the stakes of everyone's collective actions to 0.

I dunno why all of you want to buy in to clearly crazy Angela's delusions. Considering her connection to Price it seems plausible to me that Whiterose is simply having her drugged and abused to A)gently caress with price and B) maintain a well placed asset in E-corp.

That even Elliot was saying she sounds crazy should give you some indication of where the show is headed.

Yeah, this show has never tried misdirection. Not even once.

• Locked thread